Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

When people are saying REmake is it a different game to the Resident evil hd release that came out a little while back?

To expand on this it's referred to as REmake since it was a remaking of Resi 1 from the ground up for the GC. If it weren't for the shared plot points you'd think they were light years apart, as opposed to the current trend of "upscale graphics slightly, call it a HD remaster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh neat! I like the resident evils a lot and got the hd version of 1 on my PS4 during a plus month. I played through the original resident evil 1 on my psx over and over again so it was really strange playing the remake. It was new and familiar.

I really enjoyed it and it is definitely superior to the original.

My favourites will always be resident evil 2 and code Veronica x. Love those games!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Here I am over here just wishing we could get a Dino Crisis sequel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
re3 is just bad. like technically everything works fine and there are some neat moments but overall it just doesn't really come together into something that feels as focused and enjoyable as re2 or REmake and has way less of an identity outside of nemesis, who's... actually more of a mild nuisance than anything

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

RE1 and RE2 are kinda different games even if both share the same gameplay and fixed camera angles and stuff. I can't tell which one is better.

Props to Resident Evil 2 though, because I'm pretty sure it and Streets of Rage 2 are the games I finished most times in my life, by a huge margin.

Thanks and God bless.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
imagine a parasite eve remake in the FF15 engine

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The one thing I'll give RE3 is that it brought the quick turn to the series, which is pretty huge and the biggest thing I miss playing RE2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

How is Zxeno pronounced?

i'm, uh, assuming "xeno" but i can't say with 100% certainty because it's someone else's original character do not steal name for once

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

VideoGames posted:

When people are saying REmake is it a different game to the Resident evil hd release that came out a little while back?

REmake is the Gamecube version of Resident Evil 1 (which had some well-received mechanical updates in addition to improved graphics) -- the HD release available on PC, PS4, and XB1 is just a slightly prettier version of that (and only slightly-- the Gamecube version looked really really good, it's impressive). When people call it REmake they're just distinguishing between that and the original PSX version of the game

edit: beaten, but yeah. The Gamecube version is what I'd call a full remake as opposed to a remaster and some of the changes they made feel like they're specifically there to gently caress with the heads of people who played & were familiar with the original version of Resident Evil and it's awesome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd still play RE3 over Code Veronica which was impressive back in the day but is all the worst aspects of Resident Evil tied together.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

Jesus please

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Come on now, you know that can't happen.

They'd make a totally new engine.

Also it should be FF8, and I kinda want a Xenosaga remake since I never got to play it the first time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Capcom recently said they're open to the idea, but only if they get the sense people want it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Aya Brea was my #1 middle school video game character crush

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

no kidding

so i just finished Tacoma, took me 3 hours. I thought I "did everything" but there are a whopping six Hidden Achievements I missed, along with the couple I can see the requirements for but didn't quite do.

that said, utterly fantastic game, it really is "Gone Home in Space" in all the best ways, and definitely improves on Firewatch. one of the top 10 of the year for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

Come on now, you know that can't happen.

They'd make a totally new engine.

Also it should be FF8, and I kinda want a Xenosaga remake since I never got to play it the first time.

As someone who played through Xenosaga Ep 1 twice, you could totally just watch the anime on youtube and lose absolutely nothing from the experience.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goferchan posted:

same but janice from chrono cross

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my first video game character crushes were Locke and Celes, simultaneously

get on my level

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was too busy having hopeless crushes on real girls :cool:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I was about to say, Squall was my #1 gay video game middle school crush

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

RE3 overrated? It seems like the one people generally don't have an opinion about one way or the other.

I wouldn't say it's overrated since mostly people have forgotten it. It's... the other PS1 Resident Evil. Not the first one and not the best one. The other one. More of the same. if you like re1 and 2 then you'll like 3 because that is also what it is,.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'd still play RE3 over Code Veronica which was impressive back in the day but is all the worst aspects of Resident Evil tied together.

Yeah I loved CV when I first got it back in the day but it's just. Too. Long.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goferchan posted:

I was about to say, Squall was my #1 gay video game middle school crush

my #1 gay video game middle school crush was probably a tie between ashton anchors and rue from threads of fate

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

goferchan posted:

she's so cool

nomura's most restrained character design ever

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

same but janice from chrono cross

Orlha is the choice for people with good taste.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

she's so cool

I'm jealous you apparently never played the PSP game

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
She's only in one cutscene in the psp game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Irenes/Macha or bust imo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

goferchan posted:

I'm jealous you apparently never played the PSP game
I've never heard of The Third Birthday and you haven't either.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

precision posted:

my first video game character crush

Kyra from Phantasy Star IV :allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Didn't hurt that she had the boomerang/slasher weapon type that hit all enemies

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Expect My Mom posted:

she's so cool

actually, you'll find that her workshirt is made up of thousands and thousands of tiny little albino leather belts

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My Resident Evil story is that I hated REMake when I played it because I hated Crimson Zombies because I think the idea is stupid and just annoyed me non-stop. Sure you could just not shoot zombies at that point or do whatever but they added a lot more busywork for no benefit in my eyes. I知 one of the few who think the original is better I guess.

On a side note. I知 going to Tokyo for vacation in February. I知 going to be gone for a week. Is there anything I should absolutely check out while I知 there? I知 planning some things right now but would appreciate some input.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MysticalMachineGun posted:

boomerang/slasher weapon type that hit all enemies

holy poo poo, did Dragon Quest steal that from Phantasy Star??? i didn't even think of that

kinda feel like replaying PS4 now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*Tron Bonne appears onscreen*

Me: beam me into this video game please I don't want to live in a world without you

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

holy poo poo, did Dragon Quest steal that from Phantasy Star??? i didn't even think of that

kinda feel like replaying PS4 now

Nah, DQ3 which debuts the whip and boomerang predates Phantasy Star 2 which is their first boomerang I believe.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

Me: beam me into this video game please I don't want to live in a world without you

at last a man with taste

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Tron Bonne is good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

my first videogame crush was tifa

punches? suplexes anything she wants? tiddies? my lesbian role model and i wanted to marry her from the day i saw her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat REmake twice today. Im addicted.

• Locked thread