Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

LoL, "random" ballcap

A ball cap that looks like a Civil War Rebel hat.

Also, "You don't start none there won't be none" has to be the whitest incarnation of that phrase. All it was missing is a ", and" in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aleph Null posted:

A ball cap that looks like a Civil War Rebel hat.

Also, "You don't start none there won't be none" has to be the whitest incarnation of that phrase. All it was missing is a ", and" in the middle.

I'm facepalming so goddamned hard right now.

A Malcolm X hat does not look like a confederate flag and the Milestone line of comics were from black creators.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

LoL, "random" ballcap

Lmao at the racist lips and Liefeld pose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao at the racist lips and Liefeld pose.

I really hope you're joking.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

LoL, "random" ballcap

Oh in the comics he's Straight edge?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys suck at trolling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I really hope you're joking.
It's a bad cover, man. It's not a judgement on the character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

However, since I'm apparently on the same side as Guy Goodbody, I immediately concede the argument.

But I kid, GG, I already dunked on you once today and now it's just mean.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a bad cover, man. It's not a judgement on the character.

Well it was drawn by a well known black artist so I don't really think it's a problem.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not a Liefeld pose, one leg forward with the torso slightly twisted to the side is just a really good way to show musculature. You see some variant of that pose in both bodybuilding competitions and classical art.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

However, since I'm apparently on the same side as Guy Goodbody, I immediately concede the argument.

But I kid, GG, I already dunked on you once today and now it's just mean.

To get that dunk you had to side with a man who believed that North Korea was going to do an EMP attack on the United States like in the blockbuster video game Homefront. A dunk it may have been, but you paid a high price for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not a Liefeld pose, one leg forward with the torso slightly twisted to the side is just a really good way to show musculature. You see some variant of that pose in both bodybuilding competitions and classical art.
Fair enough, I am not an artist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is the cover of the first appearance of Static. The sanitized Static Shock you all know from the cartoons owes everything to that book.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Rhyno is static shook.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It just looks sorta bad for some reason. Either Virgil is too skinny or the black suit hides a lot of the definition that the pose is meant to convey or something. There's just something off about it.

Edit: maybe it's the extra bit of ribcage or the over pronounced lips

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 4, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

It just looks sorta bad for some reason. Either Virgil is too skinny or the black suit hides a lot of the definition that the pose is meant to convey or something. There's just something off about it.
It looks bad because it's a really awkward and unnatural way to stand.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm not black nor do I have black friends (I have no friends).

Therefore I withdraw my earlier comments (but leave them as a testament to my arrogance) and will refrain from further comment on the matter.

This is a serious post. I would be pretty upset if a straight, cis, white guy started making judgments about LGBTQ representation that went counter to what actual LGBTQ people thought.

We don't get it because we are not the target audience. It's okay to not be the center of attention and be "right" all the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Static looks kind of weird in that shot. I was never a big fan of his design. The body suit and cap just looked weird to me.

But I'm blown away that people might actually assume a Malcolm cap is a Confederate cap.

Come to think of... why the hell did Night Thrasher have a skateboard? I read New Warriors and I never remember him riding the thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

But I'm blown away that people might actually assume a Malcolm cap is a Confederate cap.

I'm white and grew up in the south and now I live in the mid-west suburbs. Guess which one of those I saw more of? It's me, I'm the idiot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't mean to call you out. I get that ignorance comes down to personal experience and there's plenty of stuff I'm ignorant to. So its probably my own ignorance to just assume everyone has the same experience and knowledge I have and if I squint real hard I can kind of see how you got "Confederate cap" out of that. It just caught me by surprise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seriously thought everyone was trolling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hadn't heard of a Malcom X hat either. My first thought was "isn't that some Scandinavian country's flag" and second was Confederate but neither made sense so I kept my mouth shut.

Personally I blame MLK-centric history classes that hold him up as the only person of note in the civil rights movement. I know OF Malcom X, but I'd be hard pressed to say what I know about him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was born in Chicago and grew up in Gary Indiana so my knowledge of black culture and history is fairly decent.

Edit: that sounds terrible. Where we lived just gave me a different perspective is probably a better way to say it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 4, 2018

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Just watch the Denzel Washington movie. It's good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
History is a fascinating thing to look into in your tv watching down time. For instance: The only reason that Malcolm Little became Malcolm X was the fact he was an incredibly stupid criminal. Like really, really stupid. Malcolm Little moved around a lot in his life, and had his fair share of troubles. His father was an activist that was almost certainly killed by white supremacists, his mother had a nervous breakdown and had to be institutionalized, and he ended up turning to drat near every crime in the book while in bumming around Flint and Harlem. After a short time doing that he decided to return to the Boston area he'd spent most of his teen years and start robbing rich white families. He would then be arrested picking up a stolen watch he sent in for repairs. It's there he'd have the encounters that actually gave him some focus for his life, and where he'd join the Nation of Islam and start calling himself Malcolm X. Without those years he's probably dead by 30, never having found a way to express his rage.

Which is to say: You don't need comic book shows to find stupid origin stories. Also don't have easily identifiable stolen goods sent in for repairs, Jesus Christ Malcolm that is like crime 101.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So an X-Men crossover I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Does an entirely different production team design these suits or something? I don't mind the other CW costumes but the ones on this show are some next level poo poo.

Well, the glittery lightning bolts are a bit distracting but still. I love this aesthetic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Does an entirely different production team design these suits or something? I don't mind the other CW costumes but the ones on this show are some next level poo poo.

Well, the glittery lightning bolts are a bit distracting but still. I love this aesthetic.

Yes. The original 4 Arrowverse shows shoot in Vancouver, Black Lightning shoots in Atlanta. So yeah they are literally half a continent away from the proper CWverse in every sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. The original 4 Arrowverse shows shoot in Vancouver, Black Lightning shoots in Atlanta. So yeah they are literally half a continent away from the proper CWverse in every sense.

Donald Glover cameo confirmed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How is the schedule stuff falling out again? Still "one show on Monday, two on Tuesday one on Thursday" but the second Tuesday one's gonna flip a bit?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Hoe many times and episode is she going to braid and unbraid her hair?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bruceski posted:

How is the schedule stuff falling out again? Still "one show on Monday, two on Tuesday one on Thursday" but the second Tuesday one's gonna flip a bit?

The Monday slot is flipping between Supergirl and Legends. Black Lightning gets the cushy post-Flash spot for its entire run.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Whoever made this costume needs to make a Booster Gold outfit ASAP

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

howe_sam posted:

The Monday slot is flipping between Supergirl and Legends. Black Lightning gets the cushy post-Flash spot for its entire run.

I feel like I just heard KM squeal in delight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the goggles need adjusting. That spot in the upper corner that's a little obscured seems like a small liability. It looks like the whole thing just needs to be pushed up a centimeter or two.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the goggles need adjusting. That spot in the upper corner that's a little obscured seems like a small liability. It looks like the whole thing just needs to be pushed up a centimeter or two.

Yeah I kinda hate it. The googles thing you mention is baffling. That fuckin' Joann's Fabrics waveform tape they stuck on there looks awful, like they realized at the last second nothing about the outfit invoked electricity and they couldn't do lightning bolts because that's the Flash's thing so they had to think real quick. The belt looks cheap. And the yellow foam padding on her belly and boobs are weirdly shaped.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I can't seem to find reference to the actual setting of the new Black Lightning series: it's not in Pierce's hometown of Metropolis, is it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It seems as if CW is trying to distance Black Lightning from the CWverse shows a bit. He's not in the "suit up" trailer they just dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Autism Sneaks posted:

I can't seem to find reference to the actual setting of the new Black Lightning series: it's not in Pierce's hometown of Metropolis, is it?

IIRC Black Lightning isn't going to be set on either Supergirl's Earth or Earth 1.