Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Onmi posted:

I'm also Eh on his Green Lantern. He had some interesting concepts for Kyle, but making Nero when Effigy was right there (And better in my opinion) and the change of Kyle's personality never sat well with me. I also hate the new costume, but I'm not sure that was so much his fault.

I did not like his GL at all. And his Green Arrow was very meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually enjoyed Winnick's run for the most part, but that is because it had great art going with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

he never saw him as nothing more than a villain.

Most people still do. And I preferred him that way (Or Dead).

The fact that Batman tolerates and is willing to work with him is pretty much unfathomable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Alfred would rather die than not see Bruce married

I mean a Aunt May probably felt the same but lol side characters getting agency.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most people still do. And I preferred him that way (Or Dead).

The fact that Batman tolerates and is willing to work with him is pretty much unfathomable.

Not really. People who still see him as a murderer are the minority now. For the rest he's the snarky jerk with a heart of gold of the Batfamily with a dash of cool dad thanks to his current relationship with Bizarro.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not really. People who still see him as a murderer are the minority now. For the rest he's the snarky jerk with a heart of gold of the Batfamily with a dash of cool dad thanks to his current relationship with Bizarro.

Nah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Fart fart fart fart fart fart fffffaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttttt

Please go on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Sounds like a fun character, what series is he in?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tom King has really done a lot to rehabilitate red hood, admittedly

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

Please go on.

drat! sounds like someone needs to go take a doodoo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

Roth we are NO LONGER FRIENDS

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

You can find him in Batman: Death in the family

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Tom King has really done a lot to rehabilitate red hood, admittedly

By not using him?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

But I just think that character sounds like fun. It's not like I'm asking to read Red Hood or anything :smug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

By not using him?

Look Jason getting his fries jokerized and remarking how he should be offended but drat it they're delicious is probably literally red hoods best single moment ever

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

By not using him?

Wrong

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like the version of red hood that's this sort of really darkly fatalistic but in a humorous way, relatively relaxed dude who maybe stops killing people all the loving time and actually enjoys hanging out with his adopted brothers is a version of red hood I can like.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best thing they could do with Red Hood would be either to make him into Travis Touchdown, or to make him an older dude that's really embarrassed by how much of an edgelord he used to be.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth we ARE FRIENDS AGAIN

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But he does murder people, it's his whole gimmick.

Even in the series you like!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jason must die

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hiddenriverninja posted:

jason must die

Good news!

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
I've just read the 10-book run that started with the Court of Owls. My main Batman history:

Year One
Dark Knight Returns
Long Halloween (of course I'm gonna get the follow up 'Dark Victory')
various other random Bat books but I'm tired of listing. I haven't read any current stuff besides my first mention. That's my primary interest.

Any reccomendations are welcome. I prefer the darker stuff over the 'Boom, Biff' style.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Matt Wagner books Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk are updates of some of the grim pulpy stories from the 40s, highly recommended. They also take place right after Year One and follow the relationship between Batman and Jim Gordon as it develops.

Read The Cult! It's loving cool as hell and Batman gets absolutely torn apart and has to rebuild his mind after being tortured and brainwashed for weeks. Incredible artwork by Bernie Wrightson.

The early Legends of the Dark Knight stories are great for this feel too. Gothic, Venom, Going Sane.

If you liked Court of Owls read Snyder's older Batman stories like Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I've just read the 10-book run that started with the Court of Owls. My main Batman history:

Year One
Dark Knight Returns
various other random Bat books but I'm tired of listing. I haven't read any current stuff besides my first mention. That's my primary interest.

Any reccomendations are welcome. I prefer the darker stuff over the 'Boom, Biff' style.

Track down Moench/Kelly's Batman run. Lament that very little of it is in trade form. Celebrate that you manage to track down the issues in floppy/digital and be happy that you read some darker Batman stories that aren't stupid.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

purple death ray posted:

The Matt Wagner books Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk are updates of some of the grim pulpy stories from the 40s, highly recommended. They also take place right after Year One and follow the relationship between Batman and Jim Gordon as it develops.

Read The Cult! It's loving cool as hell and Batman gets absolutely torn apart and has to rebuild his mind after being tortured and brainwashed for weeks. Incredible artwork by Bernie Wrightson.

The early Legends of the Dark Knight stories are great for this feel too. Gothic, Venom, Going Sane.

If you liked Court of Owls read Snyder's older Batman stories like Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham too.

I agree with these recommendations, especially The Cult and Gothic. I loving love both of them. drat, now I have to re-read The Cult.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

But he does murder people, it's his whole gimmick.

Even in the series you like!

He hasn't killed anyone on Rebirth.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Lots of nice recs. Thanks guys. 2018 is gonna be a bat bonanza.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Year One
Dark Knight Returns

You read the entirety of Snyder's N52 run?

If you read all those comics I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend you read Morrison's Batman run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Actually, also read Rucka's Detective Comics (especially post NML). Brubaker's Batman run isn't too bad either.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Some links to the books you guys are talking about would be helpful. I don't know any of these names.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman Cult

Moench Batman

Rucka Detective Comics

Brubaker Batman

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't forget the other Rucka Detective Comics :)
https://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Elegy-GREG-RUCKA-ebook/dp/B009POHJCO/ref=sr_1_1

edit: Newer edition with more content, but more expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Williams-Detective-Comics-1937-2011-ebook/dp/B071G8Y8ZV/ref=sr_1_1

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 6, 2018

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Thanks buddies.

Edit: 'Cult' immediately jumped out at me so I ordered that one. I plan to check these all out eventually.

HoneyBakedMAN fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 6, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Like I know people go to "Murders people all the time" but Jason actually mentioned a while ago how he'd changed to rubber bullets. So he actually murders remarkably little now. I mean saying this is literally worthless since everyone's already made up their minds, but I figured I'd just get it out there.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You read the entirety of Snyder's N52 run?

If you read all those comics I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend you read Morrison's Batman run.

Can you recommend a book/books collecting Morrison's run? As I've said, I'm not familiar with the creative talent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a decade long run over several titles.
It starts here: https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Son-New-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401244025

But DC are going to start collecting the whole thing in a series of omnibuses later this year, which will be much easier to follow.
https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Grant-Morrison-Omnibus-Vol/dp/1401282997
They'll be giant and hardcover though, so maybe just read the first trade to see if you're interested in going further.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 6, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Can you recommend a book/books collecting Morrison's run? As I've said, I'm not familiar with the creative talent.

Be prepared for the most convoluted reading order ever.

https://comicsastonish.com/2012/01/04/a-readers-guide-to-grant-morrisons-batman/

Do read Black Casebook if you've never read those issues before, you don't have to read 52.

If you're reading in trades here's the reading order:

The Black Casebook
Batman and Son: New Edition
Batman R.I.P.
Final Crisis (New Edition)
Time and the Batman
Batman and Robin vol. 1
Batman and Robin vol. 2
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin vol. 3
Batman, Incorporated volume 1*

*: The New 52 occurs after this trade, so you'll need to remember what the new canon going into the N52 is for:

Batman, Incorporated volume 1 (N52)
Batman, Incorporated volume 2 (N52)

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Reading the black casebook is really really helpful in understanding Morrison's run. I didn't do it the first time and it was really distracting how many things felt out of place or random. I found it incomprehensible to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah TBC is really crucial in general, to RIP specifically, and if you've never read golden or silver age Batman and don't know what his run is referencing regularly. It's really, really important to read for Morrison's run.

• Locked thread