Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

moths posted:

4e was a Benghazi or HER EMAILS for a lot of nerds. They didn't understand it, but they were told it was awful and it somehow proved some undefined tummyfeel was right all along.

To be fair, many of them weren't just told, they did play it and then reacted badly. For lots of people, the rule-laden, exception-laden, encyclopedic money-pit that is classic AD&D is their favourite game. I don't get it, but suppose it has to do with them playing it when they were 13 and imprinting on it like ducklings. Which is unfortunate - how you can look at the mess that was D&D v3 and not think it needed major refactoring, I don't know. But it's made innovating the product without alienating the existing audience difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

slap me and kiss me posted:

My black box basic D&D set game with a gridded map and cardboard cutouts of the heroes and monsters.

It's always been a boardgame
I had a lot of fun trolling nerds complaining abound 4e with "What next? All distances in the rulebook being given in terms of inches on the tabletop? Spells having different ranges based on the scale of the map you're using? That's absurd. Gygax would be rolling over in his grave."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Third point five D&D sprang fully formed from the forehead of Gygax like Athena being birthed by Zeus. Didn't you know that?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 5, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think we do sometimes lose the thread that it's totally okay not to like 4E as a game, and that what was infuriating and mockable was that the reasons provided by a lot of detractors were nonsense. So many of their complaints were about things that have always been true of D&D and often were especially true of their preferred edition. In the rare cases they had a different kind of complaint, it invariably hinged on a rose-tinted, mythologized vision of the D&D of yore.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think we do sometimes lose the thread that it's totally okay not to like 4E as a game, and that what was infuriating and mockable was that the reasons provided by a lot of detractors were nonsense. So many of their complaints were about things that have always been true of D&D and often were especially true of their preferred edition. In the rare cases they had a different kind of complaint, it invariably hinged on a rose-tinted, mythologized vision of the D&D of yore.

It's a wonderful game but I wonder if half the people in this forum defend it out of spite from most of the posts I see.

Serf
May 5, 2011

it was my first RPG and i still have a lot of good memories of crowing around a coffee table, sitting on the floor running the game from a laptop with masterplan and a grid that was too big for the surface

i look forward to being a 4e grog in 20 years

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
To be fair, there is a lot other systems could improve on.

1) Don’t be crap. After a group has spent a few hours learning FFG Star Wars only to find that Auto Fire breaks the system over its knee, groups are going to be saying “all systems are bad, so no point changing from D&D even if it’s bad.”

2) Sample Adventures. They reassure new GMs, they resolve social issues (the person running isn’t the “bad guy” if the PCs died to what was in the book all along), and they create a shared inter-group experience which is critical in the age of game blogs and streaming. No excuses. Sample Adventures.

3) Get the elephants out of the room. If it’s a modern game, deal with the gun. If it’s a freeform or story game, deal with challenge and duration. If it’s got player defined abilities, deal with specificity. Yes, D&D has elephants too, but you have to beat it, not tie it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Plutonis posted:

It's a wonderful game but I wonder if half the people in this forum defend it out of spite from most of the posts I see.

I defend it because I like it? And most of my bad experiences with the system were down to my initial group's lack of understanding about the system in it's early days?

I also like bits and bobs of 3.5.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serf posted:

i look forward to being a 4e grog in 20 years

Why wait?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People get hung up on 4e because it's really good, and everything that's come close since is either similarly flawed in some key areas, very niche, or both. And then it stings that its direct successor deliberately swerved away from its lessons learned.

I mean, hyphz calls it right that even 4e flubbed the "Sample Adventures" part of the game pretty badly, but the well-defined procedures-and-rules, the functional balance-right-out-of-the-bat, and the straightforwardness of the game would have made it perfect for organized play and for today's streaming culture*. While Irontooth was a bitch to fight, at the same time wouldn't it have been aces if we had a dozen different videos and stories and podcasts about how they dealt with Irontooth? Or if there was a Lair Assault tournament or marathon event?

____

* and to a degree, 4e really was pushing its generation's version of Critical Role pretty hard with Acquisitions Inc.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i suppose i could be a 4e grog in 10 years and a blades in the dark grog in 20

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

gradenko_2000 posted:

People get hung up on 4e because it's really good, and everything that's come close since is either similarly flawed in some key areas, very niche, or both. And then it stings that its direct successor deliberately swerved away from its lessons learned.

I mean, hyphz calls it right that even 4e flubbed the "Sample Adventures" part of the game pretty badly, but the well-defined procedures-and-rules, the functional balance-right-out-of-the-bat, and the straightforwardness of the game would have made it perfect for organized play and for today's streaming culture*. While Irontooth was a bitch to fight, at the same time wouldn't it have been aces if we had a dozen different videos and stories and podcasts about how they dealt with Irontooth? Or if there was a Lair Assault tournament or marathon event?

____

* and to a degree, 4e really was pushing its generation's version of Critical Role pretty hard with Acquisitions Inc.

That culture wasn't fully formed when 4e hit though, and what internet following was there was hugely wrapped up in 3.5 CharOp as an identity. It came too early, in a way--if 4e and 5e's places mechanically had been switched, it'd have worked and Paizo would still be a nothing brand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

It's not like people here don't readily acknowledge 4e's flaws, but a lot of the edition war rhetoric that sprung up around it is really dumb.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I love 4e to death and I do not believe for one second it would be perfect for today's streaming culture*. It's way too heavy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nihilarian posted:

I love 4e to death and I do not believe for one second it would be perfect for today's streaming culture*. It's way too heavy.

Harmonquest uses fuckin Pathfinder. Life finds a way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also it's probably an isolated occurrence but I know in at least one case a lot of the 4e detractors that RPGnet accumulated were doing so out of spite themselves, coming over to poo poo up the d20 forum from the RPGsite so they could get probated like a really stupid version of counting coup.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

Also it's probably an isolated occurrence but I know in at least one case a lot of the 4e detractors that RPGnet accumulated were doing so out of spite themselves, coming over to poo poo up the d20 forum from the RPGsite so they could get probated like a really stupid version of counting coup.

Kai, it's a long-established fact that the bannings were actually the result of our bias in favor of 4e. Or was it against 4e? I forget.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah and most streams use half of 5e and still get bogged down by rules

Like, there are still 4e streams, too. It's just not as popular

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
We have always been at war with eastasia other nerds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dan Harmon is a retard?????

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Has anyone ever tried making a game specifically with "this is good for streaming" in mind?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tendales posted:

Has anyone ever tried making a game specifically with "this is good for streaming" in mind?

Why would you? I can't imagine tabletop gaming as a performative art is terribly compelling, and focusing on that is kind of counter to the goal of the players actually having fun at the table.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tendales posted:

It was called "Whose Line Is It Anyway"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

outlier posted:

To be fair, many of them weren't just told, they did play it and then reacted badly. For lots of people, the rule-laden, exception-laden, encyclopedic money-pit that is classic AD&D is their favourite game.

Most of the people who jumped on the "4E = dumb MMO video game WoW for babbies" bandwagon were people who'd never played any edition of D&D other than 3.x, though. AD&D grogs had already refused to go to 3.x, and weren't involved in the 3.x > 4E transition.

WotC staff aside, obviously. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tendales posted:

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Liquid Communism posted:

Why would you? I can't imagine tabletop gaming as a performative art is terribly compelling, and focusing on that is kind of counter to the goal of the players actually having fun at the table.

Yea. I don't like the fact that streams are selling games, because they're not the experience you're going to have with your beginner mates without any microphones around. But apparently they are.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It seems like a natural evolution of streaming culture to me, tbh. Streaming is already about feeling like you're hanging out with a bud and shooting the poo poo over video games. Expanding that to goofy improv with your friends seems like a pretty clear extension, especially when its something that you, too, can do with a bit of charisma, imagination, and expensive rulebooks.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

remusclaw posted:

Third point five D&D sprang fully formed from the forehead of Gygax like Athena being birthed by Zeus. Didn't you know that?
I really want more people to understand how many nerds lost their minds and hated 3rd Edition when it came out. The internet wasn't quite as much a thing back then and 3E came out after TSR went out of business, but still. The discussions on RPGnet and Usenet were just as dumb, and involved a lot of the same complaints.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What about that power rangers game? Isn't it literally only a game for streaming?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, again, not saying "freeform with a character sheet" is bad in any way.

Also, another thing that tends to go ignored here is how much social media has changed and shaped how a lot of people interact with games. To go off my own previous mention: there are a lot of people who do their own weird RP tumblr accounts of their Fallen London character. I'm not even sure where that ranks - it's freeform, but it's also incredibly passive. What used to be just writing as fanfiction or even before that writing it to yourself, now you can make your weird Skyrim character or whatever a full drat social media account. And that's super rad!
I recently made two tumbler accounts for characters from a story I'd been trying to write, and I've been having them bantoring a bit, though I need to be less lazy and post more on them. I'd love to have other people eventually other people to interact with the accounts.

Starting a new tumblr account is actually a bit of a pain since you need to have an individual e-mail for each one.

I've seen some pretty great ones, like a dwarf fortress character, and the one for Ernst Blofeld (from the James Bond films) is pretty great.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Most of the people who jumped on the "4E = dumb MMO video game WoW for babbies" bandwagon were people who'd never played any edition of D&D other than 3.x, though. AD&D grogs had already refused to go to 3.x, and weren't involved in the 3.x > 4E transition.

WotC staff aside, obviously. :v:
3.5x actually was my original system, and while I have some nostalgia for it because it was my first, I think 4E is the superior system, because it's more MMO-like in how it's streamlined. I've played a little of 5E and it seems good too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They do? Do they ever say what system they used? I've only seen season 1. Whatever their using it's a weird home-brew since only the GM rolls, which I thought was weird, but I'm guessing it's because it's partially a live thing and they want to keep things moving quickly.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Mummy had a big rock that kept vampires out of Egypt, didn't it?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

counterspin posted:

Mummy had a big rock that kept vampires out of Egypt, didn't it?

Maybe in the oWoD? I mostly remember that there were some werewolves from Egypt who were kept out of the place, because of reasons.

Mummy: the Resurrection is its own weird thing, primarily because the mechanics were set up so that it wasn't actually possible to play outside the Middle East, but the game was deceptive about telling you this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mummy: The Curse essentially pretends vampires, and indeed, all non-mummy supernaturals, don't exist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I have better stuff to do than watch some dweeb stream himself playing RPGs without playing it myself and it pains me that people aren't smart enough to be on my level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Mummy: The Curse essentially pretends vampires, and indeed, all non-mummy supernaturals, don't exist.

To be fair, that's pretty much every WoD game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, most of them acknowledge that the other groups exist, allow at least some room for them, even if they don't assume they work the way the other games do.

Mummy straight up stops working properly as a setting if you assume there's other supernaturals around, sometimes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Mummy straight up stops working properly as a setting if you assume there's other supernaturals around, sometimes.

That's okay, it also falls apart if you assume there's more than one mummy in the group too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe in the oWoD? I mostly remember that there were some werewolves from Egypt who were kept out of the place, because of reasons.

Set laid down a curse and kept the Striders out, thanks to an ancient beef.

quote:

Mummy: the Resurrection is its own weird thing, primarily because the mechanics were set up so that it wasn't actually possible to play outside the Middle East, but the game was deceptive about telling you this.

I remember being told that the OTHER Mummy: The Ressurection book that came out explained a whole lot and made Mummy a better game, but I didn't really care by that point.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Did Mummy ever explore how people in victorian england used to eat bits of mummies as medicine? That's a hell of a plot hook, I'd steal it for a campaign or a few Hunter sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Did Mummy ever explore how people in victorian england used to eat bits of mummies as medicine? That's a hell of a plot hook, I'd steal it for a campaign or a few Hunter sessions.

...or grind them up to use as paint?

• Locked thread