Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

Which gpus are most likely to hold value when the big sell off happens? I feel like 570 580 and 1060 will be bad since there are just so many. 1080ti might take a larger hit if the new gen x70 is as good and 400.

I feel like the 1070 is most likely to hold the closest to msrp

Same. I致e bought more expensive 1070s (EVGA FTWs) in the hope that they値l hold their value a little more.

It could also work out that there will be so many 1070s that they end up being worth $200. Who knows?? BITCOIN!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Nvidia 680 and AMD 7970 and 290 are at the end of losing their value while still being fast enough for people to be interested. Everything else has a long way to drop or is so old no one would have one.

I had a 280 that I tried baking in an oven to experiment with reflowing and it died, but it's so old who cares anymore. All cards get cheap enough to barely be worth shipping.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 4, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

craig588 posted:

The Nvidia 680 and AMD 7970 and 290 are at the end of losing their value while still being fast enough for people to be interested. Everything else has a long way to drop or is so old no one would have one.

Not gonna lie, I've considered firing my old 290 up as a self-sustaining space heater.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

I used to be like you. I underestimated the stupidity of Bitcoin.

Says you to the guy idly considering buying a second 1080 to both SLI (:downs:) and mine while idle.

Fauxtool posted:

Which gpus are most likely to hold value when the big sell off happens? I feel like 570 580 and 1060 will be bad since there are just so many. 1080ti might take a larger hit if the new gen x70 is as good and 400.

In that the 1070 is selling for $475 with no problem, you'd be silly to expect the 1170 to drop at $400 unless AMD magically puts out something relevant in the meantime. I'd actually expect the 1070 to take a large hit, on the grounds that it's the most over-bought right now, and as soon as the pressure shifts off of it onto the new hotness, prices are likely to tank.

The 1080ti, likewise, I'd expect to take a good hit, as it is also a bit price-inflated right now, and will lose out as people move to the new 1180 for somewhat better performance and presumably much better efficiency. Less of a hit than the 1070, though.

Oddly, I'd expect the 1080 to take a comparatively small hit, since it's one of the few cards that hasn't gotten terribly jacked up in price by buttminers, and thus simply has less far to fall.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just sold my GTX970 for 」80 less than what I originally bought it for back in 2015, and it doesn't even have the original packaging lol

If I were to buy a 1080ti in this market, would I be an idiot to do so? I'm seeing them sell for ~」700-750 and I've no idea if that's what their MSRP is or if it's overinflated.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cinara posted:

He's talking CAD numbers so your math is a bit off there.

Its actually USD. I dont have any explanation as to why its so high, it blows whattomine out of the water. Occasionally my 1080ti will run at a $13+ a day rate although it pops between that and $8 or $9 constantly. I dont watch my 1080 as closely as I have to remote in for that one.

Since I just switched to a new address I only have 2 days of data on this one

And I can only go back 7 days on the old address, but it still shows a similar thing

DrDork posted:

At $600/mo you're looking at 25-ish days to pay off the 1080 and another 40-ish days to pay off the 1080ti.

Assuming you can actually cash out, of course.

e; I've been getting ~$7-8/day out of MiningPoolHub on a single 1080. There are a few real weird coins that have been paying silly rates lately. No idea wtf they are or why. Also don't care! Gimme mah money, random investment people!

Oh yeah, I hit ROI last November and I cashed out every chance I got before then. It helped that I got the 1080 for $400 flat and the 1080ti for $719 though. I'm holding more these days but everything is all paid off. Conservative daytrading (strictly with my mining gains) has doubled what ive made as well

edit:

This is one of those spikes I was talking about

It will drop back down, but it gets that high so often the average BTC/day rises

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 4, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

If it's actually a big selloff then wouldn't it be none of them? In the event of a big selloff people looking to offload their hardware are going to tank the price and people have been buying the 1060 through 1080 Ti cards line like crazy

The upside of not buying hardware for mining is that you're immune to those kinds of events: you still have an excellent gaming GPU and no reason to offload it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

If it's actually a big selloff then wouldn't it be none of them? In the event of a big selloff people looking to offload their hardware are going to tank the price and people have been buying the 1060 through 1080 Ti cards line like crazy

The upside of not buying hardware for mining is that you're immune to those kinds of events: you still have an excellent gaming GPU and no reason to offload it

i feel like the low-mid cards have it worse because there are so so many more of them and they are less likely to be an actual upgrade for the people buying second hand. The 1070 and 1080ti were made in lower but still huge amounts and will be a large upgrade for most people. I think the casual miners with 1-2 cards will sell off the 570-1060 range cards when the amount/day is no longer worth mining. 1070s and higher will still turn a usable amount of money per day for longer.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 4, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fauxtool posted:

i feel like the low-mid cards have it worse because there are so so many more of them and they are less likely to be an actual upgrade for the people buying second hand. The 1070 and 1080ti were made in lower amounts and will be a huge upgrade for most people

Yeah, I moved from a 290 to a 1060 and it was an absolute sidegrade.

Each of them mined more than enough to pay for themselves though, so free GPUs.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Its actually USD. I dont have any explanation as to why its so high, it blows whattomine out of the water. Occasionally my 1080ti will run at a $13+ a day rate although it pops between that and $8 or $9 constantly. I dont watch my 1080 as closely as I have to remote in for that one.

Since I just switched to a new address I only have 2 days of data on this one

And I can only go back 7 days on the old address, but it still shows a similar thing

Oh yeah, I hit ROI last November and I cashed out every chance I got before then. It helped that I got the 1080 for $400 flat and the 1080ti for $719 though. I'm holding more these days but everything is all paid off. Conservative daytrading (strictly with my mining gains) has doubled what ive made as well

edit:

This is one of those spikes I was talking about

It will drop back down, but it gets that high so often the average BTC/day rises

Have you noticed what algorithm is paying so much? I think it was Keccak

Just curious about which altcoin is the hot new thing rn

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nist5 seems to be the top algo by far right now, but is only on Nicehash Legacy. It's been steadily around $9.50/day for me on a 1080ti but sometimes spiking over 10-11.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I've been using MPH instead of Nicehash, but the one that's been popping up for me and paying out-sized amounts has been Digibyte-Skein, whatever the gently caress that is. When it pops up, though, it's reliably been paying $8-10 on a single 1080. Sadly, there usually isn't enough of it to last for more than a hour or so at a time before switching back to something less profitable, but it's been up enough for me to notice.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Q8ee posted:

that's the exact same poo poo they pulled with me. let me buy without issue, transfer it to another wallet and pay their extortionate fee. fast forward a few weeks, I transfer back to Coinbase, and exchange BTC to GBP (again paying their extortionate fees). I was not once warned that withdrawals aren't available to UK banks

That's pretty ridiculous since they do have a bank account in the UK.

About 3 months ago, I tried to see how easy it is to buy bitcoins as I'm in a special situation: Canadian passport, living in Asia, bank account in the Cayman Islands (I lived there for a few years, worked in IT, nothing at all to do with tax evasion and poo poo).

It was impossible, I have not been able to buy any sort of crypto on any exchanges - I've kept a list of exchanges and why they've denied me. Coinbase wanted to verify my credit card by making 2 small deposits and asking me to input the decimals on their site. Except that my Cayman account is in USD and the test deposits came from a UK account ("FDR12345 COINBASE UK CHEAPSIDE GB"), in GBP - so my bank would automatically convert to USD and so, of course, the decimals didn't match. I've tried a few different times, contacted their support, nothing changed, I gave up.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I値l sell you the bits coin in exchange for amazon credit

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

are fees down yet or is he going to pay $200 for 100 worth?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Oh I've changed my mind since then, no way I'm buying any now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Senso posted:

Oh I've changed my mind since then, no way I'm buying any now.

Sorry, too late

By Bitcoin law you owe me 300 dollars

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sorry, too late

By Bitcoin law you owe me 300 dollars

By now he owes you 330 280 310 250 270!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bottom fell out, now you owe him somehow

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I just checked and 3 1070s were making $18.00+, sounds Iike a spike. Be pretty rad if it holds; at this rate I値l be able to cash out in a few days then switch to their internal wallet so I can withdraw daily.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Get hosed, idiots

wait, what I meant was:

Change in deposit and withdrawal conditions
2018-01-04
Dear NiceHash users!

Recently, we were forced to change our withdrawal fees due to high Bitcoin transaction fees - now we are changing our deposit conditions to NiceHash wallet as well. The changes are as follows:

If deposited amount is less than 0.05 BTC (previously 0.01 BTC), the fee is 0.001 BTC.
If deposited amount is more than or equal to 0.05 BTC, we charge no deposit fee (0 BTC).
There is also a slight change in the withdrawal fee when withdrawing to any Bitcoin wallet from NiceHash wallet. If you are withdrawing between 0.0105 BTC (min withdraw amount) and 0.2 BTC, you are subjected to 0.001 BTC fee (previously 0.0005 BTC). All other conditions remain the same.

Withdrawing funds from NiceHash wallet to Coinbase account remains without any fees!

These changes come into effect January 5, 2018, at 12:00 CET.

Alternative cryptocurrency deposit features are already in the works and we値l notify you about implementation progress in the near future.

Your NiceHash team.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
update: miningpoolhub still works fine, cashes out to ltc with extremely low minimums and market rate transfer fees, is not nicehash

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ahahaha loving amazing

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Get hosed, idiots

wait, what I meant was:

2018-01-04
Dear NiceHash users!

Recently, we were forced to change our withdrawal fees due to high Bitcoin transaction fees - now we are changing our deposit conditions to NiceHash wallet as well. The changes are as follows:

If deposited amount is less than 0.05 BTC (previously 0.01 BTC), the fee is 0.001 BTC.
If deposited amount is more than or equal to 0.05 BTC, we charge no deposit fee (0 BTC).
There is also a slight change in the withdrawal fee when withdrawing to any Bitcoin wallet from NiceHash wallet. If you are withdrawing between 0.0105 BTC (min withdraw amount) and 0.2 BTC, you are subjected to 0.001 BTC fee (previously 0.0005 BTC). All other conditions remain the same.

Withdrawing funds from NiceHash wallet to Coinbase account remains without any fees!

Alternative cryptocurrency deposit features are already in the works and we値l notify you about implementation progress in the near future.

Your NiceHash team.

I dont get it, is that deposits if you were to buy BTC? I'm certainly not charged a 0.001 fee for a 0.001 deposit as it stands

edit: So mining to my nicehash wallet doesnt actually count as a deposit at all, so for now I imagine we're all still good in terms of what most of do in this thread. I'm actually still confused what any of that means because what is a deposit if its not from mining? I guess if you were mining on some other client?

Actually there is a fee but its about 30 cents a ~0.001 deposit

Have you noticed what algorithm is paying so much? I think it was Keccak

I missed this but it appears to be about 1/3 Lyra2Rev2 , 1/3 Cryptonight, and 1/3 Lbry

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 5, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Get hosed, idiots

wait, what I meant was:

2018-01-04
Dear NiceHash users!

Your NiceHash team.

I mean, just withdraw to coinbase for free and then put it wherever you want.

I really hope nicehash, and others like it is also trying to diversify their portfolio outside of just cryptocurrencies. They have access to an enormous amount of distributed computing power that could be incredibly valuable to universities or companies needing to crunch a ton of numbers. If this cryptocurrency thing crashes that could be an enormous benefit to come out of this. The ability to cheaply rent out your computer when you're not using it to earn a bit of extra cash on on the side could drastically increase the amount of available computing power in the world without requiring tons of new hardware to go with it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, just withdraw to coinbase for free and then put it wherever you want.

I really hope nicehash, and others like it is also trying to diversify their portfolio outside of just cryptocurrencies. They have access to an enormous amount of distributed computing power that could be incredibly valuable to universities or companies needing to crunch a ton of numbers. If this cryptocurrency thing crashes that could be an enormous benefit to come out of this. The ability to cheaply rent out your computer when you're not using it to earn a bit of extra cash on on the side could drastically increase the amount of available computing power in the world without requiring tons of new hardware to go with it.

There痴 a cryptocoin for that

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

update: miningpoolhub still works fine, cashes out to ltc with extremely low minimums and market rate transfer fees, is not nicehash

With all these huge numbers getting thrown around claiming you earn vast sums of money from MPH, I had to go actually investigate the drat thing and the answer is that no, touching the poop is still a bad idea. Fine, they're probably legit, but you get paid in Litecoin or whatever other internet pog which is completely useless to me and cannot be turned into actual money in any reasonable way. I live in Sweden and have a bank account denoted in Swedish crowns. Coinbase proudly claims that it "is available in your country" and states that bank transfers to European bank accounts only take 1-2 business days. There's only this small problem that Q8ee posted about earlier: to let you withdraw, they first require that you deposit from the account you're withdrawing into, and they only support doing this in Euro. I'm not going to open a different loving bank account for this. Money laundering via Amazon gift cards is also out because Amazon doesn't even operate in Sweden and I'm not that interested in shopping from Germany, paying stupid amounts of money for shipping only to get my packages lost by DHL.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TheFluff posted:

With all these huge numbers getting thrown around claiming you earn vast sums of money from MPH, I had to go actually investigate the drat thing and the answer is that no, touching the poop is still a bad idea. Fine, they're probably legit, but you get paid in Litecoin or whatever other internet pog which is completely useless to me and cannot be turned into actual money in any reasonable way. I live in Sweden and have a bank account denoted in Swedish crowns. Coinbase proudly claims that it "is available in your country" and states that bank transfers to European bank accounts only take 1-2 business days. There's only this small problem that Q8ee posted about earlier: to let you withdraw, they first require that you deposit from the account you're withdrawing into, and they only support doing this in Euro. I'm not going to open a different loving bank account for this. Money laundering via Amazon gift cards is also out because Amazon doesn't even operate in Sweden and I'm not that interested in shopping from Germany, paying stupid amounts of money for shipping only to get my packages lost by DHL.

Looks like you値l miss the crypto currency revolution due to living in a backwater eurotrash town then, sorry

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Opening a new bank account is pretty painless. A couple clicks on your existing banks web portal to give you piece of mind that you aren't giving your actual banking info to exchanges.

Perhaps that is common sense but I'd hope no one is giving out their primary bank account information to exchanges.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Perhaps that is common sense but I'd hope no one is giving out their primary bank account information to exchanges.
That's some hope

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Opening a new bank account is pretty painless. A couple clicks on your existing banks web portal to give you piece of mind that you aren't giving your actual banking info to exchanges.

Coinbase actually does have my primary banking info lol, and technically you can make ACH checks against that

whats the point of living without risk though

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's wrong with giving an exchange your primary bank card details?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q8ee posted:

what's wrong with giving an exchange your primary bank card details?

Here, there's absolutely nothing useful you can do with a bank account number, it's completely harmless information. It's less interesting than a phone number since you can't even look up who it belongs to (the clearing number tells you which bank it is in but nothing else). In the US though... lol. American banks seem to hate computer security. American credit cards are absolutely hilarious for example - chip-and-PIN credit cards are only just starting to become common there and they don't really have two-factor auth for online purchases (such as Mastercard 3D Secure) as far as I know, so you can do all kinds of poo poo with just credit card number and CVV. Over there, using your credit card in other countries or on "weird" sites may lead to your bank calling you (as in, a human calls you) to verify that the transaction was intended. They simply don't have basic stuff that became standard here twenty years ago yet.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Am I misreading something or is NiceHash not currently paying out balances to external wallets below 0.1 BTC? My next payout estimate is July 11th for 0.1 BTC :lol: I was going to mine my 0.004 balance up to 0.01 before switching to internal (currently at 0.0065), did I gently caress myself? Thinking about cutting my losses and switching to internal right now, but maybe if transaction fees drop they'll start paying out at lower limits?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
To be fair, in the US you're basically not liable for any unauthorized CC charges, so people don't care too much about credit card security, as if one gets stolen it just takes a phone call to sort out and a day or two to get a new card sent to you. Apparently until recently it was also cheaper for the CC companies to just deal with the fraud than to actually bother upgrading their entire system to chip-and-pin.

And if you start making purchases from other countries, you can bet they're gonna flag that and call you, unless you have some fancy traveler card or something. But yeah, they've been pretty slow on the security uptake because reasons. And :effort:

I'd also bet that giving a website your bank account and routing number and approving ACH transfers is just as dangerous in Sweden as in the US: in either case there's the possibility of theft if the website decides to initiate fraudulent withdrawals, and then you're stuck arguing with your bank about it--at least with CC fraud you're not out any money while you resolve it, whereas with bank fraud you might now find yourself unable to pay your mortgage until it gets cleaned up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

Am I misreading something or is NiceHash not currently paying out balances to external wallets below 0.1 BTC?

Yup. Unless you're a big fish, you basically have to use their internal wallets. You can (and should) sweep that into Coinbase at 0.001 BTC, though, and then can move it from there to wherever.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DrDork posted:

Yup. Unless you're a big fish, you basically have to use their internal wallets. You can (and should) sweep that into Coinbase at 0.001 BTC, though, and then can move it from there to wherever.

They claim to be paying out normally now, though I have yet to see that. My estimate on my external address was something like 2025 or some kind of complete nonsense. Friday has come and is about to go so my faith this will be paid out is diminishing ... but they did say so and transaction fees are going back to normal so they better

On a positive note I just got home from work to see my 1080ti doing $15 a day

edit: actually it appears theyre starting to again

https://blockchain.info/en/tx/0f2270893967f4dfce220977035fafad4b344aa8abea5659b4007f9067a945b5

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DrDork posted:

I'd also bet that giving a website your bank account and routing number and approving ACH transfers is just as dangerous in Sweden as in the US: in either case there's the possibility of theft if the website decides to initiate fraudulent withdrawals, and then you're stuck arguing with your bank about it--at least with CC fraud you're not out any money while you resolve it, whereas with bank fraud you might now find yourself unable to pay your mortgage until it gets cleaned up.

ACH transfers are a US thing, they don't exist here as far as I know. Again, knowing a bank account number here is like knowing someone's phone number - you can only ever send to it. You can't authorize someone to withdraw money from your bank account number directly. We use other mechanisms for paying bills, so the only thing you ever really use your bank account number for these days is to tell your employer where to deposit your salary. You can send other individuals money if you know their bank account number, but people tend to use other, easier methods to do that these days. What Coinbase wants is for you to initiate a SEPA transfer (EU standardized bank account transfer) from your bank account to theirs, which lets them see that they received a bank transfer from a given account number and does absolutely nothing else. They can then send money to that bank account number if they want. They cannot debit me any money or attempt to withdraw anything.

I looked into SEPA transfers some more though and it does seem like my bank actually does support that, but I'd probably have to call them to do it because I can't find where to do it in the online interface.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 6, 2018

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

DrDork posted:

How will that work if they're only paying out at 0.1 BTC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ryan_woody posted:

How will that work if they're only paying out at 0.1 BTC?

Theyre paying 0.001 daily to Nicehash wallets with a tiny fee, 0.01 weekly to external is supposedly starting up again and there is evidence of that I posted above. Edit: Not to me yet though, but to be fair it hasnt been a week since they announced theyre doing that

• Locked thread