Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Speaking of Nightmares Underneath, I've been making a few monsters of my own for an alternative (if a big more normal and boring) setting. It's mostly an excuse to do something with some of my artwork that is sitting around, but they mioght be of use to someone running TNU, or they can probably be converted to a different retroclone easily enough.

Last one spoiled for being NSFW

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 24, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know if there is a quick reference for Darker Dungeons (Not Dark Dungeons, Darker Dungeons)? Plan on making inserts for my custom GM screen and running it live.

Also, why has Darker Dungeons vanished off the face of the internet? I can only find it on for 4plebs now, 4chan's download site. Good thing I have a physical copy from Lulu.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 1, 2018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Blacky the Blackball didn't like the job he did of the layout, IIRC, and considered it more of a rules hack for Dark Dungeons/BECMI than anything else.

It's also one of my favorite ways to play basic, so I was bummed when he pulled it. If you need access to it, though, I think he still gives it out on request.

You can still get the hardcopy on Lulu.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-hardback/hardcover/product-17969355.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-softcover/paperback/product-18744017.html

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LeSquide posted:

Blacky the Blackball didn't like the job he did of the layout, IIRC, and considered it more of a rules hack for Dark Dungeons/BECMI than anything else.

It's also one of my favorite ways to play basic, so I was bummed when he pulled it. If you need access to it, though, I think he still gives it out on request.

You can still get the hardcopy on Lulu.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-hardback/hardcover/product-17969355.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-softcover/paperback/product-18744017.html

Oh, I still got my pdf and physical copy. I'm surprised he didn't like it. Sure, the art stinks and there is like 3 places he forgot to update from Dark Dungeons to Darker Dungeons, but it really is a marked improvement over BECMI. It's everything good about BECMI but with A MUCH BETTER basic resolution system and, you know, uses a simple resolution system for almost everything without losing what makes BECMI work. The only major downside is AC is still negative bonuses and positive penalties. So odd to me, personally, that he'd consider it a failure so bad he'd need to hide it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's a good OSR setting? Trying to set up an IRL Darker Dungeons game. Can't think of what setting to use. What do y'all like? Thinking just pretty general fantasy and I'll let skyships let us go to more fun worlds later.

Also, how do you get an IRL group together if you know only one player IRL and no one else who likes games or anyone else in the area who does or even a place to look?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

The only major downside is AC is still negative bonuses and positive penalties.

Nope.

Darker Dungeons uses "Target 20". As per page 128:

quote:

To determine if an attack hits, take the total bonus and add a roll of 1d20 to it. As with any other check, if the total of the bonus plus roll is greater than or equal to 20, then the attack hits; otherwise it misses.

However, attack rolls have a couple of differences from normal checks:

• Rolling a 1 on the d20 before modifiers (called a “natural 1”) is always a miss, regardless whether the total is greater than 20 or not.

• Rolling a 20 on the d20 before modifiers (called a “natural 20”) is always a hit regardless whether the total is greater than 20 or not.

• If the bonus for the check is already greater than 20 before adding the d20 roll, the attack will do extra damage if it hits. Each two points (round odd points up) that the to-hit value exceeds 20 by means that the attack will do 1 extra point of damage.

Example: A 3rd level fighter has a base attack bonus of +2, and has a +3 bonus to hit from various sources. They are attacking a target that is armour class 6. Therefore the fighter’s to-hit value is 2+3+6 = 11. If the fighter rolls 8 or less on their to-hit roll they will miss their target since 11+8 is less than the 20 that they need. If the fighter rolls 9 or higher on their to-hit roll they will hit their target since 11+9=20.

AC values are still descending/lower-is-better, but:

* all to-hit bonuses are more intuitively expressed as positive numbers/addends
* all to-hit penalties are more intuitively expressed as negative numbers/subtrahends
* higher rolls are still better

Covok
May 27, 2013

That's what I mean: AC bonuses are negative (subtract your Dex mod, for example, to determine your AC) and penalties are positive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

That's what I mean: AC bonuses are negative (subtract your Dex mod, for example, to determine your AC) and penalties are positive.

Gee you'd think I'd save myself a lot of time if I had just read your post closely enough!

I'm very sorry.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

What's a good OSR setting? Trying to set up an IRL Darker Dungeons game. Can't think of what setting to use. What do y'all like? Thinking just pretty general fantasy and I'll let skyships let us go to more fun worlds later.

Also, how do you get an IRL group together if you know only one player IRL and no one else who likes games or anyone else in the area who does or even a place to look?

Yoon-Suin is a pretty good one

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Covok posted:

Hot Springs Island, Yoon-Suin, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Perdition, Hubris, Veins of the Earth are all considered p. good.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Megazver posted:

Hot Springs Island, Yoon-Suin, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Perdition, Hubris, Veins of the Earth are all considered p. good.

Maze is less a setting than a dungeon. It could fit in any setting, your characters just need to stumble through a painting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I'm gonna throw in a recommendation for "The Smoking Pillar of Lan Yu". It's set in Crawford's "Red Tide" campaign setting, which is heavily Asian-influenced.

It's free, which is cool and good and important if you're cheap and are only looking for a basic outline, and if you like it, then the full Red Tide book is right there.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Covok posted:

gently caress the "R", use something actually old. Mystara has general fantasy of whatever flavor you like, somewhere, including skyships and fantasy nukes and a website full of everything you never wanted to know.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, Stars Without Number 2e is out!
In preparation for an upcoming game, I've been working on some material for it. Eventually it'll probably include some more Foci, an Adept class, and some more space magic stuff on the player facing side, but first I wanted to tackle player character cyborgs.
The setting I’m working on now is designed to have cybernetic augmentation be fairly common, and full-conversion cyborgs present across most of sector space. I want these characters to be available for PCs from the getgo.
While deluxe SWN does a fine job providing cybernetics as an option for well-heeled characters and a variety of mechanical bodies for transhumans and AI, both those present some problems if I were to port them directly.
If a player wants to play Briareos, I don’t want them to have to wait to suffer a traumatic accident in four levels when they’ve saved up enough money, and if someone wants to play Cobra, I don’t want them just chomping at the bit to cut off their own arm once they have enough money to get a prosthetic limb and body arsenal array. In a lot of the sci-fi I’m drawing from, being a cyborg is a major character defining trait, rather than something one picks up when they have enough cash.
The shell and armature rules generally assume a level of body-swapability I’m not looking for here, as well as drastically changing the assumptions for how a character’s stats would look compared to one who used the normal array (my preferred method of SWN character creation), so I’m hesitant to adapt those wholesale.
So, instead I’m going to try and use an Origin Focus to enable the sort of characters I’m envisioning. I’ve decided to go with two levels enable characters like Adam Jensen or Glory on one level, and characters like Briareos, Raiden, or even Major Kusanagi on another.

Cyborg
Whether by choice or by fortune, you’ve enhanced your body and abilities with cybernetic enhancements. They may be the result of military service, experimental installations, or self-experimentation, but they’re yours now. Through your contacts, you can keep yourself on the cutting edge of cybernetic technology.

Level 1: Chromed up. You can take half your level of System Strain in cybernetic systems without additional monetary cost, rounded up. When you gain more points of cybernetic available after leveling up, any downtime in a culture with sufficient technology and resources allows you to gain your new upgrades. During this time, you may also replace existing systems with their equivalent in System Strain if you so choose. You may choose to take any number of prosthetic limbs or purely aesthetic modifications at character creation for free, without counting against your points of “free” cybernetics.

Level 2: Full Conversion. Your body has been almost entirely replaced by a cybernetic shell, leaving only a few select organic components keeping your brain alive. Your nearly-closed biological system requires food and water only once a week, and can survive with your internal air supply even in a total vacuum for up to eight hours.
Your cybernetic shell can be healed with spare parts and the work of someone with Fix-0 skill. You can even without the requisite skill. Each unit of spare parts heals lost hit points equal to your character level and takes fifteen minutes to apply. If your body is reduced to 0 hit points, your brain can survive to be rescued for up to eight hours, though any deliberate attack targeting your organic parts after your body is disabled will mortally wound you. Full Conversion Cyborgs cannot normally be affected by biopsionic healing effects that restore hit points; any trauma that successfully affects their remaining organic systems is almost always enough to kill them, though biopsionic powers can stabilize them.
Your hitpoints and maximum System Strain remain the same. If your appearance is obviously inhuman and cybernetic but don’t have any cybernetic systems increasing your defenses, your AC starts at 13 but does not stack with armor. If you have a covert appearance unidentifiable from human, your AC starts at 10.

Any thoughts?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Covok posted:

Red Tide by Kevin Crawford is a pretty neat pseudo-China with a pastiche of other fantasy counterpart cultures who retreated to an island due to a world-devouring demon-mist which took over much of the rest of the setting.

There's also the Northlands Saga, which is an adventure path in a Dark Ages Viking era world. But the book alone has enough material for its own standalone setting. It's pretty good and derives a lot of Scandinavian cultural tropes beyond just Hollywood tropes, like the concept of kennings in poetry, weregilds, the social structures of pseudo-democratic Things, etc. A fair warning is that it is published by Frog God Games, whose CEO was in the middle of that PaizoCon harassment drama.

The Nightmares Underneath is a pseudo-Arabian setting in a kingdom which is undergoing an age of innovation and prosperity on the surface. But nightmarish realms from beyond reality are popping up as cancerous dungeons across the land, and the PCs are one of the few souls capable of visiting those realms for extended periods without suffering its taint (that does not make them immune to the myriad other dangers, however). It is higher magic than other settings, in that the scholarly class and many priests possess knowledge of spells, and there's a pseudo pagan/Islam metaphor in that there are many cults who worship forgotten entities who may or may not be connected with the nightmare realms.

And although I have not read it much, Dreams of Ruin is less a setting in its own right and more a high-level planes-hopping sapient forest meant as an "end game" scenario.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally while I do think Red Tides is a good setting, I also think it's a terrible fit for D&D style systems, would be much more at home as a Runequest setting

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's something about Red Tide, unlike Godbound, which completely fails to grab me on every level. It's just so... dry and joyless. Also, Crawford is way more enamored with, how do I put it, the East Asian aesthetic than I am. I feel it even bleeds into Godbound, with the Court generators, for instance, kinda being Asian-y and the only two released adventures being pretty much full-on UNF CHINA UNF I LOVE CHINA with some lip service to "uh you can run it in the other areas I guess". At this point, I am a little surprised he did Ancalia instead of Dulimbai as the one released setting book.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Here’s another existential D&D question for you, presented with as little biasing as possible.
Why is cleric a class option?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Here’s another existential D&D question for you, presented with as little biasing as possible.

For the sake of countering another player's Vampire character from what I heard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Almost everything in D&D can be attributed to an early design quirk that got cemented into the game through inertia and appeal to tradition.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

whydirt posted:

Almost everything in D&D can be attributed to an early design quirk that got cemented into the game through inertia and appeal to tradition.

See: Polearms

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

remusclaw posted:

For the sake of countering another player's Vampire character from what I heard.

A pity things like Vampire and Balor characters didn't really continue on to later editions, unlike the Cleric.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Going back to interesting OSR settings, the Midgard Campaign Setting has a Swords & Wizardry conversion planned for its Kickstarter.

For those not in the know, Midgard is a bit of a dark fairy tale setting with quite a bit of high power and high magic. For example, the world is flat disc surrounded by the coils of a dragon-god and whose blood flows through the world akin to ley lines. It also has quite a bit of animal people and more fantastic races, like kobolds, minotaurs, centaurs, and ravenfolk among others so I'd be interested in seeing how they translate to the mostly humanocentric aesthetics of OSR D&D; the most powerful empire in the setting is populated by the scaly races who are ruled by dragons. It also had a pretty cool pseudo-Arabia/Africa continent called the Southlands: Midgard's main creator was one of al-Qadim's writers, so there's a bit of influence in that vein, too.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2018

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Dumb question - how does osr licensing work? They're all more or less Basic D&D, right?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What’s wrong with the cleric? It fits much better than the Druid which was stripped of all politics in later editions and just became nature priest.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Dumb question - how does osr licensing work? They're all more or less Basic D&D, right?

OSR isn’t a license, that’s OGL which specifies you can use certain terms and passages provided you include the license. Most people modify the license to include what is “open” and what is intellectual property. For example last time I checked Swords and Wizardry let you copy the monster entries but you had to include their alternate attack and armor modifiers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DalaranJ posted:

While it’s origin is an opposite of a vampire, clerics work as a magic-user/fighter hybrid with more support-oriented abilities, filling a niche pretty well.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

A pity things like Vampire and Balor characters didn't really continue on to later editions, unlike the Cleric.
4e got that Vampire Class.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of idiosyncratic stuff that stuck in D&D. Which I can't fault them for too much.

al-azad posted:

What’s wrong with the cleric? It fits much better than the Druid which was stripped of all politics in later editions and just became nature priest.

In the first group of three or four classes Cleric stands out (to me at least) as the one that makes me say 'What is this doing here?'
In the later group of six classes it's definitely Monk that makes little to no sense.

As for Druid, if we take Cleric as Generic Medieval Character Type #2 then I think that Druid makes fine sense as Generic Medieval Character Type #5, especially in the Arthurian sense. Where it falls down is that Druid is basically just a Cleric variant that slapped being a bear right over scaring zombies, and there should be any need variants in a game with only six classes.

What? Thief-Acrobat?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

While it’s origin is an opposite of a vampire, clerics work as a magic-user/fighter hybrid with more support-oriented abilities, filling a niche pretty well.

I agree this is true. But I think that the thematic contribution of the cleric is even more important that that.

This is a thing that I just thought up today, and once you realize that it immediately stops working after the first four classes you can see that it is a retroactive explanation of reasoning for classes, but I still think it bears out at the very beginning of D&D even though it wasn't intentionally designed this way.
Each class tells us something important about what D&D is about as a game.

The fighter tells us that D&D is about killing, or more generously, about war.
The wizard tells us that D&D is a game about fantasy and magic.
The thief tells us that D&D is a game about 'getting paid', or that it is picaresque in nature.
The cleric then, tells us that D&D is about more than that. It's about character beliefs and ethics, and sometimes it can be about the struggle between gods, or between people and the gods.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a really videogamey interpretation of it, but I like the idea of the Druid as a switch-hitter depending on his current shapeshifted form.

_____

On a somewhat separate point, there's a bunch of classes in D&D that are really only different "how?" interpretations of being a Fightymans. The Monk and the Barbarian are examples of this.

The Paladin and the Ranger are kinda examples of this, but I'm also setting them apart because there's a mechanical merit to classes that split the difference between being a full Fightymans and being a full caster.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 8, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of idiosyncratic stuff that stuck in D&D. Which I can't fault them for too much.

In the first group of three or four classes Cleric stands out (to me at least) as the one that makes me say 'What is this doing here?'
In the later group of six classes it's definitely Monk that makes little to no sense.

As for Druid, if we take Cleric as Generic Medieval Character Type #2 then I think that Druid makes fine sense as Generic Medieval Character Type #5, especially in the Arthurian sense. Where it falls down is that Druid is basically just a Cleric variant that slapped being a bear right over scaring zombies, and there should be any need variants in a game with only six classes.

What? Thief-Acrobat?

I agree this is true. But I think that the thematic contribution of the cleric is even more important that that.

This is a thing that I just thought up today, and once you realize that it immediately stops working after the first four classes you can see that it is a retroactive explanation of reasoning for classes, but I still think it bears out at the very beginning of D&D even though it wasn't intentionally designed this way.
Each class tells us something important about what D&D is about as a game.

The fighter tells us that D&D is about killing, or more generously, about war.
The wizard tells us that D&D is a game about fantasy and magic.
The thief tells us that D&D is a game about 'getting paid', or that it is picaresque in nature.
The cleric then, tells us that D&D is about more than that. It's about character beliefs and ethics, and sometimes it can be about the struggle between gods, or between people and the gods.

Amusingly, the thief was the last core class added to the game, in the first official supplement, Greyhawk. Their entire niche was taking things that characters were assumed capable of doing already and making it their shtick to the exclusion of everyone else.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 8, 2018

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So I was reading old Prince Valiant comics awhile ago and noticed something that I haven't seen noted elsewhere. In a storyline from 1940 Prince Valiant runs into a giant who briefly menaces him before Val realizes he's a misunderstood human oddity and befriends him. The giant's first appearance is here:

Which brings to mind how the D&D Stone Giant has been drawn since first AD&D monster manual:

which actually matches up fairly well with the first head shot of the giant in Prince Valiant:

Later editions seemed to keep the weird proportions of the head, but not much else:

Later editions mostly keep the distinctive head but go off in different direction with the body. None of the editions match the Valiant giant in that he was basically an oversized normal human and wore clothes and armor into combat.

I should note, not much in the text of the AD&D stone giant bears any similarity to the giant in Prince Valiant. Two things might possibly be similar - one is that the giant in Prince Valiant was a lover of animals, while AD&D Stone Giants have an affinity for cave bears. That seems like a coincidence, though. The second is that the stone giant is grey and their skin blends in with the mountains around it, which seems similar to the first picture the Valiant giant appears in. He never again appears quite as grey later, though, and it's probably a coincidence once again.

I just find it interesting that the artist was likely thinking of that first image when he put the D&D stone giant to paper. I'm sure someone on Dragonsfoot or another old school haven has found this already but I haven't seen it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To me the cleric, prior to the focus on deities and their domains, represents superstition. Turning the undead, blessing and laying on hands, and wielding "bloodless" blunt weapons. They were vampire hunting warriors first, the move to magic tanks with strict adherence to their deity came later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DalaranJ posted:

As near as I can tell, the Monk was invented entirely because the people involved thought it was funny. Which is all well and good; this is a game, after all! But the monk has been a gimmick in search of an actual mechanical niche for most of its existence, while the cleric found its niche rather quickly.

The monk highlights what might be my least favourite thing about old-school D&D: weapon & armor proficiency as part of the foundation of the combat rules locks it into a very narrow set of genre assumptions. How do y'all run, like, John Carter or swashbuckling pirates in OSR?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

The monk highlights what might be my least favourite thing about old-school D&D: weapon & armor proficiency as part of the foundation of the combat rules locks it into a very narrow set of genre assumptions. How do y'all run, like, John Carter or swashbuckling pirates in OSR?

Uh ... not enforce them? Weapon and armor proficiencies aren't a thing in OD&D / BECMI.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

EverettLO posted:

So I was reading old Prince Valiant comics awhile ago and noticed something that I haven't seen noted elsewhere.

Oh, that remind me, I think the Prince Valiant Storytelling game remake is probably coming out pretty soon.

al-azad posted:

To me the cleric, prior to the focus on deities and their domains, represents superstition. Turning the undead, blessing and laying on hands, and wielding "bloodless" blunt weapons. They were vampire hunting warriors first, the move to magic tanks with strict adherence to their deity came later.

Oh, yes, excellent thought. This meshes well with the underground otherworld of OD&D.

I think this idea will help me out, thanks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uh ... not enforce them? Weapon and armor proficiencies aren't a thing in OD&D / BECMI.

I think one part of this is that armor is the only way for close combat, which doesn’t match so well with swords and sorcery. Things are so dangerous that you need that AC as high low as possible. I’d be interested in seeing an alternate rule that could help out with this, maybe class based ACs?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The original 1989 Prince Valiant game from Chaosium used coin flips for its combat and skills system.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The original Trollbabes.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

OtspIII posted:

Alright, I've decided to try something new. For the last few years I've mostly just been running my megadungeon "Palace of the Sun King" for people, and I'm at the point where I want to use what I learned from it for something new. I have a pretty hard time getting a regular group together (pretty much nobody I know has a reliable schedule, so hitting a rhythm is real hard), so the vast majority of the running I do is for first-time groups--one of the schools I teach at has a Games 101 course where one of the recitations is to play D&D, so I get to do a ton of running people who have never played the game before through the basics. This means that I've had a ton of people running through the same basic starting areas of the dungeon, and doing a bunch of communicating with each other via written messages on doors/running into signs of what previous groups got into/etc. I want to make a dungeon that's built explicitly around that sort of asynchronous inter-group contact! Also if I can find a way to make restocking make more sense it'd make this style of play way easier.

So tonight I'm running my first session of Temple of the New Gods. The backstory is that some miners were digging and found a strange divine diamond, which offered godhood to the miner who picked it up. The miner accidentally accepted and became the first god (Arthur, God of Pranks) in a new pantheon, and suddenly the mine itself starts twisting in shape, with strange priest-monsters spawning to guard from intruders and wondrous treasures springing up from the dreams of the new god. Another miner escapes and spreads word of what happened to a nearby village.

Basically, there's a mysterious diamond hidden somewhere in the dungeon, and every time the PCs find it one becomes a god and the dungeon grows a new wing/new types of monsters/etc in their honor. The megadungeon starts out at a mere 20 rooms, but can grow organically as people play more--which also means I have less of that awful feeling of having made hundreds of rooms of dungeon but only ever had people interact with, like, 10% of them. Everything in the dungeon, barring the original setup, is also meant to be kind of directly drawn from player action and inputs--the personality and history of each new god will have a big impact on how their areas are designed, and restocking rooms is going to be very responsive to what the players did to unstock them in the past, so you should be able to get a glimpse of other groups styles' even if you never interact with them directly.

But also I'm just kind of going hard into dungeon features that give people glimpses of each other. Dead players come back to life as monsters. Monsters you interact with but don't kill evolve over time based off the interactions you had with them. There's a hall of paintings showing things that have happened in the dungeon. There's a skull in the wall that tells you who the last person was to die in the dungeon and how they died. I'm making sure to list paint as a default piece of adventuring gear so players can write messages for each other.

And then the world itself is just going to be super low-power outside of the dungeon. No spells even exist past the first level, but there are NPCs in the dungeon inventing new ones and leaving their formula laying around as treasure. There are basically no magic items outside the dungeon, so retrieving the weird magic tools that spawn in the dungeon becomes the big treasure focus. Less gold coins and more magic plates that keep food placed on them forever fresh and warm, where the items are mostly just meant to be sold but if the players can find a use for them that's even better. XP is going to come from spending money, so the goal is to let the PCs be real big movers and shakers in the outside world and sort of shape/build the non-dungeon parts of the game with their spending habits. I'm going to ask players to start rumors about what they saw in the dungeon at the end of each session, so that I can have a big player-made rumor table I can use to seed adventure ideas to new teams with, and probably do a bunch of stuff like giving new groups map-fragments from groups that got further than them to keep things interesting.

I don't really know how this is going to go! It seems a little ambitious, but I'm super excited by the prospect. Anyone else have any ideas for other mechanics/habits I can do to reinforce that whole "different groups of players shaping the same space" feel I'm going for?

I've run two sessions of this setting (and another scheduled for later this week), and it's been going really well, so I figured I'd start an online campaign journal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

OtspIII posted:

I've run two sessions of this setting (and another scheduled for later this week), and it's been going really well, so I figured I'd start an online campaign journal!

This sounded really cool, I just had nothing to contribute so didn't respond before. Looking forward to reading how it's going!

• Locked thread