Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

My school has straight up told me that I can't get off probation, that it's indefinite until I graduate.

I looked up the regulations, and nope you can get off of it if your cumulative GPA is over 2.5.

I talked to financial aid, they tell me it's up to Records & Admin. Records says it's Financial Aids territory.

:bang:

Go to the dean of students?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

McNally posted:

Maybe. I'll talk to Records again when the semester starts, if they still can't help me then I'll try the dean.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Best thing I learned in the military, if you have the book on your side always escalate to the higher power.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

Last time I did that, he said he "couldn't" do anything, made a snarky comment about his tax dollars and my tuition, then told me to keep in touch if I needed anything else and retired three weeks later. rear end in a top hat.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Last time I did that, he said he "couldn't" do anything, made a snarky comment about his tax dollars and my tuition, then told me to keep in touch if I needed anything else and retired three weeks later. rear end in a top hat.

So you're saying that you haven't spoken to the dean of students. :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Naked Bear posted:

Log that complaint. gently caress that poo poo. You wanna start complaining about tax dollars going where I don’t want them to go, I’ll start with paying for a bunch of loving bullshit.

Go back, I’d be pissed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
School admin people from the lowliest peon to deans are not used to being stood up against.

Magic word for deans/senior administration: You're clearly not understanding my problem, perhaps Congressmen [name]'s office should be whom I'm talking to next.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, I realized a good while after the fact that I should have done that, I was just too pissed to think of it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If I was 20 again I might fall for that poo poo. Now I'm going to wreck poo poo and salt the earth.

I really have trouble relating to things on the same level as other students or even professors. I don't feel like I should be the one laying out organization to a set of PhDs and planning ahead, getting detailed, setting expectations etc etc. All the small poo poo that makes things run smoothly and easily. I'm just an old masters student, not their loving boss walking them through the first day on the job what the hell.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Does anyone have tips for dealing with insomnia/making sure you knock out by 10? I need some poo poo that isn't "read a book like 2 hours before" or "drug yourself with OTC sleep meds 2 hours before." I'm not always going to be at home early enough to do the first part (though it helps greatly) and the second part just has me groggy. Can't find the article either but apparently knockout drugs tank the quality of sleep you get so you aren't as refreshed as you would be otherwise. I do my best to practice good sleep hygiene like the doc told me to but this coming semester I got a late class that'll have me home by 9 at best and I'm up by 4 the next day. If the previously mentioned advice is all there is, then gently caress it. I'm gonna take these meds and force the issue. I got strong af coffee to deal with morning groggyness and enough alarm clocks in the house to wake up a barracks full of retards.

What do? I just wanna loving sleep when I'm supposed to. I remember being able to sleep anytime, anywhere when I was in. What happened to that superpower?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I started taking 2.5mg to 3mg of chewable melatonin whenever I really need to sleep. It isn't a super knockout drug and I've had multiple times where I've taken it and remembered I had homework and did that instead, but it does allow me to shift my brain back when I'm actually in the bed trying to fall asleep instead of getting stuck in weird semi-asleep brain loops where I'm still thinking at full speed for hours and not sleeping even if it's total nonsense thoughts.

If you take too much it'll make your head swim and it'll be hard to sleep because it feels like the room is spinning like if you spun around in an office chair. My mom has sleeping issues too and tried dosing at ~8mg of melatonin and it kept her from sleeping, but when I gave her the smaller chewables I was taking they worked for her.

I think I've had maybe one night in the past semester where I wasn't able to fall asleep while taking the stuff and it was because I was super excited about a new game and also stressed about a paper I was writing and I couldn't stop thinking. Normally I'd have two to three sleepless nights where I couldn't fall asleep unless I stayed up way too late when I wasn't taking it before.

It's also nice that it gets out of your system relatively quickly, so even if you're just taking it to get three or four hours of sleep you'll wake up normally still. I usually take it fifteen to thirty minutes before I'm getting in bed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Go to bed at the same time every night. If you can’t fall asleep after 15-20 minutes, get out of bed and do something relaxing and easy on the brain for a half hour or until you feel sleepy. I read.

Have a pre bedtime ritual that lasts 10 minutes or longer. I let Monty out, wash my face and brush my teeth in that order at the same time every single night.

Wake up at the same time every day regardless of what time you went to sleep the night before.

Don’t do anything but sleep and have sex in your bed. Find other places to nap.

Set aside the same time during every day to nap. I nap from 12:30 to 1. I don’t let myself nap at any other time. No naps after 3pm.

No caffeine after 5-6pm.

Hydrate but not so much you’ll wake up to pee every two hours.

Took me a month before I started noticing a difference but my sleep is improved a lot. Now I just need a nice bed.

E: one smaller tidbit of advice. If you have a bunch of poo poo to do, do it. Stop procrastinating and putting things off to another day. Knowing that you did everything you had to do that day makes falling asleep a lot easier.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 2, 2018

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

Does anyone have tips for dealing with insomnia/making sure you knock out by 10? I need some poo poo that isn't "read a book like 2 hours before" or "drug yourself with OTC sleep meds 2 hours before." I'm not always going to be at home early enough to do the first part (though it helps greatly) and the second part just has me groggy. Can't find the article either but apparently knockout drugs tank the quality of sleep you get so you aren't as refreshed as you would be otherwise. I do my best to practice good sleep hygiene like the doc told me to but this coming semester I got a late class that'll have me home by 9 at best and I'm up by 4 the next day. If the previously mentioned advice is all there is, then gently caress it. I'm gonna take these meds and force the issue. I got strong af coffee to deal with morning groggyness and enough alarm clocks in the house to wake up a barracks full of retards.

What do? I just wanna loving sleep when I'm supposed to. I remember being able to sleep anytime, anywhere when I was in. What happened to that superpower?

One of the biggest things is turning off screens a good 90+ minutes from the time you intend to be asleep, more if possible. Electronic screens blast you with specific wavelengths of light that really mess with your circadian rhythm and inhibit the sleep process. If you're studying late, switch to text and notes for your last few hours of studying. Beside that, there's regulating wake-up time, getting more exercise, shifting your meals later (hunger inhibits sleep-promoting hormones), cutting back on stimulants and all the other usual culprits.

EDIT: A mental trick I learned from a 'mindfulness' seminar (whatever, medical school is stressful as gently caress) is to lay still, breathe rhythmically, and focus on relaxing all the muscles in my toes, then feet, then calves, then upwards etc. It's kind of like counting sheep. Works pretty well for me but I still take melatonin most nights because my stimulant intake is pretty irresponsible.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 2, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

TheQuietWilds posted:

One of the biggest things is turning off screens a good 90+ minutes from the time you intend to be asleep, more if possible. Electronic screens blast you with specific wavelengths of light that really mess with your circadian rhythm and inhibit the sleep process. If you're studying late, switch to text and notes for your last few hours of studying. Beside that, there's regulating wake-up time, getting more exercise, shifting your meals later (hunger inhibits sleep-promoting hormones), cutting back on stimulants and all the other usual culprits.

EDIT: A mental trick I learned from a 'mindfulness' seminar (whatever, medical school is stressful as gently caress) is to lay still, breathe rhythmically, and focus on relaxing all the muscles in my toes, then feet, then calves, then upwards etc. It's kind of like counting sheep. Works pretty well for me but I still take melatonin most nights because my stimulant intake is pretty irresponsible.

I started working on mindfulness/meditation after reading "10% Happier". It's really hard to do consistently but it's worth it. There are apps for it as well like Headspace.

Can help to keep a handle on extreme pressure and stress and shut down a lot of the thoughts that keep you lying awake.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I like using the program f.lux and twilight (the phone equivalent) to dim the blue light out of screens automatically past sunset.

It's not a cure all, but rather just another little thing to add onto the suggestions in the posts above.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That's built into windows now, but they call it "night light" instead.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Same with Android

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maintaining close to the same schedule is also a good idea. Set two timers - one about 15-30 minutes before bed and another at bedtime. That'll get you into the habit of closing out your day and getting ready for bed.

I go to bed at 9:45pm. My phone lets me know it's time to wrap up at 9:30. I'm in bed at 9:40-9:45, asleep by 9:55-10pm. On weekdays I'm up at 4:45am. On weekends I stretch that to NLT 10:30pm and get up by 7. The hours are irrelevant, the point is to maintain that schedule.

I try and minimize deviations as much as I can. If work requires more attention, I still try my best to either get it done before or pick it up the next morning. Ever since I made my schedule like this I sleep way better.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Same with Android

Whoa I didn't know/haven't seen that. Gonna dig around in the settings and see what I can find.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That quick menu that you drag down from the top has it in there.

At least on the Pixel anyway

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
iOS also has it

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How hard is it to do graduate school abroad? Anyone here do it? It’s becoming more and more and option.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

How hard is it to do graduate school abroad? Anyone here do it? It’s becoming more and more and option.

Probably hugely dependent on the school and curriculum. I know a lot of people do it, particularly if they want to move to their host nation

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That last part is pretty spot on.

Looking at a school in Italy or Germany. Don’t plan on coming back.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
School started again. It feels like I forgot almost everything I learned in my Persian class last quarter and today was a whole lot of fun trying to remember how to say basic things.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Same but it's every day when i wake up and with the English language

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Heading up to the offices because fees are due today and I don't know if my certification form got lost in limbo over the christmas break.
Will my stuff get paid before midnight?
Will all my classes get autodropped instead?
Find out on the next episode of aaaaaAAAaaAaaaaa

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Lmao the VA guy for my school isn't back from holiday until Monday. The admissions people said they will extend the deadline for people in my situation (dunno why they didn't let anyone know beforehand)

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to go back to school this semester it all seems so pointless I have no idea what I want to do with myself

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mods change my name posted:

I don't want to go back to school this semester it all seems so pointless I have no idea what I want to do with myself

Working towards something is better than not doing anything so if the only thing that gets you going to class is "get paid" then gently caress it, that's what it is for this semester.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I know that if I didn't go I'd be stir crazy within a weeks time. Just blah, it's like coming off of leave.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

mods change my name posted:

Yeah, I know that if I didn't go I'd be stir crazy within a weeks time. Just blah, it's like coming off of leave.

Knock out some core reqs and talk to some career service people at the different schools at your University. If you take the time you'll find something that piques your interest. Put the work in now and you'll real the benefit later of not having your classes/vocation/life

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo I went stir crazy in the weeks between finals and intersession.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
is it normal that at only 30, while going to school and being newly divorced that i feel like a loving martian at this college poo poo, these people?

jesus christ

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

all apologies posted:

is it normal that at only 30, while going to school and being newly divorced that i feel like a loving martian at this college poo poo, these people?

jesus christ

Yes. I no longer understand teenagers. It's us, we're the olds now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

all apologies posted:

jesus christ

No. My class literally had the professor keep mentioning high school today until I mentioned it had been over 13 years.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
my hot accounting professor said "wow we are both in our 30s now" and it threw me into an existential crisis (she is 39)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
You know what must be done.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Remember A is for Oral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

my hot accounting professor said "wow we are both in our 30s now" and it threw me into an existential crisis (she is 39)

I feel you. One of my Comm teachers is hot as gently caress and was married to a marine but isn’t wearing his name or the ring anymore. If I was single, I would try because she gets me and spurs me on intellectually too. Turned me on to paradigm shift and media issues with today.

My VocRehab counselor just told me about the WEAHS schools. I have a few questions.

Does this mean you can’t use the GI Bill at locations not listed in the WEAHS?
Anyone know how their transferring of credits went if they did something like this?

I probably won’t end up with my masters yet. I’d probably use my GI Bill to go to school for photography in Florence. This is after my current undergraduate degree for communications. I’m then debating on going to a masters program there or just trying to find work.

I’d move in about a year and a half. It’s a possibility and an idea, working out the logistics. Mainly moving back over there.