Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VulgarandStupid posted:

The old map was kind of boring and most fights ended up with people hugging trees or the occasional rock. Now they got rid of the trees and lessened the number of rocks. Possibly more important than the loss of the tree trunks themselves, the canopy cover that broke up sight lines is gone. Fights generally take place only in cities or over long distances in the open where it’s impossible to move up since there’s no cover. That’s bad.

Cities at least are fun because you hear foot steps and there are alleyways and all that. Gunfights across long fields are always absolutely retarded, and trees/rocks aren't much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

The old map was kind of boring and most fights ended up with people hugging trees or the occasional rock. Now they got rid of the trees and lessened the number of rocks. Possibly more important than the loss of the tree trunks themselves, the canopy cover that broke up sight lines is gone. Fights generally take place only in cities or over long distances in the open where it’s impossible to move up since there’s no cover. That’s bad.

That reminds me, I had a match where the last circle was this grassy field with nearly no cover. We were 2vs1 and the enemy went prone and we couldn't spot him. We went prone/crouched too and he couldn't see us either so it was basically one big mexican standoff. Eventually I got impatient and tried to move figuring if he shot me he'd give away his position but he had a silencer which allowed him to safely turn it into a 1vs1 and get the win.

What do you do in a situation like that if you have no nades? Spraying the grass gives away your position, standing up together to look for him is really risky, and they're never gonna stand up 1vs2.

I mean we could've camped till the circle disappeared and hope we'd outheal him but that's awful.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I don't disagree with there being too much space that's pointless, but even the open areas feel less death-trappy to me than on the old map. The old map has so many places that are literally open fields with no cover where you're just going to have to run through a massive, coverless kill zone people are already camping, or just take a buggy and storm through it.

yeah the new map just has massive valleys between tall hills/mountains that tend to have people ready to shoot down at you while you try to make it up the side of the hill instead, which is so much worse

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elman posted:

I mean we could've camped till the circle disappeared and hope we'd outheal him but that's awful.
That's what you had to do, I'm afraid.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I find it easier to move up on the new map because there's wadis and small terrain features you can use to break line of sight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jarmak posted:

I find it easier to move up on the new map because there's wadis and small terrain features you can use to break line of sight.

Yeah, generally this. You can, in far more situations, use terrain to your advantage rather than "Walk across an actual field, good luck because you are loving dead."

The gunfights in the urban areas tend to be more fun too because there are more vaultable windows. Are they ever going to fix that on the old map?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Good soup! posted:

The next map should have players shrunk down and you have to fight it out in a massive back yard and a house and poo poo, like green army men

this would own immensely. i loving want this real bad now. "EVERYONE DROP SANDBOX."

jokes posted:

Cities at least are fun because you hear foot steps and there are alleyways and all that. Gunfights across long fields are always absolutely retarded, and trees/rocks aren't much better.

agreedo.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 4, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

"wait, do we want to drop sandbox, swing set, or the grill?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There could be a huge indoor "city" for the house as well. Maybe you can flush yourself to get outside in a hurry, or flush grenades.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My two cents is that I'm not a huge fan of the new map. I think it fixes some of the old map issues but introduces a lot of new ones. And I really don't have fun with the new ones. The new map favors camping because of how incredibly easy it is to find cover in the terrain, and the terrain makes anyone in a vehicle an extremely easy mark. If you decide to take the road instead in a vehicle you'll be sniped by people hiding in the mountains like the sand people from Star Wars. I dunno, it just feels a lot more limited and most of the time boring.

Zaodai posted:

I don't disagree with there being too much space that's pointless, but even the open areas feel less death-trappy to me than on the old map. The old map has so many places that are literally open fields with no cover where you're just going to have to run through a massive, coverless kill zone people are already camping, or just take a buggy and storm through it.

Once you know the timing, the open areas of the old map are really easy to traverse unpunished. The new map is considerably worse with death-traps.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 4, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There could be a huge indoor "city" for the house as well. Maybe you can flush yourself to get outside in a hurry, or flush grenades.

all the vehicles look like Hot Wheels cars too

you're welcome, playerunknown, you can thank me later for these wonderful gaming ideas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah someone rip off pubg but make it army mans thanks. loved those cs maps.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
de_rats :dance:

I prefer Mrangel over Miramar too, but I gotta acknowledge that they once again managed to include fun mini-CS maps in Mirimar by way of Hacienda and Pecado. Those are fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Elman posted:

That reminds me, I had a match where the last circle was this grassy field with nearly no cover. We were 2vs1 and the enemy went prone and we couldn't spot him. We went prone/crouched too and he couldn't see us either so it was basically one big mexican standoff. Eventually I got impatient and tried to move figuring if he shot me he'd give away his position but he had a silencer which allowed him to safely turn it into a 1vs1 and get the win.

What do you do in a situation like that if you have no nades? Spraying the grass gives away your position, standing up together to look for him is really risky, and they're never gonna stand up 1vs2.

You both stand up and move slightly apart and find him. Gotta be ready to stomp the worm.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

The new map favors camping

I'm not sure if you realize how PUBG wins work there friend

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm not sure if you realize how PUBG wins work there friend

And I'm not sure what you mean by that or why you'd think that.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

Good soup! posted:

The next map should have players shrunk down and you have to fight it out in a massive back yard and a house and poo poo, like green army men

As a lover of the Micromachines Nintendo game, I fully support this. Craft weapons like in Small Soldiers. Only if we get a Gyro copter that holds 2 soldiers on the skids like in Giants:Citizen Kubuto

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

i would like a map on the magical island of Sodor. we can all ride very helpful steam engines while shooting at each other from the caboose. just be sure to watch out for the little blue tank engine, he can be cheeky

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

i would like a map on the magical island of Sodor. we can all ride very helpful steam engines while shooting at each other from the caboose. just be sure to watch out for the little blue tank engine, he can be cheeky

Fortnite thread is over there.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fortnite thread is over there.

so de_rats and army men are cool but trains. are. too. much?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Good soup! posted:

So basically a multiplayer army men:sarge's heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LhutMm7k8

lmao this loving game was so bad

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hooplah posted:

So basically a multiplayer army men:sarge's heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LhutMm7k8

lmao this loving game was so bad

Nah, more like de_rats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRkAat9ROA

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/5/56/TVSeriesSodorMap2014.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/2000?cb=20140929154333

lie to my face and tell me that wouldn't be a great pubg map. obviously it's too big but that layout! just be sure to get speed for Gordon's Hill, you wouldn't want to get stuck!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Scrub out the logos, rename some stuff and put it out there as "leaked new pubg map" imo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jerkface posted:

You both stand up and move slightly apart and find him. Gotta be ready to stomp the worm.

Problem is if he has a suppressor you see zero muzzle flash

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know if it was on purpose, but i like how on the new map you're more forced to drive on roads so cars aren't as super awesome for transportation and its a lot easier to hang out around intersections and shoot people using cars

Good soup! posted:

this just makes me long for custom servers and custom map support

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

...this just makes me long for custom servers and custom map support
Ah yes,
"Crouch walk or BAN/no frying pans, automatic weapons or cars or BAN"
Prone crawl backwards and shave your rear end or BAN, no weird haircuts or ball caps

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Antisemitic slurs mandatory

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crane posted:

Ah yes,
"Crouch walk or BAN/no frying pans, automatic weapons or cars or BAN"
Prone crawl backwards and shave your rear end or BAN, no weird haircuts or ball caps

on custom servers you can already set which weapons spawn/don't spawn right? But prone crawl backwards only would be a good time if the only thing available were cars with really low hp so everyone is just exploding.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I’ve been playing for a couple weeks now and have had one top-10 and a handful of top-20’s. Is the optimal strategy really just to camp the poo poo out of stuff until everyone’s dead, then make sure to stay inside the circle?

I’ve been dropping into cities lately to try to get my gunfight on, but I’m an old who has maybe 5-10 hours a week to play at most so uh...I usually end up on the losing end of that. The kills I do get are when some goober wearing (from what I can surmise) ski boots comes clomping up the stairs and I blast the hell out of them as soon as they appear.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Streaming some solo vs squads games again

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dangerllama posted:

So I’ve been playing for a couple weeks now and have had one top-10 and a handful of top-20’s. Is the optimal strategy really just to camp the poo poo out of stuff until everyone’s dead, then make sure to stay inside the circle?

I’ve been dropping into cities lately to try to get my gunfight on, but I’m an old who has maybe 5-10 hours a week to play at most so uh...I usually end up on the losing end of that. The kills I do get are when some goober wearing (from what I can surmise) ski boots comes clomping up the stairs and I blast the hell out of them as soon as they appear.

I like to play aggressively in a squad and a bit more defensively in the solo matches I've played. But in general if I hear gunfire I'll move toward it, even if i don't end up engaging. If I see people/teams fighting it out and the opportunity arises, I want to take out the stragglers.

My best solo game however was spent with a shitton of healing items, just staying in the blue 'til the circle got so small the wall would probably kill me before I could outheal it in safety. Play style, in my limited experience, kind of depends on what kind of drop you end up getting at the beginning-- how many people drop around you, whether the loot is any good, how close to the circle you are etc.

Granted I've only been playing for a week but I've been hitting top 10 a decent amount in squads and a couple times in solo.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
is anyone using audio compression in this game? i unknowingly was because my computer has dolby digital sound which has a volume leveler feature which basically makes quieter sounds louder and louder sounds quieter. a few weeks back i turned it off to see if i could hear better and holy poo poo some noises make my ears bleed!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is this game insanely quiet compared to other applications for anyone else, while we're on the subject of sound? I need to turn Discord nearly all the way down to be able to pick up footsteps in PUBG when I'm playing with a team.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Is this game insanely quiet compared to other applications for anyone else, while we're on the subject of sound? I need to turn Discord nearly all the way down to be able to pick up footsteps in PUBG when I'm playing with a team.

yeah for me it is, even with the game all the way and my volume all the way in general the game seems mixed to be quieter than anything else that might be running. If I get a notification or anything while I'm playing this my head pretty much explodes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If in the plane I can tell there will be a whole city or good loot drop I can have all my lonesome, I have super trouble not jumping. I know it will be a long and mostly boring game, but the loot and top10 are right there waiting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yeah for me it is, even with the game all the way and my volume all the way in general the game seems mixed to be quieter than anything else that might be running. If I get a notification or anything while I'm playing this my head pretty much explodes.

It's really loving annoying, and it doesn't help that stuff like footsteps/backpack rummaging is so much quieter compared to gunfire or the red zone (which tbh I love how obnoxiously loud it is when the game gets hot, but it's a pain when the application itself seems so quiet compared to everything else that I need to be readjusting poo poo on the fly while playing).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Anyone else having problems with taking random damage dropping from your chute and also flying off of buildings when trying to land on them? It's just since 1.0 for me... I don't mind the change in the speed/angle of the drops, just seems I take a ton more random damage and also fly off of roofs that I would surely land on pre 1.0.

And on the sound, yea, it's mixed horribly. I don't mind the loud crate planes and red zones, but they become SUPER loud for me because I feel like I have to turn up my volume to hear footsteps when it is quiet.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've had some weird drops where I land perfectly, but still take chip damage for some reason. It's really loving annoying.

Not as annoying as textures taking forever to load on Miramar, tho! But that's more an issue with my current setup than the game itself. Plus it leads to weird/funny looting phases where I'm levitating through a building and picking poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Anyone else having problems with taking random damage dropping from your chute and also flying off of buildings when trying to land on them? It's just since 1.0 for me... I don't mind the change in the speed/angle of the drops, just seems I take a ton more random damage and also fly off of roofs that I would surely land on pre 1.0.

The best random chute damage is when it cant reconcile where you are compared to where it's trying to move you so it just throws you into a wall at a million miles an hour, killing you instantly. I've just stopped trying to land on balconies or narrow roofs because gently caress that.

And yeah, the sound is horribly mixed, I just deal with redzones and gunfire blowing my ears out to try and hear footsteps.