Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mycroft Holmes posted:

people today with access to more raw information than any other period: the earth is flat

german artilleryman in 1916, who barely washes his own rear end: I need to account for the curvature and rotation of the earth when plotting my firing plans

Early modern city dweller: I should drink beer instead of dirty water to avoid getting sick

21st century tech bro: Raw water is better because it still has life force within it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 3rd Jan 1918 posted:

Working Parties. As for the 2nd.

13th KRRC War Diary, 4th Jan 1918 posted:

Preparations were made for the line.
Last couple of days of quiet. About to get much busier.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Early modern city dweller: I should drink beer instead of dirty water to avoid getting sick

21st century tech bro: Raw water is better because it still has life force within it

1300s mom: my entire family died of plague

1880s mom: i've lost 3 of my 7 children to early childhood diseases

1940s mom: my child was paralyzed by polio and now lives in an iron lung

2014 beverly hills mom: diseases aren't real, i'm not vaccinating

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

You know that fate is scraping the barrel when after multiple bouts of poo poo that should have killed you you're hit with something named quinsy

Also that page has him at 39 years old in 1761, when he gets dysentery (**), and then 47 years old in 1779, when he gets the quinsy, which I choose to believe means that even age couldn't touch him.
google it, it loving sucks

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bewbies posted:

2018 beverly hills mom: my child died of an easily preventable disease, obviously Big Pharma is to blame

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

I had it, had to have it lanced, it was the most painful experience of my life. Didn't know it had such a whimsical name though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I know I'm not exactly breaking new ground here, but I re-read Band of Brothers. I first read it in my teens, I am now in my late 20s.

It hit me like a sack of bricks that Ricard Winters was 26 years old in 1944. Most of the guys under his command were barely over 20. When I was 26 years old I was calling my dad to have him explain to me how to cook a chicken without giving my girlfriend food poisoning, when Winters was 26 he was dragging a hundred loving kids around Europe, while trying to have as few of them murdered as possible. It's discomforting that most of the people who fight in wars are younger than I am now, and I barely feel like a functional adult. War is lovely.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

I had it, had to have it lanced, it was the most painful experience of my life. Didn't know it had such a whimsical name though.
good lord

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Geisladisk posted:

It hit me like a sack of bricks that Ricard Winters was 26 years old in 1944.

I'm 42. When Grant took command of the US army during the Civil War, he was 42. When George Washington took command of the Continental Army, he was 43.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HEY GUNS posted:

wait did john adams give his son the middle name of "that horrible disease my boss used to have"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CoolCab posted:

wait did john adams give his son the middle name of "that horrible disease my boss used to have"
quinsey is a horrible disease, Quincy is a dude's name, quince is a fruit with an unusual amount of pectin so people make preserves out of it frequently

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

gently caress, these things are good

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Epicurius posted:

I'm 42. When Grant took command of the US army during the Civil War, he was 42. When George Washington took command of the Continental Army, he was 43.

If you ever want to feel like a total failure in life just remember that Augustus became the undisputed master of Europe at the age of 32. That's after leading his own personal army at the age of 19 and establishing the Second Triumvirate at 20.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you ever want to feel like a total failure in life just remember that Augustus became the undisputed master of Europe at the age of 32. That's after leading his own personal army at the age of 19 and establishing the Second Triumvirate at 20.

No thanks, I'm too busy being sad realizing that all popular musicians and actors are younger than me now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Yeah well they're dead now and probably had lice a bunch so

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Linkage: Field reports on the Browing Automatic Rifle during WWI

something something can't handle mud something Hundred-Year Failure something

:v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Linkage: Field reports on the Browing Automatic Rifle during WWI

something something can't handle mud something Hundred-Year Failure something

:v:

Now I'm really curious how much the gun was improved between the wars. I've never heard of complaints of that sort from WWII, and I have to wonder if they fixed some of the problems or if it was just a difference in conditions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah well they're dead now and probably had lice a bunch so

And gout!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Better, or possibly worse, depending on which side of 25 you're on-

quote:

The same Dr. Webb was on one occasion counsel for Peter Mulligan, who made an application before the Recorder of Dublin for a license for a public-house. The applicant was only twenty-five years of age, and the police objected on account of his youth.

‘He is very young for so responsible a position,’ quoth the Recorder.

Dr. Webb instantly rose to the occasion:

‘My lord,’ he said, ‘Alexander the Great at twenty-two years of age had–had crushed the Illyrians and razed the city of Thebes to the ground, had crossed the Hellespont at the head of his army, had conquered Darius with a force of a million in the defiles of Issus and brought the great Persian Empire under his sway. At twenty-three René Descartes evolved a new system of philosophy. At twenty-four Pitt was Prime Minister of the British Empire, on whose dominions the sun never sets. At twenty-four Napoleon overthrew the enemies of the Republic with a whiff of grape-shot in the streets of Paris, and is it now to be judicially decided that at twenty-five my client, Peter Mulligan, is too young to manage a public-house in Capel Street?’

The license was hurriedly granted.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the entire beatles song catalogue was written by the time paul mccartney was 27

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's Prisoner of War Diary

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thursday January 4th 1945

Much milder today, snow thawing a little, but skating continues and from the sports field can occasionally be seen horse drawn sleighs. Great interest aroused on ‘appel’ when a damsel of the ‘Luftwaffenhelferin’ (our equivalent Waaf) was seen marching up the hill. She looked for all the world like her counterpart in England - just as dumpy and round. During the morning our camp was the target for low flying attacks of Foch-wolf 190’s and on one occasion a Junkers 88. Never dreamt that I would ever see ‘goon’ aircraft at such short range!

The mess is a hive of industry these days everyone swotting hard at their respective subjects. Joe Hall is taking his ‘Inter’ in law at the end of the month.

Booked the circuit with Hugh Wagner this morning for an hour - this we regard as our ‘constitutional’. He is a very interesting chap - aged 25 married with 2 nippers (children). Was studying medicine before the war – and has given me useful advice. I am to sit for RSA Inter (Royal Society of Arts International? An exam presumably) a fortnight next Monday. A little mail in the evening – none for me!

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 11, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Geisladisk posted:

I know I'm not exactly breaking new ground here, but I re-read Band of Brothers. I first read it in my teens, I am now in my late 20s.

It hit me like a sack of bricks that Ricard Winters was 26 years old in 1944. Most of the guys under his command were barely over 20. When I was 26 years old I was calling my dad to have him explain to me how to cook a chicken without giving my girlfriend food poisoning, when Winters was 26 he was dragging a hundred loving kids around Europe, while trying to have as few of them murdered as possible. It's discomforting that most of the people who fight in wars are younger than I am now, and I barely feel like a functional adult. War is lovely.

I think one that gets me is Alexander the Great, just with what he accomplished at such a young age. Then for generations even other incredibly famous historical figures like Caeser visiting his tomb and lamenting how little they accomplished in comparison.

I did like the in Mike Duncan's podcast saying how Augustus visited the tomb too, and is probably one of the few people in history who could say "I did better" and not come across as lying to themselves.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i keep mentioning this because a byproduct of my activities is that i know a whole lot about gout now, but rates of gout are up

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thanks a lot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Now I'm really curious how much the gun was improved between the wars. I've never heard of complaints of that sort from WWII, and I have to wonder if they fixed some of the problems or if it was just a difference in conditions.

Durability in muddy conditions is predominately about sealing off the gun from the outside world. Any gun that gets mud into the chamber area will jam. It may fire one or two shots successfully, but it will always jam immediately and the design of the gun determines how quickly you can clean it out and get it working again. Durability against mud generally means that it's very sealed from the outside environment, with tight manufacturing tolerances and an absolute minimum of openings in the receiver that lead to the operating system. Sand is much the same, just not quite as insidious as big gloppy mud clumps.

Contrary to their layman reputations, the AR-15 and Luger are excellent at surviving mud tests because their operating systems are sealed up from the outside environment and open the gun as little as possible when operating. The AK jams quickly when smeared in mud or covered in sand because of the big gap in the receiver; flipping the safety on is sufficient to protect from dropping it in a sandstorm, but it won't stop mud from falling in while firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgP6Fea8zM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX73uXs3xGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAneTFiz5WU&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNw179rHxkQ

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

i keep mentioning this because a byproduct of my activities is that i know a whole lot about gout now, but rates of gout are up

So, what you're saying is you're the Goutfather.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather. (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the Regio Esercito Italiano)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Contrary to their layman reputations, the AR-15 and Luger are excellent at surviving mud tests because their operating systems are sealed up from the outside environment and open the gun as little as possible when operating.

The AR-15, I get, but that toggle on the Luger opens itself pretty widely to the elements every time it fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxhTzkjFKE

That's a lot of places mud can into that you don't want it to.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

I think one that gets me is Alexander the Great, just with what he accomplished at such a young age. Then for generations even other incredibly famous historical figures like Caeser visiting his tomb and lamenting how little they accomplished in comparison.

I did like the in Mike Duncan's podcast saying how Augustus visited the tomb too, and is probably one of the few people in history who could say "I did better" and not come across as lying to themselves.

I remember someone on these forums I think mentioning how unfair that comparison can be; after all, Alexander had his dad hand him a stable realm and a top-class army. Which isn't to denigrate his accomplishments; it's just, if he had to spend the first 20 years of his reign building his power base, would people still think of him in such godly terms? Probably, but still.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

The AR-15, I get, but that toggle on the Luger opens itself pretty widely to the elements every time it fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxhTzkjFKE

That's a lot of places mud can into that you don't want it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_IeAaR5AmU

Looking at the slow motion, the areas that mud would need to get into in order to jam the toggle lock (the bottom where it returns to contact with the frame) are very sealed from the mud when the toggle lock is closed. When the gun fires, all the mud is blown off the sides and leaves none to settle where it can cause a jam.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack2142 posted:

I think one that gets me is Alexander the Great, just with what he accomplished at such a young age.

When Alexander was my age, he was dead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I was researching German WW2 naval radar sets and came across this line: "The various type designations were in fact even more complex than the above indicates, for every small alternation in the type of installation, the function, frequency and other modifications, resulted in the provision of a new code." I felt you might get a kick out of it, and its applicability elsewhere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather. (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the Regio Esercito Italiano)
i think we can all imagine the surly quartermaster who wrote that

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, what you're saying is you're the Goutfather.
i know a lot about gout ok

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bobby Digital posted:

This documentary is a good place to start: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIlTCJ6CiA

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sarrisan posted:

I remember someone on these forums I think mentioning how unfair that comparison can be; after all, Alexander had his dad hand him a stable realm and a top-class army. Which isn't to denigrate his accomplishments; it's just, if he had to spend the first 20 years of his reign building his power base, would people still think of him in such godly terms? Probably, but still.

Also after Alexander died everything in his newly conquered empire fell to poo poo and it was left to his generals to actually create a sustainable state. If he didn't die he would have spent the next decade of his life putting out bush fires until he had an aneurysm and died anyway.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Hey, early modern boat question.

I seem to recall reading somewhere in this thread that in the early modern period artillerists were a privileged guild that kept their own secrets within themselves and prided themselves on their precise mathematical computations Now, assuming I didn't pull that memory out of my rear end, how did that interact with guns on boats? Did they try to man the guns with trained artillerymen, or did they figure that sailors would get by fine because you can't really expect much accuracy anyways when your firing platform is bucking back and forth all the time? Either way, did artillerymen of the time have any views about the use of guns at sea, or of the men who served them? Would it have been for instance more honorable to aim a siege cannon or a heavy naval gun?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Hey, early modern boat question.

I seem to recall reading somewhere in this thread that in the early modern period artillerists were a privileged guild that kept their own secrets within themselves and prided themselves on their precise mathematical computations Now, assuming I didn't pull that memory out of my rear end, how did that interact with guns on boats? Did they try to man the guns with trained artillerymen, or did they figure that sailors would get by fine because you can't really expect much accuracy anyways when your firing platform is bucking back and forth all the time? Either way, did artillerymen of the time have any views about the use of guns at sea, or of the men who served them? Would it have been for instance more honorable to aim a siege cannon or a heavy naval gun?
As far as I can tell, they were the same guild-like dudes, I have come across no mention of people not liking naval service.* They were also relatively rare as long as a small number of bronze cannon was the norm. Once you move to iron cannon (more numerous) you get more cannon but (in the opinion of the guy who wrote Gunpowder and Galleys) probably less good shooting.

But it doesn't matter because the amount of metal heading downrange has increased by orders of magnitude.

* remember that for a while, and I think especially for the Spanish, naval combat is conceptualized as "infantry combat, on a boat." So you get things like how the spanish have a system where the commander of the soldiers on the boat is supposed to command in combat, which must have been really fun times

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 5, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

otoh if your in your late twenties and dont have a drinking problem then you've out done ol' alex at something

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agean90 posted:

otoh if your in your late twenties and dont have a drinking problem then you've out done ol' alex at something

Well if it was good enough for him,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

* remember that for a while, and I think especially for the Spanish, naval combat is conceptualized as "infantry combat, on a boat." So you get things like how the spanish have a system where the commander of the soldiers on the boat is supposed to command in combat, which must have been really fun times

To be fair, for long periods of time this was basically true. Boats are generally made to be hard to sink, all the more so when they're made of naturally buoyant wood. Until the invention of explosive shells, ship-to-ship weapons tended to be rather poor at making other ships sink. Ramming and boarding was the order of the day for a long, long time in history, and even in the Age of Sail it took a while for everyone to get the message that the day of naval actions being mainly driven by infantry had passed.