Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Apparently D2 development began the day they announced it was being "delayed" a year

If true, it's actually impressive what they managed to accomplish despite all the issues that plague the game. I really feel sorry for the non-lead developers however, who probably put in absurd amounts of crunch to satisfy the "vision" of the higher-ups who have no idea how to manage projects. Must have been absurdly stressful and strained a lot of personal/family relationships, just because some idiots up top don't know what they're doing.

Having said that, however...

quote:

He also talked about how Eververse came to existence. He said:
What Bungie decided was we can't do this any more this is too hard for us to do (referring to releasing a DLC every few months) the tools that we're working with are really hard to deal with. it's hard for us to make this much content. it's just hard to make content in general. And they said we're going to do a smaller or drip feed of smaller stuff and we're going to put up the Eververse and make money that way, and Activision said okay. it was a part of their renegotiated deal and they got to a point where they didn't have to be cranking up so much content

gently caress this game. Very fond memories of D1 but the above quote basically confirms suspicions that the D2 roadmap is turd after turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kenny Omega right now at Wrestle Kingdom is dressed as Osiris, and has a Vigilance Wing.

https://twitter.com/Darrangedd/status/948879701707296770

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 4, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Other companies can do a drip feed of content and may work.

Epic can release a new weapon or item every week, and a bugfix takes hours. It works for Fortnite, so youtubers have a new toy like every week.

They understand the fanbase and embrace it.

What I am saying is that "a drip feed" of content can work in videogames 2018, done correctly.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 4, 2018

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Has anyone got a recommended video for the final raid lair boss. We cant seem to do anything more than piddly damage on the boss so im assuming werw doing something wrong.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hitchensgoespop posted:

Has anyone got a recommended video for the final raid lair boss. We cant seem to do anything more than piddly damage on the boss so im assuming werw doing something wrong.

Are you charging all 6 craniums? Use 3 to take down the shield and the other 3 for DPS. The craniums make a huge difference.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

I've only taken out the boss once, and it was my first run, but you need to use all the skulls.

3 to crack the shield, but three more charged up and ready to go to melt his face.

Beyond that, some of the usual tricks include rally barricades and missile launchers, cold heart, and figuring out where to aim your Void bombs to smack the boss right in the face when his shield is down.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you're quick you can squeeze in two dps phases before each time he does his wipe mechanic. This relies on everyone understanding the fight perfectly and for each platform pair to plan their craniums without being told what to do, it's also easy to run out of ammo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Having said that, however...

gently caress this game. Very fond memories of D1 but the above quote basically confirms suspicions that the D2 roadmap is turd after turd.

:ssh: that's talking about the initial creation of Eververse in D1

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

hitchensgoespop posted:

Same as most everyone else has said: use all 6 craniums and put down rifts/rallies. Trying to put two damage phases in is a lesson in diminishing returns and frustration.

I thought one of us recorded last week, but I can't remember who.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Do you allocate anyone to add control during the dps the final boss stage or does everyone chip in and then concentrate on dps together?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

cvnvcnv posted:

HOLY gently caress

Kenny Omega right now at Wrestle Kingdom is dressed as Osiris, and has a Vigilance Wing.

https://twitter.com/Darrangedd/status/948879701707296770

This loving owns so bad lol

e: And apparently he won the match?! That kinda owns even harder

Wrestling somehow reminds me that most of Destiny’s fanbase never looks at reddit. My next door neighbor is one of these guys, he plays weekly with his six or seven friends, and when I ask him about reddit, he just goes nahhhhhh we get by/gently caress that

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 4, 2018

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Waffle House posted:

Wrestling somehow reminds me that most of Destiny’s fanbase never looks at reddit. My next door neighbor is one of these guys, he plays weekly with his six or seven friends, and when I ask him about reddit, he just goes nahhhhhh we get by/gently caress that
Definitely have to keep in mind that reddit/streamers/people like us are the weirdos in all this and not the norm

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roman posted:

Definitely have to keep in mind that reddit/streamers/people like us are the weirdos in all this and not the norm

Aren't player trackers showing that the playerbase has really tanked, especially compared to D1? It seems that a good chunk of casuals have ditched it as well as the hardcore players.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

SUNKOS posted:

Aren't player trackers showing that the playerbase has really tanked, especially compared to D1? It seems that a good chunk of casuals have ditched it as well as the hardcore players.

We don't have good data, and is normal for a game to lose most players after release. I believe 80% of PC players don't play anymore, 77% of PS4 players don't play anymore, and 75 % of XBox players don't play anymore. But I pulled this numbers from my rear end.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Roman posted:

Chalk one up for "the normies" I guess. Also check out one of the decent Destiny tattoos I've seen in the wild:

I saw another that was cute, done in Ed Hardy/Sailor Jerry colorful style of a Ghost with an, "Eyes Up, Guardian!" parchment beneath it. She was otherwise attractive, too, so it was nice.

I know at least one stay at home mom who plays the game between attending to chilren-related things; I raided in D1 with her, her husband, my coworker, and their friends.

It's just weird to think back that I barely played with goons during my D1 career, and instead most of the friends I made were people I just added on PSN after we ran a particularly awesome crucible match or strike.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Waffle House posted:

This loving owns so bad lol

e: And apparently he won the match?! That kinda owns even harder

https://twitter.com/wresnocontext/status/948880355318288385

Kenny Omega somehow looking better than the actual Osiris yet while still being the same level of dork that Osiris actually is.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/wresnocontext/status/948880355318288385

Kenny Omega somehow looking better than the actual Osiris yet while still being the same level of dork that Osiris actually is.

Where’s that picture of Big Show tearing up when Bungie handed him his own personal Coldheart

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Waffle House posted:

Chalk one up for "the normies" I guess. Also check out one of the decent Destiny tattoos I've seen in the wild:

I saw another that was cute, done in Ed Hardy/Sailor Jerry colorful style of a Ghost with an, "Eyes Up, Guardian!" parchment beneath it. She was otherwise attractive, too, so it was nice.

Lol @both

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Waffle House posted:

Where’s that picture of Big Show tearing up when Bungie handed him his own personal Coldheart

Got you covered

He went to E3 to host a panel about Destiny 2 and spent a lot of it complaining about Titans and badgering Bungie for beta codes.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Policenaut posted:

Got you covered

He went to E3 to host a panel about Destiny 2 and spent a lot of it complaining about Titans and badgering Bungie for beta codes.

lol he loves him gun

I guess he didn't get weepy, just transmogrified into a big bottle of fabric softener:

Is this Steve Carrell?!!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

What good reason do they have to take away mayhem? It’s completely optional.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tei posted:

Other companies can do a drip feed of content and may work.

Epic can release a new weapon or item every week, and a bugfix takes hours. It works for Fortnite, so youtubers have a new toy like every week.

They understand the fanbase and embrace it.

What I am saying is that "a drip feed" of content can work in videogames 2018, done correctly.
The problem is that in D1, it took 18 hours to load a map in for editing, and then another 18 to render it back into a form ready for distribution. I doubt they've changed that much, so it's probably so much of a headfuck that they have to do as much as possible in one pass.

Plus, we don't know how the scripting logic and hooks work, so it might be that safely hooking new triggers into areas other quests cross might be a logistical loving nightmare.

I suspect that this is why most of the DLC takes place in areas you can't free roam in.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

What good reason do they have to take away mayhem? It’s completely optional.

They are bad at this if you haven’t figured that out yet

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem is that in D1, it took 18 hours to load a map in for editing, and then another 18 to render it back into a form ready for distribution. I doubt they've changed that much, so it's probably so much of a headfuck that they have to do as much as possible in one pass.

Plus, we don't know how the scripting logic and hooks work, so it might be that safely hooking new triggers into areas other quests cross might be a logistical loving nightmare.

I suspect that this is why most of the DLC takes place in areas you can't free roam in.

Didn't Bungie say that the whole reason they were ditching the 10 year plan and making Destiny 2 rather than continuing to update the base game was because they were completely revamping their engine so that the problems you described weren't an issue any more? I'm pretty sure they said that was one of the main goals behind the development of Destiny 2.

It was weird reading about those engine issues however because I remember a devlog from before D1 launched and it showed the creation of part of the Moon and it seemed like they had a really solid and easy-to-use engine. They sped the video up but the guy was sat there dragging and dropping assets and crafting areas really easily. I forget which part of the patrol zone it was but the speed at which the guy created a huge area and then spawned in to run around was crazy impressive.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2018

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Tei posted:

This is stupid, DLCs make the game bigger and more desirable. poo poo on item shops are just extras people buy when are happy with the game, but without DLC / Expansions /Whatever you don't have a game to begin first.

Somebody in Bungie don't understand videogames at a fundamental level.

Father Wendigo posted:

Kinda weird seeing level-headed ol' you say this.

I have a fun little theory that tei and abgd are the same person, and we're starting to see the ruse slip a little bit.

Wafflehouse, can you dig around a little and create some kind of info-graph to back me up?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe the infinite forest technology work differently and may free them to create content faster. But I dont believe it because it take them very long to move a comma around a damage number.

Maybe they tried to make a whole engine from scratch and that plan failed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SUNKOS posted:

Didn't Bungie say that the whole reason they were ditching the 10 year plan and making Destiny 2 rather than continuing to update the base game was because they were completely revamping their engine so that the problems you described weren't an issue any more? I'm pretty sure they said that was one of the main goals behind the development of Destiny 2.

It was weird reading about those engine issues however because I remember a devlog from before D1 launched and it showed the creation of part of the Moon and it seemed like they had a really solid and easy-to-use engine. They sped the video up but the guy was sat there dragging and dropping assets and crafting areas really easily. I forget which part of the patrol zone it was but the speed at which the guy created a huge area and then spawned in to run around was crazy impressive.

The "8 hours to move a bush" story has always been suspect for a bunch of reasons, but even if it's mostly true it includes the entire cycle of starting an editing session from scratch, moving the bush, and then saving the result fully into the game asset files. Once you've put in however long it took to launch the editor, open the file, and move one bush, moving a second bush is fast and easy. The editor video only shows off this continuous editing part, not the setup or commit time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Tei posted:

Maybe they tried to make a whole engine from scratch and that plan failed.

I'm pretty sure the truth lies somewhere between these two. The more I learn about how Bungie works, the more I think they probably tried to rebuild the engine from scratch, ran out of time, panicked and had to hastily cobble together a bunch of D1 code to get it out the door. So probably half the challenge in producing content is the nightmare engine they're working.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

el B posted:

I have a fun little theory that tei and abgd are the same person, and we're starting to see the ruse slip a little bit.

I have a mental disability, and lose long term memories, so basically I am a new person every few weeks. Kind of like amnesia, but "soft".

Today I discovered that even if you kill the boss in the first damage phase of Exodus crash, he come back from dead. And that made me sad. I can't point my finger on exactly why.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm pretty sure the truth lies somewhere between these two. The more I learn about how Bungie works, the more I think they probably tried to rebuild the engine from scratch, ran out of time, panicked and had to hastily cobble together a bunch of D1 code to get it out the door. So probably half the challenge in producing content is the nightmare engine they're working.

Thats what I have figure out. Their reboot+delay was probably a big part of this. What I don't know is how to fit with the PC engine. Did they ported the new and old engine to PC or only the old engine?

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

I have a mental disability, and lose long term memories, so basically I am a new person every few weeks. Kind of like amnesia, but "soft".
Today I discovered that even if you kill the boss in the first damage phase of Exodus crash, he come back from dead. And that made me sad. I can't point my finger on exactly why.
Is... Is this true?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

el B posted:

Wafflehouse, can you dig around a little and create some kind of info-graph to back me up?

Thanks for the sincere compliment but I’m not

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

el B posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re not the same person, but I guess lmk if you need any future hot MSPainted infograms, I’m usually down

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

el B posted:

"hey I'm looking to build a start up, i've got an awesome idea I just need a technical co-founder to do all the work, know anyone interested?"

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I design video game ideas.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
I have a crush on tei

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

everyone has a crush on tei, we should overthrow luke smith and install him as regent

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I am Tei

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
All my buddies playing this with me have jumped ship to PUBG on xbox and I really, really don't want to buy it to play with them like they keep pressuring me to do.

I've never tried it - it DOES look fun, I guess - but I feel like it's a fad that they're going to get bored of and my money is better spent elsewhere.

Honestly might just snag Bethesda's DOOM title on sale.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Why does PUBG look so similar to fortnite?

I played the free version of fortnite and i cant really see thw attraction. I ran around for 20 odd minutes, didnt find anyone then i got shot in the head from out of nowhere. I didnt see another player in the entire time i was playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
DOOM (2016) is good quick singleplayer FPS fun, with a weirdly aggressive playstyle. If you are going to console it though, consider playing around with the button configs because melee on a stick-click is probably less than great.

OTOH, PUBG has been a fad for a long time, and appears to have some real merit (as well as real jank). Maybe ask if any of them is willing to gift you the game on the premise of repayment if you like it?

EDIT : Fortnite's Battle Royale is explicitly made to be jump on the current gravy train of PUBG and King of the Hill and stuff, though has done well looking at twitch numbers and stuff? The original/base Fortnite was a horde defense kind of thing, IIRC.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 4, 2018