Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

RPGnet does kind of have an entire forum made for people who've been banned from it. Or at least that was basically what RPGsite was back in the day. I don't see as much cross-forum nonsense trolling these days.
That's not how theRPGsite started, believe it or not. I know because I was there, way back when, and was one of the first registered members. It started out when Morrus announced both ENWorld and CircvsMaximvs (before it turned into the gamergate hellhole it is today) were going to close, along with a few other sites which have since been lost in time. (I don't remember if this was the Scarlet Lady fiasco or if this was before it.) It was started up by the former tech guy for ENW, and it was very briefly the reincarnation of Nutkinland, but that was for maybe like 1-2 months.

Anyway at some point, Pundit (who was called something else back then) showed up, fresh off his RPGnet ban, and started writing stuff on his Xanga (lol) with links. Soon, the rest of his band of merry devotees started showing up and crapping up the place. Eventually the admin of tRPGs got tired of dealing with it and said, "Hey, Pundit - think you can do better? Here, it's yours." Pundit accepted, and that's how it became the groggy pit of terribleness it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

The saltiest people seem to be the ones who actively disliked the forum well before getting banned for making GBS threads all over it, which is already an unhealthy attitude, and then a decade later they're still Very Not Mad about it together with a bunch of other people who are also Quite Calm Actually. I propose that that is kind of off.

To be perfectly honest, I feel that this sort of mindset is one that SA explicitly encourages and facilitates. You’re encouraged to relentlessly mock and fixate on x, y, or z lovely thing, often to the point where things start to get kind of unhealthy. I never even heard of Pundowski up until I regged here and now I know the dude’s name IRL, his views on the freemasons, and his preferred pipe blends? The Star Citizen stuff here apparently vacillates between mocking a million dollar boondoggle and getting weird and stalker-y? I don’t think that stuff like that comes from a place of anger like you suggest though. Sometimes it comes from an inexplicable fascination, and sometimes it comes from unhealthy fixation. I mean, people are still fixed on Chris-Chan for whatever loving reason.

People who mock SA or rpgnet or whatever other community tend to also come from the same place. Like kiwifarms has threads mocking both SA and rpg.net (and a bunch of other communities) and I don’t think that you can brush their reasons for doing so as them being angry or jealous because they were ostracized from this or that place.

And yeah it’s probably messed up to keep on engaging with and discussing the things you specifically think are stupid and lovely, but isn’t that also the entire purpose for SA?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Well SA doesn't dox people so there's that.

Bedlamdan posted:

To be perfectly honest, I feel that this sort of mindset is one that SA explicitly encourages and facilitates. You’re encouraged to relentlessly mock and fixate on x, y, or z lovely thing, often to the point where things start to get kind of unhealthy. I never even heard of Pundowski up until I regged here and now I know the dude’s name IRL, his views on the freemasons, and his preferred pipe blends? The Star Citizen stuff here apparently vacillates between mocking a million dollar boondoggle and getting weird and stalker-y? I don’t think that stuff like that comes from a place of anger like you suggest though. Sometimes it comes from an inexplicable fascination, and sometimes it comes from unhealthy fixation. I mean, people are still fixed on Chris-Chan for whatever loving reason.

People who mock SA or rpgnet or whatever other community tend to also come from the same place. Like kiwifarms has threads mocking both SA and rpg.net (and a bunch of other communities) and I don’t think that you can brush their reasons for doing so as them being angry or jealous because they were ostracized from this or that place.

And yeah it’s probably messed up to keep on engaging with and discussing the things you specifically think are stupid and lovely, but isn’t that also the entire purpose for SA?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Sure. I’m not trying to say one thing is better than the other thing, just that fixating on the things you don’t like is actually super commonplace?

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 4, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Not so sure about that.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Plutonis posted:

Not so sure about that.

It's been done before so yeah, pot shouldn't go around calling the kettle black. SA is better than a lot of other places but let's not pretend our site is blameless, cause it's not.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'll rephrase: SA wasn't created with the purpose of doxxing people and you will get banned if you do it and post about it here.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ravenkult posted:

I'll rephrase: SA wasn't created with the purpose of doxxing people and you will get banned if you do it and post about it here.

A huge bar to clear

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Plutonis posted:

A huge bar to clear

Apparently!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's one of a few ways to reliably get yourself perma'd, at least.

Back on the topic at hand, sort of, I love how MRH's argument is "Hill is an abuser who drums up his good friends to spread lies about me. I know this because my good friend CAS told me so."

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's certainly interesting CAS has the balls to be accusing anybody of anything. How long has it been, two months?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

ravenkult posted:

It's certainly interesting CAS has the balls to be accusing anybody of anything. How long has it been, two months?
Hm, something like that I think. Let me consult the timeline.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ravenkult posted:

But don't you see, CAS is blameless because he's just too sexy. Also his dad has cancer and now CAS is the only line of support for his sisters and mother. Clearly the fact that he's nice to those four women means that he is a saunch feminist and would not hurt anyone with his strong muscles of steel and his piercing gaze.

Of course he still threatens to sic lawyers on anyone who says otherwise.

And according to MRH by signal boosting these screencaps I'm now part of the problem.

Those two deserve each other.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm certainly not claiming some general and grand superiority for posting on SA, and I suppose "the saltiest" isn't the clearest thing to say, but I was referring to "this specific website is trying to destroy D&D" types. Once you start in on White Wolf mod conspiracies and Cultural Marxism it's a very different conversation than whether mock threads get out of hand sometimes or are a waste of everyone's time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MachineIV posted:

Aw thank you so much. I’m glad you liked it—it’s kind of like my take on Hunter: The Vigil/Buffy: The Vampire Slayer flavored by every bullshit article about millennials killing X, Y, and Z. I just decided to do a book about a millennial that kills monsters to make ends meet because it’s tough as poo poo to be poor.

Oh hey, just fyi I had a friend of mine recommend me this and I read it in an afternoon and thought it was a great, fun, breezy read. I recommended it to someone else. You might have a sleeper on your hands here. I didn't know you wrote it so I just wanted to say good job, you're a solid writer who constructs scenes well and writes effective action set-pieces and I'm gonna check out whatever you do next.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gradenko_2000 posted:

because he's too modest to do it himself, I'm going to shill for him: David Hill's iHunt is about Uber, but for killing vampires. The setting is extremely contemporary, the protagonist isn't cliched, and there's an economic horror aspect that's just as if not more scary than the supernatural beasts. It's the most 2017 book I ever read and I recommend it.

(a sequel is also coming Soon, if I'm not mistaken)

MachineIV posted:

Aw thank you so much. I’m glad you liked it—it’s kind of like my take on Hunter: The Vigil/Buffy: The Vampire Slayer flavored by every bullshit article about millennials killing X, Y, and Z. I just decided to do a book about a millennial that kills monsters to make ends meet because it’s tough as poo poo to be poor.

And ACTUALLY, I just released a sequel on December 31st, because I told myself I was going to release another goddamned book in 2017. It’s called Mayhem in Movieland, and it’s a ghost story inspired by my time working at Disneyland, and the weird urban legends that pop up around theme parks. Specifically the weird story about the skull in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Thanks for the links, I might pick these up come payday. I'm sorry you have to deal with that bullshit as well, MachineIV.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

If nothing else, nobody seems to be taking Hagen seriously outside the usual suspects. I hope your mentions aren't more of a shitshow than usual, David.

Bedlamdan posted:

What did Tollymain do/not do to become a nigh suicidal TG pariah anyways?

Harassed a few women on IRC. Myself included.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, in this day and age, if you're playing 5e, you deserve it. It is so easy to find out about and get better games now that the only reason to play bad games is if you can't get anyone to play anything else, or find anything better to do with your time.

This is easy to say rhetoric-wise, but that precludes the significant amount of people who still use D&D as a gateway drug for tabletop. There are less FLGs due to the rise of Amazon, which for a long time served as tabletop social gatherings in addition to one's own home. Even on YouTube, many official channels for companies like Deadlands' Pinnacle Entertainment get views only in the triple digits, whereas you have big YouTube super-stars like ProJared with series called D&Dcember that gets 100k+ on average. And even when a big series like Critical Role covers a non-D&D game, it's usually part of a one or two episode special as opposed to a years-long running campaign.

And when you look at the other big fish in the pond that is Pathfinder, the labyrinthine rules can scare quite a few people away.

And even if you do manage to find a non-D&D game that you like, it's very hard to actually break out of a D&D/Pathfinder ghetto. This subreddit thread may be a rather extreme example, but it showcases how a lot of people "default" to D&D if only due to familiarity.

It's like World of WarCraft. It's by far the most iconic MMORPG, and there are many other games beside it, due to the power of advertising, name recognition, and many other MMOs of wildly varying quality it's going to have the largest base.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel as though the way to deliver tabletop RPGs from the D&D monopoly (side note: has anybody ever tried to combine D&D and Monopoly) will be to make something targeted directly at the mainstream, marketed heavily, with no acknowledgment of prior art, a novel revenue model, and probably based entirely on phones.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel as though the way to deliver tabletop RPGs from the D&D monopoly (side note: has anybody ever tried to combine D&D and Monopoly) will be to make something targeted directly at the mainstream, marketed heavily, with no acknowledgment of prior art, a novel revenue model, and probably based entirely on phones.

Isn´t that partially what Monte was trying with Invisible Sun? (Except not on phones and still traditional and heavily whale-hunterish due to massive book and dnd-ish rules of course. But other than that ;) )

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Isn´t that partially what Monte was trying with Invisible Sun? (Except not on phones and still traditional and heavily whale-hunterish due to massive book and dnd-ish rules of course. But other than that ;) )

It is also necessary to do it successfully, of course

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr.Misfit posted:

You literally just said "didn't Invisible Sun try this, except it didn't do any of the things you mentioned"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a design challenge: make a RPG that can be played entirely with Instagram (and doesn't require you to be a good artist).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jenna spent some time working on an RPG that you played entirely via Tumblr or some similar kind of online blog platform, but wound up having problems with the content generation aspect.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Normal people want garbage therefore TRPGs should deliver garbage.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isn't D&D Monopoly just the Lords of Waterdeep board game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If wanted to stare at a phone screen for six hours i'd just play candy crush or a mobage

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The trick is digital delivery of content - through lootboxes - on your mobile device.

"NO steve, you don't get to do a full cleave until you roll the feat on the app."

"Susan, for the fortieth time, I don't want to drink the potion because it's a consumable, and that means it'll be deleted once I use it."

I'm gonna be a millionaire.

Original idea, do not steal.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Bongo Bill posted:

(side note: has anybody ever tried to combine D&D and Monopoly)

I ran into this a couple years back:

https://twitter.com/jedi425/status/546801494364672000

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

homullus posted:

There's a design challenge: make a RPG that can be played entirely with Instagram (and doesn't require you to be a good artist).

I can make this happen but I'm going to need lots of sexy cosplayers.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If I recall correctly, that was the basis of Storyscape, Slabtown Games's tablet RPG app. It even had Robin Laws writing the mechanics, and I remember him talking about it on his podcast, especially how the most interesting part of developing it was that its mechanics could be virtually invisible to players, allowing for more complex mechanics than a regular RPG.

Of course, it never got off the ground. I was always intrigued by it and the idea of an all digital RPG, but I'm not sure if something like that would actually be something that people would want.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

I can make this happen but I'm going to need lots of sexy cosplayers.
We did that schtick already and all we got out of it was a transphobic harasser with a secret enemies list.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
RPG Voldemort :doom:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

side note: has anybody ever tried to combine D&D and Monopoly

Shouldn't be that hard to reskin.

"Go directly to the Tomb of Horrors, do not pass Go, do not collect 200gp."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bongo Bill posted:

Parker Brothers has tried. In 2007, something called Monopoly: There and Then. It doesn't appear to have worked.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Mr.Misfit posted:

It also had a minimum backer tier of $200 entry point. I could buy 3 AAA video game RPGs and one or two indie titles with that same amount. Or 20 cheap video games or 4-6 full size tabletop rulebooks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

theironjef posted:

Parker Brothers has tried. In 2007, something called Monopoly: There and Then. It doesn't appear to have worked.

You didn't see the date that got posted, did you.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Well, all joking aside, isn´t that what twine storygames do? Playable on mobiles, mostly multi arced with different outcomes, rpg-like stats and mechanics hidden behind text as a base level of interaction and very simple interaction levels allowing for difference in playthroughs? I suppose the monetization aspect is kinda lacking, but they seem to be kinda popular and easy to make.

Another possibility might be those storygame-like adventure books, Heroes Rising, The Fleet, etc, basically the choice of games. of course theyßre just single-player. Hmm...now that I think about it, aren´t grindy mobile games like Echo Bazaar also hitting that itch?(They´re even monetized, but their multiplayer is mostly incidental....)

Also, I seem to remember a number of mobile games simulating messaging service games. So in that sense, the niche is already being filled, isn´t it? Apologies if I´m rambling, it´s late =/

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Reene posted:

If nothing else, nobody seems to be taking Hagen seriously outside the usual suspects. I hope your mentions aren't more of a shitshow than usual, David.

Nah. Just gotten a few of the same weird random emails I get any time Zoldemort blogs about me. Nothing I can't handle.

Some of this is like... I can't tell whether to be annoyed or amused. He's apparently now going around to people I grew up with trying to dig up dirt on me?

"All these people defending the guy I'm calling a domestic abuser are harassing me. I'm not harassing anyone—I just got into an internet argument with a guy and decided to go interviewing people he played RPGs with twenty years ago over it."

I feel like if he lacked anymore self-awareness, a 1990s White Wolf game about him would say that he could simply cease to exist because self-awareness is the tapestry of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well, all joking aside, isn´t that what twine storygames do? Playable on mobiles, mostly multi arced with different outcomes, rpg-like stats and mechanics hidden behind text as a base level of interaction and very simple interaction levels allowing for difference in playthroughs? I suppose the monetization aspect is kinda lacking, but they seem to be kinda popular and easy to make.

Not really. For one thing, those are single-player. For another, there's a huge difference between interactive fiction and role playing, for the players and especially for the authors/game masters.

Unless you're referring to something totally different than what I'm thinking of.

• Locked thread