Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Amazing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm gonna buy that book

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/949035084992180225

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm gonna buy that book

Yup, just ordered it. I didn't realize he was wondering around freely in the WH for months. This poo poo is going to be amazing.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Fire and Fury is 30% off on Amazon!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to read it but I'm afraid I'll get angry instead of amused

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SHOAH NUFF posted:

"Every Sunday, the president could be found watching the Patriots game. He'd shake his head sadly: 'it really is a shame' Trump says, 'the Patriots never get calls from the refs'"

I'd break my kindle

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I might go pick it up at B&N tomorrow. poo poo looks crazy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
i was muttering "son of a bitch" a lot during Nixonland, along with "gently caress this rear end in a top hat", maybe Fire and Fury isn't for me I already got a decent handle on what a clownshow it is

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

"Every Sunday, the president could be found watching the Patriots game. He'd shake his head sadly: 'it really is a shame' Trump says, 'the Patriots never get calls from the refs'"

I'd break my kindle

Lmao

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I'll wait for the twitter-takes on the good bits like when Shattered came out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Same

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Master Stur posted:

I'll wait for the twitter-takes on the good bits like when Shattered came out

the gbs threads breaking down the craziest parts from Shattered... spicy...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I sat on the pre-order kindle copy page for multiple minutes before realizing I'd have a goddamn aneurysm reading a whole book about that goddamn gently caress face

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm trying to read more books that I haven't read before so Consider Phlebas, Nixonland, and Fire and Fury are my starters for the year. I have a really bad habit of rereading things I've read. If I want to write as a hobby, I must expand my mind!

e: although I will always reread A Canticle for Leibowitz because I have to use a fuckin religion guide to get through that one.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 5, 2018

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
These winds are insane

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish I was in the horrible weather

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ehud posted:

I wish I was in the horrible weather

Its kind of foggy and rained a bit earlier today

Oh god, please send us more rain, CA literally had its largest fire in recorded history 2 weeks ago

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I was walking home from work in 10 degree wind gusts and briefly thought about laying down on the sidewalk and dying, like an Everest climber too tired to continue...with a letter for my loved ones....

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I was walking home from work in 10 degree wind gusts and briefly thought about laying down on the sidewalk and dying, like an Everest climber too tired to continue...with a letter for my loved ones....

does anyone want to climb a really high mountain with me?

What's the mortality rate on Annapurna these days?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Chill out and read books about dinosaurs friendos!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Everyone should read books about climbing K2 and the 96 everest disaster

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Blitz7x posted:

Netflix has documentaries on both of these I think. Also Valley Uprising is pretty well put together about the climbing scene's history in Yosemite.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Blitz7x posted:

Into Thin Air is a great and wild read.

I'm going to start reading the Dark Tower series in between all these depressing political books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Its Rinaldo posted:

agreed

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is fantastic and will make you forget all about Tr*mp

A guy finds a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey and that's the least interesting thing that happens

Edit: this was before scuba divers started mixing gases to give them more bottom time so it's extra super dangerous

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

everyone should read Blackwater by Michael McDowell its Mel's best book of 2017 even though it was written in 1983 it was reprinted last year so gently caress you

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow but I am going to spend a good deal of the day driving around looking at used cars for my girlfriend. Nothing makes me less excited than a day of haggling with dealerships.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife is supposed to get back from three weeks overseas tomorrow but she has a stopover elsewhere in the US and that flight got delayed and she might miss her connection to get home wheeeeee

Also I got turned down for a job I really wanted wheeeeee (technically I turned them down because they stupidly wanted to keep it as a six-month contract and I can't afford that risk)

E: Also I was going to use the excuse of needing to pick her up from the airport as an excuse to only work a half-day :negative: I might just do it anyway.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 5, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I just re-read Mort when I got tired of reading super serious things and now I have to reread all the Death books and be surprised again at how touching they are.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I guess being nice to the woman who has made my work life hell for the last year is paying off because she's got connections to the hiring managers at both companies my wife is applying to.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol the fatality rate on Annapurna is 33.5%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Petite Dinklage posted:

I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow but I am going to spend a good deal of the day driving around looking at used cars for my girlfriend. Nothing makes me less excited than a day of haggling with dealerships.

You're a good partner and I hope she's worth the effort.

C-Euro posted:

Wife is supposed to get back from three weeks overseas tomorrow but she has a stopover elsewhere in the US and that flight got delayed and she might miss her connection to get home wheeeeee

Also I got turned down for a job I really wanted wheeeeee (technically I turned them down because they stupidly wanted to keep it as a six-month contract and I can't afford that risk)

Enjoy taking your wife to pound town. 3 weeks is a lot of build up. Goondolences on the work front. I also didn't get the job I interviewed for, we must stay strong and persevere in the face of malarkey.

Ehud posted:

lol the fatality rate on Annapurna is 33.5%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander

People are dumb. e: lmao the summits are literally at an altitude with insufficient oxygen to support humans called "The Death Zone"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Glumslinger posted:

Its kind of foggy and rained a bit earlier today

Oh god, please send us more rain, CA literally had its largest fire in recorded history 2 weeks ago

Rain is coming next week friend

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

People are dumb. e: lmao the summits are literally at an altitude with insufficient oxygen to support humans called "The Death Zone"

Usually what gets people is the weather before they even reach summit or after starting descent. K2 and Annapurna in particular have just absolutely brutal routes and any sudden inclement weather is almost certain death. K2 isn't even attempted in winter lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Why the gently caress would you climb any of those without oxygen :psyduck:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Why the gently caress would you climb any of those without oxygen :psyduck:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

People are dumb.

IIRC the highest elevation you can safely be at without additional aid of oxygen is ~18,000 ft

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Free solo attempts are crazier IMO but I have a crippling fear of heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

E: Also I was going to use the excuse of needing to pick her up from the airport as an excuse to only work a half-day :negative: I might just do it anyway.

Smart call on the job, those contract situations are goddamn garbage and should be abolished; my wife had to go through a string of them, and it was hell.