Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Little munchkin is entirely right hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Azor’s gateway seems perfect for a modern Jeskai or Breach deck...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jabor posted:

Your friend is mostly full of poo poo.

Worth noting, though, that if you play a Cavern while the sun is out, you won't get to pick a creature type, which means you won't be able to spend the coloured mana on anything.

I love it when Wizards changes rules to make card interactions not work the way they say they should work. :argh:

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Ascend could totally make it into collected company decks, whether it's explorasaurus or some card they haven't shown yet. It's not hard to get to ten permanents when your deck starts with bird or hierarch then does nothing but make the board wider every turn.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sit on my Facebook posted:

Is this card closer to Azusa or closer to Mina and Den

I mean this guy on turn three, Prime Time on turn four, right?

This is a direct Azusa replacement that doesn't die to bolt.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a direct Azusa replacement that doesn't die to bolt.

Azusa gets you to 6 lands from 3 even if she dies before your next turn, while this guy doesn't. Not sure how big a deal that is, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Niton posted:

Azusa gets you to 6 lands from 3 even if she dies before your next turn, while this guy doesn't. Not sure how big a deal that is, though.

Yeah but this guy's big rear end keeps the removal to path, terminate or dismember in modern. I suppose push with whatever that mechanic is.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

uninverted posted:

Ascend could totally make it into collected company decks, whether it's explorasaurus or some card they haven't shown yet. It's not hard to get to ten permanents when your deck starts with bird or hierarch then does nothing but make the board wider every turn.

The problem is that Ascending doesn't do anything by itself and all of the Ascend cards so far are not cards that a Company deck wants to play. The only really good card so far is the colorless land that let's you pay 5 to draw a card if you've got the Blessing which isn't a card Company decks want.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Seems usable in a constrictor shell. Can pretty much immediately flip it if you have anything at all relevant on board.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I have a question about Ascend. If you have a permanent with Ascend, is it constantly checking to see if you have ten permanents in order to initially give you the City's Blessing? Or does it only check when the spell is cast/resolves, as with instants/sorceries with Ascend?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

I have a question about Ascend. If you have a permanent with Ascend, is it constantly checking to see if you have ten permanents in order to initially give you the City's Blessing? Or does it only check when the spell is cast/resolves, as with instants/sorceries with Ascend?

They've said it's constantly checking, and that Ascending doesn't use the stack. Might be an SBA?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maro owns

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/169309413338/whats-with-all-the-pirates-being-female#notes

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/169333724638/people-ask-why-so-many-females-because-of#notes

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Probably not going to give MaRo any poo poo for a while. Definitely going to try counting pirates when the spoilers are done.

Also still love "vampire conquistadors" as a thing, it's at once fresh and a perfect fit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh MaRo, Ixalan has far more historical accuracy embedded into it than you and your little group of friends realize.

Colonialism. I'm talking about colonialism.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The more I think about it, the more I think Twilight Prophet might be really good. It's a small power at highish CMC, which has put us off a bunch of the bigger vampires in the block so far, but at least has respectable backside and evasion. I think the card advantage and drain effect offset the lowered combat value though. I definitely want it to be good because I like black, life stealing and vampires, but I really think it might have a shot. Also plays well with the Aftermath cards.

Shame about Elenda though, I think she can be strong with the right deck around her but that deck probably isn't in standard. You'd want either a sac outlet and expendable creatures at the ready or spare mana and removal in hand when you put her down. There's Yahenni, Legion Lieutenant and Fatal Push at least, I can't imagine a deck with her working without those, and she also competes at 4CMC with Prophet, who I'm more confident in.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I was looking back at the Marvel ban announcement and found this funny

quote:

One reason we typically hesitate when considering banning cards is that we don't like destroying entire deck types. Fortunately, the rise of the Temur Energy deck in the format has mostly mitigated that outcome here. Look at this deck that went 5-0 in a recent Standard Constructed League on Magic Online:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/june-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-06-13

January 15th is the next B&R update.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Star Man posted:

Oh MaRo, Ixalan has far more historical accuracy embedded into it than you and your little group of friends realize.

Colonialism. I'm talking about colonialism.
Needs Pestilence at common. Also replacing the basic lands in boosters. Extreeeeemely common.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/rosewattastone/status/949279333159526408

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Burn Jita didn't go far enough.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Full spoiler
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/rivals-of-ixalan

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 5, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Full spoiler is up

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The art on the taplands and the basics is gorgeous.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Re: Blood Sun

If a land has an ability that continuously changes the types of other lands (such as Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth does), that ability will apply before Blood Sun removes that land's abilities.

Can someone explain why this is? I don't understand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like limited format got a very large powerup.

I like how both shatter and naturalize are back. Dino's get a ton of enrage enablers.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 5, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Huh, kind of neat actually, his value in limited isn't diminished by the split format.

Skimming through, Oathsworn Vampire catches my eye, 2/2 vampire knight for 1B, ETB tapped, may be cast if you gained life this turn. Sounds pretty solid for limited, might have constructed applications even if it's not too exciting.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 5, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Huh, kind of neat actually, his value in limited isn't diminished by the split format.

Should've had different art...

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Re: Blood Sun

If a land has an ability that continuously changes the types of other lands (such as Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth does), that ability will apply before Blood Sun removes that land's abilities.

Can someone explain why this is? I don't understand.

Layers.

Static abilities like these have a set order in which they are applied.
Urborg's ability comes before Blood Suns. (Or Blood Moon's)

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

They also reprinted Sailor of Means and Colossal Dreadmaw. Pretty dumb IMO.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Oh, and we get the SoI enemy taplands instead of the OG Innistrad checklands. :geno:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
This seems rather good, but perhaps it's just my fond memories of wishes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i want to pet the dino

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Somewhat random and off topic - does anyone have the list handy for that modern slivers deck from like a year or two ago that did well? Can't seem to remember who, who, or where that was.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nephzinho posted:

Somewhat random and off topic - does anyone have the list handy for that modern slivers deck from like a year or two ago that did well? Can't seem to remember who, who, or where that was.

http://mtgtop8.com/search (deck name is slivers, format is modern)

Beware though, its an extremely expensive deck for what it is. It is very playable though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh, and we get the SoI enemy taplands instead of the OG Innistrad checklands. :geno:

Was really holding out hope for a reprint of Jungle Shrine. Couldn't have been more on-theme. What are you afraid of Wizards you basically printed City of Brass With Upside for energy decks?

I do like the illos on the taplands though.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 5, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A Sorcery with flash, did design make this set in a dream?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sickening posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/search (deck name is slivers, format is modern)

Beware though, its an extremely expensive deck for what it is. It is very playable though.

Thanks, it came up in conversation while talking through the spoilers and wanted to show someone what it was. I think i have most of it laying around, though, and may say gently caress it and build it. Slivers have always been my favorite since they were introduced and are some of the only cards I haven't unloaded over the years.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mossyfisk posted:

The flash is conditional, so IDK how else you'd design it-- make it an instant that had a rider you could only cast it any time you could cast a sorcery if you don't meet the condition? :shrug:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Murder confirmed too good for standard. Now one mana more and a sorcery.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mossyfisk posted:

All previous templating is "as though it had flash". A rare cycle from Invasion and one Magic Origins card used it. I guess they changed it since every other card type actually gets flash when they become instant-speed, so why let sorceries be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

3x Wooded Foothills
2x Overgrown Tomb
1x Breeding Pool
1x Blood Crypt
1x Forest
4x Mutavault
4x Cavern of Souls
4x Sliver Hive

4x Galerider Sliver
2x Striking Sliver
4x Manaweft Sliver
4x Predatory Sliver
4x Sinew Sliver
2x Leeching Sliver
1x Venomous Sliver
1x Diffusion Sliver
1x Sentinel Sliver
4x Sedge Sliver
2x Blur Sliver
1x Harmonic Sliver

4x Aether Vial
4x Collected Company
2x Dismember

SB:
1x Sliver Hivelord
1x Telekinetic Sliver
1x Homing Sliver
3x Harmonic Sliver
3x Darkheart Sliver
2x Syphon Sliver
1x Diffusion Sliver
1x Venomous Sliver
2x Necrotic Sliver

Off the top of my head, I think that’s what I was running. It’s been almost a year since I played the deck though.