Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so xbox was already doing poorly and then Nintendo released the greatest selling video game console of all time, even in Microsoft's strongest market.

Nintendo expects to sell another 25 - 30 million next fiscal year. this puts the Xbox One at around 13% new console market share. Switch could have a larger overall install base by after holidays 2018.

pretty sure we will hear microsoft change their tone to "expanding" and "broadening" their gaming which will ultimately mean going third-party or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

surprising that a company that thought "cable boxes are the future, lets do hdmi passthrough with an overlay" rushed a piece of poo poo product to the market with only 32mb of the wrong kind of ram and then also made you pay $100 extra for an always on camera and microphone that you literally couldn't disconnect. complete this with requiring you to install all games at 40 gigs a pop with a non-user replaceable hard drive (despite sony having figured that out like 12 years before)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

like the xbox one is basically "how to make every possible wrong decision on a consumer device.txt"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

NEED MORE MILK posted:

surprising that a company that thought "cable boxes are the future, lets do hdmi passthrough with an overlay" rushed a piece of poo poo product to the market with only 32mb of the wrong kind of ram and then also made you pay $100 extra for an always on camera and microphone that you literally couldn't disconnect. complete this with requiring you to install all games at 40 gigs a pop with a non-user replaceable hard drive (despite sony having figured that out like 12 years before)

you forgot the part where even if you bought the game on disc you still had to download patches almost as large as the original game because apparently microsoft couldn't figure out delta patching

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

you forgot the part where even if you bought the game on disc you still had to download patches almost as large as the original game because apparently microsoft couldn't figure out delta patching

larger, even, when you consider that games balloon in size due to post-release content (which you may be forced to download even though it's only accessible to people who buy the dlc). The disc for Halo 5 only contains the single player data, with the entire multiplayer including post-release maps being in part of a, last time I checked, 51.9 gig mandatory update

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

pretty sure we will hear microsoft change their tone to "expanding" and "broadening" their gaming which will ultimately mean going third-party or something

if there is another generation of xbox consoles they'll probably just be windows pcs made by oems, all they really need to figure out is how to get people to move to pcs but still pay that sweet sweet xbox live subscription fee

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is 100% going to be another xbox, this is some console fanboy idea filtered down in here that it'd be otherwise

the xbox one is not much of a success (though more so than e.g. the dreamcast or gamecube), but it is a solid toehold in a business area with natural monopoly tendencies, and in a room of the house with a big continued future, and as likely as not microsoft is making money off of the whole thing taken together (the subscriptions are not hay). unfortunately no numbers are published so that is speculation

they'll certainly cancel every surface device, and every other strange hardware thing they do (hololens, input devices, etc.), first

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you make money three ways as a console manufacturer:
1. license fees from third party games/dlc
2. direct sales from first party games/dlc/accessories
3. online subscription revenue [if you're microsoft or sony]

1 sucks for them because they're being outsold 2:1 by sony and worse by the switch and they have no upcoming exclusives of note that they're not publishing
2 all their first party tentpole titles like halo, gears & forza have been lagging in sales with each new release while dev costs have increased
3 is the only bright spot, there's no revenue better than recurring revenue

the only reason there's even an xbox today was the combo of sony stepping on their own dicks in unprecedented fashion and spending like a billion publishing unprofitable exclusives in the 360 era, now that the blank check is gone there's no reason for the xbox to exist, at least with surface they can rely on some enterprise sales and things like that

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 4, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

all they really need to figure out is how to get people to move to pcs but still pay that sweet sweet xbox live subscription fee

they've already started bundling Skype + Office + Xbox Live. if they can get enough gamers on that, they could probably retain some subscriptions if they drop Xbox Live or it loses some value.

they can try keep some value for gamers in that package by offering Minecraft stuff and Game for Windows Live UWP games stuff.

mind you Skype also seems to be going down hill. and the newer Minecraft updates (which I think require servers from MS?) also haven't taken well.

it must have been painful for them to cancel their last music subscription service. that leaves LinkedIn Premium subscriptions to throw into the deal, but not gonna draw unemployable virgins.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

if there is another generation of xbox consoles they'll probably just be windows pcs made by oems, all they really need to figure out is how to get people to move to pcs but still pay that sweet sweet xbox live subscription fee

as soon as you let OEMs touch the product, you're hosed

the reason console games work relatively well is that every single unit has the same microarchitecture and makes the same performance guarantees. you don't have to target three generations of graphics chip or nine different revisions of graphics driver: there is one true set of behaviors that will be valid for five to ten years.

i could imagine a surface-like home pc still under microsoft control, though.

e.g. an xbox-branded product that can also run office 365

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are three generations of xbone with different performance characteristics

i mean it's not the insanity of the oem pc market, but ms is fragmenting their install base just fine

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

those are the generations exposed to users, there's also revisions within those generations that might require specific fixes by the dev

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they can't very well require fixes since the promise is that poo poo w/ the brand on the xbox will work forever, and developers/publishers don't last forever

even if the underlying hardware changes, the guarantees made to developers on day one have to stay intact

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xbox one x costs $500 lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

xbox one x costs $500 lmao

I got a ps4 professional for 350, it is extremely needs suiting [despite having fewer flops than the xbonx]

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

I got a ps4 professional for 350, it is extremely needs suiting [despite having fewer flops than the xbonx]

xbonx is the flop, makes u think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

xbonx is the flop, makes u think
it can flop 6 trillion times in a single second, unprecedented in the console space

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i put a 2tb hdd in my ps4 and i can install all my games. on that note does anyone want to buy an xbox one, it's very dusty

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RISCy Business posted:

i put a 2tb hdd in my ps4 and i can install all my games. on that note does anyone want to buy an xbox one, it's very dusty
the xbone x comes with a 1tb drive and it's like 20-30% used before you're able to install games on it and instead of being user replaceable you get to use a usb 3.0 external hard drive

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

the xbone x comes with a 1tb drive and it's like 20-30% used before you're able to install games on it and instead of being user replaceable you get to use a usb 3.0 external hard drive

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
[extremely microsoft voice] the xbox one. its good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

they called the fifth xbox the xbox one x

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
dell are going to send me a free battery replacement for my XPS 15 as part of an initiatve to "pre-emptively" curtail some issues with the battery expanding (loving up the trackpad) in this model

im reasonably sure its not a phishing attempt

i loving hate this laptop, its falling apart after less tahn 2 years, the loving AC port because a cylinder in the middle of it fell out and so i charge it now via usb-c, its got like a 2 hour battery life, hopefully this new battery somehow makes this not as bad

loving pos

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
why do they call it the xbox 360

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

dell are going to send me a free battery replacement for my XPS 15 as part of an initiatve to "pre-emptively" curtail some issues with the battery expanding (loving up the trackpad) in this model

im reasonably sure its not a phishing attempt

i loving hate this laptop, its falling apart after less tahn 2 years, the loving AC port because a cylinder in the middle of it fell out and so i charge it now via usb-c, its got like a 2 hour battery life, hopefully this new battery somehow makes this not as bad

loving pos
they just refreshed the xps 13 so the xps 15 refresh w/ coffee lake can't be too far behind

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

they just refreshed the xps 13 so the xps 15 refresh w/ coffee lake can't be too far behind

the first mistake was buying a dell, but the second mistake was going for the 4k screen, i only wanted it because it had a gorilla glass screen + touch, the 1080p had no glass, this was a mega fail decision

i might get an xps13 at some point, it looks much less hosed up

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
might be better awiting fora refresh with an amd lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Valeyard posted:

i only wanted it because it had touch

dyp

not in a mean way i just don't "get" touch on a laptop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

dyp

esp because laptop multi-touch doesn't really work on linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Valeyard posted:

the first mistake was buying a dell, but the second mistake was going for the 4k screen, i only wanted it because it had a gorilla glass screen + touch, the 1080p had no glass, this was a mega fail decision

i might get an xps13 at some point, it looks much less hosed up

get an xps 13, get 1080p because both touch and 4k are loving pants-on-head stupid on a 13" screen and you may as well have the extra battery life

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

dyp

its mostly a gimmick, but now that i have it its actually pretty handy. i cant name any specific use cases for it (because there isnt any, in this case)

it was mainly just the glass screen i wanted

something like the hp spectre 360 with the active stylus is probably a better and more useful thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Valeyard posted:

its mostly a gimmick, but now that i have it its actually pretty handy. i cant name any specific use cases for it (because there isnt any, in this case)

it was mainly just the glass screen i wanted

makes good sense

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

get an xps 13, get 1080p because both touch and 4k are loving pants-on-head stupid on a 13" screen and you may as well have the extra battery life
they should make the 1080p model with 16GB of memory imho

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away :grin:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
oh god a code worker had a laptop with touchscreen and it was hilarious whenever someone bumped into the screen and moved the mouse cursor while he was typing.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Janitor Prime posted:

oh god a code worker had a laptop with touchscreen and it was hilarious whenever someone bumped into the screen and moved the mouse cursor while he was typing.

Do you and your coworkers truly work in such tight quarters that this is a regular occurrence? With you also close enough to see it too?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

James Baud posted:

Do you and your coworkers truly work in such tight quarters that this is a regular occurrence? With you also close enough to see it too?

by "someone" he meant himself. he did it on purpose

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Disabled the touchscreen on my xps 15 via device manager. As far as I could tell its only purpose was to gently caress up the layout of certain websites when the browser reported that my poo poo was touch-capable

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
when i open it up to replace the battery, i think ill try to replace the broken ac port, but it means having to detach the loving screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RISCy Business posted:

why do they call it the xbox 360