Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd like to see them use the game from The Game as a weapon against The Borg. They'd keep adapting to each level and get in an infinite loop of all being stimulated and doing another level. The collective would just keep voting one more.

:lol:

Of course, that's assuming the collective has any give-a-poo poo at all about what drones are enjoying or doing.

The super-organism that is an ant colony gives precisely zero fucks what particular ants are doing and they don't exactly vote.

How the collective even works is a really interesting thing that was never properly explored (probably for the better, admittedly) but I like to think that the collective was an emergent intelligence that doesn't really regard individual drones in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The borg were at their best when they were ants instead of zombies imo. Picard's assimilation should have stayed a thing the borg rarely do and only for a specific reason, rather than how they say hello

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I also preferred their pale white faces to the zombie monster faces that they got starting in First Contact...

Also, I hate "Borg nano-probes". It was way cooler when I imagined the Borg drilling their implants into Picard, rather than them just growing from a simple injection.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bucswabe posted:

I also preferred their pale white faces to the zombie monster faces that they got starting in First Contact...

Well, how else do you expect people to know that they're bad guys, huh Mr. Smartey-pants?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mass effect has a good robot species that a collective. Forget the name. They are a collective of programs and can move in and out of different bodies they've built for themselves, the more that cram in one the more intelligent it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mass effect has a good robot species that a collective. Forget the name. They are a collective of programs and can move in and out of different bodies they've built for themselves, the more that cram in one the more intelligent it is.

The Geth

:eng101:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Borg concept way cooler than what we actually got:

Each cube is a separate collective. Functionally, a cube and the drones on board are a single organism--they may communicate and trade with other cubes but they aren't the same being. When a cube conquers a planet, it starts harvesting all of its resources, both biological (to make new drones) and mineral (for the implants and cubes) and pumps out as many cubes as it can, like a virus. They integrate the technology of the conquered world into the new cube designs so each generation is incrementally scarier than the last. Picard was turned into Locutus in order to gain insight on how to get the maximum number of humans to cooperate with this process because killing them is wasteful and battles are potentially costly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

An oldie but goodie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bucswabe posted:

Also, I hate "Borg nano-probes". It was way cooler when I imagined the Borg drilling their implants into Picard, rather than them just growing from a simple injection.

Well, that's kind of the common problem with enemies based upon horror: The more you show and explain, the less intimidating they are, and eventually they become parodies of themselves, like Voyager-era Borg or the later Halloween movies that delved into Michael Myers being a mythical cult figure.

After BOBW1, I don't think Trek ever recaptured the feeling of "OH poo poo IT'S THE BORG :derp:," not even First Contact (and especially not loving Descent or Voyager), with I, Borg being the only one that even came close--and that was in large part because of Picard's PTSD manifesting itself. First Contact in particular really started that off, both with the stupid Queen concept as well as the space battle that lasts for about 30 seconds once the Enterprise shows up and one-shots the cube into oblivion.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cheetah7071 posted:

Each cube is a separate collective. Functionally, a cube and the drones on board are a single organism--they may communicate and trade with other cubes but they aren't the same being. When a cube conquers a planet, it starts harvesting all of its resources, both biological (to make new drones) and mineral (for the implants and cubes) and pumps out as many cubes as it can, like a virus. They integrate the technology of the conquered world into the new cube designs so each generation is incrementally scarier than the last. Picard was turned into Locutus in order to gain insight on how to get the maximum number of humans to cooperate with this process because killing them is wasteful and battles are potentially costly.

This is good. Kinda reminds me of the alien invaders in the book Pandora's Star. A big tripod-thing comes down and pillages the planet to produce more tripod-things, and they just spread and spread and evolve

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Borg should have been that one cube. Only ever that one giant cube.

Picard should have told them to forget the alpha quadrant than to sleep to stupidly blow up the cube. They could have basically puttered off and been a vague threat for the future.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Didn't Birth of the Federation do something like this? I dimly remember that a Borg cube was one of the random "natural disasters" that could occur in a game, and if you didn't have a giant teched-up fleet to take it down, it would wipe out everything in a system, then spawn another cube.

Come to think of it, the various games also followed the decline of the Borg. In BOTF they're a force of nature, but a couple years later in the two Armada games they're just a beefier version of the other factions with assimilation. (There was also supposed to be this planet-based 4X game called Borg Assimilator, but apparently that was cancelled for "having too tenuous a connection to the Star Trek universe," or so the press release went.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't you gun down hordes of cubes effortlessly in STO too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like tactically, the Borg can adapt faster than the Federation, but strategically, long term, the federation would have an edge until the Borg assimilate something new they can't deal with. One-shotting cubes after decades of fighting them seems plausible right up until they have some new super weapon they get by assimilating the Breen or something.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't you gun down hordes of cubes effortlessly in STO too
Forgot that one, but yeah it's pretty much the nadir of the Borg as a threat at that point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Timby posted:

After BOBW1, I don't think Trek ever recaptured the feeling of "OH poo poo IT'S THE BORG :derp:,"

Haggard Riker did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Q Who is great because on the initial encounter, the Enterprise damages the gently caress out of the cube. If they would have went full bore with everything, they may have been able to destroy that cube right upfront.

But, being the federation, they didn't. It allowed them to adapt, and then all attacks became ineffectual.

That's what made them great. You have one shot to take them out with a new weapon. Beyond that, you have to stay the gently caress out of their way and hope they don't notice you.

All of TNG really kept with that idea. I, Borg did. They knew they couldn't go up against a cube in any capacity. The best they could do is hide.

Descent doesn't really count due to Lore and Hugh's influences. They weren't "real" Borg by that point.

Even some of Voyager was ok. The Brunali were a cool idea, keeping their tech level low to stay out of the Borg's attention sphere.

The problem came with loving First Contact when suddenly the Federation were an enemy to be defeated rather than a source of biological and technological distinctiveness to be harvested. The Borg wouldn't even want to stop First Contact! Stopping first contact sets back the federation's technical level which hurts the Borg since they need outside species to innovate for them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

The Borg wouldn't even want to stop First Contact! Stopping first contact sets back the federation's technical level which hurts the Borg since they need outside species to innovate for them.

I can buy that the collective had some game theory calculation that after you try X number of times or encounter Y threat level, it's better for survival to simply obliterate rather than assimilate. Stopping first contact would (did) do that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Didn't Birth of the Federation do something like this? I dimly remember that a Borg cube was one of the random "natural disasters" that could occur in a game, and if you didn't have a giant teched-up fleet to take it down, it would wipe out everything in a system, then spawn another cube.

Yes, a Cube would strip each planet in star system entirely bare (it would actually ruin the planet so it was less valuable if you tried to recolonize later) one-by-one and spawn a new Cube once it wiped out the whole system. Which was awesome, because it would take BoBW sized fleets to beat a single Cube. Unless you were the Romulans, or sufficiently teched up Klingons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Forgot that one, but yeah it's pretty much the nadir of the Borg as a threat at that point.

The part where you do that in the tutorial at least had an explanation: courtesy of time travel, the players had already badly hosed up the Borg in question. The Borg were STO's original endgame enemy.

Probably for the best that the Borg didn't show up in the Delta Quadrant expansion at all, beyond an appearance by the peaceful Borg Cooperative.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing I really liked about the BoBW cube is that it literally never stopped chasing the Enterprise after Q Who. That's tenacity almost to the point of absurdity and it's chilling to think that even if you survive the Borg you'll never be safe because they'll chase you forever.

First Contact hosed that up too unfortunately.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Ew, this just makes me picture the same exact conversation Data had, but with a circle of drones around him alternating the Queen's lines.

Then one zombie-rear end-looking drone comes up and blows across Data's arm hairs, tempting him into the collective with cyberfrisson

Not sure this would have worked because it would have been almost exactly like Sisko Describes Anything to the Prophets

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Borg cubes are all greebly on the outside because they just slap the crunched-up remains on whatever ships they kill on the outer hull and start wiring them up to experiment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember in Q Who when their collective psyche was powerful enough to heal their ship through force of will? Good times.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I want to say that First Contact hosed up the Borg irrevocably the instant they retconned the queen into BoBW because that gave her permission to show up anywhere anytime with no explanation to be the eeeeevil recurring villain you could never kill like Skeletor.

But really thinking back it was Descent because that was the first time someone decided the Borg were too alien and interesting and needed an Evil Master to make them into boring Saturday morning cartoon villains, and also started the trend of the Borg constantly hitting themselves in the dick with absurd weaknesses that make no sense, because why would Hugh's memory of being an individual infect the collective and make them into individuals, when the Borg were already shown to have the ability to assimilate an individual with full memories of being an autonomous self-determined being and suppress all of that personality with zero problems for the hivemind.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I won't fault First Contact for what later writers did with the Borg. First Contact is still good, and Borg Queen is a memorable villain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HD DAD posted:

I just stand in the middle of the sidewalk screaming at the top of my lungs

:same:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

VitalSigns posted:

that gave her permission to show up anywhere anytime with no explanation to be the eeeeevil recurring villain you could never kill like Skeletor.

I am Kathryn Janeway. Captain of Voyager and defender of Fairhaven. This is Chakotay... my fearless friend. Fabulous secret orders were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic mug and said... There's Coffee in that Nebula!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

But really thinking back it was Descent because that was the first time someone decided the Borg were too alien and interesting and needed an Evil Master to make them into boring Saturday morning cartoon villains, and also started the trend of the Borg constantly hitting themselves in the dick with absurd weaknesses that make no sense, because why would Hue's memory of being an individual infect the collective and make them into individuals, when the Borg were already shown to have the ability to assimilate an individual with full memories of being an autonomous self-determined being and suppress all of that personality with zero problems for the hivemind.

It never bothered me that much. The whole thing is dependent on the order of operations. I took it as Picard got his Locutus software installed first, that allowed the Collective to shout him down in his own mind. So the Borg set it up to crush an individual's will as they enter. But "waking up" that individuality for someone inside the firewall was bad news. Hugh had a megaphone and could shout over the crowd, spreading the idea of being "I" inside the Collective. Since this was inside the local network, the Collective was like "something wrong with that cube, get rid of it before this new 'they' mess us up." Now you've got Borg that were unprepared to be individuals mixed up with these defiant guys that decided to be individuals before that cube was cut off from the Collective. They break their ship badly, Lore shows up, and he's all "you guys miss THE AUTHORITY telling you what to do? I'll help!!!!!!"

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Here's my fanfiction idea. One day the Borg just up and announce (they announce this so that things can go more efficiently in the future for everyone) that they have started getting diminishing genetic and technological returns assimilating humanoid species and they are going to stop and focus their efforts on some of the weaker energy beings and move up the chain of being. The Borg are now just eerily and awkwardly present all over the place; you don't attack them and they won't bother you, and with this new softer form of pressure they just sort of seep in around the cracks of the galactopolitical powers. Only now there's occasionally catastrophic outcomes from their attempt to storm heaven, with more of the ascended beings seeing reasons to interact with the Federation and other major empires.

edit: Now that they no longer want us, cults spring up that seek union with the Borg as the only transcendent experience left in this miserable little universe. None are taken.

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 5, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh it didn't ring true to me, because from what we're shown of the Borg everyone is just a part of a single mind, everyone has the same thoughts about everything, and their singular purpose and collective conclusions on everything are irresistible because their thoughts are your thoughts and you can't tell the difference between your own ideas and everyone else's and everyone has everyone else's memories anyway because how else would they know everything Picard knew about Federation tactics.

Chakotay's experience with the Borg Cooperative made way more sense. He didn't want to help them as an individual because he couldn't predict what they might do, but once they used their link with him to force him into the collective, their reasons were his reasons and they were all having the same thoughts. Nobody is getting shouted down, you're just now all the same being who has everyone's memories at the same time and makes decisions based on that collective experience for the good of what this new collective being considers its own interests.

Descent pretty much turned the Borg into zombie mind control rather than the much more interesting phenomenon we're shown earlier (and occasionally later). First Contact did that too with its poo poo about "you didn't want another drone, you wanted a human being with a mind of his own" which makes no sense unless the Queen is just some kind of Castlevania vampire queen, although I guess it's left ambiguous whether Picard was actually right since (a) it was shown the Borg Queen was just loving with him and was only interested in Data so she could have been lying when she confirmed Picard's suspicion and (b) we don't know for sure whether she was actually interested in making Data co-Borg-emperor or whether it was all just a ploy to social-engineer his passwords after trying to physically crack him failed, after all Locutus dismissed Data as "obsolete" back when he had no reason to lie about such things and apparently he had been hanging out with the Queen so if Data was obsolete tech to the Borg then he still ought to be now.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 5, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically if your inhuman hive mind species is less alien than real life hive insects you hosed up as a sci fi writer

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if like, a Borg cube was just fulla bees

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can the bees be a depressing metaphor for something?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Allergies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
beesistance is futile

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So THAT'S how their ships keep getting faster

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
For your collective amusement, here was an ad for TNG on my local Fox station. It's corny as hell, but I always enjoyed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bDk3eaeao8E

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Epicurius posted:

For your collective amusement, here was an ad for TNG on my local Fox station. It's corny as hell, but I always enjoyed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bDk3eaeao8E

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That ad has always stuck with me. It got aired ridiculously often during TNGs run and that stupid Billy Joel-rework song would get stuck in my head for days.