Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does it? If it boils down to around 20% royalties at the time of the agreement and they were around 30m in we're looking at 6 mil + "damages." And I'm talking a settlement here, not a judgement.

CryTek has poo poo for cash. Skadden is likely not collecting massive fees unless a settlement/judgement (if that).

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

My magnum opus is done

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

What do you mean "at the time of the agreement"?

The way royalties work is that you agree to pay 20% of all revenue from the game you made using Cryengine.

Revenue to date is around 170 million dollars. So without the GLA they would owe 20% of that figure. And they would continue to owe 20% of all future revenue resulting from the game.

Well, up until the time of the LY switch. We also don't know what termination clauses were attached to this agreement, and whether or not CryTek upheld their bargain to have their developers made available for support (which, appears was not the case since CIG literally had to hire half of them).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does it? If it boils down to around 20% royalties at the time of the agreement and they were around 30m in we're looking at 6 mil + "damages."

I don't know the history of the Star Citizen timeline. When was the agreement with Crytek made? If Crytek helped produce the demo that they used for the Kickstarter, then they would be in it from the beginning, yes? That would have been the time to sign the agreement? Why would the number be only that at which time it was signed; I thought royalties were based on the product being continuously sold? Even if we were to suppose that CIG no longer had to pay royalties when they switched to Lumberyard, that switch still came after the 100 million mark, right?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does it? If it boils down to around 20% royalties at the time of the agreement and they were around 30m in we're looking at 6 mil + "damages." And I'm talking a settlement here, not a judgement.

CryTek has poo poo for cash. Skadden is likely not collecting massive fees unless a settlement/judgement (if that).

im starting to suspect that you're not actually toast.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Oh poo poo, did the shill check come through MoMA? How are the rates for running damage control on a thread in an obscure subforum on a dead website?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

So Naive, yes?

Like this isn't how cases like this go and I have absolutely no clue how a reasonable person could believe that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, up until the time of the LY switch. We also don't know what termination clauses were attached to this agreement, and whether or not CryTek upheld their bargain to have their developers made available for support (which, appears was not the case since CIG literally had to hire half of them).

Considering the contract specifically said they would exclusively use Cryengine for their game, I'm willing to make a bet on whether there was a termination clause in their contract allowing them to drop Cryengine for a different engine.

Assuming the information in the complaint is accurate, that is. The complaint also cites the fact that they're still using cryengine code, since they've repeatedly revealed proprietary code on their loving bugsmashers, because they are morons.

I do so hope this goes to court.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 5, 2018

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

XK posted:

Are you sure you didn't get propofol? That's standard for anesthetized colonoscopies.

In Canada Fentanyl and ativan and double/triple doses if required. I had one done earlier (in life) then expected and they hit me 3 times - I wasnt a happy camper.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't know the history of the Star Citizen timeline. When was the agreement with Crytek made? If Crytek helped produce the demo that they used for the Kickstarter, then they would be in it from the beginning, yes? That would have been the time to sign the agreement? Why would the number be only that at which time it was signed; I thought royalties were based on the product being continuously sold? Even if we were to suppose that CIG no longer had to pay royalties when they switched to Lumberyard, that switch still came after the 100 million mark, right?

No. The agreement was that as long as CryEngine was used being licensed and used in the production of a game by RSI/CIG, then they will receive royalties. If I have an exclusive agreement with Tesla to license my lithium refinery techniques in battery production and will receive a royalty on every battery sold, but then Tesla switches to another vendor and terminates the agreement with me in accordance with some termination clause of our contract, then would I continue to receive royalties for every battery sold after that if Tesla is utilizing the refining technique of that other vendor?

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Raskolnikov posted:

R u okay commando?

Just a little owie. I hope it's a cute worm.

Sorry for starting GI chat. Other people have bigger problems.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

act now on this rare opportunity to give us 350 bucks for nothing.

Earth, Sol Sytem

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

act now on this rare opportunity to give us 350 bucks for nothing.

loving :laffo:

So, the company backers gave $175M to build a game they have yet to deliver, is now charging the big spenders for a meet and greet.

Here we thought them taking backer money to manufacture cheap Chinese goods, then selling them back to backers at a mark up profit was bad.

LOL!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov posted:

Last time I was put under was at the dentist's when I was six. A few minutes in I shoved everything out of my mouth and started beating the dentist with my fists. I remember none of this.

If that happened today, your parents would be rich off the viral youtube video.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XK posted:

Fentanyl is not recreationally fun
Nice FUD.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. The agreement was that as long as CryEngine was used being licensed and used in the production of a game by RSI/CIG, then they will receive royalties. If I have an exclusive agreement with Tesla to license mby lithium refinery techniques in battery production and will receive a royalty on every battery sold, but then Tesla switches to another vendor and terminates the agreement with me in accordance with some termination clause of our contract, then would I continue to receive royalties for every battery sold after that if Tesla is utilizing the refining technique of that other vendor?

Good god, how many are sharing your account?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eh, more like incompetence. As with every profession you have good ones and bad ones. Chances are you are getting a bad one.

Username/Post Combo.
E: I mean that it's funny.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

TheAgent posted:

hmm here's my proof

chris roberts is a loving corrupt moron

I now enter this post as evidence, please contact me on twitter if you need further testimony

I stopped reading after testimony. What a rube.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. The agreement was that as long as CryEngine was used being licensed and used in the production of a game by RSI/CIG, then they will receive royalties. If I have an exclusive agreement with Tesla to license mby lithium refinery techniques in battery production and will receive a royalty on every battery sold, but then Tesla switches to another vendor and terminates the agreement with me in accordance with some termination clause of our contract, then would I continue to receive royalties for every battery sold after that if Tesla is utilizing the refining technique of that other vendor?

Dude, read the complaint and get back to us please. It claims that under the GLA they signed they will exclusively use Cryengine for the game and in exchange for this they will pay zero royalties.

They're not being sued for failing to pay royalties, they're being sued for damages incurred as a result of them breaking the GLA in a bunch of different ways.

The most obvious violation being them claiming to have stopped using the engine, and the most obvious damages being the loving enormous royalty bill they avoided paying.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 5, 2018

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

But if you still used Tesla, and merely claimed to have terminated the agreement, then you'd be in trouble if Tesla sued you.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ManofManyAliases posted:

They are still using Cryengine you dumbass. We literally posted dozens of screenshots of this here, straight from their Bugsmashers and other videos. They might be using pieces of Lumberyard somewhere but their Frankenstein Star Engine is based on licensed technology protected by Crytek IP. 64-bit positioning, physicalized jpeg grids, and all other mumbo jumpo they developed was on top of CE3 not Lumberyard. If I license an engine and insert a character into the code, it's not magically not protected by IP anymore because I modified it. What's so hard about this? THEY LITERALLY POSTED VIDEOS OF CODE THAT SAY "COPYRIGHT CRYTEK" AS CODE COMMENTS.

I mean you might believe their bullshit about switching the engine in two days. But all other evidence points to it being complete nonsense. If they're basing their defense around that, then good luck. Stop believing everything CIG says. They're serial liars running a scam. If they are willing to lie about a $30K space door, they sure as gently caress gonna lie about everything else.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 5, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. The agreement was that as long as CryEngine was used being licensed and used in the production of a game by RSI/CIG, then they will receive royalties. If I have an exclusive agreement with Tesla to license my lithium refinery techniques in battery production and will receive a royalty on every battery sold, but then Tesla switches to another vendor and terminates the agreement with me in accordance with some termination clause of our contract, then would I continue to receive royalties for every battery sold after that if Tesla is utilizing the refining technique of that other vendor?

Now ask yourself, what if they didn't legally meet the termination agreement?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

XK posted:

I have the colitis, and when I've gotten knock-out colonoscopies, it's been propofol. Propofol is the "milk" that killed Michael Jackson, by the way. When I got it, I was just totally blacked out, beginning to end.

You don't even actually need anesthesia for that procedure. It's not painful, just weird and awkward feeling.

Fentanyl is not recreationally fun, either way. Morphine is what feels good.

Morphine is poo poo actually, I have never like using the stuff. Demerol was preferred by me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpcrpC3P28

intardnation fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 5, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Preen Dog posted:

Sorry for starting GI chat. Other people have bigger problems.

Probably the most on topic discussion atm

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
looks like Relay gave the dumb one the account again.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sickening posted:

Now ask yourself, what if they didn't legally meet the termination agreement?

I'm sure whatever they had in place CryTek waived because they were big fans of Wing Commander

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

:lol:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

Dude, read the complaint and get back to us please. It claims that under the GLA they signed they will exclusively use Cryengine for the game and in exchange for this they will pay zero royalties.

They're not being sued for failing to pay royalties, they're being sued damages resulting from them breaking the GLA in a bunch of different ways.

The most obvious damages being the loving enormous royalty bill they avoided paying.

I was responding to ice's comment about this royalty language:

"Crytek has not been compensated for Defendants' unlicensed use of Crytek technology in the Squadron 42 game, and has been substantially harmed by being deprived of that compensation, which would ordinarily include a substantial up-front payment as well as a substantial royalty on game sales."

In either regard, the whole purpose of these types of complaints are to throw as much poo poo as possible on the wall in hopes that some of it will stick. I honestly think that CryTek was negligent in their promise to provide support to CIG, hence CIG's switch to partner with Amazon's LY and receive ongoing support as necessary (in addition to poaching ex-developers and support from CryTek).

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

D_Smart posted:

It will. And it's coming sooner than most people think. Screen cap and quote me on that poo poo.

like you last call - It took 2 years not 2 weeks. get ur poo poo together and make the call. 2018 now.

Will you answer the call DS?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

hot balls man no homo posted:

Okay, so here is a crazy theory that might not be so crazy if you think about it:

The reason why the word "intentionally" was liberally sprinkled throughout the amended complaint that gave CIG another two weeks?

Somebody is talking. Skadden has somebody that was present at high level meetings where the decisions to ditch Cryengine because Crytek was probably going to be out of business. There are plenty of leavers that Skadden could have found or maybe the leavers were a bit disgruntled and came to Skadden themselves. Or it could be somebody still on the inside that is trying to cover their own rear end for when the poo poo truly hits the fan. Or maybe it's someone on the inside that was told to redo a bomber jacket one too many times. But the point is that there are many people who could have been privy to the decision to intentionally break contract. Even if their testimony can't be used, they still might know where the bodies are buried and could point Skadden towards the right documents and the right people to depose with the right questions.
Et tu, Lesnick?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know, right? I'm sure they already burned the 500 mil the Turkish gov fronted them on business class flights to Monaco and limited edition Porsches and trips to Restoration Hardware and $13k coffee makers and mocap and film equipment, how could they ever hope to fight this case is anyone's guess.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I think I found the best call the SC-SA community ever made, it's 5 years old :

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG shifting their business model to going after big spenders could be a real game changer.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It's surprisingly easy to burn through half a billion dollars.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

Good point, Toast.

Also, was anyone even looking at Chris' other hand when he signed the contract? What if he had his fingers crossed the whole time!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
MoMA, how are you enjoying the several playable levels of SQ42 that you said would be out by now?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018

quote:

Last update : Jan 5th, 2018

Hello Citizens,

Now that Alpha 3.0 is out, we wanted to give you all an update on our plans for this coming year. As we discussed before the holidays, we now have a delivery schedule based on dates rather than features.

We are doing this for several reasons. First, thanks to the huge improvements to core tech, we can be more predictable about delivering our patches, as we are building upon and refining existing tech. Second, we want to get more build iteration, which gives us more opportunities to get feedback from the community going forward. Finally, this new approach provides more flexibility in our development. If a proposed feature takes longer than anticipated, we will push it to the next release, rather than delaying other new content.

We plan on delivering new builds once a quarter, starting with our first drop at the end of March. After that, we aim to deliver again at the end of June, September, and December of this year.

Our first release will pull together all the great work that was completed last year with a focus on optimizing the server and client. We also intend to include one or two new features which will enhance gameplay around Crusader.

3.1 is about enhancing performance and polishing the gameplay systems and UI, including ships, system traversal, a large balance pass of our economy, and improving AI for spaceflight and combat. All the great data and feedback from the community over the holiday period is really going to help us with these tasks.

Although 3.1 is our focus for late March, several teams will also be working on our long-term goals for this year, in which we plan to deliver the vast majority of systems and mechanics so players have a variety of options to lose themselves in the ‘Verse.

For our end-of-June release, we plan to implement the initial tier 0 versions of mining, salvaging, mobile refueling, and repair into the game, as well as give the player the ability to create their own missions like hiring mercs, transport, or refueling missions. On the AI side, we plan to improve both ship and FPS AI for both missions as well as general activity on space and planetary bases.

Our next delivery in late September will introduce another major long-term tech goal: Object Container Streaming. This technology will allow us to start expanding the Stanton system with additional destinations, while managing our memory usage much better. In this delivery, we would also like to start introducing the mechanics of how you stake and file land claims and the gameplay that comes with this feature. This release will also continue to consolidate and polish all the new features in the past milestone.

That will leave our final build of the year in late December. Now that our streaming tech has been tested and can support the huge amount of new data content introduced(:psyduck:), we will continue to expand the Stanton System, allowing players to explore, fulfill their career choices, and do many different types of missions, either with friends or on their own.

Stay tuned as the new Star Citizen Production Roadmap will come online along with the new RSI website later this month, with more development and release details.

See you in the ‘Verse (literally),

— The Star Citizen Team

In the meantime, head over to the launcher page and download the 3.0.0 patch to see the universe for yourself. You can also visit our Spectrum thread to leave your feedback.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gosts posted:

My magnum opus is done

:lesnick: :rip: :sandance:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

thatguy posted:

Et tu, Lesnick?

Scene: RSI Los Angels office

Chris Roberts walks up to space door with a cup of hot coffee in one hand and his key card in the other.

Chris swipes his card on the access panel and the space doors slide open reavealing Ben Lesnick slumped in a chair wearing a grey sweatshirt.

Written on the sweatshirt is "HO-HO-HO NOW WE HAVE A WITNESS"

Also written on the shirt is then entire 4th Stimpire text

Chris drops his coffee, turns around and makes a run for his limited edition Porsche

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was responding to ice's comment about this royalty language:

"Crytek has not been compensated for Defendants' unlicensed use of Crytek technology in the Squadron 42 game, and has been substantially harmed by being deprived of that compensation, which would ordinarily include a substantial up-front payment as well as a substantial royalty on game sales."

In either regard, the whole purpose of these types of complaints are to throw as much poo poo as possible on the wall in hopes that some of it will stick. I honestly think that CryTek was negligent in their promise to provide support to CIG, hence CIG's switch to partner with Amazon's LY and receive ongoing support as necessary (in addition to poaching ex-developers and support from CryTek).

Will be interesting to see if that argument is made when they respond to the filing. If you think someone isn't holding up their end of a contract in full, I'm not sure it is a legally recognised remedy to pretend that contract doesn't exist any more.

Also, as others have mentioned, CIG have been displaying proprietary Cryengine source code in their bug smashers up to literally the week before the complaint was filed. This, along with the farce that was their explanation and timeline for the switch, strongly indicates that they just kept the underlying code the same since they considered lumberyard and cryengine to be functionally identical. Which they may well be, but unfortunately they're not legally identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
It's too bad Skadden didn't consult with MoMA before they got started on all this

Boy are they going to be embarrassed when it comes out in court