Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Am I the only person who sees a permanently unread post in this thread in their bookmarks and no other thread? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Am I the only person who sees a permanently unread post in this thread in their bookmarks and no other thread? :tinfoil:
Nope, the thread is definitely broken. I'm also seeing your post as unread as I'm writing this reply, even though I clicked the "quote" button on it to get here. And when the last post was the end of a page it was showing an additional page which, when I tried to go to it, turned out not to exist.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh good it's not just me. Also the show very clumsily retconned most of the original series' mytharc so I am pretty okay with Chris Carter pulling out the ultimate hack writer tool and saying last season was a dream.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Noticed it after I posted :/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Gobbeldygook posted:

An unexplainable ghost post is super fitting for this thread. You can read it, but you have to take mushrooms first.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Please change the thread title to "I impregnated her with science. ALIEN SCIENCE."

According to critics, this episode is far and away the worst of the season. But overall they're saying it's much improved over last, and that the Darin Morgan one even surpasses Were-Monster so we have that to look forward to.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
This episode is so unbelievably bad. The editing, the writing, the story is all awful. You can tell Duchovny and Anderson basically phoned it in.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This episode is great evidence of why Carter is alone in the group of main writers from the original run to never ever be given another chance or land another show after the original run ended. He should have to pay a fee to Gilligan, the Morgan brothers, Wong and Howard Gordon every time he gets to make another season of X Files.

Yesterday was like every hack's worst tendencies combined into one: "it was all a dream," long expository scenes and full on tell, don't show, clunky dialog, etc.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Oh, good, Scully's the damsel in distress again.

Also that ending was skeezy as sweet gently caress-all.

A million :wtf:s of ever-increasing size go here. Even the comments in this thread were not nearly enough preparation for those last few minutes. Even knowing that line was coming.

A million :wtf:s. One million.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, it's no First Person Shooter.

There were a lot of bad X-Files episodes, it's just that nearing 20 years later we now live in an age of Everything I Watch Is The Worst Thing I've Ever Seen™.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Woof. That was awful. The only good part was the great tie they put smoking man in with Reagan in the opening. I guess Skinner got back with his ex, though, or they didn’t bother to have the actor take his ring off?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

There were a lot of bad X-Files episodes, it's just that nearing 20 years later we now live in an age of Everything I Watch Is The Worst Thing I've Ever Seen™.

I'd rather watch First Person Shooter. It had a(n albeit stupid) plot and was decently produced. S11E01 seemed like someone was playing with an X-Files Lego set and was narrating it with lovely voices.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

I go back and watch it through seasons 1-7ish every now and then and I don't recall too many awful episodes in the original run. The only one that is even jumping out in my mind right now is Tesos Dos Bichos. Seasons 8-9 are another story of course but I haven't watched them in a while and so can't really comment.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

There are bad episodes that are just bad episodes. And then there are bad episodes that are so bad that make other episodes retroactively bad. My Struggle III was the latter, first person shooter the former.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The biggest lol for me was the dumpy conspiracy guy (or smoking man, I don’t remember) name-checking the fourth turning and Strauss and Howe, signifiers of self-satisfied middlebrow overconfidence everywhere. Carter must think he’s so smart.

Old-man shove fight was pretty good too.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

business hammocks posted:

The biggest lol for me was the dumpy conspiracy guy (or smoking man, I don’t remember) name-checking the fourth turning and Strauss and Howe, signifiers of self-satisfied middlebrow overconfidence everywhere. Carter must think he’s so smart.

Old-man shove fight was pretty good too.

I'm pretty sure he also misused the term "the end of history" as if it means the end of all human civilisation, which is not what that means at all.

Wikipedia posted:

The end of history is a political and philosophical concept that supposes that a particular political, economic, or social system may develop that would constitute the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution and the final form of human government.

It was a phrase people were throwing around after the end of the Cold War, meaning humanity had turned a corner in it's evolution, democracy had triumphed and everything from now on was going to be just fine. Ha.

I lol'd very hard at the shove fight, mainly at Duchovny's total lack of emotion as he was shoving Pileggi. He has just loving checked out of this now, hasn't he? Does not give a poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maelstache posted:

He has just loving checked out of this now, hasn't he? Does not give a poo poo.

He looks like his diet consists of Marlboros and cheap beer at this point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

He smokes Morleys. Not my brand.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Timby posted:

I had no idea Steve Bannon acted.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I checked out of the X-Files mythos stuff after Season 7 so...uh...the alien rebels and alien not-rebels no longer care about us or something?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I checked out of the X-Files mythos stuff after Season 7 so...uh...the alien rebels and alien not-rebels no longer care about us or something?

There was some overwrought lines in this episode about the aliens no longer wanting a planet with a warming climate and dwindling resources.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

McSpanky posted:

There was some overwrought lines in this episode about the aliens no longer wanting a planet with a warming climate and dwindling resources.

I barely remember the shitshow of last season, but didn't they try spinning it last season that there weren't even loving any real aliens or something and it was all just another layer of obfuscation by the ~real~ conspiracy?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Laterite posted:

I did find myself comparing whose nose had grown more comically bulbous, Duchovney or Pileggi's.

I kept wondering if they put prosthetics on them or something because I do not remember their noses being that large before.

Gillian Anderson has aged tremendously well though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I barely remember the shitshow of last season, but didn't they try spinning it last season that there weren't even loving any real aliens or something and it was all just another layer of obfuscation by the ~real~ conspiracy?

Yes, and this episode walks a good chunk of that stuff back.

Honestly, I can see the strands of a decent mytharc story here - it's a lot of recycled plot threads from past seasons though - but it's written and edited so poorly and feels like a 2 parter condensed into a single episode. There are so many needless monologues, and I could feel David Duchovny increasingly not giving a poo poo each time he had to deliver one.

The fact that it retcons season 10 kept me on board until loving alien science happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mulder and Scully Meet The Were-Monster definitely happened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only the last episode never happened, but apparently everything about the smoking man happened, except he still has his nose and doesn’t wear a phantom of the opera mask.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

None of the characters actually met the Smoking Man in season 10 until that finale though, right? And that didn't actually happen.

Still disappointed in Reyes' heel turn being actually real.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mulder’s shellfish allergy is out of control in this new season.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cael posted:

Please change the thread title to "I impregnated her with science. ALIEN SCIENCE."

Personality quiz, Which voice did you hear this in your head?
A)Professor Farnsworth from Futurama
B)Walter Bishop from Fringe

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

hangedman1984 posted:

Personality quiz, Which voice did you hear this in your head?
A)Professor Farnsworth from Futurama
B)Walter Bishop from Fringe

C.) Walternate

While he's got the death stare on his face. You know the one.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
That was utter dogshit.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Gonz posted:

C.) Walternate

D) Mr. Peterman

sticklefifer posted:

Sorry, friend, retroactively turning En Ami into even more of a "date??? rape" episode is not good television. It's edgelord nonsense.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Still disappointed in Reyes' heel turn being actually real.

Yeah, say what you will about the actress/character, the about-face makes all of zero sense.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

that was trash but so absurd it seemed like self satire, which is sort of redeeming i guess?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Boot posted:

D) Mr. Peterman

Sorry, friend, retroactively turning En Ami into even more of a "date??? rape" episode is not good television. It's edgelord nonsense.

Yeah, say what you will about the actress/character, the about-face makes all of zero sense.

The whole episode had a smell of desperation about it, like they were scrambling for anything to connect the lunatic poo poo in this episode to the old show. “Hey, remember one episode of our show from 20 years ago that we only made because we thought it would be fun to have an actor write a one-off character episode? It’s now central to our narrative.”

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I do wonder what was Davis' original intention for that scene. Carter told EW the date rape was planned since S7, but I'd like to think that was Carter's idea shoehorned into the ep or something.

Then again one of the original draft's scenes for En Ami had CSM teaching Scully how to water-ski, so idek

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just watched this and it really is horrifically bad. It's a very sad thing to see actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ignis posted:

I do wonder what was Davis' original intention for that scene. Carter told EW the date rape was planned since S7, but I'd like to think that was Carter's idea shoehorned into the ep or something.

Then again one of the original draft's scenes for En Ami had CSM teaching Scully how to water-ski, so idek

Carter didn’t even know what would happen in this episode while they filmed the last one. His whole career is painting himself into corners and then spinning ways of getting out. I guess everyone forgot that Scully has already been impregnated with magic alien science children in a twist that reveals it was the government instead of aliens and that smoking man has already been dramatically revealed to unexpectedly be a main character’s father. It’s like the show has Alzheimer’s.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

business hammocks posted:

His whole career is painting himself into corners and then knocking through a supporting wall to get out.

This is how I've heard someone describe Chris Carter's writing on the X-files years and years ago, and it's so damned true.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

McSpanky posted:

But since mankind is the source of both of those problems why not just kill off/convert with black oil the whole human race?! Oh god I'm thinking too much about this show again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I immediately watched "Beyond the Sea" afterward to cleanse myself.

• Locked thread