Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Were crimsonheads a listed feature or did they leave that as a surprise for the players to find out about back when the game first launched?

I really hope it was the latter because that'd be great. I love when games do things like that. There was this indie horror game called Monstrum where you're stuck on a ship and you have to escape from a monster and there are 3 possible monsters, each with their own strengths/weaknesses/tells, and for a long time they only had 2 possible monsters, some big hulking fire thing and some weird slithery-fucker that'd crawl around in vents. They had announced that they would be working on the third monster, a spectral thing that I don't think makes any sound and the only way to tell if it is nearby is if the electrical systems start going crazy (so lights flickering and the like). They ended up patching him into the game during one of their bugfixes and not telling the players about it so that people would get freaked the gently caress out when this brand new creature was chasing them down and they had no preparation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hey chat thread, what game from my backlog should I play next?

Notes: Undertale and Okami would be replays. I'd be playing Infinite in the Bioshock collection (which I know is hated here but I still want to try it for myself) and I already started DS3 awhile back around launch it's been so long they're a good chance I'd just start over

Play Nioh in my opinion. That was one of my favorite games from 2017.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hey chat thread, what game from my backlog should I play next?

Notes: Undertale and Okami would be replays. I'd be playing Infinite in the Bioshock collection (which I know is hated here but I still want to try it for myself) and I already started DS3 awhile back around launch it's been so long they're a good chance I'd just start over

Titanfall 2 or DOOM, both are great and relatively quick to breeze through

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Play Titanfall 2 and try not to think about how badly EA is going to gently caress over Titanfall 3 so they can gut Respawn and wear its skin like a suit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Were crimsonheads a listed feature or did they leave that as a surprise for the players to find out about back when the game first launched?

I really hope it was the latter because that'd be great. I love when games do things like that. There was this indie horror game called Monstrum where you're stuck on a ship and you have to escape from a monster and there are 3 possible monsters, each with their own strengths/weaknesses/tells, and for a long time they only had 2 possible monsters, some big hulking fire thing and some weird slithery-fucker that'd crawl around in vents. They had announced that they would be working on the third monster, a spectral thing that I don't think makes any sound and the only way to tell if it is nearby is if the electrical systems start going crazy (so lights flickering and the like). They ended up patching him into the game during one of their bugfixes and not telling the players about it so that people would get freaked the gently caress out when this brand new creature was chasing them down and they had no preparation for it.

No. The surprise was out instantly because of the internet of course (same with Eternal Darkness) but I don't even remember the game hinting at it. If you played the original you'll find it weird that zombies don't vanish when leaving the room then when you come back thinking it's safe it's suddenly not. It was a great surprise, just like Lisa and the big rear end Neptune.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thank Video for Games on the phone. Im currently "training" to get a class B CDL. Today I'm sitting on a bus while someone else drive for 10 hours.

FFV is a great game, but the Ios versions is not good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The one thing I hated about all the old RE games was playing inventory roulette, beyond tedious to have only 6 slots sometimes, especially for tiny keys.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, after taking everything said into consideration, I'll do TF2 (because it's short) and then probably Talos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FVh7-BTfoY

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

The one thing I hated about all the old RE games was playing inventory roulette, beyond tedious to have only 6 slots sometimes, especially for tiny keys.
The only time it really bothered me was RE0 but well RE0.

I also thought it was kind of dumb that keys didn't vanish in RE7 but that only mattered for that one item box related trophy.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

titanfall 2 is the shogo sequel we didn't deserve, but the one we needed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

REMake was amazing, but it was the second RE game I shelved because I was a giant wuss and got too scared to play.

This is embarrassing but when I was 17 I bought Resi 2 for the Dreamcast and eventually got my Mum to return it because I was too creeped out to play. I ended up getting REMake on GameCube but stopped playing after getting to the room with the coffin chained to the ceiling. I never actually finished it until I got the PS4 version :sweatdrop:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Thank Video for Games on the phone. Im currently "training" to get a class B CDL. Today I'm sitting on a bus while someone else drive for 10 hours.

FFV is a great game, but the Ios versions is not good.
you should bring a laptop and play truck sim, they'll be real impressed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

REMake was amazing, but it was the second RE game I shelved because I was a giant wuss and got too scared to play.

This is embarrassing but when I was 17 I bought Resi 2 for the Dreamcast and eventually got my Mum to return it because I was too creeped out to play. I ended up getting REMake on GameCube but stopped playing after getting to the room with the coffin chained to the ceiling. I never actually finished it until I got the PS4 version :sweatdrop:

Resident Evil 0 just wasn't very good, I thought. Never finished it despite unlocking everything for REmake on Gamecube.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Resident Evil 0 just wasn't very good, I thought. Never finished it despite unlocking everything for REmake on Gamecube.

RE0 had a few good ideas and a whole host of dumb ones and the game feels like a worse version of RE3 as a result. The frogs were cool, but I feel like they only show up in one area.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wa3 :h:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How is Zxeno pronounced?

Also I have only ever played 1 resident evil game and that was the first Revelations for the 3DS. What was RE0's problem? I think I remember reading stuff about the inventory system being stupid and requiring you to drop stuff on the ground or something but I might be confusing that with something else.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

every time someone mentions Wild A.R.M.S. I always think they're talking about Wild Guns at first

that's my Wild A.R.M.S. story

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

How is Zxeno pronounced?

Also I have only ever played 1 resident evil game and that was the first Revelations for the 3DS. What was RE0's problem? I think I remember reading stuff about the inventory system being stupid and requiring you to drop stuff on the ground or something but I might be confusing that with something else.
You have to control two characters, both only have six inventory slots and several important items take up two slots. It was a real bitch for shotguns too because that meant you had to take up a third slot for ammo- so half of one character could potentially be used just to have a single weapon.

On top of that there's no item boxes meaning you have to drop items in rooms which sounds interesting at first, but in practice you end just picking the most convenient room to leave items in anyways so it just makes things more of a hassle.

On top of that there's just really not a lot to the story even by Resident Evil standards, and most of the game just doesn't have much going on. The most interesting area is the train section, and that opens up the game and isn't too long so its all downhill from there.

Also Revelations 1 is one of the weaker games in the series tbh, though a little better than RE0.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 5, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just bought RE0 for PS4 because it was on sale , I'm curious if I'll like it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Here's how I rank the games fwiw:

REmake > RE2 > RE4 > RE5 = RE6 > Revelations 2 > Code: Veronica > RE7 > Revelations > Survivor > RE3 > RE0 > Dead Aim > Survivor 2

The only one I'm not really sure how to include is RE1 since while its rough around the edges it did basically set the template for the classic games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/948990367168425985

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

REmake > RE2 > RE4 > RE5 = RE6 > Revelations 2 > Code: Veronica > RE7 > Revelations > Survivor > RE3 > RE0 > Dead Aim > Survivor 2

The only one I'm not really sure how to include is RE1 since while its rough around the edges it did basically set the template for the classic games.

It's hard for me to compare the fixed camera and 3rd person games because they're pretty different. Like REmake and RE4 are both some loving phenomenal games but for very very different reasons

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

It's hard for me to compare the fixed camera and 3rd person games because they're pretty different. Like REmake and RE4 are both some loving phenomenal games but for very very different reasons
I here ya. I try to be relative about it, in that I think RE2 is better at being a fixed camera game than I think, say, RE7 is better at being an FPS horror game but it's not like I can put math to it or anything.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like RE0 more than most people seem to but I guess it's one of those things where it's a lot more fun on subsequent playthroughs when you already know when you'll need each item (I think the hookshot screws a lot of people over on their first run)

also it's cool getting to play as rebecca who is clearly the most powerful member of S.T.A.R.S. since she does two mansions in like 48 hours

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After playing as both Chris and Jill I don't want to go back to 6 slots any time soon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

After playing as both Chris and Jill I don't want to go back to 6 slots any time soon.

get ready to decide who you want to have the backpack in re2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I'd put RE1 somewhere around RE2 because yeah it's ugly but it's also brief, straightforward, and understands its limitations. The sequel is better in every way but it's the Nightmare on Elm Street to RE2's Dream Warriors.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Raxivace posted:

I haven't played all the games in the series but I'm inclined to agree with this relative placement. I think RE3 is massively overrated and Code Veronica isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. In fact it's... perfectly average!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE3 overrated? It seems like the one people generally don't have an opinion about one way or the other.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's the first time I can recall playing a sequel and thinking "this is much worse than what came before it" at the age of like 12 where every new thing is good to you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i liked Nemesis as a kid but it was really weird. the giant worm sequence? the hospital? all the poo poo with the mercenaries? it was all bizarre.

i also think the b-story of RE2 did such a better job of a hulking unkillable menace. Mr X was nightmare fuel for me as a kid.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RE3 had a dodge button so you could actually fight Nemesis, who was a cool idea, but the gunpowder poo poo is dumb.

looking at that list really drives home how inconsistent the series is. what even *is* a Resident Evil game? It became a plethora of things after Code Veronica. I'd be okay with the current road of making new 1st person games alongside remasters of stuff like RE2 and 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

RE3 overrated? It seems like the one people generally don't have an opinion about one way or the other.
I've known a lot of people that think its the best entry in the series. People just like Nemesis I guess.

I've even heard people praise the dodge mechanic of RE3, which is :psyduck: to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hoping for capcom remasters is some safe rear end wishlisting

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
RE0 has the "inside of a train" setting going for it which is criminally underused and such a natural fit for a horror game . I'd love to play something that took inspiration from Alien: Isolation where you're exploring a moving train and moving from car to car while being stalked by some singular relentless enemy -- the linear series of rooms and the high speed movement and the sounds of the engine all come together to be really freaky in my head

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
When people are saying REmake is it a different game to the Resident evil hd release that came out a little while back?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nemesis was a big deal when it came out, because Resi 2 was huuuuuuuuuuuge. I think back and the Resident Evil series used to be massive (e.g. Dreamcast getting Code Veronica was a big deal) then it kind of faded for a bit, came roaring back with 4 and then faded again... I think 7's doing well, yeah?

And as far as unplayed Resi's on my list I've got to do 0, Rev 2 and 7.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i recall liking RE0 a whole lot (the fact that I finished it alone says much), more than Code: Veronica. that said i recall almost nothing about it other than who you play as and the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

When people are saying REmake is it a different game to the Resident evil hd release that came out a little while back?

No

• Locked thread