Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Is this a regular thing with grooming?

I've never had to shave my cats(I consider this a minor tragedy because lion cuts are hilarious) but it's possible that Luna is upset because Bowie might smell strange after being shaved, especially if you had to take him to a groomer/vet to do it. Whenever I have to take just one of my cats to the vet, the other one gets huffy and hissy afterwards because their sibling now smells different and they don't understand why. They get over it, cats are stupid babies :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sugi once went absolutely nuts because my mom put on some antlers at Christmas. :shrug: I think outlines are very important to cats recognizing stuff maybe? So changes can uncanny valley them hard.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

floofyscorp posted:

I've never had to shave my cats(I consider this a minor tragedy because lion cuts are hilarious) but it's possible that Luna is upset because Bowie might smell strange after being shaved, especially if you had to take him to a groomer/vet to do it. Whenever I have to take just one of my cats to the vet, the other one gets huffy and hissy afterwards because their sibling now smells different and they don't understand why. They get over it, cats are stupid babies :3:
I took one my cat Lulu to the vet a while ago and when I came home, her bro Dooders started getting weird and hissy(he's never hissed before or after really), swatting at her. I thought maybe some scent of the vet rubbed off on her and cats are just soo sensitive to smell. But then I just tried taking a whiff from like 3ft away and even I (i'd rate my own nose below average for a human) could smell the perfume on my cat really clearly. I guess the vet or one of the assistants had a big ol' dollop of perfume on their wrist or something that rubbed off when handling my cat.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I have a question about how to handle a TNR situation. I've been feeding 4 cats in my yard for a few months. Based on their appearance and size I think they're under a year old, but definitely not kittens, and all from the same litter. Of the 4, one has become friendly enough that I can pet her, the other three I can get within touching distance, but they won't let me touch them. All 4 will play with a stick or whatever if I wave it around.

I have a couple options:

1. TNR all 4 of them. This is the simplest option and might be the best, since they are used to living outdoors together.

2. Trap the friendly one and try to get her fully tame to keep or foster, TNR the other 3. This might be feasible since the friendly one is already so friendly? but if it happened I'd probably want to adopt her out since I can see her being unhappy if she is stuck inside and I'm still feeding the other 3 outside.

3. Trap and try to tame all 4 cats. I know this is probably impossible, but I'm just listing it here.

I realize that options 1 is the most realistic one. I guess what I'm asking is if I should even bother trying to tame the friendly one to make her adoptable, or if it's likely not possible. I don't want to stress the cat unnecessarily if it probably won't work out.

I've had cats in the past, but I've never dealt with feral cats, and I've never tamed a feral cat either so I don't really know what that entails or how successful it is. That's why I'm asking what maybe seems like basic questions about what to do here. I did see that pretty much every resource for taming a feral cat refers to kittens, so that's why I'm not sure if I should try anything but option 1 above.

As thanks for sitting through this, here are the cats in question. The friendly one is second from the right:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peepsalot posted:

I took one my cat Lulu to the vet a while ago and when I came home, her bro Dooders started getting weird and hissy(he's never hissed before or after really), swatting at her. I thought maybe some scent of the vet rubbed off on her and cats are just soo sensitive to smell. But then I just tried taking a whiff from like 3ft away and even I (i'd rate my own nose below average for a human) could smell the perfume on my cat really clearly. I guess the vet or one of the assistants had a big ol' dollop of perfume on their wrist or something that rubbed off when handling my cat.

My kitten got the last of her kitten shots and her first big cat rabies shot yesterday and this happened every time we came back from the vet before that too. Ginny's annual isn't for a while yet but when that happens I hope Creampuff returns the favor.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
With TNR, you need to try to capture them all at the same time so they don't get wise to traps and don't flee the territory.

The friendly one may be tameable, but perhaps the best thing is to release the other three after they've recovered from their neutering in the same place to be community cats again. That also helps keep other unaltered ferals from roaming in.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

pairofdimes posted:

I have a question about how to handle a TNR situation. I've been feeding 4 cats in my yard for a few months. Based on their appearance and size I think they're under a year old, but definitely not kittens, and all from the same litter. Of the 4, one has become friendly enough that I can pet her, the other three I can get within touching distance, but they won't let me touch them. All 4 will play with a stick or whatever if I wave it around.

I have a couple options:

1. TNR all 4 of them. This is the simplest option and might be the best, since they are used to living outdoors together.

2. Trap the friendly one and try to get her fully tame to keep or foster, TNR the other 3. This might be feasible since the friendly one is already so friendly? but if it happened I'd probably want to adopt her out since I can see her being unhappy if she is stuck inside and I'm still feeding the other 3 outside.

3. Trap and try to tame all 4 cats. I know this is probably impossible, but I'm just listing it here.

I realize that options 1 is the most realistic one. I guess what I'm asking is if I should even bother trying to tame the friendly one to make her adoptable, or if it's likely not possible. I don't want to stress the cat unnecessarily if it probably won't work out.

I've had cats in the past, but I've never dealt with feral cats, and I've never tamed a feral cat either so I don't really know what that entails or how successful it is. That's why I'm asking what maybe seems like basic questions about what to do here. I did see that pretty much every resource for taming a feral cat refers to kittens, so that's why I'm not sure if I should try anything but option 1 above.

As thanks for sitting through this, here are the cats in question. The friendly one is second from the right:

1. Is a good thing to do.

2. Is good if you really believe you can find Friendly a home. Also, you'd be surprised at how well a cat can adjust to living inside. My sister did a similar thing for her neighborhood, spaying/neutering and releasing the strays in her neighborhood but keeping/finding homes for the nice ones. She's got one of them in the house with her now, it was a rough couple of weeks of adjusting but now the cat's comfortable and content to watch the outside from their big main window. Another one lives in my aunt's home with her elderly cat and same deal, just watching from the enclosed porch seems to be more than enough for him. I agree with POOL IS CLOSED above as far as this option.

3. It's probably more possible than you think. If they're pretty young, they may become fairly tame if skittish. Cats housetrain themselves by instinct usually and from there it's just socialization and keeping them entertained. It would be effort though.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

With TNR, you need to try to capture them all at the same time so they don't get wise to traps and don't flee the territory.

The friendly one may be tameable, but perhaps the best thing is to release the other three after they've recovered from their neutering in the same place to be community cats again. That also helps keep other unaltered ferals from roaming in.

Do you mean like simultaneously? I only have one trap right now, but I may be able to borrow others from local TNR groups. I'm in the CA bay area so there are resources here that may be able to help.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Huntersoninski posted:

1. Is a good thing to do.

2. Is good if you really believe you can find Friendly a home. Also, you'd be surprised at how well a cat can adjust to living inside. My sister did a similar thing for her neighborhood, spaying/neutering and releasing the strays in her neighborhood but keeping/finding homes for the nice ones. She's got one of them in the house with her now, it was a rough couple of weeks of adjusting but now the cat's comfortable and content to watch the outside from their big main window. Another one lives in my aunt's home with her elderly cat and same deal, just watching from the enclosed porch seems to be more than enough for him. I agree with POOL IS CLOSED above as far as this option.

3. It's probably more possible than you think. If they're pretty young, they may become fairly tame if skittish. Cats housetrain themselves by instinct usually and from there it's just socialization and keeping them entertained. It would be effort though.

Thanks for the advice, I may try with friendly first to see how it goes. If it doesn't work, or doesn't work well, that'll tell me whether I have a chance with the other cats that would likely be more difficult. At the very least I definitely want to get them all fixed and vaccinated.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

pairofdimes posted:

Do you mean like simultaneously? I only have one trap right now, but I may be able to borrow others from local TNR groups. I'm in the CA bay area so there are resources here that may be able to help.

Basically yes. Catching one is better than none, but if you have four traps your odds of success are much greater. Kitten Lady on YouTube has a solid video on how to do the whole thing though.

I'm sorry I don't have leads for you on traps out in California; I'm an east coast gal.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Basically yes. Catching one is better than none, but if you have four traps your odds of success are much greater. Kitten Lady on YouTube has a solid video on how to do the whole thing though.

I'm sorry I don't have leads for you on traps out in California; I'm an east coast gal.

That makes sense about the odds being better. I'll check out that video and see what I can do about getting more traps. Don't worry about not having leads for me, I'm sure I'll be able to find something.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Could you lure then with food into a garage/shed and then shut them in? This obviously depends on having a garage or shed available.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There's no "may be" because this place is going to be the ones to call and talk to - http://www.bayareaa4a.org/tnr/

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Huntersoninski posted:

Could you lure then with food into a garage/shed and then shut them in? This obviously depends on having a garage or shed available.

I do have a garage, but it's not really available, at least not if they would need to use it for weeks while they adjust.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

There's no "may be" because this place is going to be the ones to call and talk to - http://www.bayareaa4a.org/tnr/

Thanks for the link, I'll contact them and ask for advice.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Fix Our Ferals is another good one: https://fixourferals.org/

There may also be people in your neighborhood who have traps you can borrow; I’d try asking on NextDoor.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Kitten tax! Shortly after this nice moment of cuddles he bitch slapped me twice and started attacking my crotch.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Robo Kitty posted:

Fix Our Ferals is another good one: https://fixourferals.org/

There may also be people in your neighborhood who have traps you can borrow; I’d try asking on NextDoor.

Thanks, it seems like there's a lot of resources around here for TNR.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

D34THROW posted:

Kitten tax! Shortly after this nice moment of cuddles he bitch slapped me twice and started attacking my crotch.

Diagnosis: is a kitten in proper working order.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My lovely cat Macro died in my arms tonight, from probable renal failure and 40c heat from which I could not cool him down fast enough. So your kitties are very breakable, do what you can for them as quickly as you can, don't get by on false hope like me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry ewe. Rest in peace Marco.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm sorry, ewe2. I went through something similar this summer. It's hard. But I'm sure Macro had a happy life with you.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This'll probably sound really dumb so apologies in advance, but is it cruel to get my cat spayed? I feel like we ought to get it done, however it feels a little mean to put her through something she probably doesn't understand.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Spaying is way safer for your cat than being in heat, trying to get out of the house all the time, mating, and birthing kittens. She'll get over it once back home and healed up, probably even before then.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Spaying young also reduces the risk of various types of cancers and infections.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the info, makes me feel a little less awful for booking her spaying

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Looke posted:

Thanks for the info, makes me feel a little less awful for booking her spaying

Going through heat seems way more unpleasant for the poor cat than a couple days of cone-of-shame while the stitches heal. It's definitely the right thing to do.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pixelante posted:

Going through heat seems way more unpleasant for the poor cat than a couple days of cone-of-shame while the stitches heal. It's definitely the right thing to do.

Plus there seems to be evidence that not being spayed increases the risk of mammory cancer in cats.

If you've ever seen a young cat come into heat for the first time you'd understand too. You can't explain what going on and they just have this look of "WTF is happening?". You get blood spots round the place (of course), they howl at intervals and your house will be surrounded by intact toms looking for a bit of action (this will not make your house/garden smell particularly pleasant either).

If you're still wavering, I can explain the whole 'kitten is a bundle of agony' for you. ;) Be grateful human sex is nothing like cat sex basically.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My wife just sent me a picture of the kitten sleeping on her, with a paw on our baby's binky, who was also sleeping on her. Kitt'n loves to snuggle his skinbrother! :kimchi: Like a teenage girl, I cannot even. Just can't.

It's made better by the fact that they're both 4 months old.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Tiger finally realized there's a 3rd tier :3:

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Vampess posted:

Tiger finally realized there's a 3rd tier :3:

That is a fine looking cat, and a nice tower.

Speaking of which, are there any recommendations on cat towers? Or at least good places to purchase them?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Armarkat is the brand I like best, you can get them on Amazon. They use fuzzy material instead of shaggy carpet for covering (which might not seem like a big deal until your cat figures out how dang FUN it is to pull the carpet fibers out and scatter them everywhere in your life, plus it's way easier to keep clean) and the parts are individually replaceable, in case one bit gets worn out more quickly than others. Both my cats' trees are Armarkat and we've had them both for over 3 years with no need to replace anything yet. And theoretically you can mix and match cat tree parts too if that's something you'd like to do.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Oh that sounds great! I have an old, small tower that is carpet covered and my kitten has learned that pulling out carpet fibers and then eating them is a wonderful game.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

FlyTB20C posted:

That is a fine looking cat, and a nice tower.

Speaking of which, are there any recommendations on cat towers? Or at least good places to purchase them?

I would go to smaller pet shops that have cat towers and ask them where they get them. There is a guy in Santa Clarita who sold to our cat food store who custom makes them and sells them super cheap, and that’s how we got our tower that fits our cat storage needs.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
We have a cat who is pretty cool most of the time but in the morning she is a complete dickhead. If we lock her out of the room (which we have to) she will decide to paw under the door loudly all throughout the morning. If we stuff something into the crack of the door, she tears and pulls at it, which is also loud as gently caress.

We ignore her, we don't wake up and immediately feed or give her attention. This has been going on for months. I am starting to get fed up because I can't get a single good night's sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We got a 72' cat tree off Chewy for $66 and it's pretty sturdy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Knifegrab posted:

We have a cat who is pretty cool most of the time but in the morning she is a complete dickhead. If we lock her out of the room (which we have to) she will decide to paw under the door loudly all throughout the morning. If we stuff something into the crack of the door, she tears and pulls at it, which is also loud as gently caress.

We ignore her, we don't wake up and immediately feed or give her attention. This has been going on for months. I am starting to get fed up because I can't get a single good night's sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's been a year and a half since we got our first cat and she still does this every morning and evening around dinnertime (usually starts 1-2 hours before dinnertime). She won't paw at the door so I usually just throw her out of the room if it's too early, but she's never learned to this point and continues to do it. People told me to just ignore her and don't give it and eventually it goes away but in my experience it doesn't. Which sucks because I'm always the one to feed her so yeah my nights are usually cut in half because I'm up at 5-6 AM every day to feed her.

The worst part is that she knows exactly how to push my buttons just so to get me to react, like trying to push the lamp over on my head, or trying to knock poo poo off the table, or repeatedly jumping up on me from the floor. It's so loving obnoxious.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 10, 2018

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Knifegrab posted:

Can you get an automatic feeder, so that the cat stops waking you up for breakfast? Even if it's a less fancy one you set every evening, that might be a solution.

They make vinyl carpet protectors to put under rolling desk chairs or by doors as a safe place to put shoes when you come in that's not directly onto carpet that are smooth on top and on the bottom covered in soft but uncomfortable spikes. Maybe see if putting one of those upside-down (spike side up) by the door keeps the cat from hanging out there?

E: we have an alarm that goes off in the mornings and the cats are always fed when that alarm goes off. They've figured out that we don't get up before the alarm so they hold off on freaking out until they hear it. Downside: even on days that you can sleep in, you still need to get up and feed them at the alarm so they know there are no exceptions.

E2: Here's the kind of vinyl mat I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/WJ-Dennis-Co...arpet+protector

Here's one that's cut to slip under doors even (though you'd, again, be putting it spike side up to be uncomfortable for the cat).
https://www.amazon.com/CarPET-Scrat...5R93NERJFRD42TR

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Huntersoninski posted:

Can you get an automatic feeder, so that the cat stops waking you up for breakfast? Even if it's a less fancy one you set every evening, that might be a solution.

They make vinyl carpet protectors to put under rolling desk chairs or by doors as a safe place to put shoes when you come in that's not directly onto carpet that are smooth on top and on the bottom covered in soft but uncomfortable spikes. Maybe see if putting one of those upside-down (spike side up) by the door keeps the cat from hanging out there?

E: we have an alarm that goes off in the mornings and the cats are always fed when that alarm goes off. They've figured out that we don't get up before the alarm so they hold off on freaking out until they hear it. Downside: even on days that you can sleep in, you still need to get up and feed them at the alarm so they know there are no exceptions.

E2: Here's the kind of vinyl mat I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/WJ-Dennis-Co...arpet+protector

Here's one that's cut to slip under doors even (though you'd, again, be putting it spike side up to be uncomfortable for the cat).
https://www.amazon.com/CarPET-Scrat...5R93NERJFRD42TR

Thank you but the problem isn't so much food, I think she just wants attention. She is very affectionate and wants cuddles. I'd leave the door open all night so she could softly come in for cuddles but then the problem becomes she gets hyper at night and bounces off the walls and runs all over us at lightspeed.

I can try the carpet protectors but she doesn't really scratch at the carpet, she puts her paws under the door and spazzes out, basically slapping the inside face of the door.

I am contemplating crating her or locking her into her litter room but that seems cruel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How old is this cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Knifegrab posted:

I can try the carpet protectors but she doesn't really scratch at the carpet, she puts her paws under the door and spazzes out, basically slapping the inside face of the door.

Those are made to protect carpet, but what I was suggesting was to flip it upside down so that it would mean approaching the door would force the cat to walk/stand on (not terribly harmful but still uncomfortable) spikes. That might deter her from hanging out there.

Knifegrab posted:

I am contemplating crating her or locking her into her litter room but that seems cruel.

If it's just for the night, I wouldn't call it cruel. If you can fit the litter box, some water, a place to sleep, and some poo poo to climb/play with into that room, I'd say that's fair. Do you play with her a lot before bed time? Maybe try spending an hour before bed running the red dot all over or swinging da bird around or whatever her favorite thing is to see if it helps her sleep through the night.

Fire with fire option: get a second cat so they beat each other up for attention instead.