Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

Knew a JRTOC kid who claimed he'd never gently caress a girl in the rear end, because how is that different from loving a guy in the rear end?

Edit: He joined the Marines.

He's not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just an rear end in a top hat

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Just an rear end in a top hat

Fantastic post/username combo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sea Scouts was better than jrotc and you learn actual useful life skills if you were anywhere near a body of water.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The thing about JROTC is that there's a curriculum they're supposed to teach, but maybe half of the units out there don't bother. They just spend all their time marching around preparing for pointless drill competitions. That's about as worthless as a study hall.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Casimir Radon posted:

They just spend all their time marching around preparing for pointless drill competitions.

That was basically my Air Force basic training. That and folding my clothes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

dscruffy1 posted:

My oldest niece is in high school ROTC and is pretty gung ho about joining up when she graduates. She doesn't want to do Air Force though because it's too cerebral. She'd rather Army.

She's like 14 so I still have time to talk her out of it, but eh. You can't make anyone else's poor life decisions for them.

You can tell her the stereotypes.

Barracks as a woman
Enlisted as a woman
Officer as a woman
Being a woman in the field (like having to instruct women how to insert a tampon for whatever safety brief thing I read on here).

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol too cerebral your niece is fuuuuuuuuuucked

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

Being a woman in the field (like having to instruct women how to insert a tampon for whatever safety brief thing I read on here).

A Guide to Female Hygiene by a Hefty Bag Full of Coleslaw

Brought to you by :biotruths:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

That was basically my Air Force basic training. That and folding my clothes.
Now imagine you spent 4 years doing that and thinking you're better than your regular high school peers. Only to have that illusion come crashing down in the real world.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That was pretty much my first response when I heard it but y'know. She's pretty much given up on academics with that attitude, I'm not sure how to break it to her that they all require a HS diploma/GED.

I haven't had a chance to talk to her in depth at all but I still think it's funny.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

boy scouts >jrotc

we had adult leadership

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I quit the boy scouts because I got tired of people telling me what to do while they sat on their asses. Then I enlisted, because I'm stupid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

By half the dudes in her unit, probably.

Smiling Jack posted:

boy scouts >jrotc

we had adult leadership

Mine had mormon leadership. Utterly worthless. Cub Scouts on an overseas AFB was loving awesome, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I quit boy scouts because once we moved out of Webelos and into the larger den or whatever they wanted way too much of my time, and of course everything was organized by kids so everything was a clusterfuck. That's not a word you want to use to describe winter camping -20 weather. I think everyone who came out of our little den quit all around the same time.

A guy I was in JROTC with decided against enlisting in the marines because he prayed on it and god told him not to. Which is probably for the best in general, and especially if you know him. After spending most of his 20s working food service jobs he decided to go become a corrections officer, and ended up with my dad as his supervisor. He says he's a nice kid but will probably need to be babysat to some degree until he retires.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Knew a JRTOC kid who claimed he'd never gently caress a girl in the rear end, because how is that different from loving a guy in the rear end?

Edit: He joined the Marines.

Well he probably knows now!

dscruffy1 posted:

That was pretty much my first response when I heard it but y'know. She's pretty much given up on academics with that attitude, I'm not sure how to break it to her that they all require a HS diploma/GED.

I haven't had a chance to talk to her in depth at all but I still think it's funny.

Sounds like prime enlistee material.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did JROTC for three years and then I thought that if this was just playing at being military that I did not want to spend four of my adult years getting yelled at over stupid poo poo like not wearing my hat outside or that my gig line wasn't perfect and wearing really badly fitted shoes and then on top of that having the potential to be shot at. It really is the best and worst recruiting tool for the military I feel.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Soulex posted:

You can tell her the stereotypes.

Barracks as a woman
Enlisted as a woman
Officer as a woman

Also all of the sexual assault.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

KildarX posted:

Did JROTC for three years and then I thought that if this was just playing at being military that I did not want to spend four of my adult years getting yelled at over stupid poo poo like not wearing my hat outside or that my gig line wasn't perfect and wearing really badly fitted shoes and then on top of that having the potential to be shot at. It really is the best and worst recruiting tool for the military I feel.

I didn't learn this lesson after four years :negative:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Also all of the sexual assault.

It’s loving scary how much of it goes on.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

why does anyone do jrotc

is there any benefit at all

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
You can come in as like an e2

Lol

Edit maybe e3 if you do all four years.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Soulex posted:

And how little of it is punished, because commanding officers are perfectly happy to sweep it under the rug. Can't "ruin the career of an otherwise upstanding soldier/airman/sailor/marine :downs:"

I would never recommend a woman join the military for that reason alone.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't same sex sexual assault in the military about even with opposite sex?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I got a coworker who described problematic behavior from leadership during Thursday’s in Afghanistan.

I thought that was a myth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

why does anyone do jrotc

is there any benefit at all

Colleges and employers love it because they think it shows responsibility and integrity. So it's big points in financial aid and job applications. It also got me out of so many classes in high school because the teachers thought it was loving great that I was doing so much ~whatever~ (sleeping in my car or playing basketball) around the school.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mods change my name posted:

You can come in as like an e2

Lol

Edit maybe e3 if you do all four years.
Oh, Iraq isn't going well so we're giving that to everyone anyway.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I got E2 for doing some checklist (memorizing phonetic alphabet, learning marching orders, that kind of poo poo) and passing a PT test prior to shipping to basic. I can't imagine putting up with 4 years worth of that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i mean i came in as an e-1 and by the time i got out of AIT i was an E-2 just off of TIG

id rather get rank for just showing up than by hating myself for 4 extra years

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I went in as an E1. Made it to E5 without having to go to an official promotion board. My motto was “default!”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

I went in as an E1. Made it to E5 without having to go to an official promotion board. My motto was “default!”

In the AF nowadays, officers don't compete/board (records-only boards) until O-5. :lol:

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Soulex posted:

It really is. I go to my local VA and am one of the only younger guys there. Other than that it is nothing but younger females that wont look me in the eye or wont stand up right and I want to be like "what is wrong" but ya know I would never.

My doc says she sees more sexual assault cases and women than ill ever know, some men too but the poo poo that happen to some women I cant imagine it. It makes my blood boil.

That poo poo breaks my heart. I would kill a motherfucker if I saw that poo poo going on I do not get how people enjoy it.

I am 6'5 225 and I just cant imagine being a girl in this world. You gotta be loving on alert 24/7 it seems. I dont know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

all apologies posted:

It really is. I go to my local VA and am one of the only younger guys there. Other than that it is nothing but younger females that wont look me in the eye or wont stand up right and I want to be like "what is wrong" but ya know I would never.

My doc says she sees more sexual assault cases and women than ill ever know, some men too but the poo poo that happen to some women I cant imagine it. It makes my blood boil.

That poo poo breaks my heart. I would kill a motherfucker if I saw that poo poo going on I do not get how people enjoy it.

I am 6'5 225 and I just cant imagine being a girl in this world. You gotta be loving on alert 24/7 it seems. I dont know.

A girl I know tried to join the Marines, but ended up injuring herself in training and was medically drummed out before she ever finished.

When I found out that she tried, I was floored. She's a tiny queer girl with very left-wing liberal beliefs (including anti-war), and she was trying to join the USMC. It felt as bizarre as snow on an 80 degree day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Happens to big physically strong woman too. My friend was a buff chick but alcohol is the devil.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My friend was stationed at Ft Drum and would routinely wake up with other soldiers who had broken into her room. Among other things.

She’s hosed up and doesn’t talk about it much but yeah.

Worst story I heard was how this woman contractor deployed, her male counterparts loving locked her in a connex and raped her for days/weeks until finally someone caught on. I got that my first year in at a command visit to Talil or Al Asad.

I’d gently caress anyone up too if I saw that. I don’t care how much bigger they are than me.

You don’t rape/sexually assault people. I don’t understand the mindset of why people think it’s ok and do it. Alcohol facilitates but what loving thought process do you have?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Local dude in Afghanistan tried to have a go at a female soldier and she hosed his world up. He was on the ground bleeding before he knew it. She didn't say anything for a while because she knew someone would murder the dude.

Just wish this happened any time some demented gently caress tried to rape someone.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

Worst story I heard was how this woman contractor deployed, her male counterparts loving locked her in a connex and raped her for days/weeks until finally someone caught on. I got that my first year in at a command visit to Talil or Al Asad.

burn this god forsaken planet to the ground, the cockroaches can have it

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

One of my close friends at Ramstein woke up one day to hearing her door close. She went to our 1SG and pulled the video at the dorms, and it turns out the dorm manager (e6) had been going into her room and watching her sleep. It'd been going on for weeks before she finally heard the door.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What the gently caress is wrong with our overall male culture. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chitoryu12 posted:

When I found out that she tried, I was floored. She's a tiny queer girl with very left-wing liberal beliefs (including anti-war), and she was trying to join the USMC. It felt as bizarre as snow on an 80 degree day.

A friend of mine who is also very left-wing did join the USMC out of some drive to be a paladin and save the world. Spoiler: He did not save the world.