Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

This kind of tour isn't to bring in the participation fee, which barely covers the costs of arranging this. The point of the fee is to weed out backers who don't have open wallets. The point of the tour is to get them to spend more - it's a way to build confidence, create a feeling of belonging to a special inner circle, talk to high-spending backers about what they want, etc. I've seen the exact same kind of thing in the financial sector. Brokers, hedge funds, wealth managers, etc. do these events on a regular basis.

It does not reek of desperation, but is a tried and true way to increase revenue by activating existing clients and bringing new clients into an environment ideal for trying to turn them into loyal big-spenders. I would be surprised if they didn't have special deals for them on-site. If they're ruthless enough they can even use aggressive sales techniques during such an event.

Were it one of my friends or relatives going to such an event - unless they were confident, strong-willed and difficult to manipulate (which are not common traits among space sim nerds) I'd do my very best to talk them out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

May the court record reflect that Don the Dapper has unequivocally called it.

Noted in the space court records.

Dusty Lens posted:

If this was an 80s movie there'd be a post courtroom scene where Chris and Sandi go to retrieve the ten million in bearer bonds they had hidden in a duffel bag held in Ben's name at a subway station somewhere... But it's been replaced with a 15,000 page script for Star Citizen!???

Then a quick cut to Lesnick and the missus cutting the ribbon on the new Wing Commander museum in Argentina.

The 'ol boys at Crytek shout that they can't believe the madman did it before piling into a jeep to chase the next big wave.

:five:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CIG shifting their business model to going after big spenders could be a real game changer.

Pretend I made this post back in 2012 or something.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

It looks like Cryengine 3 has a royalty scheme of 20% revenue. If that's what CIG avoided paying by signing the GLA that they broke then this is gonna be pretty funny.

Even trying to settle out of court for "just pay us what you should have paid had you not signed the contract" would probably bust them.

As someone who has a copy of the standard GLA for CryEngine, I can tell you that back in 2012 when they did the custom version with RSI/CIG, it was way - way - more expensive than that. This is also the reason why Crytek has been stressing how much they gave them a break on the price etc.

Also remember that back in 2012, nobody knew they would raise $3M, let alone $175M +6 yrs later.

Basically, IF they did in fact breach the GLA, all RSI/CIG did is give Crytek the chance to capitalize on their windfall.

And regardless of the engine pricing, IP infringement is a "company killer". It doesn't matter if the license was $5M. You could get triple damages allowable by law and whole litany of other financial poo poo that would KILL any company. Why do you think companies spend SO MUCH MONEY fighting IP infringement suits? And in the case of patent trolls, sometimes it's cheaper to just pay than litigate.

Believe me when I tell you this, as I've said for some time now, even if they settle, RSI/CIG are hosed. They're just "dead company walking" now.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

XK posted:

Propofol is reversible, so they can put you under, then when they're done, they give you another shot and you wake up.

The passing gas thing is actually the most uncomfortable part of the procedure, because they inflate you with gas for the procedure. Then you feel like you're going to uncontrollably explode all over the place when they're done.

I'm pretty confident the anesthesia during colonoscopies is more for the awkwardness of the experience rather than any actual pain.

It’s also very short acting. We typically don’t reverse it unless there is a specific indication. Most anesthesia isn’t reversed so much as it’s just turned off as long as there’s no significant events requiring reversal.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

PederP posted:

This kind of tour isn't to bring in the participation fee, which barely covers the costs of arranging this. The point of the fee is to weed out backers who don't have open wallets. The point of the tour is to get them to spend more - it's a way to build confidence, create a feeling of belonging to a special inner circle, talk to high-spending backers about what they want, etc. I've seen the exact same kind of thing in the financial sector. Brokers, hedge funds, wealth managers, etc. do these events on a regular basis.

It does not reek of desperation, but is a tried and true way to increase revenue by activating existing clients and bringing new clients into an environment ideal for trying to turn them into loyal big-spenders. I would be surprised if they didn't have special deals for them on-site. If they're ruthless enough they can even use aggressive sales techniques during such an event.

Were it one of my friends or relatives going to such an event - unless they were confident, strong-willed and difficult to manipulate (which are not common traits among space sim nerds) I'd do my very best to talk them out of it.

The price tag is to weed out the haters and nonbelievers. Nobody that has a shred of doubt about the project is going to shell out another 350 dollars for a pizza lunch and a chance to yell at Chris Roberts and the dev team. Remember that this is for high level backers only. High level backers with doubts aren't buying more ships and are not flying to LA. This is all for the true believers. Gotta keep a tight hold on their wallets. Make them feel like they are valued and an important part of Star Citizen.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I thought it was other thing, the much more bigly and worse thing coming in 2 weeks that was going to kill them.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Where's that guy who says that he knows everything.

I'm not there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgZUoaIhxA&t=44s

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

They made it pretty clear that the intention is to film the event and then publish the highlight reel.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

But if CiG dies too hard, there won't be much to loot, and Chris gets an out.

It'd be funnier if the settlement is a Versaille's treaty where they have to put the Crytek logo back and pay reparations forever.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Blue On Blue posted:

What happened to burn down and the charts showing all the bugs and how they're always 2 weeks away from full release ?

They released 3.0 so there aren't any more bugs and no need for a burn down. They also got rid of all the issues since they don't relate to 3.0, they were all 2.6 issues. Clean slate is probably the right approach to take now.

Some time in February, after his well earned break, Chris will probably have a meeting with all the heads of the departments to discuss what sort of features they might want to consider implementing in 3.1. Then they can start work on 3.1. Tentatively give it a release date of March, to meet the quarterly releases. When it slips to August/September they can start up a new weekly burn down show and reveal the weekly blocker numbers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

I just don't know that the injunction is viable because of the havoc that it wreaks. Bear in mind that vengeance isn't a legal property.

Courts tend not to grant them in cases where goods are taken from distribution. They tend to favor a trial and if the plaintiffs win, then the injunction gets granted.

For the latest precedent in gaming, see "Silcon Knights vs Epic Games" whereby the injunction was granted after Epic won; and all the games were ordered pulled from distribution. SK dead.

----------------

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
They made it pretty clear that the intention is to film the event and then try to pass gas.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

Fun fact, you get to personally attach the CEO of a company to your litigation. And by direct association that means since Chris and Sandi are legally married, that means BOTH of their assets can be in jeopardy.

No. She's protected as she's not a member of the executive team, her name isn't on any of the company listings as an officer etc.

And she's not named in the suit.

The only time any of her assets come into play is if they pierce the corporate veil - which in this case should be trivial - and go after Chris personally.

----------------

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

D_Smart posted:

No. She's protected as she's not a member of the executive team, her name isn't on any of the company listings as an officer etc.

And she's not named in the suit.

The only time any of her assets come into play is if they pierce the corporate veil - which in this case should be trivial - and go after Chris personally.

She needs another divorce ASAP!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I imagine whoever has those lemons isn't particularly happy about a large grey concrete thingy right outside their yard. Is CIG's HQ building really still in a greybox state?

Preen Dog posted:

They must be in great financial shape if Crobbler will do tours of the dream factory for $20k.

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm sick and had a fever nightmare last night that i had backed star citizen and forgotten. i ended up playing it while trying to find out how to refund.

i had two ships, one was a generic space fighter thing and one was a ufo. I spent most of my time in the dream trying to move my space furniture from the space fighter to the ufo, because the ufo had a better cockpit view.

the fighter was huge on the inside but small outside, and i realised that when I crossed the threshold into the ship my character was actually shrinking to make the interior seem bigger. there was an npc inside the ship and when I left the ship my character grew but the npc stayed tiny.

i never actually flew either of the ships.

my nightmare about this lovely game actually had more functional features in it than the real star citizen.

i need to stop reading this thread before bed.

The stuff nightmares are made of

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

As someone who has a copy of the standard GLA for CryEngine, I can tell you that back in 2012 when they did the custom version with RSI/CIG, it was way - way - more expensive than that. This is also the reason why Crytek has been stressing how much they gave them a break on the price etc.

It's difficult to find solid info on what the standard licensing terms used to be, especially now they've gone royalty free - it was probably somewhat bespoke each time.

I've dug up a few forum discussions talking about the various major engines from 2012 and they talk about a 20% or 30% revenue royalty fee for Cryengine.

I mean, gently caress, if it's 20% backdated royalties it's like a $35 million bill. It's pretty unlikely they could afford even half of that so I don't know if they could ever come up with a settlement offer that allows them to continue to operate. Racking my brains to think of a single settlement offer that CIG could come up with that would save them and I've got nothing.

It's a shame that if they do settle, we'll likely never find out what the terms were.

Also thanks for reminding me that someone made a game with a name as dumb as Warface.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Looking forward to the next chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k&t=64s

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Okay, so here is a crazy theory that might not be so crazy if you think about it:

The reason why the word "intentionally" was liberally sprinkled throughout the amended complaint that gave CIG another two weeks?

Somebody is talking. Skadden has somebody that was present at high level meetings where the decisions to ditch Cryengine because Crytek was probably going to be out of business. There are plenty of leavers that Skadden could have found or maybe the leavers were a bit disgruntled and came to Skadden themselves. Or it could be somebody still on the inside that is trying to cover their own rear end for when the poo poo truly hits the fan. Or maybe it's someone on the inside that was told to redo a bomber jacket one too many times. But the point is that there are many people who could have been privy to the decision to intentionally break contract. Even if their testimony can't be used, they still might know where the bodies are buried and could point Skadden towards the right documents and the right people to depose with the right questions.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

We don't know what they've got, and until real evidence is made public, we won't.

Yo, Toops, the day real evidence is made public is the day this project is over, maybe officially over. They cannot, under any circumstances release thee financial info the have worked for years to hide, so what are we supposed to do in the meantime? wait for it? two weeks?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

I thought it was other thing, the much more bigly and worse thing coming in 2 weeks that was going to kill them.

No no it was the other "two" much more bigly things.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
At the absolute worst, a 10m settlement and CIG goes about its business. So far there have been a dozen pages about speculation, the end of times as we know it, and parp. Yawn.

Someone called it earlier: a nothingburger.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No not those, I meant the bigliest thing. The two weeks thing.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

At the absolute worst, a 10m settlement and CIG goes about its business. So far there have been a dozen pages about speculation, the end of times as we know it, and parp. Yawn.

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule of playing SQ42 and killing sharks to file your quote the poo poo out of this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I believe next to nothing Derek says at face value. Saying that, a "10m settlement maximum" sounds extremely naive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

I imagine a company that has to take out a 4m loan to cover them until a tax rebate comes in is going to miss 10m from their cash reserves. I'd also love to know what goes on in the negotiation that ends with CIG paying 1/3rd of the royalties that they'd be liable for without the GLA.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2018

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

A nothingburger worth up to 10 millions.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sickening posted:

I believe next to nothing Derek says at face value. Saying that, a "10m settlement maximum" sounds extremely naive.

Does it? If it boils down to around 20% royalties at the time of the agreement and they were around 30m in we're looking at 6 mil + "damages." And I'm talking a settlement here, not a judgement.

CryTek has poo poo for cash. Skadden is likely not collecting massive fees unless a settlement/judgement (if that).

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Each backer would have to choose between loyalty to Chris or their ships / ship IOUs, but a surprising number would choose Chris. Even those in the MMHC. Faith in Chris powers most of the engagement we see; it sure isn’t love of the gameplay because there hardly is any yet and what’s there is neither fun nor stable. The game they’re playing isn’t Star Citizen, it’s “Ya Gotta Believe”. Reddit and elsewhere are the arenas of play and they’re happier playing there. Chris is the reason.

For some reason...

I dont know. At some point they want a game. Deep down they may know it to be poo poo but they have paid out thousands and they do want a return. Chris is just the vision at this point but it is finite. Everything is finite. Time, hope, $, goodwill.
The only way I see them giving up would be an alternate vision being made (IE CR has another demo made from another engine and says see CryEngine couldnt do it but Hero engine can!)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not willing to bet $3k on the result.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Preen Dog posted:

I just had a colonocope and they gave me fentanyl anesthetic. As the drug went in I felt drowsy but completely alert, then there was a crystal clear moment of looking at my insides on the TV, then the next instant I'm perfectly alert again and was asked to sit up. I felt slightly confused that no time had passed and no instrument seemed to have been used. In fact, over an hour had passed, I was in a different pose, and my dad was there to pick me up, not having noticed him arrive. I must have been somewhat awake during the procedure, and probably responded to instructions, but I have no recollection of it. I also don't know if the image I saw on the monitor was real, or if it was just a memory of videos I had googled before the procedure.

It didn't seem odd at the time, but thinking back, it's creepy af. It must be what severe schizophrenia or dementia are like. No wonder the Stimpire is so successful. If you don't know what's real, you can only submit.

R u okay commando?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Quoting the poo poo out of this.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

I imagine a company that has to take out a 4m loan to cover them until a tax rebate comes in is going to miss 10m from their cash reserves. I'd also love to know what goes on in a negotiation that results in CIG paying 1/3rd of the royalties that they'd be liable for without the GLA.

LOL take out a loan for coverage. Ok.

You wouldn't give up free, available cash in the realm of millions if it presented itself to you, so why would they? Why risk losing credit if brexit were bust?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Every time I go down to the payday loan place it's because I'm high rollin', securing all kinds of investments with free, available cash

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

That's why he's ManofManyAliases and not ManofManySmarts

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Lladre posted:

That is def weird. My couple of surgeries have always gone the route of the anesthesiologist asking me how my day was so far, starting to answer them and then waking up in a different room.

Last time I was put under was at the dentist's when I was six. A few minutes in I shoved everything out of my mouth and started beating the dentist with my fists. I remember none of this.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

A guy emailed me this morning asking if I wanted free available cash in the realm of millions

maybe I should give it a second think

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does it? If it boils down to around 20% royalties at the time of the agreement and they were around 30m in we're looking at 6 mil + "damages." And I'm talking a settlement here, not a judgement.

CryTek has poo poo for cash. Skadden is likely not collecting massive fees unless a settlement/judgement (if that).

What do you mean "at the time of the agreement"?

The way royalties work is that you agree to pay 20% of all revenue from the game you made using Cryengine.

Revenue to date is around 170 million dollars. So without the GLA they would owe 20% of that figure. And they would continue to owe 20% of all future revenue resulting from the game.

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL take out a loan for coverage. Ok.

You wouldn't give up free, available cash in the realm of millions if it presented itself to you, so why would they? Why risk losing credit if brexit were bust?

A business rate loan is not free, obviously, and if they already have the cash sitting around then literally what point would there be in taking out a loan while that cash sits in a bank account? Do you think they were getting a better interest rate from their bank account than the lender was getting on the loan?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

I'm pretty confident the anesthesia during colonoscopies is more for the awkwardness of the experience rather than any actual pain.

Eh, more like incompetence. As with every profession you have good ones and bad ones. Chances are you are getting a bad one.