Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

Which Rick & Morty character would you most like to get stuck in an elevator for an uninterrupted 20 minutes and why//what would you talk about?

(Can anyone just now reading that Roiland archive day this is the least bit surprising? Luckily Rick & Morty has the kind of fan base that probably doesn’t give a hot gently caress what the creators do to women, so they aren’t in any danger)

Bird Man.

He's interesting on a conversational level, unlike most of the cast. Unlike Rick, he wouldn't just break us out, poo poo on the floor, or both. I would learn much of Bird culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
All fandoms are poo poo because human beings are poo poo. The difference between a fandom you consider toxic and one that isn't is nothing more than exposure to said fandom.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Reminder that "fan" is a contraction of "fanatic." Fandom is just fanaticism, it is by definition excessive and a bad thing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is it just me or is the time it takes for garbage fans to appear so much quicker nowadays?

Like fight club had some dumb fans but there was a decent string of years in the 2000s where lots of “just found out the library has dvds” types also liked it because it helped them branch off to other better movies

V for Vendetta was like the second the dvd or maybe screener went on Pirate Bay it went bad.

i think between 2006 and 2008 when more and more "normies" started using the internet for more than MapQuest and email is when poo poo started to go sideways. Twitter was brand new, Facebook was limited to a few elite schools, and there were discrete vbulletin forums dedicated to literally any subject with between 10-100 regular posters, who would all spend a fuckload of time talking about whatever the site was devoted to. I remember posting on a music forum in 2005 that was relatively huge because not only did they have places to talk about playing music but also listening to different kinds of music, so like rock and metal had their own subforum, drums and percussion had their own forum, and then there was like guitar and indie and whatever else subforums. I think at one point it had like 1,000 users and seemed absolutely massive compared to other forums and really dumb opinions like "rap sucks" and "black metal is the trvest kvlt mvsik" became massive circle jerk opinions. so basically SA except smaller and music centric instead of comedy centric

It wasn't until like 2009-2012 that more people started using forums and forum websites started making more subforums dedicated to individual topics so that posters didn't have to log into 18 different forums to discuss music, movies, politics, etc etc which began to spawn these larger and larger fandoms in the threads about whatever tv show or movie.

then after like 2013 or 2014 a lot of the normal people realized that facebook and twitter and poo poo that let them talk to their irl friends was better than arguing with some cellar dweller about why Stargate was not really the greatest tv show ever made which left the chaff on forums, who some say even now continue to shitpost while living ten feet below their parent's living room couch

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 5, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A completely wrong history of the internet and fandom
Dude, I was on BBSes. Usenet. Prodigy. Compuserv. AOL chat rooms. poo poo has been this way the whole time.

It's nerds arguing about nerd stuff and bullying and Nazis looking for other Nazis and spreading hatred and it has been the whole time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember Tiny Toons? That was probably the very first show ruined by the internet, to the point where Tress Macneille (Babs Bunny et al) was afraid for her life and cancelled all her publicity tours and then the studio wrote a final Halloween special where the villain was a fat nerd internet comic book guy and then they bailed and created Animaniacs in the hopes that less recognizable animal parodies wouldn’t attract such creepy sex weirds.

Literally the internet ruins things because it gives people who rightly kept their terrible gross ideas to themselves now had the same platform as everyone else to share their views and realized they weren’t alone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bust Rodd posted:

Remember Tiny Toons? That was probably the very first show ruined by the internet, to the point where Tress Macneille (Babs Bunny et al) was afraid for her life and cancelled all her publicity tours and then the studio wrote a final Halloween special where the villain was a fat nerd internet comic book guy and then they bailed and created Animaniacs in the hopes that less recognizable animal parodies wouldn’t attract such creepy sex weirds.

Literally the internet ruins things because it gives people who rightly kept their terrible gross ideas to themselves now had the same platform as everyone else to share their views and realized they weren’t alone.

Do you have any more information about this? I can't find anything about it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bust Rodd posted:

counterfeitsaint posted:

All fandoms are poo poo because human beings are poo poo. The difference between a fandom you consider toxic and one that isn't is nothing more than exposure to said fandom.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Dude, I was on BBSes. Usenet. Prodigy. Compuserv. AOL chat rooms. poo poo has been this way the whole time.

It's nerds arguing about nerd stuff and bullying and Nazis looking for other Nazis and spreading hatred and it has been the whole time.

Ah yeah I’ve only been active on the internet since like 2003 and didn’t really get exposed to much, so my post was based on my own experience. Glad to see the internet has always been poo poo :shobon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

And then they created Minerva Mink...

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 7, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I wouldn't say all fandoms are poo poo, but I would say that every fandom above a certain size (the really popular ones to be exact) does automatically become poo poo. Usually due to the statistical probabilities of too many sex weirds getting to spew their poo poo across the internet and poisoning any chance whatsoever to see stuff that you like without seeing their creepy poo poo as well. Or alternatively it's too many of the type shown in the video above.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I feel bad for My Little Pony for that reason because it really is a fantastic, well crafted show, especially for kids and you absolutely cannot Google anything about it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have any more information about this? I can't find anything about it.

Terror from the year 1994

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mutata posted:

I feel bad for My Little Pony for that reason because it really is a fantastic, well crafted show

Trap sprung.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have 2 kids under the age of 5, though, so me watching kids shows isn't exactly a secret or unusual. :P

I just mean that if my daughter was like "I want to see pictures of My Little Pony!" she couldn't just look some up. Mind you it's never a good idea to Google random stuff, but MLP is on a whole different level of saturated with it.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ah yeah I’ve only been active on the internet since like 2003 and didn’t really get exposed to much, so my post was based on my own experience. Glad to see the internet has always been poo poo :shobon:

I remember usenet in the late 90s. It was pretty much an extreme right wing garbage fire much like many online communities today. That said though, I think that sort of thing is a lot more mainstream, or at least visible, now than it was back then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LoL yeah they literally drew that dude into the last episode of the show as this horrible gross monster everyone was running from.

I will 2nd MLP. It’s fun in not quite the same way Adventure Time or Stephen Universe is fun, albeit focused tested to perfection. My girlfriend at the time had been super into MLP when she was little so we watched the first two seasons and enjoyed it enough.

But yeah there’s no way to talk about MLP without inviting precisely the kind of people who shouldn’t be talking about kids shows.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 7, 2018

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I will never really understand the MLP stuff. I'm more than willing to give media intended for children a chance, and some of my favorite stuff is targeted at kids, but when that poo poo first started getting popular, I kept hearing about how it was well-written and had jokes for adults in it too and poo poo, so I gave it a shot. I sort of expected something like a powerpuff girls, based on the chatter. But... it wasn't that at all, it's just a children-rear end children's show, I watched four episodes or so and didn't detect any hidden jokes or anything I'd call smart.

I'm sure it's fine for what it is, but what it is isn't something a reasonable adult would enjoy, and I'm not sure why so many people got fooled into thinking it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of MLP are mentally ill in some way.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I felt the same way. (not the mentally ill bit, that's stupid) Before I had kids I got the first few episodes to watch since it was making so many waves and I found it good, but not good enough to explain the phenomenon. Now that I have kids and I've watched several seasons of it, it's still genuinely good but still mostly for kids. It's supremely watchable but not doublesided like Gravity Falls or PPG. I genuinely enjoy it but it's not something I'd roll out when adult friends are over.

What it does do very well though, is tell and establish its messages which are very positive and friendly, even to people who are marginalized. The main theme is friendship so it's not really surprising that adults who don't make friends easily and never grew up completely find some comfort in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wasn’t making a joke about mental illness.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of MLP are mentally ill in some way.

The irony of this being said in the Rick and Morty thread I hope, is not lost on you.

CelticPredator posted:

I wasn’t making a joke about mental illness.

Ya u did

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

My son and I watch it all the time and talk about which of the ponies we want to gently caress; an activity we can't engage in wrt Rick & Morty. Unless you just want to be obnoxious like Roiland on the commentary and say "WOW SUMMER IS HOT".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I meant to say adult fans, but now it kinda looks like im saying the pony’s are mentally ill. Oops.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yestermoment posted:

My son and I watch it all the time and talk about which of the ponies we want to gently caress; an activity we can't engage in wrt Rick & Morty. Unless you just want to be obnoxious like Roiland on the commentary and say "WOW SUMMER IS HOT".

Way to be heterosexual, gramps. I believe that you should be a sex weirdo indiscriminately.

... gently caress I hope they cancel this garbage show.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

T-man posted:

Way to be heterosexual, gramps. I believe that you should be a sex weirdo indiscriminately.

... gently caress I hope they cancel this garbage show.

Nice AV

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

mutata posted:

I felt the same way. (not the mentally ill bit, that's stupid) Before I had kids I got the first few episodes to watch since it was making so many waves and I found it good, but not good enough to explain the phenomenon. Now that I have kids and I've watched several seasons of it, it's still genuinely good but still mostly for kids. It's supremely watchable but not doublesided like Gravity Falls or PPG. I genuinely enjoy it but it's not something I'd roll out when adult friends are over.

What it does do very well though, is tell and establish its messages which are very positive and friendly, even to people who are marginalized. The main theme is friendship so it's not really surprising that adults who don't make friends easily and never grew up completely find some comfort in it.

Basically this, but like with every goddamn thing that gets corrupted by fandoms this simple premise gets taken ad absurdum. I still remember the initial comments in the first half year before it got discovered by the internet and back then MLP youtube videos had almost all polite comments, not that many view numbers, but a decent amount, most watchers were girls and one genuinely got the sense that this is the audience it was genuinely intended for.

Then about half a year later (I forget which one, but after S1's first airing anyway) someone linked it to 4chan and all the comments just turn to complete crap. It was amazing to see, really...every comment before that date civil and reserved and every comment afterwards dirty capslock retard speak.

So yea, it's no wonder to see the same apply to R&M more and more as time goes on. It would, in fact, apply to any show that could strike at least somewhat of a chord with the generation that's in their 20s and 30s right now.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 8, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why is it so so much worse for adults to watch and enjoy kids cartoons than it is for kids to enjoy adult cartoons.

I’m a very liberal person with extremely leftist views but I just wouldn’t let any child under 10 watch Rick & Morty, it seems totally inappropriate for them. I don’t want to have to explain the jellybean scenes or the suicide scenes to kids

But If I found my late teens son super into Dora the Explorer I’d be probably way more upset.

Unless it was with a girl his age who really liked it?

Until I found them dressing up as a giant backpack and a Fox...

Parenting in 2018 seems hard

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Bust Rodd posted:

Why is it so so much worse for adults to watch and enjoy kids cartoons than it is for kids to enjoy adult cartoons.

I’m a very liberal person with extremely leftist views but I just wouldn’t let any child under 10 watch Rick & Morty, it seems totally inappropriate for them. I don’t want to have to explain the jellybean scenes or the suicide scenes to kids

But If I found my late teens son super into Dora the Explorer I’d be probably way more upset.

Unless it was with a girl his age who really liked it?

Until I found them dressing up as a giant backpack and a Fox...

Parenting in 2018 seems hard

Oh hi Scott DeWitt

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Variety reports that Adult Swim has “‘no timing to share on premiere or status of production’ at this time” regarding season 4

This follows a Detroit Cast interview with writer Ryan Ridley, who said no scripts have been completed, and called for Harmon, Roiland, and Adult Swim to “get their poo poo together”

Don't expect more episodes until at least 2019 or '20, likely later

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look on the bright side...

It’s not like the fan base will get even worse in the interim, right?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Variety reports that Adult Swim has “‘no timing to share on premiere or status of production’ at this time” regarding season 4

This follows a Detroit Cast interview with writer Ryan Ridley, who said no scripts have been completed, and called for Harmon, Roiland, and Adult Swim to “get their poo poo together”

Ahh, good to see them following the Venture Brother's school of production.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They should just do em like South Park and crank those new season eps out in a week.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

They should just do em like South Park and crank those new season eps out in a week.

didn't they do elliot gonzalez like, the night after or something ridiculous?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chris James 2 posted:

Uh, I was pretty sure this was tongue-in-cheek. I don't think that even an Adult Swim writer is going to go on the record telling his higher-ups to get their poo poo together.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phenotype posted:

Uh, I was pretty sure this was tongue-in-cheek. I don't think that even an Adult Swim writer is going to go on the record telling his higher-ups to get their poo poo together.

Ridley is not just a writer; he's just below the Harmon-Roiland tier, a teensy bit. (I agree that it's probably tongue-in-cheek.)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
if louis "lol jerkin it" CK taught me anything, it's that nothing is tounge in cheek in comedy

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Enjoy this dumb shirt from Twitter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As someone who served in the military, let me just say: Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is literally no metric by which you could say that Rick “supports our troops”