Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

Institute Executive pay multiplier caps

I would love to see this nationally implemented, or be a component of a grand trade agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Reverse every piece of anti-union legislation made over the last 60 years

Ban back-to-work legislation or at least allow unions to filed an immediate charter challenge through the SC

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
man the Husky dog I got here is loving this weather

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

"The loss of 60,000 jobs" out of how many? A hundred thousand? A million? Ten?

The BoC's statement is effectively "nationwide" but iirc they were specifically referring to Ontario and Alberta. According to their respective governments, Ontario had an employed population of roughly 7 million people in 2016 (latest numbers I could find in a quick search) and Alberta had 2.3 million.

So, 60,000 jobs out of over 9 million. Yeah, it's going to devastate the country.

E: I guess if you assume all 60,000 will be minimum wage jobs, it goes up to 60,000 out of about 2 million, so, 0.03% instead of 0.006% of the labour force, roughly.

The BoC also said consumer prices are expected to go up 0.1% but aggregate real wages are expected to go up 0.7%

So, yeah, total devastation. The worst.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2018

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The whole minwage debate is really getting to me right now, because I'm constantly reading shitheels saying that minwage work is only unskilled labour and knowing that I've been looking for entry level graphic design work to do in town and it often only pays minimum wage or slightly above, and I had coffee with a classmate who is a creative director at a design firm and only makes 15.30. Like, these people act like having an education means you can make more than minimum wage, but no matter what I do I can't seem to escape it or get far from it. Even at my previous job where I made $2 above the min wage it wasn't a livable wage.

But woe be to the job creators.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Syfe posted:

The whole minwage debate is really getting to me right now, because I'm constantly reading shitheels saying that minwage work is only unskilled labour and knowing that I've been looking for entry level graphic design work to do in town and it often only pays minimum wage or slightly above, and I had coffee with a classmate who is a creative director at a design firm and only makes 15.30. Like, these people act like having an education means you can make more than minimum wage, but no matter what I do I can't seem to escape it or get far from it. Even at my previous job where I made $2 above the min wage it wasn't a livable wage.

But woe be to the job creators.

gently caress them, it's not just unskilled labor it's also semiskilled labor where the supply way outstrips the demand. assholes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

I guess the proper question is what do we consider "employment" these days

The job numbers are always fudged and cherry picked and what counts as employed changes based on what they are trying to sell.

The one example that always stuck out to me was Harper using "Self employed" in his numbers since it was a significant percentage of Alberta jobs jut after the oil market crash but by no means was accurate or reflective of the actual job market in that province or country.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Are we using Labour force participation? The one where you don't count people on EI or assistance or people who just don't care about finding jobs or whatever

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There are so many people I know who would benefit from a minimum wage increase but we're not going to get it because the people living in a place with one of the cheapest costs of living got mad at a 1% GST increase and now we're losing ERs and bus fare is skyrocketing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

There are so many people I know who would benefit from a minimum wage increase but we're not going to get it because the people living in a place with one of the cheapest costs of living got mad at a 1% GST increase and now we're losing ERs and bus fare is skyrocketing.

That's radically oversimplifying things but ok

(Hint: half their party didn't like them and tried to initiate a coup because they were so mediocre)

E: Also I'm pretty sure bus fares are a municipal thing?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

You really need to leave Winnipeg, you sound miserable as hell.

Just dont ask me where you could go because I certainly wouldnt suggest Ontario post-Patrick Brown if you are planning on using public transit or healthcare. :v:

:smith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya it really is oversimplified but I didn't feel like making a paragraphs long effortpost outlining how even the NDP can turn to garbage if lovely self serving career politicians are left in power for too long and that the party leadership stuck around for far too long while eating breakfast. The current pathetic state of the NDP is the result of a multi faceted failure and it sucks that the narrative being spun by the right about the current leadership is as effective as it is. At least Pallister's hatchet job is so visible that it may still result in him only getting a single term.

Furnaceface posted:

You really need to leave Winnipeg, you sound miserable as hell.

Just dont ask me where you could go because I certainly wouldnt suggest Ontario post-Patrick Brown if you are planning on using public transit or healthcare. :v:

:smith:

I don't think Winnipeg is the problem. Things are a work in progress.

Also

quote:

E: Also I'm pretty sure bus fares are a municipal thing?

The large fare increase is due to the provincial government freezing their portion of public transit funding at 2016 levels, rather than growing it along with inflation.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 5, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.focusonvictoria.ca/janfeb2018/bridge-design-flaw-hidden-for-a-year-then-given-quick-and-dirty-repair-r15/
Jesus, Victoria's bridge fiasco keeps getting better and better. They've had to hack on this big ugly panel due to some new design or manufacturing flaw made by the lowest-bidder chinese company. The article covers this new delightful development but then goes back and puts the whole saga into perspective as well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Ya it really is oversimplified but I didn't feel like making a paragraphs long effortpost outlining how even the NDP can turn to garbage if lovely self serving career politicians are left in power for too long and that the party leadership stuck around for far too long while eating breakfast. The current pathetic state of the NDP is the result of a multi faceted failure and it sucks that the narrative being spun by the right about the current leadership is as effective as it is. At least Pallister's hatchet job is so visible that it may still result in him only getting a single term.

I don't think Winnipeg is the problem. Things are a work in progress.

If that worthless gently caress isn't out in 2020 I'm moving, and I'll campaign for the NDP to do what I can to make sure it happens.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Right now we are either rocketing towards a NDP/Liberal Minority government or a larger PC Majority because the Liberals got better and split the left vote.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

Lol at the idiots in this thread being surprised by business owners stealing from their wage slaves

like thats literally how the system is designed to work
yeah,

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/949287462408372230

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

EvilJoven posted:

even the NDP can turn to garbage if lovely self serving career politicians are left in power for too long

Actually the NDP's default status is garbage.

People often mistake my qualified support for the party (and my advice that people maintain some level of involvement with them) as some kind of partisan endorsement but the NDP is terrible and their actual record of time in government only makes them, at best, moderately better than the truly awful Liberal and Conservative alternatives.

The party could conceivably be a vehicle for a motivated political movement from the left but as the party currently exists it is structurally incapable of accomplishing anything of significance.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The NDP, and all socdem parties really, are garbage because they are still working for the benefits of the monied class. Using democracy to curb only the worst excesses of capitalism doesn’t work because the system inherently funnels money to the rich, who then use that money to increase their own political power and interests.

Sure you won’t find many Leftists that hate New Deal economics, but if you have to do a new New Deal every 50 years to tackle obscene wealth inequality then the problem isn’t with the parties, the fundamental problem is the system. Social democrat, Liberal, Conservative, they’re are all part of the same twisted system that is fundamentally designed to put money and therefore power into the hands of the rich few

Vote Marxist bitches :anarchists:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Actually the NDP's default status is garbage.

People often mistake my qualified support for the party (and my advice that people maintain some level of involvement with them) as some kind of partisan endorsement but the NDP is terrible and their actual record of time in government only makes them, at best, moderately better than the truly awful Liberal and Conservative alternatives.

The party could conceivably be a vehicle for a motivated political movement from the left but as the party currently exists it is structurally incapable of accomplishing anything of significance.

So where does a Canadian leftist go? I've kind of reached the same conclusion, the NDP seem determined to steer to the center without any acknowledgement in the changing dynamics of anglo-american politics. There just seems to be a complete lack of political organization I can really commit to. I've focused my energy on local issues and volunteering that affect my family and the community which has been great in that it provides a tangible goal with real benefits and encourages you to work with people of all political stripes. But at least in Toronto over the past 5 years there doesn't seem to be much to support.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The NDP are basically the british labour party but with much more effective internal controls to prevent people like Corbyn from ever becoming leader and sinking the party's gains with dangerous unapologetic leftism. We need strong stable middle of the road leaders that don't offend the middle class or those working to join it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It seems that the Canadian leftist either leaves or just hangs on until there's a massive paridigm shift in the country. Hopefully this shift doesn't involve violence. If it does involve violence hopefully it won't happen to us.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If you could actually change anything by voting they wouldn’t let you do it.

I’ll be holding my nose and voting liberal this election. They’ve somehow swung so far to the right they found themselves swinging out to the left. The fact that Wynne told those small business people to get hosed is even better. I want zero sympathy or mercy for any business owner.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Greg Selinger was a crony-capitalist right-wing Premier who's only purpose was to cultivate pet road projects so he had an easier drive out to his cottage.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

If you could actually change anything by voting they wouldn’t let you do it.

I’ll be holding my nose and voting liberal this election. They’ve somehow swung so far to the right they found themselves swinging out to the left. The fact that Wynne told those small business people to get hosed is even better. I want zero sympathy or mercy for any business owner.

At least post the thing. I'm starting to like her, she's the most amazing political super villain of our time. I'm leaning towards voting for her because I think that's the best vote to spite people who vote for her.

quote:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2018/01/05/pick-a-fight-with-me-mr-joyce-not-those-working-the-pickup-window.html

I got into politics because I believe in a province where everyone has a fair shot at getting ahead. I believe in a province that grows by creating more fairness and opportunity. A province where government exists to create positive change for people.

That’s why we are raising the minimum wage to $15 in Ontario. Because it’s the right thing to do. Because a decent day’s work deserves a decent wage.

This move isn’t about politics. It’s about people.

People such as Aisha Abdunnur, a 21-year-old woman from Ottawa who recently told Chatelaine the minimum wage increase “will change my life because, hopefully, I won’t be constantly worried.”

She said, for her and her family, the increase is “about basic things” like simply being able to afford much-needed iron supplements.

The minimum wage increase will change her life and so many others across Ontario. No young woman should have to compromise her heath. No parent working more than 40 hours a week should have to go to a food bank to put food on the table.

That’s why the minimum wage increase is the right change at the right time.

Ontario’s economy is strong. Real GDP growth has grown faster than Canada’s and those of all other G7 nations for the past three years and unemployment is at a 17-year low. But those gains have not been shared equally.

That’s not right, and it’s not who we are as a society.

It’s past time we put people ahead of profits. That’s why I am so disheartened when I hear some of the wealthiest among us want to offset this much-needed raise on the backs of their employees.

Workers at a Tim Hortons in Eastern Ontario have been asked to sign a pledge agreeing to work nine hours and be paid for eight and agreeing to lose their health benefits all because the owner of their store says he can’t afford the minimum wage increase. I must admit, I was deeply upset to read these reports.

Because this demand is coming from Ron Joyce Jr. — a man whose family founded the Tim Hortons chain, which was sold for billions of dollars.

Asking workers to sign a pledge agreeing to unpaid breaks or agreeing to less pay than actual hours worked is neither decent nor fair.

I’ll be blunt. It is the act of a bully.

If Mr. Joyce wants to pick a fight, I urge him to pick it with me and not those working the pickup window and service counter of his stores.

Tim Hortons is a Canadian institution. It’s a ritual before Saturday morning hockey and a daily habit many of us enjoy. But I know I want the person who hands me a tea or coffee in the morning to be able to pay their bills, raise his or her kids and enjoy the full benefits of life in Ontario. Again, I think that’s just fair — and I know many people across this province agree.

Because at its core, the minimum wage debate is about what kind of society we want to live in. I look to the south, where middle class children lost health care coverage in the same bill that cut taxes for the richest of the rich, and I know it’s the wrong path. That’s not who we are as a province, and it’s not who we are as a country.

Raising the minimum wage is not a radical act. It’s just fair.

And I have read all the studies. I can tell you the overwhelming evidence is clear — a higher minimum wage puts more money in people’s pockets. It’s money they need and it’s money they spend — putting it right back into our economy.

I will never back down from my commitment to a $15 minimum wage because everyone in Ontario deserves a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It seems like every politician ends up 'improving' the road to their home, it's like a cliche. Sellinger and the roads in MB. Mike Harris and the twinning of HWY11 up to North Bay. Sheila Copps literally getting the road paved to the laneway of her cottage (I forget which one but I'm p sure it was either a stretch of Black Lake Rd or Pannache Lake Rd but it really did get paved right up to her lane and not a foot further).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

It seems like every politician ends up 'improving' the road to their home, it's like a cliche. Sellinger and the roads in MB. Mike Harris and the twinning of HWY11 up to North Bay. Sheila Copps literally getting the road paved to the laneway of her cottage (I forget which one but I'm p sure it was either a stretch of Black Lake Rd or Pannache Lake Rd but it really did get paved right up to her lane and not a foot further).

Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson too, lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

When I was last in Ukraine people would comment on every super nice well paved but empty highway to nowhere saying which local politician had a dacha or villa out that way. Some stopped half way because the politician went to jail or something before he could finish his personal highway project, but then the anti-corruption candidate that took his place transferred all the funds to pave a road to his dacha instead, which would be totally expected. In fact people would buy land and invest in developments based on this. "Oh, the leading candidate has a huge summer home at the end of this unpaved rural highway? Time to buy up land because that will surely be a big paved 4 lane deal in a couple years!"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Good thing Pallister lives in Costa Rica so we won't have this frivolous spending anymore

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/APTNNews/status/949396753043701760

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.focusonvictoria.ca/janfeb2018/bridge-design-flaw-hidden-for-a-year-then-given-quick-and-dirty-repair-r15/
Jesus, Victoria's bridge fiasco keeps getting better and better. They've had to hack on this big ugly panel due to some new design or manufacturing flaw made by the lowest-bidder chinese company. The article covers this new delightful development but then goes back and puts the whole saga into perspective as well.

In the Victoria Reddit there were some people talking about how this was actually fine and normal. Normally the Victoria Reddit is making GBS threads all over Lisa Helps and doing everything they can to talk about how everything in Victoria is poo poo and Langford and Saanich are awesome so I'm inclined to believe that this is actually fine. Also one of the people may have been an actual engineer. That being said I am not an engineer so it may actually be bad and horrible.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Chicken posted:

In the Victoria Reddit there were some people talking about how this was actually fine and normal. Normally the Victoria Reddit is making GBS threads all over Lisa Helps and doing everything they can to talk about how everything in Victoria is poo poo and Langford and Saanich are awesome so I'm inclined to believe that this is actually fine. Also one of the people may have been an actual engineer. That being said I am not an engineer so it may actually be bad and horrible.

I mean it's probably structurally sound, but it's like buying a new car and finding out it has a rebuilt title.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chicken posted:

I've lived in the CRD for only two years now so I still don't get what the gently caress is the deal with Victoria and Saanich people seeming to be at each other's throats. :shrug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Good thing Pallister lives in Costa Rica so we won't have this frivolous spending anymore

I still voted for Selinger, he was the least bad option but him and Doer were two shills in a pod

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

I still voted for Selinger, he was the least bad option but him and Doer were two shills in a pod

CanPol Megathread: I still voted for the least bad option

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kazinsal posted:

I've lived in the CRD for only two years now so I still don't get what the gently caress is the deal with Victoria and Saanich people seeming to be at each other's throats. :shrug:

Saanich has gone all-in on cars, low density restrictions, and class segregation. Victoria is trying to do transit and bikes and actually pays the costs associated with the region's homeless. Most of the time when you hear someone raging about Lisa Helps and her war on cars and handouts to the lazy they're not even a victoria voter, they live in Saanich or Langford and just want victoria to subsidize their driving and free parking. But don't dare ask any surrounding municipality to build a homeless shelter or affordable housing or anything, that all needs to be dumped in Victoria and paid for by Victoria alone. At the same time they'll complain endlessly that Victoria spends too much on handouts to homeless people and that's why there's so many, it's like feeding seagulls you see!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is why cities need toll gates at all entrances.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Most of the time when you hear someone raging about [CITY MAYOR] and [HIS/HER] war on cars and handouts to the lazy they're not even a [CITY] voter, they live in [SUBURB-A] or [SUBURB-B] and just want [CITY] to subsidize their driving and free parking. But don't dare ask any surrounding municipality to build a homeless shelter or affordable housing or anything, that all needs to be dumped in [CITY] and paid for by [CITY] alone. At the same time they'll complain endlessly that [CITY] spends too much on handouts to homeless people and that's why there's so many, it's like feeding [REGIONAL PEST ANIMAL] you see!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

Works for London

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

EvilJoven posted:

I'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Oh, poo poo. Toll gates. My bad, I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So raising the minimum wage makes everything more expensive, what if we lower to $0? Holy moly everything would be free!!