Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Covok posted:

Now, I just want to play a Dragonborn Warlord who does Shouts by smoke signal.

Also, what make the best warlords?

Dragonborn make excellent Bravura Warlords, Genasi for Taclords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Are the Bowlords any good? I know there's a feat for it and it always struck me as interesting but I'm not sure if it's better than a lazylord or the meleelords.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They're not as good as Taclords or Bravelords, but they're perfectly playable. The warlord kit is so strong that it's hard to make a BAD one.

Personally, I prefer to use a throwing weapon as a Bowlord, though. Hungry Spear Greatspear, Farbond Spellblade, etc.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The warlord in my game has gotten a lot of use out of throwing a way-leader spear.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Points Of Light a good setting? This guy really tries to sell it as amazing.

The way he describes it, it was like finding out Dark Souls lore Before Dark Souls was a thing. He'd buy books just to get glimpses of it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I made a Strength-Wisdom ranged warlord on the spurious logic that a sling was a one-handed weapon so I could put a shield in the other. It kind of tosses out everything that everyone loves about the warlord and is not great, but still playable. Warlord is basically the strongest leader class in the game because of its focus on bonus attacks and group offense.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 6, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Covok posted:

The way he describes it, it was like finding out Dark Souls lore Before Dark Souls was a thing. He'd buy books just to get glimpses of it.

PoL was fantastic for my group because there was an actual sense of exploring the unknown instead of having every square inch of the map fully detailed to begin with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Points of Light is good in the sense that too many other settings detail a world that is so known and so stable that there's little room for actual conflict.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Points of Light is good in the sense that too many other settings detail a world that is so known and so stable that there's little room for actual conflict.

COUGHFORGOTTENREALMSCOUGH

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The 4E default setting was extremely good. I loved its metaphysical setup, and the overall thing was flexible enough to potentially include any specific detail someone might like from another setting (Sigil was canon, for instance, iirc) but was much simpler to describe and much easier to sprinkle with unexplored or inexplicable material.

Supernal vs. Primordial was a way cooler metaphysical ur-conflict than good vs. evil, and the difference between devils and demons in 4e was better-drawn AND better mechanically supported than anywhere else in D&D.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I loved its metaphysical setup

Yeah, the Dawn War stuff and primal spirits and all that were cool setting details. Also, extraplanar elves.

PoL was recognisably "a D&D setting" but also way more interesting than you would expect from something that appears to be generic D&D fantasy on the surface. It's a neat setting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are there any good whip based builds?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

S.J. posted:

Are there any good whip based builds?

Whips are bad.

Use a Spiked Chain, reflavour it as a whip, you get all the goodness without using whips, which are bad.

In particular, Lashing Flail (or a LIghtning Weapon and Mark of Storms), Dragging Flail, and Flail Expertise.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Whips are bad.

Use a Spiked Chain, reflavour it as a whip, you get all the goodness without using whips, which are bad.

In particular, Lashing Flail (or a LIghtning Weapon and Mark of Storms), Dragging Flail, and Flail Expertise.

Sick, that's all I needed to hear.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also note that Spiked Chain Proficiency should be all you need. THe multiclass is not good either. If you only want single handed weapons for whatever reason, the Alhulak from DSCS is the best one-handed FLail.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Also note that Spiked Chain Proficiency should be all you need. THe multiclass is not good either. If you only want single handed weapons for whatever reason, the Alhulak from DSCS is the best one-handed FLail.
The multiclass lets you use light blade feats with your chain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

The multiclass lets you use light blade feats with your chain.

It also uses your multiclass which is WAY better used for other things (like Battle Awareness), and Flails already have a great feat set, particularly if you're wanting a Whip user, which implies the intention to do control stuff.

The only time I'd even consider using the multiclass is on a Ranger.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I mean really I wanted to use a whip just to be able to attack from an extra square away but flails are sick, so I'm cool with a spiked chain build.

e: What is Battle Awareness? I don't see that in the CB anywhere.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Multiclass Fighter feat, requires WIS 14 IIRC. Possibly also STR 14?

It's been a LONG-rear end time.

Mechanically Whips and Spiked Chains are very similar, it's just that SPiked CHains have proficiency and damage worth a drat.

What's the build?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I would argue that there is absolutely value in taking the actual feat for some characters and/or classes. It's far more mechanically niche sure, but fits plenty of character archtypes without weakening you all that much, and there are gonna be times where it's the better option. That said, it is almost explicitly just for being able to dual wield light weapons with reach, or for style points.

Battle Awareness is a Fighter multiclass feat.

If you want to be a spiked chain fighter, there is one (absurd) (entirely unintentional to the rules) thing you can do with Arena Fighter, which is otherwise garbage, by taking Spiked Chain and Quarterstaff as your arena weapons and using Staff Expertise to increase the chain's range even more. Mix it with that one polearm paragon path that never actually mandates you use a polearm specifically to get actual use from your "I can hit anyone anywhere!" thing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The only Battle Awareness I'm seeing is a level 6 fighter utility power.

e: Nevermind, didn't have all the stats at the right level.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 8, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

S.J. posted:

The only Battle Awareness I'm seeing is a level 6 fighter utility power.

Make sure you have the pre-reqs:

quote:

Battle Awareness [Multiclass Fighter]

Prerequisite: Str 13, Wis 13

Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the fighter's class skill list.
Once per encounter, whenever an enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I had to load a different character to look at it, the build I was playing around on is a fighter :v:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The one time I ever played paper D&D (doing a roll20 now, ton of fun) I made a spiked chain dude that was going to trip guys and then abuse opportunity attacks when they were standing up (was 3.5). We were level 1 so I failed a strength check against an orc or something the first time I tried it and the Orc ran off and took my weapon at the end of the fight :(

I'm still salty about it

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Spiked chain MC can also do some interesting things for a rogue, though MC cost is still pretty strong. The only other weapon MCs I've seen use from are net and blowgun, though those are more about some specific niche uses. Pity about the garrote though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

I would argue that there is absolutely value in taking the actual feat for some characters and/or classes. It's far more mechanically niche sure, but fits plenty of character archtypes without weakening you all that much, and there are gonna be times where it's the better option. That said, it is almost explicitly just for being able to dual wield light weapons with reach, or for style points.

Battle Awareness is a Fighter multiclass feat.

If you want to be a spiked chain fighter, there is one (absurd) (entirely unintentional to the rules) thing you can do with Arena Fighter, which is otherwise garbage, by taking Spiked Chain and Quarterstaff as your arena weapons and using Staff Expertise to increase the chain's range even more. Mix it with that one polearm paragon path that never actually mandates you use a polearm specifically to get actual use from your "I can hit anyone anywhere!" thing.

Can also use Goliath's Stoneblessed to get a permanent reach increase and one round per encounter of threatening reach.

Also, Fighter mark punishment specifies adjacent targets and you don't have threatening reach, so there's not a lot you can really DO with that range. You can mark from range and not punish it, but there are easier and better ways to do that, like using a Deft Hurler Style with Cleave or whatnot. So it doesn't really bother me.

EDIT: Also, the whip does have a purpose. Warlord's Commander's Strike has a range of your melee reach, so a warlord can wield a whip without the proficiency to add +1 to their Commander's Strike range. Really only applicable to lazylords and definitely niche, but it is a use.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 8, 2018

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I don't have the text for Commander's Strike in front of me, but if that's an accurate paraphrase, that doesn't work the way you think it does because Melee Reach is not Melee Weapon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

___

___

From what I understand of these rules, the target of a Commander's Strike must be within the reach of the Warlord themselves, which means that a whip really would allow a Warlord to use Commander's Strike against a target that's 2 squares away.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Thank you, Gradenko.

I went to go look at Commander's Strike, and I had it hazily recalled/slightly conflated with Direct the Strike. My point was that per Rules Compendium page 100, a power with range Melee Touch is distinct from something with Melee Weapon.

But yeah, a reach weapon will let you use the power in question against a target from a greater distance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

COUGHFORGOTTENREALMSCOUGH

This has no resemblance to the Forgotten Realms at all. You are completely, categorically wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

This has no resemblance to the Forgotten Realms at all. You are completely, categorically wrong.

I wasn't saying that FR was like Points of Light in my coughing fit, no.

There's a reason they shook things up so completely in the 4e transition.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

Ooh, let me try! *ahem* KIBO!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Khizan posted:

Can also use Goliath's Stoneblessed to get a permanent reach increase and one round per encounter of threatening reach.

Also, Fighter mark punishment specifies adjacent targets and you don't have threatening reach, so there's not a lot you can really DO with that range. You can mark from range and not punish it, but there are easier and better ways to do that, like using a Deft Hurler Style with Cleave or whatnot. So it doesn't really bother me.

EDIT: Also, the whip does have a purpose. Warlord's Commander's Strike has a range of your melee reach, so a warlord can wield a whip without the proficiency to add +1 to their Commander's Strike range. Really only applicable to lazylords and definitely niche, but it is a use.

Polearm Master's level 16 feature is an immediate interrupt MBA when a guy within 2 squares shifts or attacks an ally without including you, meaning it expands your threat range as a fighter and also provides interesting options as a strength-based paladin. It is a very useful feature.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
It's real expensive, but the spiked chain multiclass feat has a utility-power-swap feat that gives you a daily threatening reach stance.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone have a good potrait orientation 4e DM screen? I'm looking for an insert for my customizable DM screen.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 9, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We did it, folks. We finished Zeitgeist, and our first 1-30 campaign. It's been running since mid-2014 and I'm keeping the next game small in scale because I really don't want to try to go head to head against its quality while it's still fresh in all of our minds. :)

I am however planning to run a sequel series!

MASSIVE ZEITGEIST ENDGAME ADVENTURE 13 SPOILERS:

After a while of figuring out the rules of the final ritual, and after taking out the Revolution zeppelin, the party made everything happen basically at once. The first key tonight was convincing Borne to back out of the conflict by revealing how Nicodemus arranged the death of Kasvarina's daughter. Rina was already completely on the party's side from Adventure 8, but this was the final straw. Most of the rest of the party finished up putting their desired planes into the various columns, and the Redemption and Completion endings hit simultaneously. William Miller (the one from Ascetia) possessed Nicodemus right before the party finished closing the seal. They let Kasvarina deal the finishing blow, and there was sunrise.

https://imgur.com/a/RhngI

The planar configuration they selected has the following features. They cheated and gave the world a 2nd moon, so two planes occupy Life - Av and Iratha Ket.

FIRE/JIESE - As before. Precision technology and industry all work okay. There are still guns and factories and steamships and railroads and so on.
AIR/CAELOON - A minor effect, but that world had a lot of nice origami monks. People are more resilient in the face of tragedy.
LIFE/AV (Moon #1) - As before. The world has two mirror images, in the Dreaming and Bleak Gate (Feywild/Shadowfell). Saved a bunch of friends and meant one of the party members is still a member of the court.
LIFE/IRATHA KET (Moon #2) - Basically a giant party, only skeletons. People have a tendency to break out into impromptu musical numbers.
WATER/MAVISHA - As before. Islands have secrets and conceal mysteries.
EARTH/DUNKELWEISS - Alcohol is good for you, exercise cures hangovers, and a night of carousing can heal you.
SPACE/APET - As before. The world is harder to get to for would-be extraplanar invaders.
TIME/ASCETIA - People have a long view of history and are keenly aware of the past.
DEATH/AMROU - Mundane counters are effective against supernatural beings. Salt can keep demons and spirits out, bells can drive away faeries, jade hurts aberrant creatures, and holy symbols are very effective.

I am looking forward to making a new campaign set, say, 75 or so years in the future. It will be more industrialized than everything is currently; Iratha Ket will add some fun, and I'm thinking there'll be some massive criminal organization that controls all the booze - it's such a benefit, now, that enterprising people may want to lock it down.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 11, 2018

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Great work! Lots of possible plot hooks for the sequel depending on how things shook out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LightWarden posted:

Great work! Lots of possible plot hooks for the sequel depending on how things shook out.
Oh yeah. There are a few big players still hanging around, too.

One player character is now a literal immortal of the fey court, another is a deva. Kasvarina is still around and immortal. Pemberton and his daughter will never die and got all the Borne pieces. Borne is in a smaller body. Eladrin are making a comeback. There's a new fey titan out in the wilderness. And yeah the party is literally worshipped as gods.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played in a campaign like that. Sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ButtWolf posted:

I've never played in a campaign like that. Sounds amazing.
I have honestly never run one that's so completely realized.

The main villain in particular is just ... really great.

He's a failed idealistic philosopher who wants to make the world a more rational, peaceful place, and is utterly convinced he's doing the right thing. He has convinced himself that any cost is justified. And the thing is, he might not be completely wrong. Of course, by the end he's so pissed off that he's ready to strip the populace of free will for a thousand years to teach them how to properly behave.