Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

s.i.r.e. posted:

You're saying Watto's more of an Italian stereotype than a Jewish one? The hook-nosed alien that loves money more than anything else?

Who said he was a stereotype? I'm just saying he's Italian.

Sonic The Hedgehog is what happens when you remove Bugs Bunny's libido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If anything the skywalkers are jews, as god's chosen people

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who said he was a stereotype? I'm just saying he's Italian.

Gotcha.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s a toydarian.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I believe this is a good illustration of the concept of "Moebian pre-sexuality", i.e. SMG's theory of Sonic the Hedgehog and friends not loving.

It also makes this trilogy seem extra awkward because the sexual dynamics in both the original and the prequels are basically the moving force for the entire narrative. This movie keeps waffling between whether it wants to engage in that or not, eventually falls on the side of "naaaaah".

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Actually, he's welsh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watto can't use an elevator on Saturday so he makes Annie and Shmi carry him around in on a litter.

The Cameo posted:

It also makes this trilogy seem extra awkward because the sexual dynamics in both the original and the prequels are basically the moving force for the entire narrative. This movie keeps waffling between whether it wants to engage in that or not, eventually falls on the side of "naaaaah".

With Finn I feel like it's a combo of the weird, manic, happy-to-get-a-hug virgin teenager vibe of the acting but also that many of the characters of the sequels exist for no other reason than it would be fun to hang out with them, so that's how he ends up getting shipped with Poe. He doesn't really have any story in particular to tell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

In spite of how goony that guy is, that's an amazing post.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Although I'm deeply sorry to say that he's wrong about Sonic fans not wanting to see Sonic gently caress.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that Finn is a former stormtrooper should play a WAAAAAY bigger part of the story. But it doesnt. In Episode 7, he just defects pretty much immediately and is immediately a plucky goofy goodguy. He should be struggling more with his "programming", trying to adapt and adjust to a new environment without being a peon in the First Order's war machine. But none of that happens. Instead, he gets along swimmingly with the Resistance right away. There should be more tension, more conflict, more friction, whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, yeah, these movies need way more sex. People made fun of Lucas for the clumsy romantic dialogue in the Prequels but at least Lucas understood that you needed some kind of romance and sexuality. In the OT, Han wanted to get with Princess Leia right away. Even Luke thought she was beautiful when he first saw her, and in Empire Strikes Back he smugly crosses his arms behind his head when she kisses him in front of Han. Leia too has conflicting feelings about Han. He's a scoundrel, he's misogynist, but oh god he's so loving hot. The Prequels had these elements too.

People have said the Rey is asexual because she has more "universal love". Okay, thats fine. But come on, what about everyone else? They had Rose kiss Finn and seemed to show that she was falling for him, but it came too suddenly. It didn't feel real or developed. They didnt even know each other for that long and already she "loves" him? Yeah they went through some poo poo, but it needs time to develop. And you'd think Poe would be a bit of a lady's man or whatever but he doesn't seem attracted to anyone either.

I'm not saying all movies have to have romance or sex but i've always thought Star Wars should have this element of humanity in its stories. A big theme is humanity and individuality versus the Machine and the System. Thats how I've seen it anyway.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Blue Star posted:

The fact that Finn is a former stormtrooper should play a WAAAAAY bigger part of the story. But it doesnt. In Episode 7, he just defects pretty much immediately and is immediately a plucky goofy goodguy. He should be struggling more with his "programming", trying to adapt and adjust to a new environment without being a peon in the First Order's war machine. But none of that happens. Instead, he gets along swimmingly with the Resistance right away. There should be more tension, more conflict, more friction, whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, yeah, these movies need way more sex. People made fun of Lucas for the clumsy romantic dialogue in the Prequels but at least Lucas understood that you needed some kind of romance and sexuality. In the OT, Han wanted to get with Princess Leia right away. Even Luke thought she was beautiful when he first saw her, and in Empire Strikes Back he smugly crosses his arms behind his head when she kisses him in front of Han. Leia too has conflicting feelings about Han. He's a scoundrel, he's misogynist, but oh god he's so loving hot. The Prequels had these elements too.

People have said the Rey is asexual because she has more "universal love". Okay, thats fine. But come on, what about everyone else? They had Rose kiss Finn and seemed to show that she was falling for him, but it came too suddenly. It didn't feel real or developed. They didnt even know each other for that long and already she "loves" him? Yeah they went through some poo poo, but it needs time to develop. And you'd think Poe would be a bit of a lady's man or whatever but he doesn't seem attracted to anyone either.

I'm not saying all movies have to have romance or sex but i've always thought Star Wars should have this element of humanity in its stories. A big theme is humanity and individuality versus the Machine and the System. Thats how I've seen it anyway.

Holdo was a total MILF. I wanted to sex her badly. But now she's dead. :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was bummed that cute A-Wing pilot who got 12 seconds of screentime got unceremoniously blowed up.

*in Iron Sheik voice*

Facking BOOOLSHEEEEET

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Holdo was a total MILF. I wanted to sex her badly. But now she's dead. :smith:
You should watch the new Twin Peaks season.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rey is agender, not asexual.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

rey is actually a construct

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jonathan Fisk posted:

rey is actually a construct

Rey is the Matrix?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Watto can't use an elevator on Saturday so he makes Annie and Shmi carry him around in on a litter.

With Finn I feel like it's a combo of the weird, manic, happy-to-get-a-hug virgin teenager vibe of the acting but also that many of the characters of the sequels exist for no other reason than it would be fun to hang out with them, so that's how he ends up getting shipped with Poe. He doesn't really have any story in particular to tell.

This is true, Rey/Finn/Poe are somehow even more shallowly drawn than the Lucas archetypal Hero With A Thousand Faces characters, which might be more of a signature of the trends in media that these movies are being made in - exceedingly static cypher characters are what's hot, slates with the only things filling them saying "likes ____, hates ______, wishes they were like _____". They feel expressly designed to be like familiar sitcom characters, where you can read who they are within a few scenes, come back two movies later, and they're just like you remember them.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Gonz posted:

Rey is the Matrix?

more Speed Racer than Matrix

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

This is true, Rey/Finn/Poe are somehow even more shallowly drawn than the Lucas archetypal Hero With A Thousand Faces characters, which might be more of a signature of the trends in media that these movies are being made in - exceedingly static cypher characters are what's hot, slates with the only things filling them saying "likes ____, hates ______, wishes they were like _____". They feel expressly designed to be like familiar sitcom characters, where you can read who they are within a few scenes, come back two movies later, and they're just like you remember them.

Yeah it's not for a lack of trying, it's entirely on purpose. Perversely, it makes the proceedings seem more artificial, because anything that would resemble an inner life, character development or implied backstory is obsessively scrubbed away so you can project yourself onto them and imagine they're your friends. Finn even goes into a coma in at the end of TFA so he can wake up the same guy you remember from the last movie you watched. MTV Undressed (as an example) never had this problem, and would routinely establish, develop and dispose of characters in like 7 minutes.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

more Speed Racer than Matrix

I think you may have been kidding but this is actually a good comparison, at least in style. Rey and Finn feel drawn from and acted in the same fashion as the characters in Speed Racer (the Wachowski one, which I think is a great film), but even Speed got to be sexual a bit in his movie

Rey is Speed and Finn is Sparky

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did Finn and the character they added to sell more tickets in China kiss? Can't remember.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did Finn and the character they added to sell more tickets in China kiss? Can't remember.

They did, looks like they won't be selling those extra tickets in China.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

For what it's worth she kissed him, it was a fairly asexual and unwanted kiss

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:hai:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Rey is agender, not asexual.

Wrong. Rey is a hot buff chick who you wish you could get with but you're also scared because she'd probably gently caress you amazon-style or even worse

pegging

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

She's not chinese!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Isn't this the sex-negative thread where you can't talk about wanting to gently caress characters?

Edit: Nvm that was the Comic Book Movie thread

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Isn't this the sex-negative thread where you can't talk about wanting to gently caress characters?

Edit: Nvm that was the Comic Book Movie thread

Are you actually insinuating that Disney doesn't sell sex?

Are you loving kidding me?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Benicio Del Toro's Character in The Last Jedi Is Gay, And Here's Why That Shouldn't Matter

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Watto is Italian.

I believe this is a good illustration of the concept of "Moebian pre-sexuality", i.e. SMG's theory of Sonic the Hedgehog and friends not loving.

Luke falls in love with Leia only to find out she's his sister. Then her son finds him in his room at night with his "lightsaber" "drawn and ignited." This is actually both being faced with the fear of the incestuous potential in the master/student relationship, but still.

Star Wars is actually the story of a man and woman reincarnated repeatedly incarnated without being able to just gently caress. As Anakin and Padme they love each other but cannot be together and they're told it's wrong to want to gently caress; also Padme's power is not acknowledged. As Luke and Leia they can be together but not love each other sexually; Leia's power is recognized but only informally. Third lifetime in they really want to gently caress and are equally powerful, now it's more their own hang-ups getting in the way than anything else.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gorelab posted:

Look it's super important that Rey end up sleeping with Space Hitler rather than a black man.

just imagine, their child could be another anakin!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Casting a Vietnamese woman to sell more tickets in China sounds like the most White Executive Hollywood Decision Ever.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Are you actually insinuating that Disney doesn't sell sex?

Are you loving kidding me?

No

The Cameo posted:

Casting a Vietnamese woman to sell more tickets in China sounds like the most White Executive Hollywood Decision Ever.

Yes

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Luke falls in love with Leia only to find out she's his sister. Then her son finds him in his room at night with his "lightsaber" "drawn and ignited." This is actually both being faced with the fear of the incestuous potential in the master/student relationship, but still.

Star Wars is actually the story of a man and woman reincarnated repeatedly incarnated without being able to just gently caress. As Anakin and Padme they love each other but cannot be together and they're told it's wrong to want to gently caress; also Padme's power is not acknowledged. As Luke and Leia they can be together but not love each other sexually; Leia's power is recognized but only informally. Third lifetime in they really want to gently caress and are equally powerful, now it's more their own hang-ups getting in the way than anything else.

Interesting idea, except that the incarnations' lifetimes apparently overlap. Anakin/Vader is still alive when Leia and Luke are alive. Hell, so is Padme, since she doesn't die until after they're born. And Leia and Luke are both still alive when Kylo and Rey are alive. Maybe reincarnation works differently in Star Wars but I've always thought that you had to, y'know, die before you can be reborn.

Unless you werent speaking literally, in which case nevermind. :)

edited to add:
Of course, if you skip Luke and Leia, its possible that Padme and Anakin are reborn as Rey and Kylo. There have been fan theories that Rey is a reincarnation of Anakin. Maybe Kylo has such an obsession with Darth Vader because, as a reincarnation of Padme he still feels that romantic sexual love towards him, except that it manifests as fanatical ancestor worship.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 5, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Blue Star posted:

Interesting idea, except that the incarnations' lifetimes apparently overlap. Anakin/Vader is still alive when Leia and Luke are alive. Hell, so is Padme, since she doesn't die until after they're born. And Leia and Luke are both still alive when Kylo and Rey are alive. Maybe reincarnation works differently in Star Wars but I've always thought that you had to, y'know, die before you can be reborn.

Unless you werent speaking literally, in which case nevermind. :)

Reincarnation is always at least a little metaphorical.

There was a good episode of some 90s X-Files ripoff that had a cool story about it, though. In it, the cast discovers two guys who are incarnations of the same soul. This leads to one, who is a criminal, escaping jail. Suddenly, the other one's life begins to fall apart, because his karma as the other was not resolved. Luckily, the protagonists bring the two together and explain what they've discovered, and the criminal resolves to pay his debt to society and resolve his issues due to the revelation.

e: One thing to consider is that, all this talk of reincarnation aside, Anakin/Vader is quite literally still alive as a force ghost. My interpretation is that Vader is still showing Ren "the power of the Dark Side." That doesn't mean he wants Ren to follow in his footsteps though. He is just teaching Ren the lessons of his life so that Ren can surpass him by choosing a better path.

The fun thing about metaphysics is that it isn't bound by quaint notions like self-identity and temporal causality.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 5, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Reincarnation is always at least a little metaphorical.

There was a good episode of some 90s X-Files ripoff that had a cool story about it, though. In it, the cast discovers two guys who are incarnations of the same soul. This leads to one, who is a criminal, escaping jail. Suddenly, the other one's life begins to fall apart, because his karma as the other was not resolved. Luckily, the protagonists bring the two together and explain what they've discovered, and the criminal resolves to pay his debt to society and resolve his issues due to the revelation.

e: One thing to consider is that, all this talk of reincarnation aside, Anakin/Vader is quite literally still alive as a force ghost. My interpretation is that Vader is still showing Ren "the power of the Dark Side." That doesn't mean he wants Ren to follow in his footsteps though. He is just teaching Ren the lessons of his life so that Ren can surpass him by choosing a better path.

The fun thing about metaphysics is that it isn't bound by quaint notions like self-identity and temporal causality.

I see. It works better when its not one-to-one literal translation. Even in real life religions, reincarnation isnt as simple as that. Like certain aspects of the self or soul or whatever get passed on but others go to the afterlife or do something else, maybe become guardian spirits. Not that this is whats necessarily happening in Star Wars but its interesting to think about.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Kelly Marie Tran is Vietnamese :ssh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Vietnamese woman kissing a black guy sounds like something that would might be cut to make it more popular in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate this thread about as much as I love the last jedi.

Yeesh

• Locked thread