Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Am I off base to think that El Chupacabra is constructed playable compared to the removal we've currently got in standard? 4 mana unconditional giving you 2 for 1 value by leaving behind bears? If you don't need to exile or hit a PW (admittedly big ifs) better upside than Contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I appreciate this post.

I am glad somebody understood what I was going for there. :)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Arterial Flux - 1BB - Each oponent discard two cards. If you control a Vampire, each oponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
phew, I was worried this Standard was in trouble when it only had three Mind Rots in it. Being able to play 16 should help a lot.

Tainen posted:

Each player chooses any number of creatures under his or her control with a total power of 4 or less, then sacrifices all other creatures under his or her control.

Finally, the answer to Carnage Tyrant for which we've all been waiting.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
11 days till the next B&R update. If they haven't had all the pros they hired for the Play Design Team testing these cards against energy for the last few months they messed up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

Disperse in the Wind 2U
Instant
Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.

This set is so loving bizarre. Kinda wonder if it's because of the weird, between set structure thing that maro mentioned in his article.

for actual content, have a man-o-war that doesn't work when you want a man-o-war to work

"Fathom Fleet Mutineer"
3U
Creature - Human Pirate
Raid - When "Fathom Fleet Mutineer" enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, you may return target creature to it's owner's hand.
3/2

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tainen posted:

Disperse in the Wind 2U
Instant
Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.

I guess you could reanimate emrakul and then cast her. Could be good when you use Nahiri to put Emrakul into play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess you could reanimate emrakul and then cast her. Could be good when you use Nahiri to put Emrakul into play.

even if this were possible it seems kind of win-more

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That’s like textbook win-more

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tainen posted:

Arterial Flux - 1BB - Each oponent discard two cards. If you control a Vampire, each oponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

This wins 2HG at the prerelease so hard lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Well this seems its either going to be terribly broken or totally useless.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That seems pretty good. A looting effect that transforms into a repeatable channel that doesn’t cost you life?

Does the flip condition interact favourably with split cards?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this card may be extremely good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Not even a Legendary land. This is a 4 of in Hidden Stockpile/Anointed Procession servos (whatever clever name people are calling that deck).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

That’s like textbook win-more

More like textbook warning for game rule violation, for targeting Emrakul with a colored spell

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did they do a rules primer yet for this set? It's unclear to me if you lose the city's blessing if you are at 10+ permanents and then drop below 10.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Did they do a rules primer yet for this set? It's unclear to me if you lose the city's blessing if you are at 10+ permanents and then drop below 10.

Yes they posted it on Monday. Once you get the blessing you get it for the rest of the game even if you drop below 10 permanents.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/rivals-ixalan-mechanics-2018-01-01

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Well this seems its either going to be terribly broken or totally useless.

It's broken. This card is loving insane. A 2 mana artifact that tapped and looted for 1 seems just fine without flipping to make infinite mana...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's broken. This card is loving insane. A 2 mana artifact that tapped and looted for 1 seems just fine without flipping to make infinite mana...

And the infinite mana of one color? A simple fireball/emmy/whatever? What a bizzare card to print. I figure it will be expensive.

Getting 5 cards of various cmc is quite a hurdle though.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Does the flip condition interact favourably with split cards?

quote:

708.4b The mana cost of a split card is the combined mana costs of its two halves. A split card’s colors and converted mana cost are determined from its combined mana cost.
Example: Assault/Battery’s mana cost is {3}{R}{G}. It’s a red and green card with a converted mana cost of 5. If you cast Assault, the resulting spell is a red spell with a converted mana cost of 1.

Unfortunately not. Still, it's completely busted if you have enough CMC variation in your deck. (I suspect it'll have more value in eternal formats though.)

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Do lands count as having a cmc of zero?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Matsuri posted:

Unfortunately not. Still, it's completely busted if you have enough CMC variation in your deck. (I suspect it'll have more value in eternal formats though.)

You mean, the formats where almost every playable card except FoW costs between 1 and 3?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

You mean, the formats where almost every playable card except FoW costs between 1 and 3?

Lands are zero. :smug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

And the infinite mana of one color? A simple fireball/emmy/whatever? What a bizzare card to print. I figure it will be expensive.

Getting 5 cards of various cmc is quite a hurdle though.

Control decks usually have the widest variety of CMC's and that is the deck this thing fits the best in... You'd have to build your deck around it slightly but I don't think you'll have to do much... Even if it didn't flip with huge upside, it would see play.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Control decks usually have the widest variety of CMC's and that is the deck this thing fits the best in... You'd have to build your deck around it slightly but I don't think you'll have to do much... Even if it didn't flip with huge upside, it would see play.

And even more, control decks control the top of their decks more with scry effects.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

God I wanna run Grixis Gateway Control and cast a giant Torment of Hailfire.

ShaneB posted:

And even more, control decks control the top of their decks more with scry effects.

Remember you don't have to exile the card you draw, it can be anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

This set is so loving bizarre. Kinda wonder if it's because of the weird, between set structure thing that maro mentioned in his article.

Something definitely feels different about the designs. A bunch feel novel for the sake of being novel, whilst being mostly crap, like they were designed by a rookie designer without much allowance for power. Some stuff does seem potentially strong though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Seems ok

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

Seems ok

The color pie!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So the lootifact is definitely worse than Merfolk Looter, but it still seems immensely playable in standard. Is there a use for it outside of there?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

The color pie!

How is this not black?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love how the Gateway interacts with Azor's revelation effect. :getin:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

So the lootifact is definitely worse than Merfolk Looter, but it still seems immensely playable in standard. Is there a use for it outside of there?

Casting a game-ending Sphinx's rev or secure the wastes, I guess, in UW control?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

How is this not black?

Removal that gains you life I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateNu posted:

I love how the Gateway interacts with Azor's revelation effect. :getin:

You mean the life gain?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

Pharika's Cure

Sorin's Thirst

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Not to be a butt, but:

Pharika's Cure
Tribute to Hunger
Corrupt

Have done stuff like this before. Gaining life through doing bad stuff is on color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Pharika's Cure

Sorin's Thirst

vicious hunger

it's normal vampiric flavor