Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Going to bespin couldn't have led Luke to the darkside.

You posted something false.

no because going to bespin did lead luke to the dark side. we have a whole movie called return of the jedi about his struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

CountFosco posted:

I used, like, one big word.

Very convincingly

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Turtlicious posted:

I'm the guy who thinks ravaging and howling are "big words" lmao

I'm the massive dork that uses the word simulacra.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Elfgames posted:

no because going to bespin did lead luke to the dark side. we have a whole movie called return of the jedi about his struggle.

Wasn’t obi wan ghost terrified of them meeting before Luke was ready

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm the massive dork that uses the word simulacra.

I'm the still-larger dork who knows that simulacra is plural.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Can we please have some Star Peace already.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

TLJ is perhaps the closest a Star Wars film has come to a character textually stating how tired they are of all these star wars.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If those rebel scum would just give up surrender immediately

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 4, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Let's give a big hand one more time to Chancellor Valorum, ladies and gentlemen.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Waffles Inc. posted:

The thing is that the Klan (and racists) doesn't give a flying gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Hey that's the plot of the frame story for Free State of Jones!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Q: Why was Han Solo attracted to Leia?

A: She had nice buns

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Too soon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/04/4-ways-the-last-jedi-got-slammed-for-performing-as-predicted/#478f4727815d

I noticed the guy who usually is on Forbes shiting on The Last Jedi is no longer making articles. I think that once it was clear it's not going to be a failure, they gave the floor to the other guy who said things were going to be fine. Apparently, this guy's arguing everything that happened is pretty much what you should expect from a Star Wars movie nowadays: when it comes to sales, fan response, Etc. He's probably right and this is going to get even more annoying went solo comes out.

Nah, all the Star Wars fans praying for a Star Wars bomb so they can declare Disney has ruined Star Wars will get it when the Solo movie comes out.

As an added bonus, all the contrarians will get another widely reviled Star Wars that they can twist themselves in knots claiming it's actually genius.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 5, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, all the Star Wars fans praying for a Star Wars bomb so they can declare Disney has ruined Star Wars will get it when the Solo movies come out.

As an added bonus, all the contrarians will get another widely reviled Star Wars that they can twist themselves in knots claiming it's actually genius.

wearing a mortarboard, robe, & round glasses, I point to a chalkboard that reads NEW CANONICITY = THE GRINCH = THE DA VINCI CODE 3: INFERNO

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i know we all want to poo poo on the prequels, Mace Windu and Yoda, but really Mace and yoda figured the whole thing out and went to arrest Palpatine. It was stupid they didnt pay more attention to Anakins relationship with him, but they did get it right.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No, Anakin was let it on the secret, then Mace Windu went to assassinate Palpatine, and then Yoda sent Obi-Wan to kill his own brother. Remember, it was Anakin who decided to put away his weapon and report on Palpatine. He knew that assassination wasn't right, and he reported on Palpatine despite knowing that might jeopardize his ability to save Padme. He was very close to doing the right thing, and then snapped in a moment of panic.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ptkfvk posted:

i know we all want to poo poo on the prequels, Mace Windu and Yoda, but really Mace and yoda figured the whole thing out and went to arrest Palpatine. It was stupid they didnt pay more attention to Anakins relationship with him, but they did get it right.

They didn't figure it out. Palpatine told them (through anakin).

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

seems i didnt pay much attention when i rewatched them on tbs or whatever over the holidays. i retract my statement. Windu got jobbed tho

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So did Sheevs do that knowing Anakin would squeal to Mace, and that they'd launch a coup?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McCloud posted:

So did Sheevs do that knowing Anakin would squeal to Mace, and that they'd launch a coup?

Yes.

It was a plot to destroy the Jedi.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

McCloud posted:

He was improvising, figuring he had gotten sufficiently in Anakin's head that something might come of it and that he could win any swordfight and beat any charges the Jedi could bring against him.

Sheev specializes in creating situations where both possible outcomes benefit him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

For as cunning and manipulative as the Emerpor was it was naive of him to think he could torture Luke in front of Luke dad and assume he wouldn’t do anything about it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He was getting his rocks off.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What's Vader gonna do, get electricity jammed through his iron lung and die?

I think it's pretty fair that the Emperor wouldn't expect Vader to do something so incredibly selfless.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

What's Vader gonna do, get electricity jammed through his iron lung and die?

I think it's pretty fair that the Emperor wouldn't expect Vader to do something so incredibly selfless.

Because the Emperor was dumb. He made a mistake and it cost him everything.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

sponges posted:

For as cunning and manipulative as the Emerpor was it was naive of him to think he could torture Luke in front of Luke dad and assume he wouldn’t do anything about it

Let the old man have his fun jeez

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

McCloud posted:

"Everything is going according to my design" should be taken somewhat literally. Palpatine is a sort of meta-author who stands above every other Star Wars character (that is, until his own creation rises up and destroys him like Frankenstein.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-field-guide-to-the-musical-leitmotifs-of-star-wars

For anyone interested in John Williams and film scoring, this is essential reading. I was pretty down on the score for TLJ, but this definitely is convincing me to revisit it.

And to link another article from within that:

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-last-jedi-music-reveals-more-about-kylo-ren-than-you-realize-exclusive-7664753

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/949071127615336448

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I gotta say I wasn't into the action on Crait at all but then all of a sudden Williams kicked in with that classic theme and I woke the gently caress up and was on the edge of my seat for a minute

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When Yoda burned the temple, was that the first time a force ghost did something to the physical world?

Tupac performed at Coachella.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't know if this is true or I'm even remembering right, but I like the idea of Palpatine being able to effortlessly manipulate an entire galaxy until he's defeated by the one thing he doesn't predict, someone acting outside their self-interest.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The emperor can foresee anything, but can he foresee this:

Pemperor Alpatine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Tupac performed at Coachella.

That was not Tupac.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pretty sure that was Tupac's ghost, who's been chained by a record label to do as they please for eternity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know if this is true or I'm even remembering right, but I like the idea of Palpatine being able to effortlessly manipulate an entire galaxy until he's defeated by the one thing he doesn't predict, someone acting outside their self-interest.

Darth Vader is Charlie Kelly in this scenario.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
cant believe Digital Domain Media Group Proprietary Software performed at Coachella

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Soulbound Tupac

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They did the same thing with Colonel Sanders' except they force it to possess a bunch of actors instead of showing its true spectral form.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You can read the duel between Mace Windu and Palpatine as one where Palpatine wasn’t really in danger and was just playing up his helplessness for Anakin, or as one where he was truly overpowered by Mace (who was clearly tapping into his rage) but turned that to his advantage anyway. I prefer the latter interpretation, mainly because it fits better with Palpatine's MO: the prequels are filled with examples where something goes wrong and Palpatine's original plan gets hosed up, but he just rolls with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

oh poo poo, nice