Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm just saying, conjecture means poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

teraflame posted:

I'm just saying, conjecture means poo poo.

Feel free to buy them both and provide us with your insight

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Probably using different springs which does affect tactility quite a bit. I'll probably get a couple to try it out.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

mewse posted:

I popped open a gateron silent brown and the stem looks like an exact match for these new aliaz switches that kbdfans is selling for preorders. The only difference might be a clear SMD housing rather than the pcb mount milky housing I got with these guys from the cool jazz store on aliexpress. Considering the new aliaz switches are selling for 50 cents per switch, don't order them.

How silent are the Silent Browns? And how's the bump feel?

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

How silent are the Silent Browns? And how's the bump feel?

Pretty quiet. The clacking isn't really there. The bump feels like regular brown

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My china o-rings arrived and cut down the travel in half. They also made my work keeb so silent that a coworker asked me if I forgot to bring my kb.

Takes a bit of getting used to since I usually bottom out pretty hard and now it’s all squishy.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I finally got my Vortex Poker 3 with clears and I really like it! The clears are significantly more satisfying than the browns I've used, even if I'm about 15% slower. The smaller layout (60%) is taking me a while to get used to but I really like it.

I'm using it at work and am finding the stabilizers a bit noisy, a bit scratchy, so I'm gonna lube em up.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A guy at work was showing me his new 60% build with Cherry Greens yesterday. I tried typing on it and immediately gave him a WTF look. He said "oh yeah, I also put 180g springs on all the switches!" (normal Greens are 80g).

:psyduck:

He's either going to have freakishly muscular hands, carpal tunnel, or both.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lawen posted:

A guy at work was showing me his new 60% build with Cherry Greens yesterday. I tried typing on it and immediately gave him a WTF look. He said "oh yeah, I also put 180g springs on all the switches!" (normal Greens are 80g).

This is like loading your craft beer with 8 lbs of hops

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the point of that? Do people actually miss the commodore 64 keyboard?

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

I've seen some springs go up to 285g. At that point, you might as well start installing mech pencil springs into your keyboard.

On the note of thick springs, I had stated earlier in the thread I wanted a chunky, heavy, brick shithouse of a switch and I'm happy to say I never had to invent the drat thing myself. I got an order of the NovelKeys Navy Blue BOX Kailh switch and this is absolutely everything I ever wanted in a switch. It makes my Unicomp Model M sound muffled, and feels way more tactile than any other switch I've ever tried. I threw these onto my K-Type while I wait for a TKL PCB to arrive for a custom build. So far I've only used them at length with the stock keycaps on the K-Type, but for the few minutes where I tried some SA profile caps they felt lovely. The spring in these is 60g, but feels much heavier at the point of actuation than cherry greens because of the thicker click bar. I rarely bottom out now, despite having small hammers for fingers.

The one thing that saddens me is the design of the switch means I'll never get a silent switch with the same tactility as this one, so the chances of me using it at any job where I don't have an office are extremely low.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lawen posted:

Just when I thought I was happy with my MX greens...

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Brownie posted:

I finally got my Vortex Poker 3 with clears and I really like it! The clears are significantly more satisfying than the browns I've used, even if I'm about 15% slower. The smaller layout (60%) is taking me a while to get used to but I really like it.

I'm using it at work and am finding the stabilizers a bit noisy, a bit scratchy, so I'm gonna lube em up.

Hell yeah, post how it turns out. Poker 3 rules. I just need to figure out a better key command for arrows that lets me activate them with one hand.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lawen posted:

Anybody who uses greens at work is already hosed up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lawen posted:

No joke, I really want to swap out the springs in my Cherry Red switches for 100g springs. I already bottom out my clears too easily, but I also like that if I type lightly, I can easily actuate the switch without bottoming out and have a much shorter/faster keystroke.
On the flip side of that, I put QMX clips on my Cherry Blues and i'm not a fan of that shortened keystroke with the clicky switches. I think QMX clips on some linear switches with heavy springs would be perfect.

180g though... that seems like a lot.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

clamiam45 posted:

Anybody who uses greens at work is already hosed up.

I use greens at work, in an open floor plan. Luckily, nearly everyone around me uses greens or blues and the couple people who don't either had the company buy them noise cancelling headphones or really don't mind. It does kind of sound like an old secretary pool of typewriters though.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

180g though... that seems like a lot.

100g sounds like a reasonable increase if you're bottoming out but the 180s were just uncomfortable. I can't even imagine the 285g springs that Slurps Mad Rips mentioned.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lawen posted:

I use greens at work, in an open floor plan. Luckily, nearly everyone around me uses greens or blues and the couple people who don't either had the company buy them noise cancelling headphones or really don't mind. It does kind of sound like an old secretary pool of typewriters though.

100g sounds like a reasonable increase if you're bottoming out but the 180s were just uncomfortable. I can't even imagine the 285g springs that Slurps Mad Rips mentioned.

I mean, I bottom out my clears on every stroke and they're practically 100g at peak.
100g would feel like nothing different on some lubed up reds, so I can see where someone might get the idea that 180 would be acceptable. However, in practice, I have a feeling it's less than ideal if you actually do any reasonable amount of typing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I decided to try 125g. If only I could 3d print metal springs. Instead I have to wait for the mail.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rexxed posted:

I decided to try 125g. If only I could 3d print metal springs. Instead I have to wait for the mail.

Nice. I'm very interested to see how that goes. Please post your findings!
Where'd you order them from?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nice. I'm very interested to see how that goes. Please post your findings!
Where'd you order them from?

I ordered from mechanicalkeyboards.com who are not the cheapest but who have a good selection of the gold plated ones in stock and free shipping in the US. They haven't showed up yet but I'm planning to put them in a board full of blues to make them super clunky and keep my greens board as-is.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Pimp My Keyboard is calling for anyone to submit new dyesub DSA designs. Because it's dyesub, there is this one caveat that I feel will limit the possibilities:

PimpMyKeyboard.com posted:

Legends can be in color, however, the text or image needs to be darker in color than the keycap itself. Remember that the keycap absorbs the sublimation ink, so dark green printed on light green will result in black.
There goes any ideas for color keys with white legends :( Might be fun to give it a go, though.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Yo, do you guys gently caress with any of the crazy inexpensive budget mechs that have been coming out lately? I just bought a fully mechanical backlit keyboard with Outemu brown switches and a metal back plate from Velocifire for $27 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8YTYX (with code 43NROQKN)

My current keyboard is a WASD CODE 87 with Cherry MX Clears and white double shot PBT key caps. I bought it three years ago, when ~$100+ was the sweet spot for entry level mechs, so it's great to see the entry cost being lowered to the point where anyone can afford a decent quality keyboard.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 9, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Romulux posted:

Yo, do you guys gently caress with any of the crazy inexpensive budget mechs that have been coming out lately? I just bought a fully mechanical backlit keyboard with Outemu brown switches and a metal back plate from Velocifire for $27 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8YTYX (with code 43NROQKN)

My current keyboard is a WASD CODE 87 with Cherry MX Clears and white double shot PBT key caps. I bought it three years ago, when ~$100+ was the sweet spot for entry level mechs, so it's great to see the entry cost being lowered to the point where anyone can afford a decent quality keyboard.

LOL, everything in the product description is comedy gold, pretty sure they just used google to translate it all from the original Chinese :allears:

So yeah it's cheap, downside is if anything goes wrong with it there's no hope of any meaningful customer service from that company, you're just out the 30 bucks

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Romulux posted:

Yup, but honestly the best bang for the buck is the $30 Team Wolf Zhuque which has hotswappable switch sockets. Comes with Outemu Blues which are way better than Cherry Blues. Problem with it is the tacky gold and puke RGB lighting.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm currently deciding on my first mechanical keyboard, trying to balance my raw lust against my limited budget. So far the hardest part has been trying to convince myself that I don't absolutely need a keypad.

How do you weirdos even do it? What if you need to quickly tally up some receipts? Where do you bind all of your obscure dad simulator functions?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I built a 96-key layout keyboard for work (see post history), which is honestly the only time I've missed having a numpad.

For home use and gaming, I just use 60% or 75%. Even TKL is too wide now. I've pretty much adjusted to using the number row and it's really not too bad. Everything else is in layers.

I also have a separate numpad which I don't really use anymore, but it's not really an option if you're on a budget. I don't know, unless you really use excel or do a lot of data entry everyday, you don't reallllly need a numpad.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I also am coming to the realization that I barely use my numpad, but the Ducky Pocket is just so cool.

Might come a time I eventually sell it anyway though

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Azio MGK1 is cheap, Kailh Browns, pure white LED and no frills for around $60. Nonstandard spacebar. Sold as Exibel in Scandi-land. Thought I should pick it up but am saving for a Cooler Master tkl instead.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just ordered a redragon vara full size unlit, planning on desoldering the blue switches and installing gateron silent browns to use as a work keeb

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can buy a standalone numpad for like :20bux:, that's how much I paid for one that even has knockoff blue switches

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

mewse posted:

I just ordered a redragon vara full size unlit, planning on desoldering the blue switches and installing gateron silent browns to use as a work keeb

Redragon VARA Amazon product page posted:

ALL 104 mechanical gaming keyboards keys are conflict free

I am glad Redragon are a good corporate citizen, being aware of the violence surrounding the making of many luxury-brand keys. I for one will not stand for a manufacturer using blood keys in my mechanical keyboard.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

I'm currently deciding on my first mechanical keyboard, trying to balance my raw lust against my limited budget. So far the hardest part has been trying to convince myself that I don't absolutely need a keypad.

How do you weirdos even do it? What if you need to quickly tally up some receipts? Where do you bind all of your obscure dad simulator functions?

Weird idea, but don't buy a luxury object if you can't afford it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pumprag posted:

I don't understand.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Pumprag posted:

Having a limited budget for a keyboard doesn't mean he can't afford it. Some people just don't want to spend a lot of money on something like this. I don't know if that's the situation for the quoted user, but personally I hate spending money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The difference between having $100 to spend on a new keyboard for the next 5+ years, and having $300 to spend on your third new keyboard this quarter, is a distinction often lost on this thread :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pumprag posted:

Saying you can't spend more than $x on an item doesn't necessarily mean you only have $x to your name. I know it's a rare skill nowadays, but there are still people who know how to budget.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Keyboards $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

apologies to @dril

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Constellation I posted:

Yup, but honestly the best bang for the buck is the $30 Team Wolf Zhuque which has hotswappable switch sockets. Comes with Outemu Blues which are way better than Cherry Blues. Problem with it is the tacky gold and puke RGB lighting.

I can't find that keyboard for less than $60 anywhere, and of course it's not currently running on Massdrop. Sounds great though, I'd love to be able to swap out switches easily.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Ah that's unfortunate. It's on sale on Amazon Canada for $30 like every 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp, gave in to popular wisdom and ordered a silly switch tester. I'm all settled on the tenkeyless layout, but Clears (the only Cherry switch I haven't tried) are the wildcard I just can't make up my mind about.

Pumprag posted:

Easy there big guy, budgets aren't just for the destitute, and as for "luxury object" I'm looking at $150 piece of consumer electronics not a new Aston Martin for my horse masseuse.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 11, 2018