Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pretty thorough write up on the Mellow https://www.wired.com/review/mellow-sous-vide-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:randstare:

holy poo poo

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wow. That's horrifying.

I did get a little laugh from the following line:

quote:

When I asked about the Ewok-era Ratkowsky data

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wonder if that goon is still a part of it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Ouch.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I thought that the rule was no more than 4 hours between 40-140, not two hours though?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

This is pretty brutal and also why Anova axed their 'put food in an ice bath and Anova will start cooking once it hits 40F.' There's no upside to this feature as you'll just get savaged.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hi guys! Like a few other goons in this thread, I also recieved a Joule for Christmas, and sous vide'd a New York Strip steak to test it out. I did what the recipe asked for by just generously salt and peppering the cut, and seared it in a pan after in the puddle with some avocado oil. The results were incredible; the steak blew the socks off of my dad, who is a huge outdoor BBQ guy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwiniwn posted:

I thought that the rule was no more than 4 hours between 40-140, not two hours though?

I'm not re-reading but the 4 hours, from what I gathered, was a 1983 FDA publication. Both FDA and USDA state 2 hours from a quick google now.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm going to give them a tiny bit of slack, in that they're right that the FDA/USDA guidelines are "very general," as they must be if you're trying to come up with one number (actually two, they state one hour in the danger zone above 90 degrees) to cover all possibilities. I mean, we're all familiar with the FDA guideline to cook poultry to 165 degrees, and why that general guideline isn't useful for certain more specific situations.

Most bacterial growth rates peak around human body temperature +- about 10 degrees; rates really start to drop off as you go outside the peak range (our bodies take advantage of this, using fever to slow pathogen growth when an infection is detected). So they're correct in noting that time in the danger zone <70 degrees and <50 degrees is really different than time at room temperature/"still warm from cooking" temperature.

All that said, they clearly have done no rigorous testing, are at best skirting the edges of what MIGHT be safe, and it's an overpriced, over complicated, and in many ways limited gadget so... no thanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And they just come off as so shady about the whole thing. Why not just incorporate "add ice water and your food, and turn it on" as part of the instructions? It's not like people will follow them anyway but at least then you come off as up-front about it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Or just build the water basin/container out of a giant yeti like double insulated pressed stainless material.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
At first sight I thought the 1/10 was the page number.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So folks I'm trying Salmon Mi-Cuit for the first time tomorrow and I have some questions.
1. Do I cut off the skin before curing and dropping it in the SV?
2. I bought some fresh Atlantic Salmon from a nice fish market around the corner, but some places online say to only use sushi-grade meat. I'll be fine, right?
3. Any other poo poo I should look out for?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

So folks I'm trying Salmon Mi-Cuit for the first time tomorrow and I have some questions.
1. Do I cut off the skin before curing and dropping it in the SV?
2. I bought some fresh Atlantic Salmon from a nice fish market around the corner, but some places online say to only use sushi-grade meat. I'll be fine, right?
3. Any other poo poo I should look out for?

Yes cut off the skin and debone if you can.
Sushi grade meat isn't a real thing so as long as it's fresh it's fine
It's delicious

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I always wondered about sushi grade and then a fishmonger told me all his fish is sushi grade because otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to sell it (in Germany) because sushi grade just means it is in compliance with food safety standards that would prevent selling if the fish posed a harm due to bacteria levels etc. Not sure that applies everywhere...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
IIRC a lot of high end places in the US and Japan got caught selling tuna with mercury levels like 10x the legal limit a while back.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I guess "liquid poison-grade" isn't a marketable quality distiction...

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

Hopper posted:

And if you add a bit of butter right before searing the steak it helps get a good crust. I learned that in this thread.

Also turn the steak every 10-15 seconds and sear for no longer than 1 minute total (says Kenji and it works every time).

I had an argument with a friend about this- doesn't this burn the butter, and isn't that bad? A quick google leads me only to recipes recommending basting with butter, not searing. This thread is the only place on the internet I've seen searing with a little butter recommended.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I Sv some pork chops (are they chops if they are the boneless things? The real common pork cut...) and then dredged in flour/salt/pepper and crisped in butter and oil.

Removed the meat and made a grenobloise sauce and man that was loving tasty.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Loco posted:

I had an argument with a friend about this- doesn't this burn the butter, and isn't that bad? A quick google leads me only to recipes recommending basting with butter, not searing. This thread is the only place on the internet I've seen searing with a little butter recommended.

I think that poster meant finishing with butter not searing the entire time with it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You heat a cast iron pan with oil as usual, then immediate before you put the steak in you add a tiny bit of butter, which will bubble up immediately and then you plot the steak onto it. Never burned the butter for me, but you have to turn the steak every 10-15 secs.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yes cut off the skin and debone if you can.
It's delicious

Alright groovy. Pretty sure the fish is deboned-- or at least I hope so, since I don't have any pliers.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Ah, then I guess turning the steak frequently is the trick I missed that prevents the butter from burning. I will have to try it out!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Depending on how hot your pan is, not turning your steak every 15s is what causes it to burn, not the butter per se.
I use a literally smoking hot cast-iron pan and I do 10-15s max per side for a total of 1-1.5 mins max. Otherwise my steak ends up too done inside.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I haven't quite figured out the searing thing, but I think I'm getting closer. Previously I was using butter as my only oil, but I found that it did indeed get burnt. Last time I seared, I tried using canola oil and adding the butter right at the end and pouring it on top of the steak. This seemed to go a lot better.

Also, I typically sear outside on a cast iron skillet on my grill's side burner, but I've tried it inside a few times as well due to weather. Thinking hotter = better I cranked my electric coil stove-top up as high as it'd go and used canola oil. Turns out the flash point of canola oil is about 600f and those coil can get pans much hotter than that. Thankfully, I had a lid on it already to try to direct the smoke to the vent next to the burner. I guess I'll stick with outdoors for now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I use lump charcoal and my charcoal chimney to sear. Put the grill grate right on top and fan the heat from below. I’ve got it up in the 1000 degree range easily. Sears in seconds and doesn’t smoke up the house like cast iron (still do that when it’s raining).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't quite figured out the searing thing, but I think I'm getting closer. Previously I was using butter as my only oil, but I found that it did indeed get burnt. Last time I seared, I tried using canola oil and adding the butter right at the end and pouring it on top of the steak. This seemed to go a lot better.

Also, I typically sear outside on a cast iron skillet on my grill's side burner, but I've tried it inside a few times as well due to weather. Thinking hotter = better I cranked my electric coil stove-top up as high as it'd go and used canola oil. Turns out the flash point of canola oil is about 600f and those coil can get pans much hotter than that. Thankfully, I had a lid on it already to try to direct the smoke to the vent next to the burner. I guess I'll stick with outdoors for now.

Yeah, I have auto ignited my oil before on my glass top before. Lid to the rescue.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's delicious

You got me curious. Sushi-grade means nothing for bacteria. You need to cook soon after buying/thawing for that.

However, for parasites, sushi-grade means frozen long enough to kill parasites. See image below and SE article linked later:

(This image and the next are from Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter)

Low-temp cooking:

Other considerations for you:

(Second book: ATK Science of Good Cooking)

(Last book: The Food Lab)

I'm not an expert, just a nerd with some books, so grain of salt and all that.

Edit: then there's Serious Eats read on this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/how-to-prepare-raw-fish-at-home-sushi-sashimi-food-safety.html#Tips tl;dr: make sure your market packs fish in ice and turnover is high. Should smell like the sea, not like fish. Keep it in your fridge packed in ice/ice water, and cook/consume ASAP. Still look out for parasites when you slice it before SVing.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 6, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sushi grade has no regulatory definition and as such, while it can mean that the seller verified proper handling and freezing through the distribution chain, it can also mean absolutely nothing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My main takeaway from that is that BrianBoitano owns a goatse cup.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Two, actually. Shot glass (pictured) and mug :krad:

Goon Empty Sandwich sold them in SA-mart in 2009 (?) or so, and they're priceless. Drinking hot chocolate out of them is the height of sophistication.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 7, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

24 hour chuck tender. Probably needed 48 total but still drat good. Seared before, 10 min roast afterwards for the herb crust.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 7, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

24 hour chuck tender. Probably needed 48 total but still drat good. Seared before, 10 min roast afterwards for the herb crust.

GET IN ME NOW!

Oh, that's a picture. That someone else took...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Huh? Are you trying to eat your screen?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 7, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Huh? Are you trying to eat your screen?

No. Those are NOT tongue marks on the screen.

Really, they aren't.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bottom Liner posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck me. I have a tied-up chuck roast in my freezer right now that I've been meaning to cook for months. What temp did you sous vide at and what's the herb crust recipe and finishing process?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seared with butter/salt/pepper in a smoking hot cast iron on all sides for 30 seconds

Bag it with garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper (chunky sea salt and coarse ground)

Sous vide for 24+ hours at 131 (24h for chuck roast, 48 for chuck tender). I double bag big meats that are going in for more than 12 hours, but that's because I use cheap freezer bags.
Put on a roasting pan and let drip dry

Make a reduction of the bag juice

Brush on juice

Brush on egg wash with egg white

Chop up a bunch of rosemary and thyme, mix with salt and pepper and a little olive oil

Rub on herb mixture liberally

Roast for 10-12 mins at 450. The rub with be crunchy but not burnt.

I served it with homemade horseradish and habanero sour cream dipping sauces. Fantastic.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 7, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Seared with butter/salt/pepper in a smoking hot cast iron on all sides for 30 seconds

Bag it with garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper (chunky sea salt and coarse ground)

Sous vide for 24+ hours at 131 (24h for chuck roast, 48 for chuck tender). I double bag big meats that are going in for more than 12 hours, but that's because I use cheap freezer bags.
Put on a roasting pan and let drip dry

Make a reduction of the bag juice

Brush on juice

Brush on egg wash with egg white

Chop up a bunch of rosemary and thyme, mix with salt and pepper and a little olive oil

Rub on herb mixture liberally

Roast for 10-12 mins at 450. The rub with be crunchy but not burnt.

I served it with homemade horseradish and habanero sour cream dipping sauces. Fantastic.

Why, why do you have to hurt me like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
The Mi-Cuit is finished! I'd take some pictures but my camera (and the lights in my apartment) sucks. I made a simple sauce from sour cream and ricotta and spread that on some cracker-sized slices of a rye mini-loaf, with a couple slices of salmon on top. A+, easy as poo poo, would recommend.