Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moneyball posted:

This thread is going places.

Speaking of eugenics.

Edit: poo poo, new page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7o48ap/bit_off_more_than_i_can_chew_with_my_first_home/

quote:

I got caught up with the excitement of buying my first home, and ended up purchasing a nice house in a nice neighborhood. My mortgage is already pretty high, but that along with monthly utilities, and I’m straining each month. I’ve also had to replace both the roof and the air conditioning unit (twice) and it’s just more than I can realistically handle.

I guess the easy solution is to sell. But I’ve been hearing that since I moved here in 2016, selling that soon would really screw with my credit, and would also cause me to lose out on money from the sale. This is all heresay from the folks I work with, and I don’t have anyone close to me that I can get reliable info from about this stuff. So any kind of advice would be great.

quote:

I make around $36,000 a year, and my home cost a total of $184,000. My monthly mortgage is $975. Foundation, plumbing, etc. are good. The house is nice, I just feel silly bc it’s my first home, I live by myself, and I really didn’t need something this nice.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress, I wasn't expecting no poo poo unironic genetic determinism in the BWM thread. 2018 is delivering out of the gate.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
As I've always said, if we could just stop reproducing for say, 100 years, it would solve all problems.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Moneyball posted:

As I've always said, if we could just stop reproducing for say, 100 years, it would solve all problems.

Wrong.

The 105 year olds would be incredibly lonely.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Are we still doing horses?

Which is worse with money, horzewhores or a horse?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Budgie posted:

"Just leave the money on the pile of hay over there in the corner."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Should I file bankruptcy for a $460k judgement?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7o53tb/should_i_file_bankruptcy_for_a_460k_judgement/

quote:

Hey Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker on my main account, but using a throw away today since I don't want the world knowing my business.

So here is the situation. About 4 years ago I was part owner in a business with my wife. The business was doing great, and we entered into a letter of intent with a potential partner to invest in an new business. Things fell apart, and the potential partner sued me. Just me. She won a judgement for $460k against me.

I am in Texas, so my paycheck and things like that are safe, but I am trying to figure out what to do with this situation. I am in the process of an appeal, as I fully believe that I would win, given the evidence, her numerous lies in testimony, etc. However doing the appeal is going to cost me thousands of dollars I don't really have.

So I am trying to decide, should I appeal and hope to win or should I just file bankruptcy and write it off.

My personal financial situation is as follows:

Checking account: Paycheck to Paycheck Retirement Accounts: Less than $1500 Income:
Me $175,000-$200,000 depending on bonuses Wife $50,000-$65,000 self employed

Credit Score: 600

Debts:

About $5000 in credit card, $20,000 in personal loans, and a jointly financed vehicle we bought about 6 months ago $45,000.

IRS: $25,000

Generally speaking you would look at my income and debts and say no way. However my expenses are pretty high, in part due to having 3 kids at home, one of which is autistic.

Rent: $3820/mo - We don't own

Car Payments: $1300/mo

Insurance Payments: $600/mo

Loans: $2000/mo

Credit Cards: $350/mo

Cell Phones: $475/mo

Electric: $600/mo

Gas: $150/mo

Water/Sewer/Trash: $175/mo

Student Loans: $600/mo

Groceries: $1500/mo (teenagers!)

Toll Tag: $200/mo

etc.

If I file bankruptcy I am pretty sure they will try and take some money from my paycheck, that's OK if it's not more than my debt payments, but most things are co-signed with my wife, so I can't really write them off unless we both file. She would prefer not to file on her. We also don't want to lose the cars, etc. But we can't afford to pay $460k in judgement, nor can we afford to really pay for this appeal.

The biggest concern though is that we are starting a new business (LLC taxed as corporation) which we believe will easily bring in an extra $150-$200k in 2018 in net profit. We really don't want to see that go away.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for any typos, grammar, etc.

No, you should file to get adjudicated as mentally unfit to handle your own finances.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

What about whorses? Or is that just horse leasing?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Also from the $460k judgment post

quote:

We are locked into a lease for another 3 years on the house, and most things really can't be cut anymore than they are without significant impact to our credit scores.

I can't say I've ever heard of a home lease for that long before.

Judgment: Guillotine.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

quote:

Groceries: $1500/mo (teenagers!) 

Jesus, how many?! :wth:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Panfilo posted:

People getting mad about family giving them gifts is one of the biggest First World Problems you can come up with this time of year. If your kids already have plenty of toys then you can take the unneeded toys and donate them to kids whose family couldn't afford any presents. Even better, get your kids involved to help them understand how privileged they are.

The implication is not that we resent getting stuff, it's that our loving idiot relatives are putting themselves on financial life support by overextending themselves in order to out-pace one another and teaching our kids that stuff = love.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spending yourself into quadruple digit debt is a time honored holiday tradition. What? Do you not love your family? Get another credit card and make the season special you cheap bastards. You'll have most of it paid down by next Christmas anyways.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Panfilo posted:

People getting mad about family giving them gifts is one of the biggest First World Problems you can come up with this time of year.

Nah. Potlatch is an ancient gripe.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

John Smith posted:

Oh, you mean you tell your boss he is an rear end and your brother-in-law that he is a fool for buying that boat? Good for you!

Yup! I have skills and multiple sources of income so I'm not afraid to tell higher ups when they're being idiots. I also don't work with assholes or people that annoy me, having skills in busy metro areas lets you define your terms of employment. You know, the self-made rhetoric you often spin and all. I'm my own dude and I own up to my thoughts/opinions anywhere, etc

My point with that one bad poster was, if you're coming to the internet to vent out your "true feelings and thoughts," it's very likely you just have toxic ideas that you are unable or unwilling to identify. This has been an increasing trend with bitter first world dudes lately

That said, sorry thread! I'm all done contributing to the derail shenanigans, I just wanted to offer a response to john smith after side sniping his name into a comment

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Inept posted:

Also from the $460k judgment post

I can't say I've ever heard of a home lease for that long before.

Judgment: Guillotine.

Me neither, I'm assuming it's because everything in Texas is a boss hog nightmare.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Yup! I have skills and multiple sources of income so I'm not afraid to tell higher ups when they're being idiots. I also don't work with assholes or people that annoy me, having skills in busy metro areas lets you define your terms of employment. You know, the self-made rhetoric you often spin and all. I'm my own dude and I own up to my thoughts/opinions anywhere, etc

My point with that one bad poster was, if you're coming to the internet to vent out your "true feelings and thoughts," it's very likely you just have toxic ideas that you are unable or unwilling to identify. This has been an increasing trend with bitter first world dudes lately

That said, sorry thread! I'm all done contributing to the derail shenanigans, I just wanted to offer a response to john smith after side sniping his name into a comment

Dude shut up man. Nobody cares about any of this. Making a shitpost and apologizing for it at the same time is dumb.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

Me neither, I'm assuming it's because everything in Texas is a boss hog nightmare.
Texas sucks but it doesn't suck THAT much. Only thing I can think of is that the poster got suckered into some strange, predatory deal that probably normally just targets poor people who don't know better. I can easily see someone this stupid falling on hard times and thinking they can't possibly bear to 'just' rent a $2k/month luxury apartment, they have to get equity out of the deal too, even though they can't presently afford it.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
You guys inspired me to search for "essential oils" on Go Fund Me!

Donate money so I can buy essential oils from myself and donate them to classrooms! Sucks to be the kid with asthma!
https://www.gofundme.com/essentialoilsineveryclassroom

quote:

Essential Oils in Every Classroom

I am an independent distributer for Young Living and oil educator. I am also the mother of a two year old and auntie to two twin toddlers and one baby girl. What inspired me to start this campaign was not only my love for essential oils, but my sister who is an elementary school teacher in the Bend/ La Pine school district. I have been able to see all of the positive benefits of essential oils and how they have impacted our day-to-days with children. That is why I am so passionate about getting them into our community.
My vision is to get a diffuser and a bundle of essential oils into every elementary classroom in Bend, Oregon. Every child should be able to study in a healthy environment regardless of their personal situation. Afterall, our kids are in school for such a huge portion of the day; let's make it as productive as we can!

I listened to a webinar, and now I really need $1,500 to become a certified essential oil coach!
https://www.gofundme.com/certified-essential-oil-coach

quote:

Certified Essential Oil Coach
I just watched a webinar about How To Become A Certified Essential Oil Coach done by Dr. Axe that really piqued my interest. At the end of the webinar it explained how to get certified . I really want to do this because I envision all the ailing people I could help , but I dont have the money to take the online course. So maybe I can get by with a little help from you friend? Thank you !

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

Should I file bankruptcy for a $460k judgement?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7o53tb/should_i_file_bankruptcy_for_a_460k_judgement/

No, you should file to get adjudicated as mentally unfit to handle your own finances.

There's the good poo poo!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Staryberry posted:

Dr. Axe

Why dab those essential oils when you can body spray 'em

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Vox Nihili posted:

There's the good poo poo!

I saw the rent and tolls and assumed they lived in NJ or something - but uh, how do you spend that much in Texas . . .

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The implication is not that we resent getting stuff, it's that our loving idiot relatives are putting themselves on financial life support by overextending themselves in order to out-pace one another and teaching our kids that stuff = love.

This is something I see from our relatives. My husband and I are very comfortable and we have politely asked our relatives not to buy us things because we know they are in a far more precarious position than we are. It never fails that my MIL buys me $100+ of clothes for christmas and a gift card or something for my birthday and honestly, I just don't need it. I've started returning items and buying socks/underwear/blankets for the homeless with store credit. It bothers me that I can't seem to convince them to just not buy things though.

When we're looking at christmas for nieces/nephews we specifically ask their parents what do they realistically need - Is the kid interested in lessons for guitar/piano/drums etc? Do they need new cleats for soccer practice? Useless clutter is dumb.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Horses are BWM, even for stupidly rich sheikhs.

Al Shaqab say sorry as they admit to causing major racing debts problem
https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/al-shaqab-left-embarrassed-as-it-admits-to-causing-major-racing-debts-problem/314360

quote:

Al Shaqab general manager Khalifa Al Attiya has claimed the problems are linked to a financial review and reorganisation.

However, a number of those on the organisation's payroll believe budgets were last year exhausted prematurely due to expensive transactions, such as the half-share bought in subsequent dual Classic winner Brametot four days before his success in the Poule d'Essai des Poulains.

Attempting to estimate the scale of the Al Shaqab debts is difficult, but with numerous yards thought to be missing at least tens of thousands of pounds, the scale of the overall shortfall is likely to run well into seven figures.

quote:

In a statement sent to the Racing Post, Al Attiya said: "Al Shaqab is operating like every other business with accountability and responsibility. Our responsibility is to finalise our yearly financial review and settle any invoices owed fully.

"We have noticed in our financial review that some payments may have been delayed, and answering that question as to why it has been slightly delayed is a question in our financial review."
Hmm I don't know, maybe it's because you spent money that you didn't have?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife was watching Real Housewives of LA and one of the housewives was riding in some competitive equestrian event. Even on a show that celebrates the ostentatious display of wealth they were complaining how expensive horses are.

$10k handbags are one things, but have you seen what it costs to shoe a horse every six months?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

NancyPants posted:

Actually Texas is pretty good about this stuff. Max they would be out for breaking the lease is like $4,000. That's if the landlord even tries to go after them. And it's basically impossible to garnish wages unless you're the IRS.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Harry posted:

Actually Texas is pretty good about this stuff. Max they would be out for breaking the lease is like $4,000. That's if the landlord even tries to go after them. And it's basically impossible to garnish wages unless you're the IRS.

There's far more to breaking a lease than the immediate monetary cost. Texas doesn't strike me as the kind of place where you can't blacklist a renter for having walked out on a lease before, considering it's the kind of place where it's perfectly legal to charge people more if they don't want you walking in with no notice in the final month of the lease.

It might be perfectly legal to leave, but with his lovely credit (600, really?), huge debt compared to income, and generally being an idiot, he might be better off staying there and cutting costs elsewhere. If he can declare BK, that additional 3 years is just as much a guarantee for him that he's got a place to live as it is locking him in.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

NancyPants posted:

There's far more to breaking a lease than the immediate monetary cost. Texas doesn't strike me as the kind of place where you can't blacklist a renter for having walked out on a lease before, considering it's the kind of place where it's perfectly legal to charge people more if they don't want you walking in with no notice in the final month of the lease.

It might be perfectly legal to leave, but with his lovely credit (600, really?), huge debt compared to income, and generally being an idiot, he might be better off staying there and cutting costs elsewhere. If he can declare BK, that additional 3 years is just as much a guarantee for him that he's got a place to live as it is locking him in.
In Texas you can rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment within 10 minutes of downtown of any of the major cities for $1400-$1500. If the apartment really doesn't trust him, they'll make him put up a months worth of security deposit.

quote:

considering it's the kind of place where it's perfectly legal to charge people more if they don't want you walking in with no notice in the final month of the lease.
No it's not lol.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

last laugh posted:

I saw the rent and tolls and assumed they lived in NJ or something - but uh, how do you spend that much in Texas . . .

$200 in tolls probably means they take express lanes every day to skip the traffic, unlike NY/NJ or Chicago where the whole highway is tolled.

Still doesn't explain where the giant settlement came from.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Harry posted:

No it's not lol.

Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about with the second bit, but you'll definitely be blackballed out of several to most options (depeending on demand) if you have a broken lease in your rental history. I don't think it completely cuts you out off the shittiest options, but it can be a serious obstacle depending on your needs and circumstances.

Anyways my friend maxed out his credit card to buy some kind of new altcoin or something called TRX. I was already giggling internally until he told me he's now got an extra $22k. I may or may not have proceeded to buy a tiny bit of magical digital internet coins right after that call.

*sigh*

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Harry posted:

In Texas you can rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment within 10 minutes of downtown of any of the major cities for $1400-$1500. If the apartment really doesn't trust him, they'll make him put up a months worth of security deposit.

No it's not lol.

edit:

EwokEntourage posted:

Standard apartment lease in Texas doesn't even require advanced notice that they'll enter, just that it be at a reasonable time and they leave a note saying they were there if you aren't there

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just to be clear: most landlords don't do that in Texas. Crazy ones, power tripping managers, etc do.

My lease actually provides that they can show the house with 24h notice in the last month of my tenancy, or I have to pay some premium.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from /r/legaladvice:
NEW YORK: Fighting abusive credit card company

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7mgc60/new_york_fighting_abusive_credit_card_company/ posted:

Way back when I was in college I racked up a lot of debt, about $2300 total. Stupid I know. I let it go for a few years. Stupider I know. Four months ago I got a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue unless I paid them $6848.

I know enough from reading forums that I sent a dispute validate letter. In which I asked for proof of the debt, an itemized list of transactions, a list of the interest charges and fees, an itemized list of legal fees, supporting evidence for the legal fees, and a list of all barred individuals working at their law firm along with credentials. I gave them 30 days to respond. Surprise surprise I didn't hear anything back until I sent letters to the CRAs demanding they remove this tradline.

They must have tipped off the law firm because they "suddenly" remembered a month later and sent a copy of my last credit card statement and the cardholder agreement. I sent back a letter stating I did not have sufficient information to answer and quit claim. That was last month.

Last week I received an automated phone call suing me for $6848. I ignored it but I got my notice this week. My court date is in Feb. I sent back the form saying I was countersuing for FCRA, FDCPA, harassment, and extortion because they threatened to sue me unless I paid that outrageous amount.

Are there any other claims I can sue for? Is there anyone I can report them to? Are there any government agencies that oversee abusive credit card predators?

EDIT for those saying i should" get a job" yeah good luck with that. All there is around here is retail factory and warehouse jobs at $15 - $20 an hour. Not what I should be making with a degree let alone a new one.

quote:

[–]grasshoppa1 Quality Contributor 153 points 8 days ago

Get a motherfucking job, you deadbeat.

[–]abusivecreditcard [S] -40 points 8 days ago

Uh if anyone was hiring I would BELIEVE ME I wound in an instant. Other than factory and warehouse jobs that only pay $15 - $20 an hour there's nothing here, let alone in application design.

[–]Tananar 162 points 8 days ago

So you'd rather have no job than a job that you think pays poorly? Get your head out of your rear end. You owe money, you don't get to tell them you're not going to pay because you don't think it's fair and you don't want to work a blue collar job.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I work in the apartment industry in Texas. The standard lease (TAA) does state 24 hour notice. And when I say standard lease, I mean what every apartment complex uses. A complex can opt to remove that though. HDD 91 must be dealing with a private landlord who added his own thing. If so, don't agree to something you don't like.

quote:

Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about with the second bit, but you'll definitely be blackballed out of several to most options (depeending on demand) if you have a broken lease in your rental history. I don't think it completely cuts you out off the shittiest options, but it can be a serious obstacle depending on your needs and circumstances.
Nope. If you owe money to the complex and don't pay it, it will show on your credit if they report it. Nobody cares if you break a lease. If you plan on not paying, you just lease a place first.

Harry fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Harry posted:

I work in the apartment industry in Texas. The standard lease (TAA) does state 24 hour notice. And when I say standard lease, I mean what every apartment complex uses. A complex can opt to remove that though. HDD 91 must be dealing with a private landlord who added his own thing. If so, don't agree to something you don't like.

Nope. If you owe money to the complex and don't pay it, it will show on your credit if they report it. Nobody cares if you break a lease. If you plan on not paying, you just lease a place first.

You're telling me landlords don't care if you broke lease at your previous place? Really?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone here know a lot of people who do MLMs? I only know four people who do (my aunt who has been chronically unemployed, two people from high school, and weirdly enough my cousin who is a military wife but also earned a Masters in Economics from a pretty good school. But it's apparently a big problem in some circles.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nirvikalpa posted:

Does anyone here know a lot of people who do MLMs? I only know four people who do (my aunt who has been chronically unemployed, two people from high school, and weirdly enough my cousin who is a military wife but also earned a Masters in Economics from a pretty good school. But it's apparently a big problem in some circles.

I've never known anyone who's been big into it but my SIL is trying to sell some skin care stuff. My cousin has been trying to sell younique. A good friend of mine was into Lularoe and I even guilt bought a skirt :(. My sister did pampered chef for a while. Another good friend did itworks and managed to alienate most of her friends and then luckily realized it and quit. Another person tried to get me to go to a jamberry party - which by the way - is the laziest poo poo on earth because its like a loving skype party. lazy!

If it were just one of those people i'd barely notice it but put them together in my social circles and social media and it gets obnoxious.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, this is the in-laws where the Trump supporter dad won't deign to get a part time job because he spends all of his time and money on trump's ACN mlm bullshit conferences and online seminars and you just wait, he'll be rolling in it soon. Until then they spend $500/mo on a housekeeper because he can't work a vacuum apparently, and they have a gardener because mowing is also too time consuming for him to do with all the self motivational magazines he needs to read. Also they haven't filed taxes in years, probably because he doesn't want to face up to all the money he's wasted. My MIL won't divorce him because Jesus, and it's just hard to watch since I love them but good goddamn.

Buying us a roof rack to carry all the stuff they can't afford to give us is just the cherry on top of the BMW banana split they got going on.

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's a church thing and a stay at home mom thing. If you're not in one of those circles, you probably can avoid most of it.

moana fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 5, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Haifisch posted:

Only $20/hr for warehouse work lol how much does he think he’s going to make with his degree with no experience and that horrible work ethic?

For that $480K judgement, would a judge approve that with his income being so high?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Haifisch posted:

Does that person explain how they live without a job?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

You're telling me landlords don't care if you broke lease at your previous place? Really?

In Austin I've specifically been told by staff members that a past broken lease would have disqualified me from renting at my current complex.

Maybe that includes the assumption of non payment rather than just a broken lease with all payments made on time and acct closed out? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

It's a church thing and a stay at home mom thing. If you're not in one of those circles, you probably can avoid most of it.

That makes more sense. That's why my cousin got into it, because she had a kid. Too bad her education didn't let her see it was a bad deal. I think she is still involved because I got some lularoe leggings for Christmas. Most of my friends list don't have any kids yet.