Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Negrostrike posted:

Nene River sounds so cute for a Romance-language speaker like me.

Also works for Yiddish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Kennel posted:

Something I learned today: Alaska was relatively livable (compared to Canada & Northern Eurasia) when people crossed the Bering Strait.

Also, that's a lot of extra land.

Thanks to this map I learned that central Alaska avoided glaciation: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/alaska-science-forum/why-was-interior-alaska-green-during-last-ice-age

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Being the first humans anywhere is pretty amazing in of itself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

warning huge

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Mercator did nothing wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The project to establish a panda reservation in the Taklamakan desert is going well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I guess if Russia and the Ukraine can't share Crimea, then no one gets to have it.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Duckbox posted:

Mercator did nothing wrong.

This map is for when a child needs to navigate a ship voyage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AgentF posted:

This map is for when a child needs to navigate a ship voyage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoVgQ82QcXY

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm mega-Hellespont

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I like the South China Islands. My fan fiction is north Borneo got dumped by the South after getting Luzon pregnant.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Beware the pig of Siberia!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chinese intercontinental rail network projects.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

I'm the invisible Scandinavia. Also, was this based on the old Risk map?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

"Yeah lets go through Kandahar, no problemo."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Achernar posted:

I'm the invisible Scandinavia. Also, was this based on the old Risk map?

No clue I found it on reddit and since I don't know what the rules on linking are I just rehosted it on imgur.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maps of how to get around NYC if you must drive a truck to do so:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Maps of how to get around NYC if you must drive a truck to do so:

Don't they make special GPS for this?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

"Yeah lets go through Kandahar, no problemo."

Also through both the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Cat Mattress posted:

gently caress yes, if they're gonna bankroll the renewal and modernization the Istanbul to Budapest section of the railway I, for one, bow down immediately to our new Chinese overlords!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/774100109747326976/photo/1

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also through both the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics.
Chinese engineering and planning sneers at your reality.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Shadowrun is going in a bold new direction

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm glad I realized just in time that's a puffin and not a penguin in Greenland,

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cat Mattress posted:

Can't wait to take a train from Brussels to Tokyo through Turkmenistan and Siberia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Plinkey posted:

Don't they make special GPS for this?

considering people don't read signs why would you think they read GPS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deltasquid posted:

Can't wait to take a train from Brussels to Tokyo through Turkmenistan and Siberia

A Djibouti-Osaka train cruise through West Africa, Europe, the Middle-East, India, South-East Asia, China, and Kamchatka sounds like the kind of things you'd put on your bucket list, honestly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

A Djibouti-Osaka train cruise through West Africa, Europe, the Middle-East, India, South-East Asia, China, and Kamchatka sounds like the kind of things you'd put on your bucket list, honestly.

Don't forget to pack a suitcase with ramen.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

most of that poo poo just looks like this existing thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Asian_Railway

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

cool new Metroid game posted:

most of that poo poo just looks like this existing thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Asian_Railway

It reminded me of Lyndon LaRouche's obsession with a world-wide rail system.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 6, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there one of those population dot maps but for Canada? Or even one of those racial dot maps for Canada?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there one of those population dot maps but for Canada? Or even one of those racial dot maps for Canada?

Presumably there are more maps like this for other Canadian cities, but a cursory googling didn't yield any immediate results

e: also the first map obviously isn't as granular as the American maps by far, I very much doubt that for example the population Northern Ontario with its mighty two people per square mile is that evenly distributed that there is no room left for green at all.

e2: this map is better, though it could stand to be a bit higher resolution:

e3: I also found this interesting map:

There's some small Category B areas in southern Yukon Territory, I wonder if they are actually used for agriculture

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 6, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

System Metternich posted:

e2: this map is better, though it could stand to be a bit higher resolution:

http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/e83ac2cf-8893-11e0-a3ad-6cf049291510
for the original pdf resolution (link is to a download page not the pdf itself), though I don't know if it fits with what the guy originally wanted :shrug:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

System Metternich posted:

There's some small Category B areas in southern Yukon Territory, I wonder if they are actually used for agriculture

There is some (very) small scale agriculture both in southern Yukon and around some of the larger communities in the NWT. The growing season is very short but that's mitigated a bit by the extremely long days. According to Statscan the biggest crops are hay and oats but you can get potatoes and some other hardy vegetables. Most of the local meat would be hunted but there's a fair amount of farmed chicken/eggs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Alberta seems to be the only province that developed very significant communities away from the border.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

Alberta seems to be the only province that developed very significant communities away from the border.

oil

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cool new Metroid game posted:

Well yeah, all such plans rely heavily on attempting to link up disconnected sections of as high grade as possible track/as important as possible transport corridors for maximum effect. At large scale, they'll tend to look very similar.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Randandal posted:

Why would people living in Siberia during the Ice Age choose to migrate any direction but southward?

If I had to choose between Henan and a frozen wasteland of endless ice and death over the Pacific I'd strap myself to a sled and go chase that reindeer so loving fast

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Cat Mattress posted:

I thought this map had to be inaccurate until I looked it up and Zaire existed for longer than I realized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS