Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You typed this, and yet, you seem to think "clean up after yourself" is a reasonable goal....interesting.

Power couple I feel is out of reach for goons since youd not have time nor legal freedom to be here.

I choose to believe one of us can learn to put the pizza box in the trashcan without being reminded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Power couple I feel is out of reach for goons since youd not have time nor legal freedom to be here.

Post from work.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

La Brea Carpet posted:

My (32f) husband (30m) (6 years) has suddenly become unhappy and even bitter with my job. He thinks I lack "ambition."

A 30 year old dude in STEM using the phrase "normies" reeks of new alt-right or MRA type influences. I'm sorry the only thing you can do is send him out back for the Ol' Yeller special.
The great thing about this story is that the answer to her question "Is there a problem here that I am just not seeing?" is a resounding and obvious YES, but there's not enough information for anyone to really know what the issue is. There are, however, plenty of details for people to go off on their own tangents projecting their pet peeves about lazy housewives, MRA stemlords, and financial imbalances in relationships. I'm going to take a different tack and focus on:

quote:

For the past 2 years, I've worked at a Catholic Church. As I grew with the community, got more involved, and made friends and became a part of a real time, it became more than just a way to pay the bills.
my husband and I are both atheists and have never had any connection with any kind of religious organization. But while we're both atheists, neither of us are the um... over the top kind of atheist, if you know what I mean. Other people being religious doesn't bother me, in fact I honestly admire religious traditions and enjoy participating in what I can.
"Oh, she couldn't attend this family event because (excessive quotation marks) """the church needs me""" and """the charity service needs more manpower""""

(He was referring to a point in time at which there was a small family event in a nearby town I couldn't attend because I had to work an event at the church. It was one event. It was an athletic meet for his cousin. Not exactly something important. I've been to plenty of them in the past.)
Maybe this has nothing to do with money or ambition and more to do with her job specifically being with a church and her increasingly treating it as not just a job but a community she feels a part of and is willing to sacrifice her family for. Maybe she's increasingly talking about how great her catholic charity is and it's getting to be really annoying to him as an atheist who thought he married someone who was also an atheist but he feels is drifting towards religion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Barudak posted:

I choose to believe one of us can learn to put the pizza box in the trashcan without being reminded.

what about "power couple OF SA" i.e. power posting couple

just dominating subforums left and right

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
If he feels that way he should say it instead of UGH MY WIFE THAT LAZY BITCH or whatever

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what about "power couple OF SA" i.e. power posting couple

just dominating subforums left and right

I'm surprised there aren't any. My wife sometimes asks me to show her some PYF threads but she's never wanted to post because she does stupid poo poo like reading books or hanging out with friends instead of shitposting on SA.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe this has nothing to do with money or ambition and more to do with her job specifically being with a church and her increasingly treating it as not just a job but a community she feels a part of and is willing to sacrifice her family for. Maybe she's increasingly talking about how great her catholic charity is and it's getting to be really annoying to him as an atheist who thought he married someone who was also an atheist but he feels is drifting towards religion.

maybe but that's pretty healthy, any well adjusted atheist would agree there can be positive sides to religion, such as community and a sense of purpose. my city has an existentialist church, a specifically non-denominational offshoot of the unitarians who are practically atheists already

if the husband is so wigged out over his wife's job at a religious organization that he's going to start sniping at her resentfully because she lost her atheist way or whatever, that's super not healthy

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

boner confessor posted:

maybe but that's pretty healthy, any well adjusted atheist would agree there can be positive sides to religion, such as community and a sense of purpose. my city has an existentialist church, a specifically non-denominational offshoot of the unitarians who are practically atheists already

if the husband is so wigged out over his wife's job at a religious organization that he's going to start sniping at her resentfully because she lost her atheist way or whatever, that's super not healthy

This can be generalized. The relationship is doomed because he snipes at her resentfully regardless of what his problem is.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

girl pants posted:

If he feels that way he should say it instead of UGH MY WIFE THAT LAZY BITCH or whatever
He did in his own passive aggressive way: "Oh, she couldn't attend this family event because (excessive quotation marks) """the church needs me""" and """the charity service needs more manpower"""" is absolutely whining about how she's putting the church above family and in fact implies that he doesn't think she's lazy. There's actually very little of his words in the post beyond individual words she picked out that bothered her recontextualized by her.

boner confessor posted:

There's a difference between "yeah I guess religious organizations can do good," "religious organizations can do good and I'm going to work at one" and "this religious organization I'm working at is the bestest and I'm doing so much great work here." They both agree on the first, she started off on the second and is drifting towards the latter (it's not clear where she currently is on the spectrum or how that manifests itself in daily life)

In any case the husband is absolutely terrible at communicating his actual concerns, whether they're about religion, her time, her etsy "job", how much money she makes, her ambition, his own job dissatisfaction, or some other unstated issue she decided not to write about. I'm not defending him here because I have no idea what his problem is or how exactly he's expressing it or how justified he is in his concern. Just pointing out he may be a different kind of insecure idiot than the money is what matters kind of idiot. The solution regardless is for both of them to sit down, communicate, listen and find a way to address both of their concerns whatever they may be.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"they aren't ambitious" literally always means "I want more poo poo"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

"they aren't ambitious" literally always means "I want more poo poo"
Or he wants her to move forward with her life but instead she's working at a church charity with no upward mobility or additional responsibilities and ambiguously makes "$500" per month from etsy. If you're 20 and carefree then whatever, but if you're older how does this turn into relevant experience or money? The etsy thing definitely could depending on what she is doing but the charity thing probably not given how she has described it.

I mean I can relate to her. My day job is pretty laid back and not that ambitious. The ambitious part of it is I can gain lots of knowledge and it's laid back. It lets me work on other things during my time.

The husband is also a jerk and resentful over something, but he hasn't communicated what.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Community is good, healthy, and even more important in this increasingly isolated age of technology consumerism, regardless of where exactly that comes. To tear that down simply because you don’t like the package it comes is small-minded and unhelpful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My ambition is to work as little as possible, I'm very ambitious about this goal. If that couple aren't struggling financially who gives a gently caress. If one person is making 20k a year and the other 5k a year that's going to cause stress and maybe the other person needs to do more towards getting their income up. But if one person makes 100k and the other person make 10k who gives a gently caress, you're set, settle down, enjoy life.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

My ambition is to work as little as possible, I'm very ambitious about this goal. If that couple aren't struggling financially who gives a gently caress. If one person is making 20k a year and the other 5k a year that's going to cause stress and maybe the other person needs to do more towards getting their income up. But if one person makes 100k and the other person make 10k who gives a gently caress, you're set, settle down, enjoy life.

the STEM mind reels at this concept

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised there aren't any. My wife sometimes asks me to show her some PYF threads but she's never wanted to post because she does stupid poo poo like reading books or hanging out with friends instead of shitposting on SA.

Jose and I are a power couple actually

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Baronjutter posted:

That's funny I have the same ambition and thus stress about money and would (genuinely) love to date someone who earns a lot of money. You have to work a lot if you don't make very much and some people spend 40-50 years working! This is insane to me and thus I need a better and more ambitious plan in the short term if I want us both to be able to retire by the time it's time to have kids.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Khorne posted:

Or he wants her to move forward with her life but instead she's working at a church charity with no upward mobility or additional responsibilities and ambiguously makes "$500" per month from etsy. If you're 20 and carefree then whatever, but if you're older how does this turn into relevant experience or money? The etsy thing definitely could depending on what she is doing but the charity thing probably not given how she has described it.

she doesn't necessarily value those things (tho there is such a thing as a career in non-profits and administrative work) and i bet that's the excuse the husband has when it comes to why he sticks to his less fun job

my read of that post is that they live in a cheap midwestern area and part of the appeal of living somewhere with a low cost of living is that you dont have to break your balls to have a comfortable life

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think I (15f) hurt my dad's (47m) feelings because I asked him when he is moving out

quote:

My parents sat me and my brother's down and told us that they are getting divorce. None of us are surprised because they argue 24/7 about EVER-Y-THING. lol They gave us a choice as to who we wanted to stay with. My brothers chose him and I chose my mom but my dad said that he wants to see me every weekend. They were talking about some other stuff and I was just zoned out thinking about how fun it will be with just me and my mom. I just blurted out, "so when are y'all leaving?" My mom laughed and said that was mean but I didn't mean it in a rude way. I was just asking when they were moving because I was excited for it to be just us two in the house. After that my dad has been really awkward towards me. He won't even look at me or talk to me. When he does talk to me it's just a short sentence that he says under his breath. I didn't mean to make him feel bad and now he's making me feel bad

TL;Dr Parents announced they are getting divorced, were talking about arrangements, I ask him when him and my brothers were leaving, I wasn't trying to be rude I was just excited about it being just me and my mom, dad won't look at or talk to me and I feel bad

Why sad, Dad?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My [28M] ex girlfriend [27F] says my dead grandfather told her we will get back together

quote:

Okay, so I was in this relationship for 3 years, two of which we never had one fight. Then the last six months things started to fall apart for reasons thay we're mostly my fault. We "broke up" the day after thanksgiving and she was instantly with another guy we had been friends with.

Que all the normal stuff, I make huge life changes, and big gestures. We talk about our relationship and for the past month have basically been better friends than we had been since July. I can go into details about how much time we spend together but I'm sure people just want to hear about the ghost.

Sometime ago she was apparently visited by my grandfather whom she had never met. I never used to believe in these things but she is very very accurate when she reads people.

Now this week we spent the night together in the same bed for most of the week. It was the first time we did this since the break. Now one morning she says she is asking the spirit of my grandfather about our future. According to her/him we will end up together and its "written in stone" but it wont happen for a year.

Now meanwhile she is still hanging out with this other dude, sleeping at his house sometimes, though she claims they have only had sex once and it was right after we broke up and that her and the dude are totally wrong for each other in everyway and she wont agree to be his girlfriend or whatever.

What the gently caress? I have no drat clue.

tldr: girlfriend says the ghost of my grandfather told her we will get back together. Don't know how to feel.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I know she’s the villain but that’s so audacious I’m actually kind of hoping she pulls it off.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know she’s the villain but that’s so audacious I’m actually kind of hoping she pulls it off.

The dude is already sleeping with her again, she did pull it off, and a year ahead of schedule!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I Was The Fury posted:

The dude is already sleeping with her again, she did pull it off, and a year ahead of schedule!

nah the year is probably when the new guy goes home from his study abroad or whatever

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

“Your grandpa says I need to bone this other dude for a while and THEN we’re destined for each other” lmao

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Is this the same one as in E/N or has Hell finally boiled over and the dead are starting to walk the earth?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Grandpa told me to open up the relationship

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

datajugend posted:

Grandpa texted me to open up the relationship

Fixed that for you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
My grandfather’s dying wish was that we have a three-way with your hot friend from work. Come on, you don’t wanna let my pop pop down, do you? He fought Hitler!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

My [28M] ex girlfriend [27F] says my dead grandfather told her we will get back together

In a weird way I bet their grandfather Tevye is looking down from the bosom of abraham proud that someone else could pull this stunt so successfully.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I got a fortune cookie that just said “you will have an opportunity”?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

I think I (15f) hurt my dad's (47m) feelings because I asked him when he is moving out

Why sad, Dad?

dad gone, so what?

Also:

quote:

I don't want to get rid of them. Of course I want to see them but it's gonna be so fun with just my mom. We can spend more time together, we can dress however we want without it being awkward, just like a long girls time

Poor Dad.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i knew a girl in college who would proudly tell us that god told her she was destined to be a pop star/date the hot dude with no interest in her/get whatever else she wanted. looking back i guess the problem was it lacked the personal touch.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Was I (31f) wrong in asking him (36m) about his past arrests? Seeing each other 2 months.

I know, short duration. That’s why I’m here because I don’t know if I crossed a boundary or if I was right in asking.

Met Brian through a dating app 2 months ago and things had been going well until last week when he was arrested for a DUI, had his license revoked and possession of marijuana (we live in a non-legal state). He had also quit his job the week before and hasn’t found work again yet. To his credit, he’s had a really hard time emotionally about this.

Anyway, I came to know about him having been arrested after he was let out, and was curious if there was anything else he was arrested for but did not tell me (he only mentioned one previous DUI when I asked). I found the old DUI plus two additional records of battery and one trespassing came up. Timing: One from a decade ago (simple battery) and the other from three years ago (simple battery + trespassing).

He asked to see me (not knowing I had done this) but I honestly didn’t feel 100% safe unless I knew what these charges actually meant.

So I asked for us to talk, I bring up these other past charges, and he tells me that he had broken into his ex’s apartment and broke her things. Then starts telling me that he didn’t need this from me right now and that he’s going through a lot. Before I could get a word in, he said goodbye and hung up (on me, I guess? Not sure since he did say bye).

Was I wrong in asking after only seeing him for 2 months? Or is this a red flag?

TL; DR: Asked the guy I’ve been seeing for 2 months about his past arrest records, did I cross a boundary too soon?

she comes to reason in the comments

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I got a fortune cookie that just said “you will have an opportunity”?

I'll take that any drat day over some goddamn advice like "show others your kindness" motherfucker this is an fortune cookie not an """advice" cookie! :rant:

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.
It came from interpersonal.stackexchange:

How to handle my girlfriend finding out about my second apartment? [on hold]

quote:

I love my girlfriend but my need for alone time to focus on my interests exceeds most individuals. We moved in together about 18 months ago (she moved across the country with me when I had a job opportunity so she does not have many friends in the area) and the first six months or so were fine but it quickly began to feel suffocating with her being there all the time (she works from home so I get almost no time to myself).

I have hobbies like painting and reading that my girlfriend scolds me for; she wants things that we can do together only. We do many things together, it's just that she expects us to do something every day which is difficult for me while also maintaining my other hobbies. I understand this on some level because she moved across the country with me when I moved for a job and has not made many friends here since she works from home.

About eight months ago, I secretly rented a second apartment in the same city and pretended I needed to travel for work two days a week for an extended period of time. Everything was going great until one of her friends saw me entering this apartment when I was "out of town".

Now my girlfriend thinks I'm cheating on her and I don't know what to do. I fear she'll leave me but I just want to find a good way to explain to her my need for alone time without hurting her feelings.

To put a cap on it:

She does not yet know the apartment is mine. I told her I had a hard deadline at work and was at a corporate apartment in the city for this week to focus, but that was an aberration and I am usually traveling (to clarify I am not).

What I would like to accomplish:

Tell her that I am not cheating on her and would never remain in a relationship if I had desires for other women.
Tell her about the second apartment and admit I was wrong for not telling her about it in the first place.

Ideally I would like to keep the apartment and the two days a week apart but would give it up in order to stay with her.

Is there any way this might be possible at this stage?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I mean that dude can bring those concerns up when starting a relationship and find people that are cool with it? It doesn't seem difficult. Present it like a painter's studio without the painting. :shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The GOP Delusion posted:

Why the gently caress do you want to be with someone that can't give you your own space? My fiancee paints, when the mood strikes her, I give her a bowl and she locks herself in her office/studio and goes to town. When I need time alone? I go into my office and close the door and unless she really needs something she leaves me the gently caress alone. People that have a constant need to be with someone else are insecure with themselves and need therapy.

The_end
May 17, 2014

The GOP Delusion posted:

I wonder how long it took this guy to make this lie up?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Really though how on earth do these people get into relationships in the first place? I'm absolutely baffled.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I rented a second apartment and lied about being out of town for work just so I didn't have to have a conversation with you about how I need alone time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_end
May 17, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

I rented a second apartment and lied about being out of town for work just so I didn't have to have a conversation with you about how I need alone time.

What type of rear end in a top hat can afford two apartments?