Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shout out to forums poster Merkin Muffley for getting me hooked on Skyline Chile/Spaghetti from the last BIF. Just made some for Christmas dinner, pairs well with Modelo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If any of you philly area folks haven't gotten Mannequin Throne, the Tired Hands/SARA collab, I would suggest a quick trip to the general store. Beer is great now and in six months I think it will be amazing. Plenty of bottles left as far as I know (2 per person).

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Lt_Tofu posted:

Shout out to forums poster Merkin Muffley for getting me hooked on Skyline Chile/Spaghetti from the last BIF. Just made some for Christmas dinner, pairs well with Modelo.

Yessss, let the 3-way consume you!!!

Listermann just put out a Cincy chili Chickow! and I’m terrified of trying it. They normally kill it with their adjunct stouts, browns, barley wines and whatnot, I’m just... hesitant about this one...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If you bought one of the Batch 1 (2013) Deth's Tar bottles at Rev a couple months back, you made the right choice. Loud hiss and big head when poured but its almost nitro-like smooth, soft carb. The original booze heat is completely gone and a ton of vanilla is there instead. Some cola-oxidation but otherwise really good.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
rev is apparently distributed to MA now so I had a deth's tar at a random bar tonight

folks: its good

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
God drat Air! is destroying my untappd friends feed again with amazing beers...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
CCB's Trousseau seems much less sweet with a little bit of time and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Last night I got pretty drunk and checked TB before I went to bed and someone posted about a 3F box on Belgium In a Box and now I have- amongst other things- a magnum of A&G coming even though it's far too loving cold and oh god it's all going to explode.

2018 Resolution: don't shop for beer online when you're shitfaced.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

danbanana posted:

2018 Resolution: don't shop for beer online when you're shitfaced.

Yeah OK.

I live in Canada and I have to tell myself this. along with "Don't get a US shipping address"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got to buy founders breakfast stout and its good but doesn't nearly live up to the hype

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Tried my bottle of 2017 BCBS last night to bring in the new year. Pleasant and now I know what that's like. I'll get to the coffee one I have sometime.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
"Has anyone experienced infection starting in their hardywood hoax bottles?"

hmm.

so, yeah, don't sit on whatever recent (fall/winter) barrel-aged Hardywood stuff you might have, because it ain't gonna get better...

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Annual Mad Elf bottle: still not a good beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the yellow dart posted:

Annual Mad Elf bottle: still not a good beer.

Trolling someone who rage quit this thread is the best kind of trolling.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Control Volume posted:

Got to buy founders breakfast stout and its good but doesn't nearly live up to the hype

Hide it in a closet. Local bar randomly got a case of 2014 and it aged great for a shelf beer.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I've been saving a Hardywood Ruse that I got from funkybottoms a while back, maybe I'll have that soon to discover whether anything bad happened to it. Also on NYE I had the pastryest of pastry stouts: Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break or whatever it's actually called. I could feel my pancreas straining with each sip. Couldn't even finish half of it, holy gently caress. It works sometimes but I think in general this syrup barrel thing should go away. Or maybe it was the almond flavoring that sent it over the edge. I'm really not sure what else I expected though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

krustster posted:

I've been saving a Hardywood Ruse that I got from funkybottoms a while back, maybe I'll have that soon to discover whether anything bad happened to it.

nope- drank my remaining bottle last night and it was good!

(it's this year's barrel-aged GBS that you have to watch out for)

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

krustster posted:

I've been saving a Hardywood Ruse that I got from funkybottoms a while back, maybe I'll have that soon to discover whether anything bad happened to it. Also on NYE I had the pastryest of pastry stouts: Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break or whatever it's actually called. I could feel my pancreas straining with each sip. Couldn't even finish half of it, holy gently caress. It works sometimes but I think in general this syrup barrel thing should go away. Or maybe it was the almond flavoring that sent it over the edge. I'm really not sure what else I expected though.

That bottle was $50? Or $35 forgot which was which. But I wasn't paying or contributing to a giant bottle of syrup.

But speaking of cakes, chocolate cake was absolutely delicious but reserva holy balls. Reserva is one of the best beers I've ever had and not just saying that cause of the cost.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My brothers and I drank my bottle of CBS on New Years Eve. I really liked it and didn’t find it overly sweet at all. Very smooth.

If that poo poo was year round and not $25/bottle I’d buy it all the time.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Captain Duvel posted:

That bottle was $50? Or $35 forgot which was which. But I wasn't paying or contributing to a giant bottle of syrup.

Yeah, it was $35. I was there to buy some BA Anchorage stuff (actually good) and my purchasing hand spasmed when I saw something limited and expensive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

crooked stave coffee baltic porter p. alright

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

drank some Talisker Skye last night and then decided to cellar raid a Melange #3 from the Bruery. not sure about the year- possibly 2010- but it was surprisingly loving good. sweet and boozy, sure, but not hot and with minimal oxidation. toffee, caramel, and vanilla in spades, but almost no hint of stout at all. would drink again (but not by myself in one evening, because i do not feel awesome right now)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not sure where to post this, but this seems to be the most appropriate place. Has anyone here made applejack from cider? I got kinda curious while reading up on it, and it's getting pretty cold here in Boston...

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Not sure where to post this, but this seems to be the most appropriate place. Has anyone here made applejack from cider? I got kinda curious while reading up on it, and it's getting pretty cold here in Boston...

Try the homebrewing thread, that's probably more along the lines you're looking for.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Later this month I'm heading to a conference in San Francisco, any good food/beer recommendations by the convention center (right next to Mikkeller SF)? Preferably cheapish food, nothing too lavish since it's all a bunch of recently graduated students going with me.

I remember you guys talking about Toronado a lot and it sounds decent. We all may rent a car and drive up to Napa and/or Russian River so stuff up north that's worth visiting would be appreciated.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From the excellent markov bot thread:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Later this month I'm heading to a conference in San Francisco, any good food/beer recommendations by the convention center (right next to Mikkeller SF)? Preferably cheapish food, nothing too lavish since it's all a bunch of recently graduated students going with me.

You'll be <1 mile from Cellarmaker and City Beer Store.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I remember you guys talking about Toronado a lot and it sounds decent. We all may rent a car and drive up to Napa and/or Russian River so stuff up north that's worth visiting would be appreciated.

yeah like danbanana said you'll be close to Cellarmaker and City Beer Store. if you're renting a car or just willing to brave public transportation you might as well go to Berkeley for Rare Barrel and Fieldwork. if you're with people who don't like sours, Rare Barrel usually has a solid guest draft list.

as far as other SF breweries go, I've had good stuff from both Bartlett Hall and Bare Bottle, but haven't actually been to either of them. I know that Bartlett Hall is in the Tenderloin(just like Mikkeller SF), so you will definitely be witness to open air drug sales, drug use, and general problems that come with rampant homelessness. SF can be weird and vary from block to block quite a bit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well looks like city beer store and cellar maker are definitely on the list of where to go.

Also somehow we may drive down that highway on the coast over to Monterrey and I really wanna try to go to SARA, but that's just a pipe dream.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well looks like city beer store and cellar maker are definitely on the list of where to go.

Also somehow we may drive down that highway on the coast over to Monterrey and I really wanna try to go to SARA, but that's just a pipe dream.

If you're going to take the PCH down to Monterrey, SARA is literally right off of the the highway.

Also here's points of interest along the PCH from my trip last year:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D_UktlJI62nJD2HlzX7nkdzEcL4&usp=sharing

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

speaking of SARA, the club invites were sent out today and it's another day/year of sadness for me. I was really hoping this year would be the year

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Just found some Hardywood Kentucky Christmas Morning here at a Publix. Nice.

Was this one of the infected ones?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anything worth checking out in New Orleans? I'll be at Canal & Rampart basically.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Hauki posted:

Anything worth checking out in New Orleans? I'll be at Canal & Rampart basically.

Avenue Pub for beer, Domalise's for po'boys, Surrey's Juice Bar for breakfast, Candlelight Lounge for music, and Stein's Market and Deli for sandwiches, attitude, and bottles

Munkaboo posted:

Just found some Hardywood Kentucky Christmas Morning here at a Publix. Nice.

Was this one of the infected ones?

drink fresh!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

drink fresh!

I'm honestly curious to hear about what the infectious microorganism is, if they ever give a poo poo about finding out the root cause. This isn't from a "ha ha this brewery sucks" point of view but from a scholastic "I want to know for science reasons" point of view

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Avenue Pub for beer, Domalise's for po'boys, Surrey's Juice Bar for breakfast, Candlelight Lounge for music, and Stein's Market and Deli for sandwiches, attitude, and bottles

Sweet, all that sounds good, thanks. Any recommendations for good gumbo of any stripe?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Hauki posted:

Courtyard Brewery is definitely worth checking out. Drink all the Parish and Great Raft you see on tap.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

dphi posted:

Courtyard Brewery is definitely worth checking out. Drink all the Parish and Great Raft you see on tap.

Seconding this, courtyard was fantastic. When I was there, NOLA Brewing had a lot of sours that were great while I was there but not sure that’s typical. Twelve Mile limit had a good taplist if I recall.

Otherwise, there was some great stuff outside of the city (parish and bayou teche) and really great cocktails.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm honestly curious to hear about what the infectious microorganism is, if they ever give a poo poo about finding out the root cause. This isn't from a "ha ha this brewery sucks" point of view but from a scholastic "I want to know for science reasons" point of view

dunno if it was a bad barrel to begin with- a warped stave, dried out, etc- or poor sanitation , but it was definitely on that side of things and not packaging. we've never had anything go south in a whiskey barrel, but rum barrels are already so hosed up when they arrive that we've had to dump four or five of them after going acetic.

Hauki posted:

Sweet, all that sounds good, thanks. Any recommendations for good gumbo of any stripe?

sorry, not much of a gumbo dude, but it's such a great food town that i'm sure you can find tons of "20 best gumbo spots in NOLA" lists. we never went to any of the destination-type places like Commander's Palace, but the only disappointing meals on any of our trips were at large places in the French Quarter. Guy's and Parkway were our other favorite po-boys and Parish was easily the best of the local-ish breweries, but it's been a couple years and obviously the scene has grown a lot since my last visit. also, yeah, drink cocktails if you're not at Avenue.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I recall Mandina's had awesome gumbo. While at Avenue, you can also drop over to Cochon Butcher for some crazy good boudin.

Now that I've let my liver sufficiently recover from two intense back to back New Year's celebration bottle shares, the standouts for me were Trillium/JWB Affogato (which straight up tasted like the real thing and not in an in your face pastry sense) and Fremont Brew 2000. Holy gently caress, someone please send me all the Fremont barleywine :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

dunno if it was a bad barrel to begin with- a warped stave, dried out, etc- or poor sanitation , but it was definitely on that side of things and not packaging. we've never had anything go south in a whiskey barrel, but rum barrels are already so hosed up when they arrive that we've had to dump four or five of them after going acetic.

Do the rum barrels come from out of the country distilleries and aren't treated properly in transit? That's just so odd.

Also I found out that Bell's now has Two Hearted in 16oz cans and I think they're way better than in bottles. It's not a completely different beer but it's enough of a difference for it to become a regular purchase now.