Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As of Era 2, assuming Wax is not one of the most learned chemists available, Scadrians really ought to be goddamm close to figuring out controlling the Bayer and Hall processes at scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

The first bit I got, but where did the second bit get pointed out? Was it a WoB I missed somewhere? It makes sense, and something like that has been hinted at I just haven't seen it said.

Yeah, it's 'ettmetal,' the stuff that the Southern Scadrians use for their fuel and that cube that created a burst of power - see https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ettmetal or you can search WoBs for 'Harmonium' to see a bunch confirming it.

I was thinking it was also how they made their tech for heat medallions and other usable-by-all things but apparently that's something else.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm really stoked to see the "80s spy-triller era" that Mistborn Era 3 is supposed to be set in. I'm picturing all kinds of crazy Allomancy gadgets.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't there supposed to be one more Wax and Wayne novel before the Cold War But With Magic?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't there supposed to be one more Wax and Wayne novel before the Cold War But With Magic?

Yes. :(

I like W&W but I'm ready to move on now. The metaplot of the this era doesn't do much for me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Still thinking somebody's trying to hemalurgy an entire Lord Ruler together, but then they waxed the uncle so idk.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Still thinking somebody's trying to hemalurgy an entire Lord Ruler together, but then they waxed the uncle so idk.

Oh they absolutely are. Without a doubt. And Suit was hardly the lynchpin. He clearly had people to report to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes. :(

I like W&W but I'm ready to move on now. The metaplot of the this era doesn't do much for me.

I'm pretty excited for Era 3 Mistborn as well, but I really do want to know a lot more about the "Sovereign" and what Suit's organization is up to. The Lost Metal will be the last Wax and Wayne book anyway, so I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the Era 2 plot arcs. But Kelsier's story will obviously still continue. And remember when March said to Marasi that Waxillium was doing his brother's work?! What is Kelsier up to, and how did Wax unintentionally help him? I want answers to these questions before we move on to Mistborn Era 3!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ekeog posted:

Yeah , Lerasium doesn't exist anymore (outside of the bead Hoid prolly still has)

Hoid ingested the bead. He has full-strength Mistborn powers in addition to everything else he's accumulated. Hoid is by far the most powerful character we know of other than the Shards themselves (and to them he's still less than nothing). He's not immortal (though he doesn't fear shardblades) but he's definitely more powerful than the Lord Ruler and Susebron due to the various powers at his disposal.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's only the likely interpretation of (referenced letter). WoB on that fount of power are RAFO.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Frabba posted:

Mistborn stuff
There's certainly precedent for this, isn't it established that Harmony did similar upon ascension, making changes to the nature of Allomancy/Ferchemy that have made it so there are no more full Mistborn, and similarly preventing a recurrence of a "Lord Ruler" powerset?

Scadriel magic potential is genetic, both Allomancy and Feruchemy. The shift from full mistborn and full feruchemists in the original trilogy to single powers existing often in mixes is a sign of the changing genetic patterns of the world. In the original trilogy the allomancy gene was kept extremely potent because the Lord Ruler and his ministry worked to keep it within the nobility and tried to murder any potential half-noble bastards, similarly the feruchemy gene was kept hidden and concentrated by the Terris. In Wax-era Scadriel though there is no authority artificially controlling the genetic bloodlines and as a result both the allomancy and feruchemy genes have diluted and crossed with one another.

In some ways the new system is potentially more dangerous because of how two related magic types can compound on one another. Miles only had 2 single powers, but they combined to make him nearly immortal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Did they ever explain how a world with large amounts of very important metals like gold and iron were burned up to fuel superpowers there'd be enough metal easily mined to make spaceships and stuff?

Or is it just a super metal rich world? Or am I just :spergin: ?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Captain Monkey posted:

Did they ever explain how a world with large amounts of very important metals like gold and iron were burned up to fuel superpowers there'd be enough metal easily mined to make spaceships and stuff?

I don't think allomancy (as we've seen so far) uses enough metal to make an appreciable dent in any planet's metal supplies.

There aren't that many allomancers, and most of them only use their powers from time to time. And for those that exist, it only takes a tiny bit of metal to do amazing things.

But even if they ran it 24/7 for their entire lives, it would almost certainly be less metal than a single car.

And the quality of the metal doesn't really seem to matter. A factory could likely sell their waste metal (shavings, etc) to allomancers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Captain Monkey posted:

To quote a wholly unrelated post written by qntm,

quote:

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

planets are BIG and have A LOT of metal. Or, to keep with the quotations, 'Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is.'

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Plus, Scadrial is a manufactured planet by Ruin and Preservation. And, presumably, magratheans.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Monkey posted:

A WoB addressed this. It would be theoretically possible to burn up the planet's supply of metals, but the allomancers of old burned flakes to tap power. Availability and consumption ate on totally different scales.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

And the quality of the metal doesn't really seem to matter. A factory could likely sell their waste metal (shavings, etc) to allomancers.

Quality matters pretty heavily - if you have it a little bit wrong it's less efficient, more wrong and it makes you sick, very wrong and it kills you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How many mistings/Mistborn do we even really see total in the series ignoring the Atium mistings? 100-200?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

socialsecurity posted:

How many mistings/Mistborn do we even really see total in the series ignoring the Atium mistings? 100-200?

There's probably a bunch we don't see in the original trilogy, as not everyone would have noticed they had them. Plus, Skaa would have kept any powers they had hidden so as not to get killed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

It's implied that 16% of the population snapped into powers when the Mists started attacking people in Hero of Ages, 1% of each of the original Misting types (as a convoluted clue from Preservation's plan that nobody understood). I wonder if a similar percentage of the current population is magic capable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

Plus, Scadrial is a manufactured planet by Ruin and Preservation. And, presumably, magratheans.

And the Lord Ruler's actions could've included pushing countless tons of allomatic metals up towards the surface. Harmony almost certainly would've done so as well to replenish anything lost over time. Hell, considering what they did with the basin area they probably put an overabundance of metals shallow in the crust.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's implied that 16% of the population snapped into powers when the Mists started attacking people in Hero of Ages, 1% of each of the original Misting types (as a convoluted clue from Preservation's plan that nobody understood). I wonder if a similar percentage of the current population is magic capable.

Considering this was allegedly an alteration that Order made later in the pipeline once he realized the limits of his power, I would guess that Harmony didn't stick with it. After all, it's much more in keeping with Harmony for things to be "random", and by "random" I mean probably not actually statistically random but some plot convenient version of it like most fantasy...unless Brandon dorked out on statistics because that's the kind of thing he'd do and then build into his magic systems. Whether the mean is still 16% in the second case is anyone's guess.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

With the setting heading towards manufactured and comercialized magic, this is all probably moot anyway. Them starting to run low on metals might be a good reason to develop space travel though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm still waiting for a form of investiture that lets you change the working size of an object.

Combining fecuchemically Identity altering structures with being able to burn a solid ton of pure steel with Duralumin, boom, instant rocket ship. Add in allomantic mass reduction and using that to shift around rotational inertia to get easy reaction wheels and artificial gravity by centripetal force

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Even with basic iron and steel push/pull powers you could get a lot accomplished in the extremely low-friction environment of space.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm still waiting for a form of investiture that lets you change the working size of an object.

Combining fecuchemically Identity altering structures with being able to burn a solid ton of pure steel with Duralumin, boom, instant rocket ship. Add in allomantic mass reduction and using that to shift around rotational inertia to get easy reaction wheels and artificial gravity by centripetal force

Before Era 2 books, I was hoping that feruchemical mass reduction was actually just diminishing the user's spiritual connection to the planet. No, it turns out that a skimmer really does lower actual mass :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Potato Salad posted:

Before Era 2 books, I was hoping that feruchemical mass reduction was actually just diminishing the
user's spiritual connection to the planet. No, it turns out that a skimmer really does lower actual mass :(

Is that right? I could have sworn there was some Sazed or Wax POV that implied that it reduced weight, that is, the relationship between the feruchemist's mass and the local gravitational force, rather than mass itself. In other words, reducing the planet's pull on their mass and making them lighter in the same way that we'd feel lighter standing on the moon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't remember the exact words, but I do remember which scene: it's when Wax and Steris are at the party in Bands of Mourning. This weird chick comes over and starts grilling Wax about his powers.

Just a couple chapters before they all have to flee the city because it looks like Wax murdered the hostess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't remember the exact words, but I do remember which scene: it's when Wax and Steris are at the party in Bands of Mourning. This weird chick comes over and starts grilling Wax about his powers.

Just a couple chapters before they all have to flee the city because it looks like Wax murdered the hostess.

The rush from the hotel is to me legitimately one of the funniest passages of Sanderson's works.

I am also amazed that I went from resenting Steris in the 1st book, to actually kind of liking her in the 2nd, to absolutely loving her in the 3rd.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Proteus Jones posted:

The rush from the hotel is to me legitimately one of the funniest passages of Sanderson's works.

I am also amazed that I went from resenting Steris in the 1st book, to actually kind of liking her in the 2nd, to absolutely loving her in the 3rd.

Agreed on all parts. Steris's manic "Framed for murder. Page seventeen!" as they dash out just slays me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, that chick is Khriss, author of the Ars Arcanum in the back of each book and the most important in-world researcher of powers. She's also published some very weird things in some of the broadsheets in that book ("Do your metal tools speak to you? We want to hear about it!")

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ekeog posted:

Yeah, that chick is Khriss, author of the Ars Arcanum in the back of each book and the most important in-world researcher of powers. She's also published some very weird things in some of the broadsheets in that book ("Do your metal tools speak to you? We want to hear about it!")

I knew who she was, but I'd missed the broadsheets connection!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Khriss is basically Brandon's continuity manager's female fantasy self insert.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man I really need to look at the broadsheet bits and get a better feel for them. The audiobooks read them out, but still.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The Broadsheets are full of inside jokes. My favorite was at the end of The Ghastly Gondola, when a "young white-haired man" offered to tell the protagonist a story, but she just declined.

Also her cat was named Pinecone Allomouser the Third.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The broadsheets are always super annoying to me because I almost exclusively read them on my phone's kindle app, ao they're annoying to read.

I end up skipping them usually.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What happened to Sanderson? Or did something happen to me? I think Sanderson's first books were great! So was 1st stormlight archive. 2nd was ok, but this 3rd one was turned to pure garbage by the end of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

What happened to Sanderson? Or did something happen to me? I think Sanderson's first books were great! So was 1st stormlight archive. 2nd was ok, but this 3rd one was turned to pure garbage by the end of it.

This is the furthest he's ever stretched one of his stories and it is starting to show hopefully he will adapt for the next one.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Middle book syndrome is my optimistic perception. Stormlight is planned for 10 books, but it's structured as two parts of 5 books each with a gap in between. So really we're in the awkward middle of the first 5, hopefully setting plots up for satisfying payoffs later.

Reading between the lines Brandon had to shuffle a fair number of characters and plots around, and this book spent an unusually large amount of time in re edits. There's a bit of a cascade from WoR where he needed to put Jasnah on a bus for a while so Shallan could grow on her own. Shallan did grow well, but it resulted in a multi death fakeout at the end of WoR where Brandon really didn't intend one and he seemed apologetic when confronted with that frequent criticism. Now I think he's tweaked the story in response to the death fake out criticism (I imagine either the death of Elkohar or Eshonai were moved up as a result to show that not all deaths are fakeouts) and some pacing feels off as a result. Also the fact he didn't originally plan to off Jasnah is starkly apparent in Oathbringer, the other characters barely react at all to Jasnah returning from the dead beyond Shallan being angry for one chapter. Her whole family thought her dead, there needed to be more emotional fallouts and reactions to that.

Pessimistically the story is starting to suffer from character bloat and it's just going to get harder to handle over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Also the fact he didn't originally plan to off Jasnah is starkly apparent in Oathbringer, the other characters barely react at all to Jasnah returning from the dead beyond Shallan being angry for one chapter. Her whole family thought her dead, there needed to be more emotional fallouts and reactions to that.

Ha, yeah, I definitely noticed that. I thought it was some writer's craft thing where he was following the rule "don't have characters recount what's happened because it's boring" but it read like Jasnah going "oh hi Shallan" and then the book continues