Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FrankZP posted:

The meat cleaver dipshits are probably low-expense troops intended to spook civilians. It's not like you need a platoon of bombards to shake-down the average colony outpost for valuables. Besides, depending on the state of Grineer biotech and on material availability, it's entirely possible they can pump out soldiers faster than they can manufacture firearms, and it might even take fewer resources to grow a basic grunt and put a knife in his hands than to build just one gun.

Also If you take into account the whole "Grinner degenerate" because they are copies of copies of failed genetic molds maybe the butcher units are so dumb that a melee weapon is all they can operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr Cheeto posted:

When people talk about the left side do they mean the Meridian, the Arbiters, and Suda? Why does that seem more popular?

Steel Meridian sends Eximus Roller squads at you.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Pacifist capitalists are good friends :colbert: I am much more apathetic about edgelord assassin cult and human supremacists.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

Presumably because everybody on the right side sucks. Steel Meridian seems to be the most common syndicate people choose and they've got the most likable motives and leader.

Amusingly, when I heard the initial Steel Meridian recruitment pitch, I reminded me ISIS, Hamas, etc. Publicly, at least, those groups are all "This war's chewin' up the weak and innocent. No one stands up for them but [us]." :colbert:

And Perrin reminded me of Space Libertarians.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

gaj70 posted:

Amusingly, when I heard the initial Steel Meridian recruitment pitch, I reminded me ISIS, Hamas, etc. Publicly, at least, those groups are all "This war's chewin' up the weak and innocent. No one stands up for them but [us]." :colbert:

Except we have no instance where Steel Meridian attack or oppress anyone who is not of Grineer empire. Instead we see them more often trying to save Grineer defectors.

Perrin is not libertarian since they don't have any obsession with securing their property from authorities. They're space capitalists but uses less violence to make a profit. New Loka and Red Veil are space fascists. Suda is just another autistic digital person. Hexis is... I guess space weaboos are most correct.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can someone give me a brief synopsis of "waybound" and focus poo poo? Does that mean that I can only have whatever skills from the tree I have lenses on active at any given time or....?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

gaj70 posted:

My dog Cressa Tal out here trying to rehabilitate motherfucking ghouls and you're tryna to say she's Osama bin Laden

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Don't forget that with some work you can max out four syndicates.

The two enemies of your favorite faction are the only ones that you can't really involve yourself with. The standing loss from working with your main faction's ally's rivals has to end up somewhere.

For example, if your main is Steel Meridian, you gain Red Veil juice for free without losing standing with the Veil's enemies, which are Hexis and Suda. Once you're maxed out with the Veil without ever doing any missions for them, you can do all the Hexis/Suda missions you want, as long as you pay attention to how your Veil standing is decreasing to ensure you don't lower it enough to drop a tier. Then you keep working for the Meridian to fill up your Veil standing again, and so on and so forth.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 5, 2018

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Can someone give me a brief synopsis of "waybound" and focus poo poo? Does that mean that I can only have whatever skills from the tree I have lenses on active at any given time or....?

Yeah I could use an explainer too. It is super confusing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
At a high level, you pick a primary school and that's the one you get the perks from. Waybound operator perk stuff is an exception. Once you max it out, you can cash in an eidolon core to have it be permanent no matter what school you have selected.

For Fashionframe purposes, you get the animation set once you unlock a given school.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Echophonic posted:

At a high level, you pick a primary school and that's the one you get the perks from. Waybound operator perk stuff is an exception. Once you max it out, you can cash in an eidolon core to have it be permanent no matter what school you have selected.

For Fashionframe purposes, you get the animation set once you unlock a given school.

But what does "waybound" even mean? There's no explanation anywhere that I could find.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

he1ixx posted:

But what does "waybound" even mean? There's no explanation anywhere that I could find.

Waybound is just the word for the operator perks you can make permanent. The term in itself doesn't actually make any sense to me, either.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

he1ixx posted:

Zenurik/Madurai/Unairu/etc. are alternatively called Ways. An ability that is Waybound is one that can be unbinded from its original School/Way and activated in any of them.

Echophonic posted:

Waybound is just the word for the operator perks you can make permanent. The term in itself doesn't actually make any sense to me, either.

Yeah, you would think that Waybound would refer to the skills that you can't use cross class, but :shrug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, I guess it's a skill you're permanently binding to yourself via the Way?

Regardless, I'm probably never going to get any, given how annoying collecting that much focus is.

Oh yeah, is there a good Eidolon hunting guide kicking around? I want to get started on that and get a new Amp.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just sighed in defeat when I found out you need 1,000,000 focus to waybound a skill. The eidolon part is no big deal, but it took a week just to get the 490,000 of its previous level.

But focus they want to be a very long term grind, and I think it has gotten close to that. I'd like to be able to hit the daily cap without making a special effort for it and just be limited on real world time. I believe that the points needed to level up skills is much more reasonable nowadays, and you would still be limited by the cap to where it would take a week to max out a skill if reaching the cap all the time.

I'd like them to implement a massive bonus to focus gain when using an amp/operator. Like 50% of all affinity gets turned into focus. That would convince me to hop out more often.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

My dog Cressa Tal out here trying to rehabilitate motherfucking ghouls and you're tryna to say she's Osama bin Laden

You need to read between the lines to understand who and what they really are; they're not going to say it outright. The intellectual development of a SM recruit probably goes like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 5, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FrankZP posted:

Don't forget that with some work you can max out four syndicates.
Yeah except the efficiency of doing that is so low that there's really no point in doing it except to prove a point. Most of the syndicate items can be traded, and it's faster to just switch sides to get the ones you can't and then switch back than try maxing out 4 factions.

IMO right side is better because (unless something has changed) augments have the best return in terms of plat/rep, and the demand for Vampire Leech and Eternal War is bottomless.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I picked the right side because it had the augments for the frames I play.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Echophonic posted:

I picked the right side because it had the augments for the frames I play.

I think I joined some horrible murder cult because they offer a weapon I want, yeah. I could not begin to care about the syndicate lore or anything other than their offering pages. :v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I picked left side because steel meridian seemed like the rare non-assholes of the universe and having unlimited shield ospreys from suda is handy

It's been pretty trivial to trade for right side stuff with goons though, unless it's like weird off-hours there's usually someone who needs something to swap for

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

New Loka are pricks and red veil sucks hard cause they try to assassinate my defection objectives which gets you on my permanent poo poo list

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

ZeusCannon posted:

Just started playing this again and wow it feels waay smoother. I do have one question will i ever have to stop using the bow because i really dont want to. Its hilarious.

Also is there an xbox clan?

For eggs box action either myself or Lightning Knight are often on, but there's no organised goon clan or anything. You're welcome to join mine if you don't have one already, it's got 99% of poo poo already researched (gently caress Hema).

If you see me on (gt: NumptyScrub) hit me up I'm happy to taxi noobs around for farming or missions :coal:

Also thirding the Lenz, it is seriously the coolest dumb idea for a bow ever.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah except the efficiency of doing that is so low that there's really no point in doing it except to prove a point. Most of the syndicate items can be traded, and it's faster to just switch sides to get the ones you can't and then switch back than try maxing out 4 factions.

Eh, depends on your priorities I guess. I prefer having a wider variety of stuff available at one time, earning faction standing is trivial, and the amount of enjoyment I get out of my day to day life is inversely proportional to the amount of MMO trading I have to do.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Steel Meridian owns and their syndana flares up as you form a wake of blood through the people attempting to kill you (spoilers: they don't!!)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

"We believe that profit can be made without violence", says the faction that sends assassins after me literally every single day.

Red Veil and New Loka were also awful in Harrow/Titania's quest. Meanwhile the Meridian is cool, Suda was great in Octavia's quest, and Hexis are a bunch of fellow Tenno. gently caress the right side.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Suda is my fun science friend and the shield ospreys are surprisingly useful. The one downside is that I really wish I could buy a stack of Ancient Healers from Loka, because that armor buff is pretty sweet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

It's not super clear what the arbiters are besides huge tenno wannabes since they're the only faction without a quest still

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

meridian and hexis are the only ones without dedicated frame quests yet

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hexis are basically a bunch of Tenno supremacists that wear silly hats and ramble about "truth" and "honor" and are obsessed with swords and always talk like anime villains and oh my god my primary syndicate is the alt-right isn't it :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gaj70 posted:

There's literally no in text evidence to support this read, is the problem. Steel Meridian are deserters, at great personal risk, from a fascist empire who thereafter basically operate like the historical Knights Templar in space.

DoombatINC posted:

Hexis are basically a bunch of Tenno supremacists that wear silly hats and ramble about "truth" and "honor" and are obsessed with swords and always talk like anime villains and oh my god my primary syndicate is the alt-right isn't it :ohdear:

What? No, Hexis are ascetic transhumanists. They're space monks who believe the Tenno represent the next stage in human evolution.

The right side factions really have very little redeeming characteristics. New Loka are fundamentalists who seem to have inherited a warped version of the Orokin genetic caste system ideology, Red Veil are the actual faction that could be compared to ISIS, and Perrin are space capitalists. Capitalism always betrays you in the end.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 5, 2018

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

meridian and hexis are the only ones without dedicated frame quests yet

Clemframe 2018?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Quirkk posted:

Clemframe 2018?

Khora is most likely going to be the Steel Meridian questframe, given that she's got the Kavat summoner thing going on.

No idea what to expect from Hexis though. They're last in line.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DoombatINC posted:

No, New Loka are the literal blood and soil faction.

From the Codex:

quote:

Only through restoration of a pure humanity and the repopulation of Earth can the conflict end. The New Loka are worshippers of the human form and Earth, before its corruption.

No matter how far we reach into the stars New Loka knows it is Earth that has always been our home. Turning away from genetic tampering that has twisted the Grineer and the technological meddling that has corrupted Earth it is New Loka that fights for the repopulation of a world once abandoned.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Blood and soil (German: Blut und Boden) is a slogan expressing the nineteenth-century German idealization of a racially defined national body ("blood") united with a settlement area ("soil"). By it, rural and farm life forms are not only idealized as a counterweight to urban ones, but are also combined with racist and anti-Semitic ideas of a sedentary Germanic-Nordic peasantry as opposed to (specifically Jewish) nomadism.

The doctrine not only called for a "back to the land" approach and re-adoption of "rural values"; it held that German land was bound, perhaps mystically, to German blood.[8] Peasants were the Nazi cultural heroes, who held charge of German racial stock and German history—as when a memorial of a medieval peasant uprising was the occasion for a speech by Darré praising them as force and purifier of German history.[9] This would also lead them to understand the natural order better, and, in the end, only the man who worked the land really possessed it.[10] Urban culture was decried as a weakness, "asphalt culture", that only the Führer's will could eliminate — sometimes, as a code for Jewish influence.[11]

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What? No, Hexis are ascetic transhumanists. They're space monks who believe the Tenno represent the next stage in human evolution.

Tomato, tomahto :shrug: their vision of the singularity has fewer TED Talks, they're still truthers that own too many torches and pictures of swords

Also "they're not Tenno supremacists, they just believe their race is the most advanced" is maybe not a point in their favor

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

New Loka's beliefs also take on a different light when you recall that the Orokin Empire was heavily stratified with a genetic engineering based caste system, with the upper echelons of society being less overtly modified in form (they tend to be beautiful, symmetrical in features) but in fact highly genetically engineered to be as they were, with most Orokin technology responding to induced genetic markers to determine who could and could not use it. The lower castes of Orokin society were frequently visibly modified, and held in disdain by the aristocracy for it who would claim themselves to be more natural and pure.

What I'm getting at here is that New Loka are probably descendants of the lower rungs of Orokin nobility.

DoombatINC posted:

Tomato, tomahto :shrug: their vision of the singularity has fewer TED Talks, they're still truthers that own too many torches and pictures of swords

Also "they're not Tenno supremacists, they just believe their race is the most advanced" is maybe not a point in their favor

What does this even mean.

Also uh, Hexis' arguments are kind of hard to compare to any real world ideologues when Hexis' claims have actual basis in fact. The Tenno are superhuman.

Also I'm starting to think people are confused: Arbiters of Hexis are not, themselves, Tenno. They're normal humans.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 5, 2018

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Also, to be fair, their belief system could have changed slightly after a certain quest, if Amaryn (I think that's the name of their leader) was being honest about her future actions.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

e: Just for some more fun New Loka bits, here's what they say when they try to kill you:

quote:

"The impure, the unworthy have no future."
"You will be cleansed."

:thunk:

DoombatINC posted:

The Arbiters of Hexis are not themselves Tenno, though, and so far their philosophy has been pretty on point. Their whole schtick is that the Orokin were wasting the potential of the Tenno by making them mindless soldiers, and that by ditching the idea that they exist only to fight they could turn their talents to other purposes and maybe even figure out what's going on with the void.

I can totally see them being evil, though, but so far in game they seem alright.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2018

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Arbiters have incredibly fashy taste in interior decor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

Cressa Tal is real and strong and she is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think the best way to look at the various syndicates is a left to right scale of progressivism to reactionaryism. Steel Meridian are violent revolutionaries, the Arbiters of Hexis want the Tenno to change the system, Suda just wants to scan things, the Perrin Sequence wants to a peaceful return to order, the Red Veil want a violent return to order, and New Loka wants the ethnic cleansing of genetically modified humans and lebensraum.