Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

This last slog from 45 to 50 is pretty aggravating, especially since Dzmael Darkhold and Aurum Vale are two of the most aggravating dungeons in the game.

Do you get a boost now that it’s 2 expansions old? Leveling that stretch with meager 1x exp was agony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you get a boost now that it’s 2 expansions old? Leveling that stretch with meager 1x exp was agony

There’s some accessories that give bonus XP until 50 but I dunno if it’s all preorder/digital deluxe stuff or if there’s any that are obtainable in-game.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you do roulettes and try to hit up the challenge log, the 46-49 gap can be invisible.

But if the question is "do all of the 2.x quests give 1k xp?" It's yes, they do. But you'll be 53+ by the time you make it over the wall across the bridge to 3.0.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

There’s some accessories that give bonus XP until 50 but I dunno if it’s all preorder/digital deluxe stuff or if there’s any that are obtainable in-game.

Almost everything outside of the Brand New Ring is exclusive to special editions, pre-orders or the cash shop, iirc.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
friendship circlet is have a friend use your trial code then sign up for 30 days

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What special items increase your exp gain after level 20? Because the friendship circlet is just to that level.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Brand New Ring (30%) is good until 30. There are some earrings that are good until 50 (20% I think). You also get a flat 50% gain on your second DOW/M class, too. (Plus rested)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Ala Mhigan Earrings give a 30% boost to 50, but I think they were a Stormblood preorder item.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There’s still a gap 46-49 for MSQ on your first character which is a pain your first go around

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Phone posted:

Brand New Ring (30%) is good until 30. There are some earrings that are good until 50 (20% I think). You also get a flat 50% gain on your second DOW/M class, too. (Plus rested)

It's 100% sub-60 and 50% from 60-69.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

RME posted:

There’s still a gap 46-49 for MSQ on your first character which is a pain your first go around

First character, agreed, but squadron Stone Vigil is too good for your 2nd+.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dang, I only have the Brand New Ring. Oh well. I'll get there somehow.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Squadron missions can also get you a ton of 15 percent battle exp bonus manuals. They don't stack with free company bonuses but if your FC doesn't have the max bonus up constantly they help.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And then eat a boiled egg or eat a grape for an extra +3%.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 5, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's this Brand New Ring thing about? Not finding anything on xivdb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

What's this Brand New Ring thing about? Not finding anything on xivdb.

Do the Novice training thing and you get it when you finish every mission for your role.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so is it called something else? It's been like 18 months since i did the training, i probably have it buried on some retainer then.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HenryEx posted:

Okay, so is it called something else? It's been like 18 months since i did the training, i probably have it buried on some retainer then.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Brand-new_Ring

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.xivdb.com/item/14043/brand-new+ring

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, i always need to use xivdb to convert item names since i'm not playing in English.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm going to miss Ysale and Estinien's bickering when it's inevitably over.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Armory Bonus (+100% 1-59, +50% from 60+)
Rested XP (+50%)
Squadron Battle Manual (+15%)
EVERY Food (+3%)

Brand New Ring (30% 1-30)
Friendship Circlet (20% 1-25)
Ala Mhigan Earrings (30% 1-50)

If I could hand over my Ala Mhigan earrings, I would. It doesn't help me loving at all, since I haven't had a job on my main below level 50 since HW launched the three new jobs. (though technically, I did spend headstart on Omega grinding out a character to help fund the Eurogoon house using that headstart bonus + free playtime for hitting level 30 instead of bashing my head against Raubahn EX)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 5, 2018

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Note that for the Brand New Ring, Friendship Circlet, and Ala Mhigan Earrings, the bonus isn't granted on your actual level, but on your effective level. So if you wind up in Sastasha again, you can put on all three of those for an extra 80% XP. Of course, the payout is so loving meager that you probably won't give a poo poo, but there you go.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think if you buy Honeybuns in the US you can get a code for a :siren:4%:siren: food.

The items give their xp bonuses to crafter/gatherers too.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
What is armoury bonus and how do I get it and the squadron manual? My first char is 46 and I'm crossing that gap

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Turpitude posted:

What is armoury bonus and how do I get it and the squadron manual? My first char is 46 and I'm crossing that gap

Any class that has a level less than your highest class level gets the armoury bonus.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm walking up to the Red Mage quest line NPC and she's all "Nuh uh, you have to register Stormblood first" and i'm like "I'm standing in front of you with level 61, what do you want from me"

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Have you got to stormblood though?

edit: oh apparently you only need to have finished ARR, contact support?

oh no blimp issue fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 5, 2018

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

HenryEx posted:

I'm walking up to the Red Mage quest line NPC and she's all "Nuh uh, you have to register Stormblood first" and i'm like "I'm standing in front of you with level 61, what do you want from me"

oh no blimp issue posted:

You don't actually need to get to Stormblood content to unlock RDM, you just need to be level 50 and have cleared The Praetorium (and have SB registered obviously). If you've done both of those things, the Distraught Lass in the Ul'Dah marketplace should kick it off. If not, send a support ticket I guess?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

oh no blimp issue posted:

you can get the stormblood jobs as soon as you hit 50 and own stormblood

it's not like the HW jobs where you need to physically go to Ishgard

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

They probably mean the level 60-something job quest that requires completion of all hw main story quests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For ninja when should I be using Doton vs the fire spell?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah i meant the lv. 50 quest for RDM from the girl in Ul'dah, it's locked for me.

edit: I'm just restarting the game, that should fix it, the fact that i was still using the HW snowy main menu should have tipped me off that something was wrong lol

i think i had the exact same problem at the start with HW, where i registered it, but the NPC wouldn't let me into Ishgard. I haven't advanced the quest to SB territory yet, so i hadn't noticed until the job lady in Ul'dah told me to get hosed.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

For ninja when should I be using Doton vs the fire spell?

Use Doton if you can guarantee you'll be hitting at least two enemies for 18s or more (270 - 360 potency). You'll need to really trust your tank on that, because it's easy to move mobs out of it.

Use Katon otherwise, because that's an easy 250.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yay, I just killed Nidhogg's wife.

I'm sure this'll do wonders for the peace effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Use Doton if you can guarantee you'll be hitting at least two enemies for 18s or more (270 - 360 potency). You'll need to really trust your tank on that, because it's easy to move mobs out of it.

Use Katon otherwise, because that's an easy 250.

Is it worth Kassatsu-ing Doton or should I not bother?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The crit effect works on each dot tick, but I prefer to either:
Katon - Kassatsu - Katon or Doton - Kassatsu - Katon

I just prefer the reliability of Katon over the damage of Doton. Once a couple AOEs are on the floor, the tank is going to move stuff out of your dot and probably not bring it back.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
kassatsu will make every tick of doton crit. if kassatsu is up and you're going to use either katon or doton it's worth burning it.

for the record, i don't think it's worth dotoning very often unless you're sure you can trust your tank, but i'm also butt at playing melee dps

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The crit effect works on each dot tick, but I prefer to either:
Katon - Kassatsu - Katon or Doton - Kassatsu - Katon

I just prefer the reliability of Katon over the damage of Doton. Once a couple AOEs are on the floor, the tank is going to move stuff out of your dot and probably not bring it back.

Sounds good! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Why is there an aethernet crystal in a land people haven't been to in a thousand years