Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Standalone, but if youre running the pre-packaged version of Home Assistant (hass.io) there are packaged addon versions of Homebridge available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There are so many god drat ecosystems and it's all confusing. Tell me if I've got this right:

Hue Bridge is a hardware device and talks to the Hue Lights over Zigbee which is a mesh network. Z-Wave is another network, but Hue Lights don't use it.

SmartThings/Wink are hardware devices with Zigbee and Z-Wave antennas, and can communicate with Hue Lights over Zigbee directly, replacing the Hue Bridge (i.e., I can throw the Hue Bridge away and everything will still work), or it can augment your home setup by controlling things your Hue Bridge can't, including sending commands to your Hue Bridge to control the Hue Lights indirectly.

Echo/Alexa is a hardware device that can communicate with a Hue Bridge, but does not have the Zigbee antennas needed to communicate with the Hue Lights. This in my mind makes it "not a hub" but more like a remote control.

HomeKit w/o Apple TV is just using Siri to turn on and off your lights. When I tell Siri to turn off my lights Siri calls a Hue Bridge API to do it.

HomeKit w/ Apple TV is like Alexa, "not a hub", but can set schedules and automations natively (compared to having to use eg IFTTT with Alexa). Again, Siri/HomeKit needs to call a Hue Bridge API to do things.

Home Assistant
Python based automation server that can do everything Alexa/Echo and Siri/HomeKit can do and more. Telling HA to turn off the lights will make it call a Hue Bridge API which means I need the Hue Bridge. I am assuming that if I used a Zigbee antenna then I can throw my Hue Bridge away and let it communicate with my Hue Lights directly. In this regard whatever Home Assistant is installed to can act as either a hub like the Hue Bridge, SmartThings, or Wink. Without a Zigbee it can still communicate with my Hue Bridge to command the lights.

Homebridge
Is a software based "hub" that lets me trick HomeKit into thinking it's a real device. Use cases are to add unsupported devices to HomeKit, or for me what I'm more interested in is being able to say "Hey Siri, do a thing" and have it trigger a complicated set of sequences, perhaps programmed in Home Assistant.

Is that vaguely correct?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are so many god drat ecosystems and it's all confusing. Tell me if I've got this right:

Hue Bridge is a hardware device and talks to the Hue Lights over Zigbee which is a mesh network. Z-Wave is another network, but Hue Lights don't use it.

SmartThings/Wink are hardware devices with Zigbee and Z-Wave antennas, and can communicate with Hue Lights over Zigbee directly, replacing the Hue Bridge (i.e., I can throw the Hue Bridge away and everything will still work), or it can augment your home setup by controlling things your Hue Bridge can't, including sending commands to your Hue Bridge to control the Hue Lights indirectly.

Echo/Alexa is a hardware device that can communicate with a Hue Bridge, but does not have the Zigbee antennas needed to communicate with the Hue Lights. This in my mind makes it "not a hub" but more like a remote control.

HomeKit w/o Apple TV is just using Siri to turn on and off your lights. When I tell Siri to turn off my lights Siri calls a Hue Bridge API to do it.

HomeKit w/ Apple TV is like Alexa, "not a hub", but can set schedules and automations natively (compared to having to use eg IFTTT with Alexa). Again, Siri/HomeKit needs to call a Hue Bridge API to do things.

Home Assistant
Python based automation server that can do everything Alexa/Echo and Siri/HomeKit can do and more. Telling HA to turn off the lights will make it call a Hue Bridge API which means I need the Hue Bridge. I am assuming that if I used a Zigbee antenna then I can throw my Hue Bridge away and let it communicate with my Hue Lights directly. In this regard whatever Home Assistant is installed to can act as either a hub like the Hue Bridge, SmartThings, or Wink. Without a Zigbee it can still communicate with my Hue Bridge to command the lights.

Homebridge
Is a software based "hub" that lets me trick HomeKit into thinking it's a real device. Use cases are to add unsupported devices to HomeKit, or for me what I'm more interested in is being able to say "Hey Siri, do a thing" and have it trigger a complicated set of sequences, perhaps programmed in Home Assistant.

Is that vaguely correct?

You missed Google Home to go along with Echo. Also, your list is pretty "Hue"-heavy. Hue is just one of many smart lightbulb providers. Most smart light bulbs OEM's don't make a bridge/hub thingy, you just use your own zigbee or zwave hub or device.

Home Assistant can't do everything Echo or Google Home can do because Home Assistant is a piece of software, not a hardware device with microphones.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thermopyle posted:

You missed Google Home to go along with Echo. Also, your list is pretty "Hue"-heavy. Hue is just one of many smart lightbulb providers. Most smart light bulbs OEM's don't make a bridge/hub thingy, you just use your own zigbee or zwave hub or device.

Home Assistant can't do everything Echo or Google Home can do because Home Assistant is a piece of software, not a hardware device with microphones.

e: It's Hue heavy cause those are the only devices I have and I thought it'd be better to just speak in terms of my specific use case. I didn't know about the light bulbs though, I thought they all came with a hub device (though tbh Hue and Tradfri are the only ones I know about).

I ignored Google Home because I don't use Google anything other than search.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 4, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thermopyle posted:

Ive seen people hook a mic and speaker up to a RPI with HomeAssistant and the Google Assistant plugin installed and its basically a DIY google home.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

There's also the Echo Plus that does have a Zigbee radio in it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

What switches are you using that dont operate locally? My Z-wave ones still control the lights even when the hub is turned off, let alone when the network is down.

None! But I am putting together a system for my house now and am wary of it, and it does seem to be an issue if you're not careful. From what I was reading, Using the multi-tap triggers for HomeSeer switches with SmartThings involves using a Custom Controller, meaning that it stops being local. Apparently this might explain some of the widely varying experiences people have been having with them.

For my own purposes I'm doing a Home Assistant system, but am debating between the HomeSeer (multi-tap can be used as a scene control, adds to the Z-Wave mesh, good LED compatibility) and Caseta (supposedly very robust/responsive, proprietary network which is no big deal but doesn't help overall mesh for Z-wave devices, no native scene control options, complexity of the bridge interface+plugin vs all Z-wave protocols, supposedly very picky with LEDs). I ordered one of the HomeSeer dimmers to give it a test drive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Matt Zerella posted:

Ive seen people hook a mic and speaker up to a RPI with HomeAssistant and the Google Assistant plugin installed and its basically a DIY google home.

Yeah, there's even an official Google kit for making a Home-esque Assistant device with the RPI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, there's even an official Google kit for making a Home-esque Assistant device with the RPI.

Be aware that this does not have full functionality and is a bit tricky to even get to work with Chromecasts. It's decent hardware if you want to tinker with directly voice activated devices but if you want a Google Home device just buy a Mini.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I use the classic Hue App, Lightbow (basically makes light shows. Usually has to be massaged into working but cool when it does) , Hue Party (used to suck but is pretty good now) which changes your lights to music, and Hue Camera (another app that has to be massaged into working every time but good at what it does) which tries to match your lights with what is on a display screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hubis posted:

None! But I am putting together a system for my house now and am wary of it, and it does seem to be an issue if you're not careful. From what I was reading, Using the multi-tap triggers for HomeSeer switches with SmartThings involves using a Custom Controller, meaning that it stops being local. Apparently this might explain some of the widely varying experiences people have been having with them.

I don't use the multi-tap at this point (mostly I use Echo), but I've been happy with my Homeseer switches and dimmers, including one 4-way setup.

I have this suspicion that I want to disable multitap processing on the switches to improve latency, but it hasn't been enough of an issue for me to bother figuring out the Z-wave programming to do it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

I don't use the multi-tap at this point (mostly I use Echo), but I've been happy with my Homeseer switches and dimmers, including one 4-way setup.

I have this suspicion that I want to disable multitap processing on the switches to improve latency, but it hasn't been enough of an issue for me to bother figuring out the Z-wave programming to do it.

I went down the rabbit hole today doing my due diligance and found out Insteon has (a) a serial "modem" that lets you address the devices directly without the hub and (b) this allows you to use a full "local push" model for HomeAssistant (as opposed to polling through the hub, which you do with the Caseta). I'm going to keep that in mind, since I am also starting to think the multi-tap functionality won't be as useful as I first envisioned, and Insteon has a bunch of great keypad modules (as well as fun stuff like fan controllers). People have complained that the HA component doesn't have as much support as OpenHAB, but it seems pretty robust to me...

TL:DR: trying really hard not to invest $500 in switches only to realize I hate them, so wish me luck!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This thread has recommended the ecobee3 over the nest in the past. I see now there's an ecobee4, does the recommendation still stand for the new version?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hello, anybody know anything about junky Zclever security cameras? Mainly I've been trying to figure out why my uncle's app stopped working. It doesn't work on my phone either. Just says the devices aren't connected... when they are. It even pops up sometimes. It also works on Wifi but stopped working on the Verizon network. I also tried it on my Sprint reseller and no go. I'm just gonna blame it on the ATT being down because I spent two hours loving with it and nothing.

Anyways it's kinda junky all together. Is there another DVR/app solution that we can just plug all 16 Zclever cameras into that's less Chinese half words strung together with no support? They use what looks like some kinda BNC connectors, is that standard? The interface on the actual DVRs is also lovely and slow. Would like something smooth and easy to use for someone who calls me to reboot his computer (that's a little exaggerated but it's about accurate.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

This thread has recommended the ecobee3 over the nest in the past. I see now there's an ecobee4, does the recommendation still stand for the new version?

The only addition on the 4 is native Amazon Alexa support which may or may not work very well. The ecobee 3 is outstanding, at least for me.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

thylacine posted:

Hello, anybody know anything about junky Zclever security cameras? Mainly I've been trying to figure out why my uncle's app stopped working. It doesn't work on my phone either. Just says the devices aren't connected... when they are. It even pops up sometimes. It also works on Wifi but stopped working on the Verizon network. I also tried it on my Sprint reseller and no go. I'm just gonna blame it on the ATT being down because I spent two hours loving with it and nothing.

Anyways it's kinda junky all together. Is there another DVR/app solution that we can just plug all 16 Zclever cameras into that's less Chinese half words strung together with no support? They use what looks like some kinda BNC connectors, is that standard? The interface on the actual DVRs is also lovely and slow. Would like something smooth and easy to use for someone who calls me to reboot his computer (that's a little exaggerated but it's about accurate.)

Their analog stuff is AHD. There are compatible DVRs out there but one that isn't a dumpster fire is going to cost more than that whole system cost.

http://roxsat.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1335

That's a refurb of the Samsung AHD DVR. I'm not a huge fan of Samsung's interface but that should get you consistently works but is frustrating.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

Their analog stuff is AHD. There are compatible DVRs out there but one that isn't a dumpster fire is going to cost more than that whole system cost.

http://roxsat.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1335

That's a refurb of the Samsung AHD DVR. I'm not a huge fan of Samsung's interface but that should get you consistently works but is frustrating.

Thanks, the app finally started working again, but he still wants another DVR, and he's willing to spend like 600-800 dollars on a new system that doesn't gently caress up 'cause what good is a security system that fucks up exactly when you might need it?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is switching to IP cams an option? How many cams?

E: Nevermind... 16+ NVR would be hard to do for that price

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 5, 2018

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Is switching to IP cams an option? How many cams?

E: Nevermind... 16+ NVR would be hard to do for that price

He might be able to get by with 12 or so, and he isn't attached to the cameras the Zclever device uses. He'll re-install, re-run the cables. I read the reviews on that Samsung linked above and people say it has lots of problems with the app so that's out.

If it costs $1k he'll pay it, just needs something that works 100%, and while I appreciate the $20 he gives me every time I have to go over there and push buttons for him I don't want to do it all the time.

I'm just not 100% sure what I should be looking for. When I search for security cameras on Amazon tons of the lovely $150 with 10 cameras lovely junk comes up.

Is Lorex any good? What's the advantage of IP cameras? Feel free to point me to a page explainin' this poo poo.

I could use the same cameras with this one right if I could get the controller separate?

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-mpx-cameras/4mp-hd-camera-home-security-system/2KMPX1616-1-p

And he'd have to re-run cables for this one.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/high-definition-surveillance-camera-system-with-2mp-cameras/LN10802-166W-1-p

"FLIRCLOUD" sounds like an app that would work. Maybe even has the interface in 100% good English.

Thanks again for the help buds.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Oh the joys of trying to find a DVR that isn't a massive pile of poo poo/ security vulnerability.

I just rolled a blue Iris server for my parents place, but that also comes with it's own issues if you are trying to limit your tech support role. There is a huge learning curve for the setup, and I still have my doubts about network security for it unless it stays behind a VPN but that would cripple fun features like geofencing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I have also rolled 2 Blue Iris systems - a very large one for work, and a personal one for home. I personally wouldn't use an NVR or any other software package, but as was stated there's a decent learning curve with it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

thylacine posted:

He might be able to get by with 12 or so, and he isn't attached to the cameras the Zclever device uses. He'll re-install, re-run the cables. I read the reviews on that Samsung linked above and people say it has lots of problems with the app so that's out.

If it costs $1k he'll pay it, just needs something that works 100%, and while I appreciate the $20 he gives me every time I have to go over there and push buttons for him I don't want to do it all the time.

I'm just not 100% sure what I should be looking for. When I search for security cameras on Amazon tons of the lovely $150 with 10 cameras lovely junk comes up.

Is Lorex any good? What's the advantage of IP cameras? Feel free to point me to a page explainin' this poo poo.

I could use the same cameras with this one right if I could get the controller separate?

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-mpx-cameras/4mp-hd-camera-home-security-system/2KMPX1616-1-p

And he'd have to re-run cables for this one.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/high-definition-surveillance-camera-system-with-2mp-cameras/LN10802-166W-1-p

"FLIRCLOUD" sounds like an app that would work. Maybe even has the interface in 100% good English.

Thanks again for the help buds.

The FLIR IP stuff is rebranded Dauha. It will be fine. The difference between analog and IP is transmission method. IP is over a network, analog is direct runs. For home users the difference boils down to router or no. Personally if I had to do a system for family, I'd go with Hikvision cameras and depending on camera count XProtect Essentials or Blue Iris.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What hue app are yall using and why?

I have Hue Pro on my phone because it has a nice widget setup.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone looking for real security cameras should probably be looking at Hikvision USA stuff. Fantastic quality, very powerful. Reliable. Make drat sure you get USA models not International.

Forget all the other consumer garbage. Hikvision is the real deal.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I set up my first smart lights last night. Sengled Classic bulbs, Samsung Smartthings Hub, Google Home. My wife and I were turning on and off lights no problem last night. Well apparently, after I left for work this morning, she could no longer control them, and I had to turn them off using the Smartthings app (well I didn't have to she could use the wall switches). So obviously the problem is that my phone isn't physically in the house. I dug around the Smartthings app and found where to invite her, I assume once she's got the app and accepts the invite she'll be able to voice control stuff? Will she have to set up anything else, like linking Smartthings to Google Home app on her phone?

Also, for the future, is there a way for me to just allow voice control regardless of where mine or my wife's phone is? We're going to be out of town towards the end of the month and I don't want my mom to have to install Smartthings just to control my lights (and possibly thermostat if we change that out before we go).

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I have pretty much the same set up except for an Osram bulb instead of Sengled and my roommate who has no access to the smartthings account can turn on and off the bulb with Google Home whether I'm home or not.
Couple things to check:
  • Is the Google Home giving her any sort of error message when she tries to turn on/off the light?
  • Can you control the light using the Google Assistant on your phone instead of the Smarttthings app?
  • In the Home app under Home Control, is your bulb listed under "SmatThings / Samsung Connect" or is it listed under "Virtual and other devices"?
    • If it's the latter you're going to have to disconnect Smartthings from the Home app, go into the Smartthings app, go to SmartApps under the automation tab and make sure Google and Google Assistant are both gone from the list, then re-connect Smartthings in the Home app.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

McPhearson posted:

I have pretty much the same set up except for an Osram bulb instead of Sengled and my roommate who has no access to the smartthings account can turn on and off the bulb with Google Home whether I'm home or not.
Couple things to check:
  • Is the Google Home giving her any sort of error message when she tries to turn on/off the light?
  • Can you control the light using the Google Assistant on your phone instead of the Smarttthings app?
  • In the Home app under Home Control, is your bulb listed under "SmatThings / Samsung Connect" or is it listed under "Virtual and other devices"?
    • If it's the latter you're going to have to disconnect Smartthings from the Home app, go into the Smartthings app, go to SmartApps under the automation tab and make sure Google and Google Assistant are both gone from the list, then re-connect Smartthings in the Home app.

Well apparently it told her that the lights weren't set up, but also the Home Mini in our bedroom would let her control the lights, but the full size Home in the living room would not. The lights show up in the Google Home app under the Samsung header.

I guess when she gets home I'll turn off my phone and see if it lets her control them.

Quick Edit: I just turned off my phone and the Home still turned on/off lights. Maybe it was just a hiccup when she tried initially and it resolved itself before she left.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 8, 2018

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a good solution for controlling windows from a Google home? Want to be able to open Spotify/play Netflix/whatever on my PC from voice.

Have a Samsung smarhub wired in there if that helps anything. Not afraid of programming as I do it for a living but plug n play would be ideal

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Whats the cheapest way to monitor the temperature of several rooms (say 4)? It doesnt need to tie back into an automation service or anything. I just wanna know the temperature of these rooms and make graphs with them and poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Whats the cheapest way to monitor the temperature of several rooms (say 4)? It doesnt need to tie back into an automation service or anything. I just wanna know the temperature of these rooms and make graphs with them and poo poo.

How DIY do you want to get?

5 years ago I did this. More discussion of the project if you keep reading down the thread there.

Pics of making the sensors: http://w4t.pw/78

Graphs of temperature: http://w4t.pw/79

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The cheapest and simplest way I can think of would be to stick a $5 Ikea Klockis in each room. It has a temperature range of 32-122 degrees Fahrenheit.

This being the HA thread, though, if you have a z-wave hub you could throw in some Monoprice Motion/Temperature Sensors and set up an IFTTT applet to record temperatures to a Google Sheet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DIY is fine though I was thinking of a wireless solution.

Ive done a bit more research on this and I think Ive figured out my first project. Is there a general Raspberry Pi thread anywhere I might be able to ask questions in or would I have better luck on reddit?

Im thinking of picking up a Raspberry Pi Zero W and attaching some kind of thermocouple on it that continuously polls the current temperature. Then Id set up some kind of REST service (note: I have never worked with REST anything before so thatll be a learning experience too) that can give me the current/last recorded temperature. Of course Ill connect it to a non internet facing WLAN.

Thats the first phase. Second phase would be to get a second Raspberry Pi Zero W and set it up, but now I want to network them together via some kind of mesh. My idea would be that instead of pulling the temperatures of each RPZW individually, that each RPZW would be able to extend and access each others state. Kind of like a cluster I guess with all nodes able to act as the head node. I have no idea how Id implement the mesh part but Ive seen quite a few hits come up on a basic search.

Third phase would be to making these diy sensors compatible with HomeKit though it wouldnt be of much use since I dont have a smart thermometer but itll teach me about making diy sensors, which would be useful to know.

I guess Ive got some more reading to do. Maybe Ill make a thread in project logs just to keep track of everything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, theres a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084

mewse
May 2, 2006

The ESP8266 microcontroller has integrated wifi and makes possible stupid tiny and cheap temperature sensors

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Google home stopped turning my hue lights on and off. :( What the deal yo. Tried resetting everything, downloaded hue updates, no dice.

It says it's doing it, but nothing happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Google home stopped turning my hue lights on and off. :( What the deal yo. Tried resetting everything, downloaded hue updates, no dice.

It says it's doing it, but nothing happens.

So you don't get the extended wait and "Hmm... something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds" but you get confirmation and nothing? I've had that happen from time to time and usually the light comes on eventually. I've been thinking it's connectivity issues with my router, perhaps similar or related to something like this. Unfortunately if it's Google Homes causing my connectivity issues I can't really test it since it's the Google Homes I'm having the problems with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm looking to put adjustable color temperature bulbs in a few rooms, are there any others worth looking at aside from Hue?

I need the small thread base, the one mostly seen on candelabra-style bulbs, which makes it more complicated. Everyone and their cat sells full-size bulbs but almost all the ceiling lights in my house are the small-base ones installed in fixtures that would be a lot of effort to replace.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I know a lot of people in this thread dont like the Nest security camera but after a year of using the outside and indoor cameras I really cant complain about the ease of use. Sure you pay like 50 bucks a year but the ease and clarity of the cameras really make up for it. In a sense its idiot proof and therefore perfect for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

wolrah posted:

I'm looking to put adjustable color temperature bulbs in a few rooms, are there any others worth looking at aside from Hue?

I need the small thread base, the one mostly seen on candelabra-style bulbs, which makes it more complicated. Everyone and their cat sells full-size bulbs but almost all the ceiling lights in my house are the small-base ones installed in fixtures that would be a lot of effort to replace.

If you can find some, make sure to post here - I want to replace the lights in my ceiling fans with adjustable smart lights but they're all the candelabra-style bulbs too, so we had to buy a light fixture to stick our Hue bulbs into. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
If you have room in the fixture, you can buy adapters (e12 to e26?)