Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone else get notice of this class action? its about vitamix blenders leaving small flecks of teflon in food

https://www.blendersettlement.com

Straight up 404

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Straight up 404

is your browser filtering out non-https sites? its working

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It 404'ed at first but then I removed the s from the https in the URL and then it worked

Looks like my blades were made May 2017 so I don't qualify

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The Vitamix blade assembly is in the pitcher, right? So a gift card is the simplest way to buy a new, (unaffected, assumedly,) pitcher, yes?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You don't get a new pitcher, you get a new blade assembly. New pitchers are like $150

But if you're just gonna use your gift card towards half off a new pitcher, sure

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 5, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

You don't get a new pitcher, you get a new blade assembly. New pitchers are like $150

But if you're just gonna use your gift card towards half off a new pitcher, sure

So is the other option to send it in and wait for them to repair it for god knows how long? Also if I’m giving them the serial on my blender but have since bought a different /newer pitcher... how does that factor, you know?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BraveUlysses posted:

is your browser filtering out non-https sites? its working

The site's certificate is hosed up

firefox posted:

www.blendersettlement.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: gp1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, wac.edgecastcdn.net, ne.wac.edgecastcdn.net, cdn.traceregister.com, s.tmocache.com, s.my.tmocache.com, static.woopra.com, images.esellerpro.com, use.typekit.com, static.iseatz.com, static.https://www.turnto.com inpath-static.iseatz.com, secure.avelleassets.com, static.dubli.com, cdn1.fishpond.co.nz, cdn1.fishpond.com.au, cdn.whois.com.au, ne1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net, edgecast.onegrp.com, cdn.psw.net, cdn.gaggle.net, fast.fonts.com, ec.xnglobalres.com, cdcssl.ibsrv.net, player.vzaar.com, framegrabs.vzaar.com, thumbs.vzaar.com, content.aqcdn.com, ec.dstimage.disposolutions.com, welcome2.carsdirect.com, s1.card-images.com, https://www.outsystems.com https://www.drwmedia.com cdn.taxact.com, cdn.taxactonline.com, ssl.cdn-redfin.com, cdn.foxycart.com, ssl.booztx.com, p.typekit.net, use.typekit.net, cdn.thewatershed.com, b2bportal.disneylandparis.com, b2bportal.disneytravelagents.co.uk, assets.zendesk.com, a.cdnkic.com, s.cdnkic.com, cdn.cartrawler.com, https://www.edgecast.com

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

So is the other option to send it in and wait for them to repair it for god knows how long? Also if I’m giving them the serial on my blender but have since bought a different /newer pitcher... how does that factor, you know?

The answers to these questions are there if you read the link:

http://www.blendersettlement.com/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

The answers to these questions are there if you read the link:

http://www.blendersettlement.com/

Nice! Thanks! Sorry I missed that. :)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hi there, I'm looking for a few things. First off, cheesecloth. Are there any particular brands to avoid or go for? Second, food-safe latex gloves. I looked at the OP (which could use some updating since one or two of the links don't work and a few of the prices have changed) and I was hoping for non-powdered gloves.

I have a cousin who is going to college and I was thinking of getting them a mini-fridge. Would you guys have any suggestions? I don't know how big the dorm room is going to be so I'm flexible on size right now, but it definitely shouldn't be too heavy. Hopefully mini-fridges are less than 25 kg.

The last one is a heating pad. I saw Alton Brown of Good Eats use it to make yogurt and I always wanted to try that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hi there, I'm looking for a few things. First off, cheesecloth. Are there any particular brands to avoid or go for? Second, food-safe latex gloves. I looked at the OP (which could use some updating since one or two of the links don't work and a few of the prices have changed) and I was hoping for non-powdered gloves.

I have a cousin who is going to college and I was thinking of getting them a mini-fridge. Would you guys have any suggestions? I don't know how big the dorm room is going to be so I'm flexible on size right now, but it definitely shouldn't be too heavy. Hopefully mini-fridges are less than 25 kg.

The last one is a heating pad. I saw Alton Brown of Good Eats use it to make yogurt and I always wanted to try that.
For cheesecloth, buy butter muslin on Amazon. Most "cheesecloth" is too loose for most applications.
https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Muslin-2-sq-yards/dp/B004QISGIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515391114&sr=8-1&keywords=butter+muslin

Use nitrile gloves instead of latex, it's more tear-resistant:
https://www.amazon.com/MedPride-Pow...e+gloves+medium

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 8, 2018

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Steve Yun posted:

Use nitrile gloves instead of latex, it's more tear-resistant:
https://www.amazon.com/MedPride-Pow...e+gloves+medium

Also good in case he's cooking for someone with a latex allergy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got my king 6k/1k a few days ago and today sat down and did all my knives, super happy with it, thanks for the recommendation. Took a little time to learn (man is it ever harder to sharpen a curved blade) and I’m sure my technique isn’t perfect but my knives feel great, used one immediately after and couldn’t be happier with the performance.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Got my king 6k/1k a few days ago and today sat down and did all my knives, super happy with it, thanks for the recommendation. Took a little time to learn (man is it ever harder to sharpen a curved blade) and I’m sure my technique isn’t perfect but my knives feel great, used one immediately after and couldn’t be happier with the performance.

Hell yeah, dude. Have fun dialing in your technique.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may not be the best at whetstone sharpening but I am decent and my knives are better for it and I zen-the-gently caress-out whenever I do it. I love it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I enjoy my ceramic knives where they just remain sharp forever and I don't have to go through any sort of ritual.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Also will now heavily prefer knives with minimal or no bolster (like my Zwilling KolorID 8" which is loving amazing).

e: If you like whetstone sharpening you should also try scanning in and digitally developing film I get the same nerd chills from it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm looking fora grill with drip tray like in this picture:

But unfortunately everything I look for that is like this is more like a broiling pan, where the tray is actually surrounding the grill with high walls. This makes it tough for what I want it for (searing with a torch) so I was hoping to find someting very very similar to what is in the image. (It is part of a searing kit but I don't need the torch/its no longer available anyway).

Any suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is this gift set any good? I read the OP, but I'm looking for a secondary set as well.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-4-piece-knife-block-set/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can you live with a 6" chef knife?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

obi_ant posted:

Is this gift set any good? I read the OP, but I'm looking for a secondary set as well.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-4-piece-knife-block-set/

IMO, that is a dumb set. For a Chef's Knife I would want at least 8 inches, a 6 inch Chef's Knife is silly and a Santoku would be a better alternative if you want a short general purpose knife. The serrated knife looks like a solution searching for a problem, too short for a bread knife and bread is one of the few places where I appreciate serrations. The Paring knife should be fine though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IMO, that is a dumb set. For a Chef's Knife I would want at least 8 inches, a 6 inch Chef's Knife is silly and a Santoku would be a better alternative if you want a short general purpose knife. The serrated knife looks like a solution searching for a problem, too short for a bread knife and bread is one of the few places where I appreciate serrations. The Paring knife should be fine though.

Is there a GWS recommended knife set + block? We have an awful Farberware set that really needs an upgrade and I didn't see a recommendation in the OP. I saw a Emeril set at Costco but it got bad Amazon reviews so I held off.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a GWS recommended knife set + block? We have an awful Farberware set that really needs an upgrade and I didn't see a recommendation in the OP. I saw a Emeril set at Costco but it got bad Amazon reviews so I held off.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html + a random knife block. Then if you feel the need to get like, a bread slicer or something your block isn't filled up with useless knives.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheQuietWilds posted:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html + a random knife block. Then if you feel the need to get like, a bread slicer or something your block isn't filled up with useless knives.

Thanks for the link. Was king of hoping for a set with a handful of steak knives, sharpener, shears, etc if possible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks for the link. Was king of hoping for a set with a handful of steak knives, sharpener, shears, etc if possible.

Well, the problem with that is that pretty much every set with a large number of knives and stuff that I have seen is pretty bad quality and includes a lot of crap that you don't really need to make it look like a better value. I recommend buying most stuff individually or the two piece set that was linked is a very good value since both knives are useful and of good quality, there is also a different set with a 8.5" Gyuto that is a bit cheaper and might be a better choice depending on how big your cutting board is. For honing them I would recommend a ceramic rod, I have this one with the sheath so it does not get chipped from banging around in the drawer. For shears look for ones with one piece construction that can be taken apart for cleaning, CKTG has a few different pairs IIRC. There is also a 4 piece steak knife set by Tojiro it's really nice but pretty drat expensive. If you want something more affordable or a larger number of knives I like to just buy some cheap serrated utility knives like these, they cut well enough, the serrations will help them hold an edge over time and if something happens to one of them they are cheap to replace, there are also plain edged versions if you feel confident that you can resharpen them, a bit more expensive though.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Regarding suggestions for auxiliary knife set components, I bought these Messermeister 8 inch kitchen shears a couple years ago based on a recommendation from (I think) Wroughtirony, and I've been happy with them so far.

I also recently bought a Mercer Culinary Millennia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife based on a Cooks Illustrated article from a few years back, and I've been happy with it as well.

I've used a number of sets of varying prices and brand, and I'm way happier having a mishmash of stuff that I like than dealing with something I'm unhappy with from a set.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got a Wusthof set that had a big chef's knife, two small utility knives, a serrated knife, steel, and shears. I'm very happy with all of those, no filler there. It didn't quite fill the block it came in, which is perfect since I picked up a couple other things later.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any preferences/recommendations for a strainer bag? I'm only gonna be using it to make Greek yogurt, if that makes a difference.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Johnny Truant posted:

Any preferences/recommendations for a strainer bag? I'm only gonna be using it to make Greek yogurt, if that makes a difference.

We bought this after we started making yogurt in the Instant Pot. Strains extraordinarily well and cleans easily.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ha, I too just started making yogurt in the IP! I'm starting out with a bag-strainer though, as my kitchen has practically zero counter space. The IP takes up 1/4 of my counter space, for reference.

But if/when I get a bigger kitchen(:pray:) I'm for sure going to get a nicer strainer like this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anyone have a good recommendation for a fairly compact 4-slice toaster? Preferably something that is quick, our current two slice model is very slow, like 5+ minutes to toast bread to a medium brown.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the latest rec for a stainless tri-ply set? Not looking to break the bank here (Sorry, All Clad).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can either get the Cuisinart Multiclad set that's $224 and add a 12" skillet or check out the new Costco Kirkland set that's $300 (can't seem to find this new one one their website)

I used to pump my calphalons for a long time but now it looks like they're on the thin side and most other ones are slightly thicker and cook more evenly as a result.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You can either get the Cuisinart Multiclad set that's $224 and add a 12" skillet or check out the new Costco Kirkland set that's $300 (can't seem to find this new one one their website)

I used to pump my calphalons for a long time but now it looks like they're on the thin side and most other ones are slightly thicker and cook more evenly as a result.

Thanks, went ahead and picked up the 8 piece set that's just missing a an extra saucepan and strainer. Leaves some bucks for a big skillet.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Speaking of stainless steel, I saw a skillet at a thrift shop. Couldn't make out what brand it was so I'm not sure if it's good quality. Do they have much utility for someone who's got a cast iron and non stick already? If so does a $13 thrift store skillet have much value or is it best to just wait till I can afford a good quality one?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

plz dont pull out posted:

Speaking of stainless steel, I saw a skillet at a thrift shop. Couldn't make out what brand it was so I'm not sure if it's good quality. Do they have much utility for someone who's got a cast iron and non stick already? If so does a $13 thrift store skillet have much value or is it best to just wait till I can afford a good quality one?

Eh. Stainless steel is cheap. I mean, if you wanted to, you can buy a new Cuisinart skillet for $25. What you want is a "tri-ply" or "multi-ply" skillet - they heat much more evenly.

Cast iron + non-stick will do pretty much whatever you need anyway. I haven't used my stainless (tri-ply, whatever) skillet in a month or two.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I got a Wusthof set that had a big chef's knife, two small utility knives, a serrated knife, steel, and shears. I'm very happy with all of those, no filler there. It didn't quite fill the block it came in, which is perfect since I picked up a couple other things later.

We got this set when we got married. Nearly two decades ago. We have upgraded the paring knife, and I am about ready for a new chefs knife, but this set has been really great. Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker and generally good care has been all these needed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a 12" stainless skillet that is heavy as hell, takes forever to heat up, and when it gets hot - just keeps getting hotter even if you keep turning down the heat. I swear it defies physics. But it's big, dead flat, and is good for searing meat. Also goes into the oven and dishwasher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I used to always tell people not to buy sets, but I saw some Henckels and Shun sets at Costco for $200-250 that were mighty tempting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I picked up this set a few years ago; we use it all the time and, for us, at least, we use all of the knives (we need them all and there weren't any we don't use or use infrequently):

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-6-Piece-Chef-Knife/dp/B0000DJZME

It was way way less expensive though (I think we got it on sale) and we cook mostly from scratch, so our use case may be different from others'.