Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like what, were you expecting every page to be

"TRUMP PEES IN OWN MOUTH, REFUSES ALL OVER FLUIDS IN BELIEF HE CANNOT DIE AS LONG AS THE CYCLE REMAINS"

Put this on twitter as a fake excerpt and watch it get reposted thousands of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like what, were you expecting every page to be

"TRUMP PEES IN OWN MOUTH, REFUSES ALL OVER FLUIDS IN BELIEF HE CANNOT DIE AS LONG AS THE CYCLE REMAINS"

No, but I don't like owning books that become irrelevant in 3 years

e: let's be clear though, I'd pay for a tape of that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

Good god was this like 35 years ago?

11, why?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Some of us are still at work, post highlights pls.

The book is weirdly Bannon-centric and is a weird mix of adulation and subtle condemnation of him so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
this article owns

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/opinion/in-case-of-blizzard-do-nothing.html

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a tough day dudes. I lost an account today that I've been busting my rear end on for months, and they basically pointed at me as the reason we were losing it. Internally everyone knows it's not me, or at least not all me - it's just operationally we suck and our customer service department is less than great but I've never had an account point a finger at me and say "you're the reason we're leaving, you didn't do a good enough job". I take a lot of pride in my work and work my rear end off for my clients.

loving sucks.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm having a tough day dudes. I lost an account today that I've been busting my rear end on for months, and they basically pointed at me as the reason we were losing it. Internally everyone knows it's not me, or at least not all me - it's just operationally we suck and our customer service department is less than great but I've never had an account point a finger at me and say "you're the reason we're leaving, you didn't do a good enough job".

If you know it's not true then gently caress em. Sometimes you've just gotta not give a poo poo to get through the day. Plus, if everyone knows it wasn't you, you're gonna look like a rock star for not letting it effect you. Affect you? I dunno, I should learn the difference.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you know it's not true then gently caress em. Sometimes you've just gotta not give a poo poo to get through the day. Plus, if everyone knows it wasn't you, you're gonna look like a rock star for not letting it effect you. Affect you? I dunno, I should learn the difference.

Well yeah, outwardly I'm not letting it bother me but internally it's getting to me. I'll get over it eventually it's just not a good way to end the week.

effect

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm having a tough day dudes. I lost an account today that I've been busting my rear end on for months, and they basically pointed at me as the reason we were losing it. Internally everyone knows it's not me, or at least not all me - it's just operationally we suck and our customer service department is less than great but I've never had an account point a finger at me and say "you're the reason we're leaving, you didn't do a good enough job". I take a lot of pride in my work and work my rear end off for my clients.

loving sucks.

If you truly believe you had ZERO to do with it, oh well. Sometimes this happens. Don’t worry too much about it, and definitely don’t let it effect your other work product

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"quotidian American crudscape" is my new band name

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At one of my first major jobs, we got an account where the client asked us to go through a fuckton of hoops, to the point where we had to internally change our IT systems to comply. One employee (who in the previous month won employee of the month) completely hosed up on one of their projects (he lied about what was on his reports), and while we came forward and were transparent about what happened and gave them a refund for that project, the damage had been done. Some clients are dicks, and will blow you off for things that aren't in your control.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My snowblower decided to crap out today which was unfortunate.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

loving sucks.

loving sucks indeed. Ending the week on a low week always sucks. You'll learn from it and do what you can, but it probably won't be the last time a client pulls this poo poo so enjoy that you had a presumed long run before it finally happened.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Woo, workout time!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I brought mine from Wisconsin almost 3 years ago when I moved back to KC. I still haven't even put oil in it.

thanks

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

seiferguy posted:

At one of my first major jobs, we got an account where the client asked us to go through a fuckton of hoops, to the point where we had to internally change our IT systems to comply. One employee (who in the previous month won employee of the month) completely hosed up on one of their projects (he lied about what was on his reports), and while we came forward and were transparent about what happened and gave them a refund for that project, the damage had been done. Some clients are dicks, and will blow you off for things that aren't in your control.

I have a government contractor who has given me a list of 150+ line items. Almost everything without exception is obsolete or grey market.

They want 5 year pricing tiers without giving us a forecast or guarantee to order.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Joey I’ve been riding a high from crushing it the past month and handling so many last second things only to get completely blasted because i didn’t follow ONE redundant policy, which is now all people think about, so i feel you about it.

Sadly it’s the joy of working for others. Opinion matters.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Effect is to make something happen, making it (e)nd, "Effect change," etc. Affect is to influence something, (a)dd on, but it won't create an outcome. So affect.

The Language Bore has logged on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably Magic and Joey Freshwater must now fight to the death

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Iffect is the term for when you're not sure if something affected something else.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh wait effect is a verb too. It's me I'm the idiot

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

piss tape israel posted:

Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun.

This is how i was taught it and boy howdy was it wrong as I’ve learned.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It raining is the affect, you being wet is the effect

Someone calling me poo poo is the affect, me taking it hard is the effect.

In other news my Anova just came so I’m happy again. Gonna get the meat sweats tonight.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Affect in german is beeinflussen
Effect is bewirken as a verb or de effekt as a noun

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Amy Pole Her posted:

This is how i was taught it and boy howdy was it wrong as I’ve learned.

Effect is used as a verb very rarely, so it's one of those cheap schooling tricks like "i before e except after c" and poo poo like that.

What fucks me up is lay and lie in past tenses and which to use and blah blah blah, I can never get it right.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Joey Freshwater posted:

It raining is the affect, you being wet is the effect

Someone calling me poo poo is the affect, me taking it hard is the effect.

In other news my Anova just came so I’m happy again. Gonna get the meat sweats tonight.

Make steak. Sous vide steak is loving perfection every time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, this excerpt is good:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Make steak. Sous vide steak is loving perfection every time

About to head to the store to get stuff. You know poo poo is about to get real when the suggested recipe includes "Step 2: Turn on your vents and open your windows"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

loving sucks.

My advice might make me seem like a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but its the only thing that helped me get over this kind of stuff quickly. Take 15/20 minutes and write down everything and anything you could have done better or improved upon in your dealings with the account. Did you lose focus at a time when greater attention to detail was warranted? Did you fail to follow something through when another dept was supposed to take over and ensure they did their job (even if its not in your job description)? Stuff like that - you don't need to show it to anyone or let it go beyond the page. Once you're done write a line or two about how you could have done better, then screw up the paper and throw it in the bin. If you can find anywhere you hosed up, even just a little - it can help, at least I find, by giving you something to pay greater attention to in the future.

I find that if I can find somewhere I contributed to something falling down and find a way to minimise the chances of it happening in the future rather than it playing on my mind I find it a lot easier to move on.

The other benefit it gives is that if it's ever brought up at a performance review you can talk honestly that you re-assessed your processes and found room for improvement (I have since implemented strategies blah blah blah) that management types get their dicks hard for. It certainly comes off better than if all you have to say is "but they didn't do X".

The process of writing it down and throwing the paper out is a good mental exercise for compartmentalizing which can be really helpful for poo poo that causes you to lie awake at night about. Knowing you've done all you can to deal with what happened and with what you'll do in the future is a pretty powerful thing.

or I dunno - get shitfaced and don't sweat it.

Also for blowers buy Stihl their products are loving amazing. You might spend a little more but god is it worth it.

Speaking of which I pulled the trigger on buying a fancy gaming chair. I got a bonus at work that was way bigger than I expected and my company let me expense it (since it's technically office equipment) and took it out of my pre-tax income saving me a big hit from the tax man. I bought from a local manufacturer - cost a little more than some of the ones built over seas but I'd rather spend my money locally and support small business. Holy poo poo is it worth it. This thing weighs like 26kg (58ish lbs) and was a oval office to put together but the lumbar support is truly outstanding. It's firm and rigid but still comfortable, like a hug from a well muscled kindly man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

About to head to the store to get stuff. You know poo poo is about to get real when the suggested recipe includes "Step 2: Turn on your vents and open your windows"

Get as thick of a steak as you want, there isn't any "oh the outside cooks too fast and the middle isn't done enough" anymore.

I mean there were ways around that anyway if you knew what you were doing and I've appreciated it more with other foods more than steak, but it's now impossible to gently caress up.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I want to marry my anova I love it so much. I haven't overcooked a steak or salmon in 2+ years

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This book is trash but it loving owns

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

This book is trash but it loving owns

It's true though. All of it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Spoeank posted:

I want to marry my anova I love it so much. I haven't overcooked a steak or salmon in 2+ years

Amen brother. It's loving magic.

I've also used mine to temper chocolate because it works perfectly EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Kalli posted:

Okay, this excerpt is good:

I love this book.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's true though. All of it.

Oh yeah

It’s just written like a tabloid

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

The key to a good sear on a sous vide steak is patting it dry before searing. Don't skip or half as this step. I think you said you got a torch, but if you go skillet route, get it smoking hot, with putting it in an oven at 500 degrees for half an hour being the best way.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

The key to a good sear on a sous vide steak is patting it dry before searing. Don't skip or half as this step. I think you said you got a torch, but if you go skillet route, get it smoking hot, with putting it in an oven at 500 degrees for half an hour being the best way.

This is good advice. I've also found if you sous vide a bunch at once the ones that come out of the fridge and get seared are a little better because the inside is just warm by the time the outside sears.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Should I even bother if I eat my steaks on the blue side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh yeah

It’s just written like a tabloid

well sure, Wolff’s entire career has been covering the media industry. wasn’t his initial connection with Trump through the Hollywood Reporter?