Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

And also to be clear, Google didn't put together that chart (blog posts here and here), and that's a statement from AMD PR there, not Google. It's not clear where that image came from and it contradicts the papers themselves in several areas. Spectre cannot be patched in software and it was verified in Ryzen according to the paper. And issue 3 is the one that's driving the PTI software patches, issue 1 and 2 collectively make up the category of Specter exploits. The "software fix" for issue 1, if you can call it that, is patching thousands of individual applications.

Dunno why you're calling me out, I explicitly attributed the statement to AMD PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

The SEC makes you schedule your sales two quarters in advance, it's kinda doubtful that BK knew the exact week that it was going to blow up.

The general approach has been known for a while, but the attempts at the time were not successful.

I think it's more likely that he didn't want to hold more shares than necessary just based on a negative general outlook... a resurgent AMD, a 10nm process that is permanently stuck in the prototype phase, the urgent need for a serious uarch revision, etc etc (all of which are publicly known). Intel still has a lot of inertia in the market, but they are not in a great strategic position as far as the next year or two is concerned and it's likely that inertia will continue to deteriorate.

http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-ceo-krzanich-sold-shares-after-company-was-informed-of-chip-flaw-2018-1

Business Insider posted:

* Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sold off $24 million worth of stock and options in the company in late November.
* The stock sale came after Intel was informed by Google of a significant vulnerability in its chips - a flaw that only became public this week.
* Intel says the stock sale was unrelated to the vulnerability, but came as part of a planned divestiture program. But Krzanich put that stock sale plan in place in October - several months after Intel was informed of the vulnerability.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno why you're calling me out, I explicitly attributed the statement to AMD PR.

I'm not calling out you specifically, I'm calling out that image, because it's deceptive and it's being passed around as authoritative by tech journalists and others when it's not. It took me like a half hour of head-scratching trying to square away what's going on between that image and the papers before someone finally pointed out that's not actually an official source in any way, and then I realized that it's just wrong and/or coming from a very narrow/specific perspective. The "mitigation" for issue 1 is going application by application and patching the bug out, that's not actually a mitigation in any real sense. I'm pretty sure someone just mixed up 1 and 3 and didn't realize that 3 was the one there was a software mitigation for and also the one AMD was not affected by.

Haha holy poo poo, he filed in October? He gonna get suuueedddd

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 4, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not calling out you specifically, I'm calling out that image, because it's deceptive and it's being passed around as authoritative by tech journalists and others when it's not. It took me like a half hour of head-scratching trying to square away what's going on between that image and the papers before someone finally pointed out that's not actually an official source in any way, and then I realized that it's just wrong and/or coming from a very narrow/specific perspective.

Haha holy poo poo, he sold in October? He gonna get suuueedddd

Going to jail my man. Martha went to jail for $45k

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd :lol: hard if he got caught doing something that blatantly obvious but INTC was up like 30% on October 30th after being stuck in the mid 30s for like ever so it's not unbelievable that he wanted to take a bunch of money off the table for a stock that was previously considered a door stop

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

For better or worse, this scene basically goes on in my head whenever I see Paul throwing AMD under the wheels of a never-ending bus, while poo-pooing anything negative about Intel:

"SA AMD Thread Posters posted:

Paul, do you hate AMD?

SA Moderator posted:

You don't have to answer that!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll answer the question. You want me to answer that?

"SA AMD Thread Posters posted:

This thread is entitled!

Paul MaudDib posted:

You want me to answer it?!?!

SA AMD Thread Posters posted:

We want the truth!

Paul MaudDib posted:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! We live in a world that needs frames, and those frames need to be provided by someone. Who's going to do it? AMD? ARM? Intel has a greater responsibility than any of you can possibly fathom You all cheer for AMD and you ridicule Intel. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what Intel knows, that AMD's minuscule marketshare, while tragic, probably saves frames. And Intel's existence, while monopolistic and glacial in advancement, saves frames! You all don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at LAN parties and Reddit, you need Intel in that desktop. You want Intel in that desktop. Intel uses words like "Core", "threads", and "cache". Intel uses those words as the descriptor of a history spent developing something. AMD uses them as a marketing line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to respond to a group of posters who uses the very microarchitecture that Intel provides, and then questions the security flaws of the processors Intel provided! I would rather you all just thank and purchase Intel, and let AMD die away. Otherwise, I suggest you all become electrical engineers and create your own microarchitectures. Either way, I don't give a drat what any of you think you are entitled too!

Do you hate AMD?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel is simply a superio...

Do you hate AMD?!?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DO!

(fwiw,I don't have a preference for either company, just thought it's funny...)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, this last page or two really makes it apparent.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sorry not sorry for baiting the hook

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Going to jail my man. Martha went to jail for $45k

Honestly good riddance. BK has presided over an epic squandering of Intel's leads in process and uarch. Intel is finally just about ready to bring 10nm into action... for 2+0 core laptop chips.

Speaking of, I wonder what this means for uarchs down the road. Intel is going to have to scramble for a fix for Meltdown, even if the impact is mostly limited to databases they won't want to needlessly yield ground. And both AMD and Intel are going to have to fix their speculative execution, I don't see how "just patch every single app, easy! :downs:" is a viable approach at all. Not that I would complain if we went back to document-style Web 1.0 instead of needing 50,000 lines of javascript to render a news article, but...

Will Intel scrap Cascade Lake and future generations and actually do a major new uarch revision? Do they even release Ice Lake at this point? Does AMD have time to ghettopatch Zen2 in time for a 2019 launch?

(bearing in mind that both companies have apparently known about these exploits since last June - which just makes the BK thing even worse.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 4, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not what the paper stated. Maybe you should read it? Or excerpt I previously linked for you?

Does the language difference make any difference in the first image? They state they have empirically tested intel, but AMD has been verified to have attack applicability. Not sure why they would use different language there.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I was referring to Paul's post about the patch.

Really we should all hug.
I know so was I.

I don't think Paul is a bad person/poster. I think he/she does post some good information on plenty other topics. Just anything Intel/AMD is gonna be questionable all too often.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Does the language difference make any difference in the first image? They state they have empirically tested intel, but AMD has been verified to have attack applicability. Not sure why they would use different language there.

They said "empirically verified" and "verified", I'm not sure that's much of a distinction. Also, in the third image they state "experiments were performed" and "vulnerability was observed" on Ryzen, so my interpretation here is they've run it on Ryzen.

Also good news for once, AMD and Intel both think adding mfence instructions can mitigate Spectre. I guess that might have been what that image was referencing. There will definitely be some performance impact, but at least it'll help a bit when running untrusted code in your browser. That would take the attack surface way down IMO.

That seems like an obvious enough fix that I'm unclear on why they didn't come up with this idea sometime in the previous 7 months, rather than the day the vuln went public. Did they just not tell those researchers about it or something?

This whole release has just been a clusterfuck of conflicting information.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Welp.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I'm glad everyone is hating on Intel right now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/948735713440186368

:eyepop:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Haha for having a desktop CPU in it its not even all that thick for a 2017 mid-high end gaming laptop. Its almost like a svelter version of the old school desknote which I haven't seen in a long time.

I kinda wish more companies would do something like that for the gaming/power laptop crowd. Thin n' light is nice but if I really need/want the performance and upgradability I'm happy to sacrifice those things to get it. Especially if it can save some money.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

That seems like an obvious enough fix that I'm unclear on why they didn't come up with this idea sometime in the previous 7 months, rather than the day the vuln went public. Did they just not tell those researchers about it or something?

Imagine what would happen if suddenly all major chip vendors had gone around telling compiler vendors "hey, sprinkle mfence ops liberally around any array traversals and don't ask why"

Did you imagine people would ask why and put a bunch of effort into figuring out why? Because that's what would happen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anyone benched Ryzen yet with KB4056892 ?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

Imagine what would happen if suddenly all major chip vendors had gone around telling compiler vendors "hey, sprinkle mfence ops liberally around any array traversals and don't ask why"

Did you imagine people would ask why and put a bunch of effort into figuring out why? Because that's what would happen.

That's what NDAs are for. Plenty of people outside Intel and AMD knew about this vuln and they managed to keep it under wraps for 7 months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Anyone benched Ryzen yet with KB4056892 ?

There's a bunch of reports on Reddit saying Window's Meltdown mitigation is not enabled on AMD systems so there should be no difference.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

repiv posted:

There's a bunch of reports on Reddit saying Window's Meltdown mitigation is not enabled on AMD systems so there should be no difference.

Holy poo poo, good work for not being dicks Microsoft.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

repiv posted:

yeah take all of that with a grain of salt as there's steps required to activate the mitigations:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/948833769963900929

essentially don't trust any benchmarks as there's too many ways for them to gently caress up and misinform people atm

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah take all of that with a grain of salt as there's steps required to activate the mitigations:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/948833769963900929

essentially don't trust any benchmarks as there's too many ways for them to gently caress up and misinform people atm

You misread his tweet, and he may have misread the article.

Windows Update needs to know that the antivirus isn't going to take down the entire system with that patch. This happens because some antivirus vendors are worse actors than virus makers are. Until it can determine that it won't deploy the patch. Since Windows 8 and 10 come with Windows Defender, the average user is going to get the patch.

Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 users have to have a registry key set because Windows Update on a client that old needs a registry key to know things because it can't go examine the antivirus on its own. Microsoft Security Essentials exist but isn't the default (Windows 7 still ships without built-in antivirus), so things could get interesting.

That this leaves Windows 7 users with no antivirus out in the cold isn't something I'm going to lose much sleep over.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Apple patched for this as of 10.13.2

i was more talking about the performance impact, but yeah this at least makes them look good compared to their recent spate of bizarre security flaws

dont be mean to me posted:

Windows Update needs to know that the antivirus isn't going to take down the entire system with that patch. This happens because some antivirus vendors are worse actors than virus makers are. Until it can determine that it won't deploy the patch. Since Windows 8 and 10 come with Windows Defender, the average user is going to get the patch.

Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 users have to have a registry key set because Windows Update on a client that old needs a registry key to know things because it can't go examine the antivirus on its own. Microsoft Security Essentials exist but isn't the default (Windows 7 still ships without built-in antivirus), so things could get interesting.

That this leaves Windows 7 users with no antivirus out in the cold isn't something I'm going to lose much sleep over.

i continue to be amazed people are still using third party antivirus software in 2018

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 4, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

No I didn't misread the tweet and he understood the article. Defender users are covered, but I doubt benchmarkers are following good security practices and just want to rush out benchmarks to get early hits.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

they just left the desktop headspreader on and everything? since they're that unconcerned with thickness i'm betting the thing will cut off the circulation to your legs if you actually try to use it as a laptop

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If coders can modify the bios to accept chip upgrades that's legit cool.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Generic Monk posted:

they just left the desktop headspreader on and everything? since they're that unconcerned with thickness i'm betting the thing will cut off the circulation to your legs if you actually try to use it as a laptop

never mind the heatspreader - lol the ZIF socket!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seamonster posted:

never mind the heatspreader - lol the ZIF socket!

with the lever arm and everything, not even the twist type. hell yeah.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

with the lever arm and everything, not even the twist type. hell yeah.

What is a "twist type" ZIF socket? I don't know that I've heard of that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

What is a "twist type" ZIF socket? I don't know that I've heard of that.

i dunno what the real name is, but i was talkin about the ZIF sockets in mostly older laptops (back when laptops had sockets) that used like a coin/flathead operated twist mechanism to tension it

like-a-so:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"older laptops" nothing.

Intel still uses a ZIF socket for their mobile products in configurable SKUs as late as Haswell.

edit: Man, Haswell is older than I remember it being.

edit edit: Still being used in Skylake, according to the Precision M6600 service manual. Current model Precision laptops (7500-series) seem to be soldered, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 5, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's what NDAs are for. Plenty of people outside Intel and AMD knew about this vuln and they managed to keep it under wraps for 7 months.

Hmm, fair.

You'd still want to update the compilers ASAP (meaning 6 months ago) because of the enormous lag time between updating a compiler and seeing the results out in the world and I bet someone would notice either the additional code in open sourced compilers or the different instruction output and, presumably, performance.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

My system, wonderfully crowded as it should be. :getin:

I have no complaints about the reliability or performance of the system, which is indeed great, but it seems that in 2017 you just can't build a system without a bunch of "bling bling" LEDs. I obviously "have a problem" with bling bling - and I'd very much like if I could turn off the lights on my 1080 and RAM sticks. :(

You have the exact same case as me, one I purchased in 2011? Based purely on how cheap it was.

Same tangle of cables, same cpu cooler. What cpu is in that? I seriously thought I posted this picture until I looked at the fans.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 5, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
When is Ryzen+ expected to drop?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Initial report blurbs say end of March. Which parts of the lineup get released first can vary greatly between now and then

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reserved predictions for Ryzen+ are that it's basically the same CPU, right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

Reserved predictions for Ryzen+ are that it's basically the same CPU, right?

Essentially, yeah. It's on a slightly improved process, and they will be launching new chipsets (rebadged? i cant think of any new features to add). But they have explicitly said its the same architecture, so maybe a few hundred more mhz?

They could have something up their sleeve, but I'm personally reserved in my expectations too. If yields are good, maybe we get 6 cores all the way down the stack or more aggressive pricing, both of which would be cool for gamers targeting the R5 1600/ i5 8400 bang-for-the-buck zone.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Cygni posted:

They could have something up their sleeve, but I'm personally reserved in my expectations too. If yields are good, maybe we get 6 cores all the way down the stack or more aggressive pricing, both of which would be cool for gamers targeting the R5 1600/ i5 8400 bang-for-the-buck zone.

You mean 8 cores? 1600 (and i5-8400) already have 6 cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

Gpu driver bugs don't cause privilege escalation vulnerabilities across vms, yet
GPUs are a security nightmare, but due to the nature of GPU computing I don't really see what you described happening.

You can do lots of other things, especially in non-vm environments.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 5, 2018