Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zoran posted:

Oh, are we back on the “ANH was a terrible mess that was saved by the edit” thing again?

Do you have any memes proving otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

Oh, are we back on the “ANH was a terrible mess that was saved by the edit” thing again?

No I'm saying that George Lucas produces demonstrably better films when he takes a backseat.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I think after ANH was almost a disaster he should've just stuck to the story treatment role and let others direct and pull a script together. It worked pretty well when he did that (ESB, Raiders).

Agree, it is funny because I think if Lucas had come up today he would make an excellent showrunner for TV.

euphronius posted:

Dialog in the prequels was fine. A new hope was distracting because the actors were trying to be too naturalistic with the unnatural lines. He did a much better job directing the actors in the prequels and in RoTj to be flatter in their delivery and it worked much better.

Imho of course.

The dialogue felt stilted and to be honest if you have the bevy of talent Lucas had available, even fairly average dialogue can work. I am not sure why you wouldn't expect your actors to be generally naturalistic anyway. Why bother getting Jackson, McGregor, Neeson, Stamp etc if you don't want them to humanize their characters. The universe itself is mechanical enough, what made the original films work as well as they did was that you had the hero's journey with enough pathos to sell it in a weird space environment. Space senate and governments moving to fascism/dicatorship is not an uninteresting idea (frankly it is a hell of a lot more inspired than VII and VIII to me) but if your characters feel like wood moving through a very rote story, well you are going to have problems.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like the prequels, but whatever Lucas and Christensen were doing with his weird riff on James Dean is not one of the things I stick up for.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas intended for mostly flat dialog. It's the aesthetic he wanted and got. I think it works well in the prequels.

As for getting famous actors that's a lot about box office. Wrt SLJ I think he requested to be in the movie? Alec Guinness was definitely box office.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zoran posted:

I am sorry that this theory impugns the editing instincts of a dude who took that film which won an award for editing and dumped back in a scene that slows down the first act, restates redundant information the audience has already been told, creates a continuity error, and neuters a villain that had been previously saved for the third film. In order to showcase some state-of-the-art 90s CGI character animation that aged real bad. :smug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If the dialogue and delivery was supposed to be terrible it would've been better if they got complete unknowns or even non-actors. Instead he directed talented people to act as poorly as possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was supposed to be in most cases flat. Not terrible lol. There are obviously scenes where the actors do much more emoting and in think the contrast pays off well.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think the problem with some of the movies was that ALL of the characters had the arch dialogue and acting, whereas in the good ones there are characters who are more informal to contrast.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

euphronius posted:

As for getting famous actors that's a lot about box office. Wrt SLJ I think he requested to be in the movie? Alec Guinness was definitely box office.

It probably is about box office, but that doesn't really change that the talent who would probably be fine if the dialogue didn't make them appear so artificial. I think you would really struggle to find actors who could make the dialogue in the films work that much better. If he was going for flat he hit it out of the park, and it just didn't work at all for me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As a corollary to what euphronius is getting at, if you don't see the difference between "flat" and "bad," then you are suffering from unexamined expectations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know about the editing thing either way, but it's not as if saying that Hitchcock owes a great deal of success to Alma Reville is impugning his talent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think the problem with some of the movies was that ALL of the characters had the arch dialogue and acting, whereas in the good ones there are characters who are more informal to contrast.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shepard.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Bongo Bill posted:

As a corollary to what euphronius is getting at, if you don't see the difference between "flat" and "bad," then you are suffering from unexamined expectations.

Flat can definitely be bad though, and generally is an unflattering description- you don't tend to aim for flat. Most stories you want your actors to be displaying emotions and pulling your audience in. Flat may work as a statement in itself or in a more mechanical story, BUT is that what Star Wars really is? At least what expectation is and what I would say makes the series work. You can have interesting higher concepts, but if you want to create a microcosm in that with people we are supposed to care about, well it behooves you to make them dynamic and interesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

It probably is about box office, but that doesn't really change that the talent who would probably be fine if the dialogue didn't make them appear so artificial. I think you would really struggle to find actors who could make the dialogue in the films work that much better. If he was going for flat he hit it out of the park, and it just didn't work at all for me.

He was def going for "flat, talking head dialog" that moves the plot along. Except for the obvious climax scenes where every word is important like with Palpatine and so on. Or when obi wan breaks down at the end of ep 3

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

Flat can definitely be bad though, and generally is an unflattering description- you don't tend to aim for flat. Most stories you want your actors to be displaying emotions and pulling your audience in. Flat may work as a statement in itself or in a more mechanical story, BUT is that what Star Wars really is? At least what expectation is and what I would say makes the series work. You can have interesting higher concepts, but if you want to create a microcosm in that with people we are supposed to care about, well it behooves you to make them dynamic and interesting.

On the one hand I think Disney's doing a good job making even lofty dialogue like Kylo Ren's or Snoke's interesting, but on the other they rely way too much on quips when the humor in the Lucas films was almost all visual or character-based.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The only real issue I have with the dialogue or delivery in the ST was when Leia had to say the word 'Snoke' in an otherwise serious scene. In isolation that line comes across as a parody of science fantasy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm reminded of something i read once where the author asserted that you could watch all 6 star wars movies without dialogue, just the music and sound effects and still have a pretty good understanding of what is going on

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still laugh at every C-3P0 scene and wish he was in more of it

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Flat-ominous is good

Just flat is bad

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

If the dialogue and delivery was supposed to be terrible it would've been better if they got complete unknowns or even non-actors. Instead he directed talented people to act as poorly as possible.

You’re operating under faulty premises. It is foolish to insert the word “bad” into the phrase “on purpose”. The assertion that things are “on purpose” is redundant anyways; of course a movie was made purposefully.

When we remove these stupid parts of your post, we are left with this:

“The dialogue and delivery was supposed to be. He directed people to act.”

You are beginning with a conclusion - “...therefore, it’s bad!” - to distract from the fact that you are saying nothing. You skipped every step in your rush to post.

For example, you have skipped the basic step of identifying different styles of acting. You are effectively claiming that there are only four type of acting, that can be charted on an X/Y axis of Good/On Purpose:

-Good On Purpose
-Good Not On Purpose
-Bad On Purpose
-Bad Not On Purpose

That is stupid.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

On the one hand I think Disney's doing a good job making even lofty dialogue like Kylo Ren's or Snoke's interesting, but on the other they rely way too much on quips when the humor in the Lucas films was almost all visual or character-based.

Kylo Ren is the standout to me, but in general the primary characters are written adequately as far as humanizing them goes. It also helps that they are all capable actors. I would actually say that VIII actually made Rey a more dynamic character as well and shifted her much more in a positive (character writing wise) direction. My sort of problem is that, yeah this is Disney. We aren't going to get a more nuanced look about good and evil. The quips were really awkward at times, the yo momma opener in VIII was REALLY painful and there are definitely some issues balancing humor in with the current films.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

The only real issue I have with the dialogue or delivery in the ST was when Leia had to say the word 'Snoke' in an otherwise serious scene. In isolation that line comes across as a parody of science fantasy.
Snoke is a dumb name and it's okay to say so. It would work perfectly fine in a science fantasy novel, but Jack Vance came up with a lot of names that would be silly to say out loud.

No, never mind, I want to see Kylo Ren go up against Howard Alan Treesong.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’re operating under faulty premises. It is foolish to insert the word “bad” into the phrase “on purpose”. The assertion that things are “on purpose” is redundant anyways; of course a movie was made purposefully.

When we remove these stupid parts of your post, we are left with this:

“The dialogue and delivery was supposed to be. He directed people to act.”

You are beginning with a conclusion - “...therefore, it’s bad!” - to distract from the fact that you are saying nothing. You skipped every step in your rush to post.

For example, you have skipped the basic step of identifying different styles of acting. You are effectively claiming that there are only four type of acting, that can be charted on an X/Y axis of Good/On Purpose:

-Good On Purpose
-Good Not On Purpose
-Bad On Purpose
-Bad Not On Purpose

That is stupid.

What did you mean by meme before you edited? I literally just suggested that different casting choices could've benefited the angle he was going for (if indeed he was going for anything).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

if indeed he was going for anything).

Are you suggesting the movies are accidental ?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah... On the balance I'm okay with the new film but the Whedonification of dialogue is definitely infecting it and it's not great.

Steve2911 posted:

https://vimeo.com/202443968

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah... On the balance I'm okay with the new film but the Whedonification of dialogue is definitely infecting it and it's not great.

https://vimeo.com/202443968

I'm ok with it but it does distract from the film. But whatever. Lucas doesn't have total control anymore and they look great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is Anakin Skywalker. We have purposely directed him wrong, as a joke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

euphronius posted:

Are you suggesting the movies are accidental ?

They can be. Plenty of movies achieve something other than the director's intent. :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There was a documentary about some film or another entitled "Films Aren't Released, They Escape."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

They can be. Plenty of movies achieve something other than the director's intent. :shrug:

Well ok but Lucas intended the dialog you see on the screen to be there. Actors weren't reading from other movies or novels or improvising.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ANAKIN: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

PADME: I should go.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

They put some willow stuff in the Star Wars Databank as an April fools joke back in like 2004.

loving hell

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

euphronius posted:

Well ok but Lucas intended the dialog you see on the screen to be there. Actors weren't reading from other movies or novels or improvising.

Idk man, can you show us some actual lines you liked?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

Idk man, can you show us some actual lines you liked?

Liked? Who cares what I like. But ok for example most of the dialog between Gui gon and Schmi I like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If a Gungan and a Wookie save each other's life do they have a mutual life debt and basically might as well get married?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

i'm reminded of something i read once where the author asserted that you could watch all 6 star wars movies without dialogue, just the music and sound effects and still have a pretty good understanding of what is going on

George Lucas himself asserted that ANH in particular is almost a silent film, in which the dialogue is just another sound effect that adds to your understanding of the action.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here you go to fairly answer your question I like this by of dialog a lot

ANAKIN: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?

QUI-GON: What makes you think that?

ANAKIN: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

QUI-GON leans back and slowly smiles.

QUI-GON: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him.

ANAKIN: I don't think so ... No one can kill a Jedi.

QUI-GON: I wish that were so...

ANAKIN: I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here to free all the slaves... have you come to free us?

QUI-GON: No, I'm afraid not ...

ANAKIN: I think you have ... why else would you be here?

QUI-GON thinks for a moment.

QUI-GON: I can see there's no fooling you ... (leans forward) We're on our way to Coruscant, the central system in the Republic, on a very important mission.
-----

I assume that's accurate. I'm going off internet scripts who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

Here you go to fairly answer your question I like this by of dialog a lot

ANAKIN: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?

QUI-GON: What makes you think that?

ANAKIN: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

QUI-GON leans back and slowly smiles.

QUI-GON: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him.

ANAKIN: I don't think so ... No one can kill a Jedi.

QUI-GON: I wish that were so...

ANAKIN: I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here to free all the slaves... have you come to free us?

QUI-GON: No, I'm afraid not ...

ANAKIN: I think you have ... why else would you be here?

QUI-GON thinks for a moment.

QUI-GON: I can see there's no fooling you ... (leans forward) We're on our way to Coruscant, the central system in the Republic, on a very important mission.
-----

I assume that's accurate. I'm going off internet scripts who knows.

Huh, I didn't remember them using the term "laser sword" before Luke's dismissive line in TLJ.