Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ether Frenzy posted:

Isn't that what helmets are?

Im talking federalised Countach style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Watching Le Mans: Racing is Everything.

Looks like a decent little documentary series (6 eps) on amazon prime. It's heavily edited towards tv, which I find hilarious, but still kinda fun to watch. Good mindless entertainment as I pig out and pack back up to go home (hopefully) tomorrow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

The Kmart in my hometown is finally closing, after years of dying the slowest death possible.
The front doors haven't worked for almost 30 years. RIP

Sad, isn’t it? I haven’t seen a KMart here in TX in a couple decades. Used to shop there all the time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

AS far as I know there isn’t a new car sold in America without AC anymore but let me double check because otherwise deal breaker! Edit: yes air and Bluetooth and power mirrors (and manual windows and locks and no armrest LOL)

There is, you just have to order it that way.

The local Kia lots keep a non-ac Rio on the lot so they can say they have cars starting at $7999. Someone might buy it eventually; they always seem to turn up at Carmax a year later with about 1000 miles and stickered at... $7999. I've seen 3 of them go through the DFW Carmax stores in the past year. I would imagine the shadier Mitsubishi dealers do the same with the Mirage, for the same reason.

I missed it, is it a leftover 2017 that you're looking at? That may be why it's so cheap.

I'm a little annoyed with how Nissan won't even let you order a Versa (or Sentra) with a manual unless you get the no-frills version. I get that those are their economy cars, but they've gone way too gung ho with the CVTs, and you're forced into the CVT if you step up to anything above the base. Is it so bad that I want 3 pedals AND power locks/windows/keyless entry? :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I guess some dude is using my side by side weight loss photos and passing me off as one of his clients for his personal training business on Facebook. But he preemptively blocked me so I can't look at his page to see if it's true. Or I don't have the correct name to search. Anyways, that's a new type of drama for me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We use a stripper model 2015 versa note at work as a delivery vehicle. Its not completely horrible to drive so long as you flog it and have fun with it. Puts up with the abuse we put it through in the last 50k miles. Its a cvt instead of a stick, but meh. Does the job we need it for.

Fun fact, it will fit 4 full size truck tires (265/70/17) easy with the seats folded down. And from measurements, you can nestle a 350 chevy in the back with room to spare. Sadly the boss called an end to the "how much poo poo can chris cram in the back of the versa" game before I got to try loading it. :saddowns:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

So I guess some dude is using my side by side weight loss photos and passing me off as one of his clients for his personal training business on Facebook. But he preemptively blocked me so I can't look at his page to see if it's true. Or I don't have the correct name to search. Anyways, that's a new type of drama for me.

oh Rhyno. Never change :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That Versa does seem like a great deal.

I think stripper model Dacia Sanderos are still hitting that £6k price point ($8k), but don't have a radio, never mind AC.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

"I have a car I love with an oil leak I'll sort this problem by buying a brand new car" is pretty AI.

Though I spent too much money on a Panda just so I wouldn't have to fix anything so yeah I understand.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

You took the photos and therefore own the copyright?

Congratulations on starting your new year with a windfall from someone who used your photo for commercial purposes:

http://www.gettyimages.com/purchase/price-calculator/sb10069475ab-001

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seminal Flu posted:

A new car for under $10k is stupid cheap and well worth it. A worry-free appliance is something that continues to pay dividends.

This. A toaster of a vehicle that's cheap and worry free means you can afford to have a fun car on the side without the 'hammered myself in the balls' experience of both your toy and DD breaking at the same time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

without the 'hammered myself in the balls' experience

does not compute

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Is it so bad that I want 3 pedals AND power locks/windows/keyless entry? :argh:

My manual Versa has 3 pedals AND power locks/windows/keyless entry.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

The Kmart in my hometown is finally closing, after years of dying the slowest death possible.
The front doors haven't worked for almost 30 years. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yA7r6WfJo

I used to love going to Kmart with my parents, but the stores themselves were just rotting from the inside for years before they closed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I kind of want one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5z7CnNBBw

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They look pretty cool but more of a novelty than anything. Not exactly expensive either.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Arcade-...7EBBTJ6BJB3MZWR

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Like anything from the US to international buyers, the expensive part usually comes when you see shipping costs. Not that I have not seen what it will be because I haven't used amazon for 4 yrs so forgot login, but car parts, yeah paid way too much last year buying anything from USA. Starts at $45 usps

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Now that I know this exists I too want one. Great.

So the last couple of days my spawn have been completely dreadful. Just total disobedience that no matter what direction I go I feel like I am failing at this parenting thing no matter what I do. Try the don't yell method and only positive words and reinforcement blah blah nothing, no results. Yell at them, then feel bad because you are a grown rear end human and yelling does nothing. Mrs Heroic is feeling the same.

Kids, man. They just kick your rear end all the time.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So the last couple of days my spawn have been completely dreadful. Just total disobedience that no matter what direction I go I feel like I am failing at this parenting thing no matter what I do. Try the don't yell method and only positive words and reinforcement blah blah nothing, no results. Yell at them, then feel bad because you are a grown rear end human and yelling does nothing. Mrs Heroic is feeling the same.

Knowing you are raising kids well is analogous to climate vs weather - as long as the long-term averages are good, you are doing well. There's always going to be weird days though. Make sure to take time for yourself and the missus and relax once things calm down a bit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

There is, you just have to order it that way.

The local Kia lots keep a non-ac Rio on the lot so they can say they have cars starting at $7999. Someone might buy it eventually; they always seem to turn up at Carmax a year later with about 1000 miles and stickered at... $7999. I've seen 3 of them go through the DFW Carmax stores in the past year. I would imagine the shadier Mitsubishi dealers do the same with the Mirage, for the same reason.

I missed it, is it a leftover 2017 that you're looking at? That may be why it's so cheap.

I'm a little annoyed with how Nissan won't even let you order a Versa (or Sentra) with a manual unless you get the no-frills version. I get that those are their economy cars, but they've gone way too gung ho with the CVTs, and you're forced into the CVT if you step up to anything above the base. Is it so bad that I want 3 pedals AND power locks/windows/keyless entry? :argh:

slidebite posted:

They look pretty cool but more of a novelty than anything. Not exactly expensive either.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Arcade-...7EBBTJ6BJB3MZWR

Kind of want to build a full arcade on my desk with those now.

redgubbinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yA7r6WfJo

I used to love going to Kmart with my parents, but the stores themselves were just rotting from the inside for years before they closed.

Watched that a while back, and he pretty much nails it. Sears/KMart just... didn't change. What's insane is that Sears was THE biggest mail-order/catalog retailer. Somehow, they managed to completely fail to migrate that into the Internet, largely through ignoring it initially, I guess. It did Sears no favors when KMart bought them.
So many retailers that didn't survive the double onslaught of Walmart and Amazon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm going through similar stuff but bonus points for being separated with the ex, and he spends a lot of time with grandparents that spoil him. I'm broke as hell, he's crying all the time about memories and not living with both parents, acting up and developing stories about a fantasy life and well, yeah :(
Nothing I can do to make him happy or settled and it really fucks me up thinking about it which probably comes through and makes everything worse

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

same, 3 year olds are not any more grown up than the 'terrible twos' but now they have an expanded vocabulary

also our kid doesnt sleep through the night and we're well past the one year of sleephell, where i have gotten 8 hours of sleep maybe...10 times in the past year?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah they do. They have to feel out and test their boundaries and independence from time to time. And sometime they just feel like crap, and don't want to do anything, just like we do, but have less sense of responsibility about it. Pretty much normal kid stuff.
Not to downplay your struggle, but try it with an aspie kid. My daughter will just stare at me unresponsive if I yell at her. which is, of course, *more* infuriating, so I have to make a mighty effort to not yell in the first place. Then she does basically the same thing with calm instruction. Or, well, any suggestion that she do anything other than what she wants to do that moment. Frustrating as hell to get nothing but negative or nothing responses to almost everything. She's 16 now, so add "being a teen" to all that. Generally, she's not a bad kid, but getting her to understand that she's part of a family, and when you're part of a family, keeping the house clean, pets fed, etc. is a team effort has been difficult. I have to let my wife do the talking and just support and back her up, because I just get frustrated and angry (because she's too much like me, basically.) At least being an introvert, we haven't had to worry much about drugs, bad friends, teen pregnancy...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I'm going through similar stuff but bonus points for being separated with the ex, and he spends a lot of time with grandparents that spoil him. I'm broke as hell, he's crying all the time about memories and not living with both parents, acting up and developing stories about a fantasy life and well, yeah :(
Nothing I can do to make him happy or settled and it really fucks me up thinking about it which probably comes through and makes everything worse

Oh, harsh.
I Am Not A Psychologist, but I'd say just do the best you can. He'll most likely eventually understand. Kids are by nature mostly self-centered little shits, and it's part of our job to teach them to be decent human beings. Most of that is by example. Creating imaginary friends and worlds and stuff is their way of compensating. As long as that doesn't become his be-all, end-all, it's normal. All of that is normal, really. They just aren't equipped to think about how other people feel until their older.
I definitely don't feel like I'm doing the best with my daughter, but you don't really know until they're grown up and leave, which is terrifying. Mind you, at this point, I'm wondering if she will actually ever leave, or is even capable of holding a job. If she acts like she does to us at a job, she's going to get fired the first day. Then again, I wonder how some of the young jackasses I see working at retail and restaurants continue to be employed...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

"I have a car I love with an oil leak I'll sort this problem by buying a brand new car" is pretty AI.

Though I spent too much money on a Panda just so I wouldn't have to fix anything so yeah I understand.

I do all my own work, just at some point I have to objectively look is it worth giving up my free time to keep maintaining a vehicle with 200k miles on it. No one is more tormented by the idea of me taking the easy way out just weighing time with my kids and work where I make money versus spending a weekend fixing an oil leak which I will probably do anyway. In other news I figured why not ask the local dealer if they could get close to that price and they are getting back to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

I do all my own work, just at some point I have to objectively look is it worth giving up my free time to keep maintaining a vehicle with 200k miles on it. No one is more tormented by the idea of me taking the easy way out just weighing time with my kids and work where I make money versus spending a weekend fixing an oil leak which I will probably do anyway. In other news I figured why not ask the local dealer if they could get close to that price and they are getting back to me.

I totally understand and I won't bag on you for it, I replaced a 200k E46 with a 24k Panda solely to spend what little free time I have with my kids rather than under the car. The Panda has been faultless, not so my wife's car, and work has conspired to remove most of my weekends for the next year.

Anyway, at least I've not had to work on my car :downsgun:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Kind of want to build a full arcade on my desk with those now.

Watched that a while back, and he pretty much nails it. Sears/KMart just... didn't change. What's insane is that Sears was THE biggest mail-order/catalog retailer. Somehow, they managed to completely fail to migrate that into the Internet, largely through ignoring it initially, I guess. It did Sears no favors when KMart bought them.
So many retailers that didn't survive the double onslaught of Walmart and Amazon.

It's funny how much difference there is going south of the border. I visited a Sears in Tijuana last month and it was like stepping back in time to the late 70's in the States. Store was completely packed with both merchandise and people with lines at every register with at least two people working at each one, one taking money and the other bagging the merchandise and handing it back to the customers after stapling the receipt to the bag sealing it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

I totally understand and I won't bag on you for it, I replaced a 200k E46 with a 24k Panda solely to spend what little free time I have with my kids rather than under the car. The Panda has been faultless, not so my wife's car, and work has conspired to remove most of my weekends for the next year.

Anyway, at least I've not had to work on my car :downsgun:

Yeah. Boring cheap cars have their benefits.
Running a cheap car for me means that my business mileage claim each year pays for all fuel, maintenance and insurance and covers the purchase price of the car if I keep it for a couple of years...

My panda however has got some new year blues :( my stop start hasn't worked for weeks and yesterday my cruise control stopped working.
Thismorning it went very lumpy and then said "FUEL CUTOFF UNAVAILABLE" On the dash and started flashing the warning triangle at me. Warning triangle disappeared after leaving in the work car park all day and I've just done 30 miles without any issue. Now just 150 more miles to do to get home...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
hahahahaha oh no, got an E-mail on that Jeep:

quote:

Another thing, especially if you are intending to drive it away from here Sunday, the driver's seat is not fully attached to the chasis. At least not conventionally. The back seat has to stay down in order to prevent the front seat from tipping at stops and the broken seat gears seem to have rusted/fused together in a mostly stable way.

What is the likelihood that the bottom is rusted so bad that the seat bolts have pulled through entirely?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

What is the likelihood that the bottom is rusted so bad that the seat bolts have pulled through entirely?

Whoa, nevermind I don't want any of that action.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

lol you have 5 cars and you're wasting your time on this

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How much would that jeep fetch in scrap?

Seems it's either that or take it through a bush trail and beat the snot out of it until it gives in. I can't imagine it's got long on this world anyway, might as well make it fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

How much would that jeep fetch in scrap?

Seems it's either that or take it through a bush trail and beat the snot out of it until it gives in. I can't imagine it's got long on this world anyway, might as well make it fun.

I got $300 for a rust free PT Cruiser in shockingly good cosmetic shape. That rust bucket would be maybe $150.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I got $300 for a rust free PT Cruiser in shockingly good cosmetic shape. That rust bucket would be maybe $150.

Hey that's still $100 profit, if the worst turns out to be true.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CornHolio posted:

Hey that's still $100 profit, if the worst turns out to be true.

This guy doesn't value his time.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I mean honestly if I get there and it's that bad, I'm just gonna tell my buddy to call the scrapyard. I haven't exactly bought it yet. For all I know the seat itself is what's broken and those are pretty cheap at the junkyard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, nevermind I don't want any of that action.

Told you.

Rhyno posted:

Running Jeep six should be worth more than that. Plus axles, transmission, etc. Assuming all of that isn't broken.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I mean honestly if I get there and it's that bad, I'm just gonna tell my buddy to call the scrapyard. I haven't exactly bought it yet. For all I know the seat itself is what's broken and those are pretty cheap at the junkyard.

The seat issue is a common thing with XJ's both of mine did it. Just find some Grand Cherokee seats at the yard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Watching films with parents.

Star Wars: The Force Dozes Off After A Heavy Meal And Doesn't Pay Attention To The Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The seat issue is a common thing with XJ's both of mine did it. Just find some Grand Cherokee seats at the yard.

What happens with them? Is it a seat flaw then?

We had a Cherokee at a previous job that we used for errands, I seem to remember it having a weird seat too...

Grand Cherokee seats bolt right in then?

• Locked thread