Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

Get this out of your showboxes, the time to sell is going to be soon.

Also Scorched Ruins. (Both reserved list too)

:allears:

Read the oracle text.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Shortest Path posted:

Read the oracle text.

The one from 2008? Does that still apply.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Vampires seems more pushed than Merfolk this set and it already had tournament showing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

They don't even work with Blood Sun rofl.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Super-curious to see how many people try wishboards in Modern, even though I think 4 mana at sorcery speed is too much of a cost.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Read the oracle text.

That has never stopped a price bubble based on stupidity

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I like Blood Sun, it seems cool and replaces itself. It just has the dumbest loving name.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It would be neat if Lotus Vale was errata'd back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do have a fondness for the card. Cloud of Faeries + Lotus Vale is one of the best early things I did in Magic. :allears:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Read the oracle text.

Isn't it a replacement effect? You know, the thing they just changed with the Ixalan rules update so that this interaction does actually work?

E: Hell, I'm pretty sure Blood Sun is exactly what's being referred to when the rules update article says

quote:

Blood Moon and Dimir Aqueduct together illustrate the confusion nicely. This rule said that you ignore Blood Moon to determine that Dimir Aqueduct entered tapped, but then it loses all of its abilities and doesn't trigger. Players learned that specific interaction since Blood Moon saw plenty of play, but then every time an identical situation would come up with new cards, they had the exact same confusion. 

Jabor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

Super-curious to see how many people try wishboards in Modern, even though I think 4 mana at sorcery speed is too much of a cost.

I can see maybe one of them maindeck in esper or grixis or something control as a toolbox card, those are the only long-game decks I can think of who would really benefit from being able to hit their sideboard for an unexpected bonus or grab a singleton wincon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

Isn't it a replacement effect? You know, the thing they just changed with the Ixalan rules update so that this interaction does actually work?

E: Hell, I'm pretty sure Blood Sun is exactly what's being referred to when the rules update article says

Lotus Vale's oracle text is:

code:
If Lotus Vale would enter the battlefield, sacrifice two untapped lands instead. If you do, put Lotus Vale onto the battlefield. If you don’t, put it into its owner’s graveyard.
It hasn't even entered the battlefield to get its abilities removed by blood sun until two untapped lands are sacrificed.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Y'all missed a recent rule change:
614.12. Some replacement effects modify how a permanent enters the battlefield. ... To determine which replacement effects apply and how they apply, check the characteristics of the permanent as it would exist on the battlefield, taking into account ... continuous effects that already exist and would apply to the permanent.

"Lotus Vale’s replacement effect doesn’t apply."

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/948991423772221440?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

code:
If Lotus Vale would enter the battlefield, sacrifice two untapped lands instead. If you do, put Lotus Vale onto the battlefield. If you don’t, put it into its owner’s graveyard.
It hasn't even entered the battlefield to get its abilities removed by blood sun until two untapped lands are sacrificed.

MisterOblivious posted:

Y'all missed a recent rule change:
614.12. Some replacement effects modify how a permanent enters the battlefield. ... To determine which replacement effects apply and how they apply, check the characteristics of the permanent as it would exist on the battlefield, taking into account ... continuous effects that already exist and would apply to the permanent.

"Lotus Vale’s replacement effect doesn’t apply."

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/948991423772221440?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

$$$$ Dollar bills yo. (of course I didn't buy any)

Scorched ruins is especially funny because its a 3$ reserved list card that is about to be 40.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

This was pre-Young Peezy, but the answer then was still Goblin Recruiter.

UNBAN GOBLIN RECRUITER!!!!

Just let me play him in legacy gobbos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AceClown posted:

Thank gently caress Aetherworks Marvel is banned.

This would be fine with Marvel. It's just a big dude.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

code:

That's how it worked before. They literally just changed how this works in the Ixalan rules update.

Here's the current text of the relevant rule:

614.12 posted:

Some replacement effects modify how a permanent enters the battlefield. (See rules 614.1c-d.) Such effects may come from the permanent itself if they affect only that permanent (as opposed to a general subset of permanents that includes it). They may also come from other sources. To determine which replacement effects apply and how they apply, check the characteristics of the permanent as it would exist on the battlefield, taking into account replacement effects that have already modified how it enters the battlefield (see rule 616.1), continuous effects from the permanent's own static abilities that would apply to it once it's on the battlefield, and continuous effects that already exist and would apply to the permanent.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Read the oracle text.

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

You are so cute.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

i loved that card as a kid, it had a very powerful interaction with twiddle

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

lol gently caress off

Reprint moon you cowards

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I looked at Lotus Vale earlier today and there were pages and pages of them available and now they are all gone. Oh well

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alris posted:

lol gently caress off

Reprint moon you cowards

They did in MM17 and as an Invocation! Those count because *mouth immediately fills with worms*

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Lotus Vale is gone, which makes "sense" but what is the appeal of Scorched Ruins outside of Eldrazi? Would it add Simian Spirit Guide like it had in Modern to get it out by turn two?

(I don't play legacy much so if I'm missing something else busted about it please let me know.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How bad does Blood Sun gently caress over the older formats like legacy and vintage? Does it make the diamond mana decks stronger?

InterrupterJones posted:

Lotus Vale is gone, which makes "sense" but what is the appeal of Scorched Ruins outside of Eldrazi? Would it add Simian Spirit Guide like it had in Modern to get it out by turn two?

(I don't play legacy much so if I'm missing something else busted about it please let me know.)

A land that taps for 4 colorless that comes into play untapped is loving powerful in about any deck. The issue is the setup I guess.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

How bad does Blood Sun gently caress over the older formats like legacy and vintage? Does it make the diamond mana decks stronger?

A land that taps for 4 colorless that comes into play untapped is loving powerful in about any deck. The issue is the setup I guess.

8 moons is pretty happy about turn 1 moons that shut off fetches, improve their City of Traitors, and also cantrip

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheKingofSprings posted:

8 moons is pretty happy about turn 1 moons that shut off fetches, improve their City of Traitors, and also cantrip

Yeah, but at the cost of having to change the name of the deck. :v:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

That makes sense, and it also seems to shut down Lands if it hits.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

InterrupterJones posted:

That makes sense, and it also seems to shut down Lands if it hits.

One fun interaction is that you can play Depths under a Sun, then blow it up and get your 20/20.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

As a Lands player, this card scares me a little bit. I doubt it'll see the extensive play Blood Moon does because it's not great against most decks. But man; there's going to be that ONE GUY that doesnt want to lose to Lands that packs a playset and ruins my day

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cards about to spike

Grove of the burnwillows
Bounce lands with red in them.
All tron cards. Especially r/g tron.

If you have them and want to sell them, it should go up very soon.
If you are for some reason wanting to build tron, buy now or regret it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Walked posted:

As a Lands player, this card scares me a little bit. I doubt it'll see the extensive play Blood Moon does because it's not great against most decks. But man; there's going to be that ONE GUY that doesnt want to lose to Lands that packs a playset and ruins my day

I don't think it will see play in legacy because of it's interaction with fetches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it will see play in legacy because of it's interaction with fetches.

Aren't the legacy decks that don't use fetches and ramp the target of this card for use?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Dragon Stompy/Mono Red Sneak are probably the decks that want it the most.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Cards about to spike

Grove of the burnwillows

Oh yeah, that's right, this proactively shuts off Ghost Quarter and Tec Edge, geez

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Aren't the legacy decks that don't use fetches and ramp the target of this card for use?

Why would they play this over blood moon?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Cards about to spike

Grove of the burnwillows

:lol: I ddint even think about that with Blood Sun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Why would they play this over blood moon?

It draws a card and makes your lands better instead of turning them into mountains?

It also hurts fetch land decks more turning their fetch lands into unusable poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wait how does Blood Sun improve Grove of the Burnwillows?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Its used in modern decks that will want to play it while also just turning into a regular dual land.

Even if it doesn't, burnwillows is a staple in g/r tron and its 10 bucks currently. That could turn into 20+ if the deck takes off at all or is speculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

It doesn't. People are not thinking. The lifegain is PART of the mana ability.