Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I think that a game with fuel ranges, three dimensional movement and Newtonian physics would be interesting if the game was like, say, Homeworld, where the design and engine were built from the ground up to support those concepts. Stellaris has always seemed like a "space is an ocean" type affair that's also running on an engine that debuted with Europa Universalis 3, a game that is noticeably unspacy. I just don't really know what people are expecting.

I'd love a 4x that was set entirely just in one realistic star system with planets zipping around and space combat and ship design that was kerbal space program with guns. Like a 4X The Expanse (wormhole!!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Isn't that literally Children of a Dead Earth? At least I think that game has some overworld strategy elements. I know the combat is hardcore fullsperg newtonian.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a 4x that was set entirely just in one realistic star system with planets zipping around and space combat and ship design that was kerbal space program with guns. Like a 4X The Expanse (wormhole!!!!)

I've always wanted a game that had the feel of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident or Homeworld and the kind of agent based economy that the X franchise pushes for, but still more or less 4x game. If it all took place within the scope of a single solar system that would be ever better.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really curious how good the aggressive troop AI will be. Will it actually eliminate troop ship micro or will it be some fussy thing that works most of the time but 10% of the time suicides all your transports so you still gotta babysit them

Well, I assume that the stance will only auto-invade within the system, just like aggressive stance on normal ships makes them automatically attack enemies in the system. So you'll still need to manually order ftl movement. Then if you get the hostile fleet in same system alert you babysit them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psycho Landlord posted:

Isn't that literally Children of a Dead Earth? At least I think that game has some overworld strategy elements. I know the combat is hardcore fullsperg newtonian.

Yeah it has rad combat but it's just little combat scenarios there's no like economy or empire management stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

You're in luck, because Aurora exists.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it has rad combat but it's just little combat scenarios there's no like economy or empire management stuff.

Ah, gotcha. I really should pick that up.

turn off the TV posted:

I've always wanted a game that had the feel of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident or Homeworld and the kind of agent based economy that the X franchise pushes for, but still more or less 4x game. If it all took place within the scope of a single solar system that would be ever better.

Total War: The Jupiter Incident is probably a little less 4x than what you're describing but reading this made me realize that it's the game I want most right now so thanks for that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really curious how good the aggressive troop AI will be. Will it actually eliminate troop ship micro or will it be some fussy thing that works most of the time but 10% of the time suicides all your transports so you still gotta babysit them

It's coded to only want to invade when odds are favorable enough that they shouldn't really have any chance to lose. That means you may have to order the assault yourself if you want to take a risk, but I feel that's a better approach.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a 4x with multiple giant galaxies, covering thousands of years and allowing you to control millions of space ships, but I feel your dream is more realistic than mine. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz you are a good game developer.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously, mad props. No matter what anyone says, just know that it's all worth it because after all this time, effort, criticism, and constant long nights stressing out, the transport name bug is finally fixed. Thanks, buddy. :)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Wiz posted:

It's coded to only want to invade when odds are favorable enough that they shouldn't really have any chance to lose. That means you may have to order the assault yourself if you want to take a risk, but I feel that's a better approach.

I agree. If there is no chance of failure then there is no choice to be made anyway. If there was any chance of failure there would be arguments over how much of a risk is acceptable & demands that it be adjustable via slider.

This lets you setup a siege fleet and every time it conquers a planet it just takes 2 clicks to select the fleet & choose the next target. The old system required 4 clicks to select & move the siege & transport fleets, checking back periodically for the fort. level to hit zero, a 5th click for invasion, and a sixth click to embark again.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think we can all agree that minimising the number of clicks should be the top priority ticket for 2.0.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fellblade posted:

I think we can all agree that minimising the number of clicks should be the top priority ticket for 2.0.

So in other words, I should make the game crash immediately on launch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alternatively, a clicking assistant that randomly clicks stuff for you.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Wiz posted:

That would be ok for the simple solution, but I think be would be better if it deleted boot.ini at a minimum to prevent future clicks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

What parts of the UI would you even change to make them more efficient? I can't think of anything really bad outside of the ship editor.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

What parts of the UI would you even change to make them more efficient? I can't think of anything really bad outside of the ship editor.

Building up a fleet from multiple spaceports.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wiz posted:

Ironically if you click really soon after launch, before the bar starts moving, it crashes

At least for me

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hunt11 posted:

Building up a fleet from multiple spaceports.

There are going to be fleet templates.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I would like to be able to reorganize poo poo myself in the planet side bar and the diplomatic list.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

There are going to be fleet templates.

I am so glad to hear that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I would like to be able to reorganize poo poo myself in the planet side bar and the diplomatic list.
Yes! Yes! This so much! Also in EU4 please.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm quite partial to Star Ruler's tab based design, you can open tabs across the top focused on anything from the different menus to systems in the game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fellblade posted:

That would be ok for the simple solution, but I think be would be better if it deleted boot.ini at a minimum to prevent future clicks.

I feel like the ideal solution would be full removal of the user’s fingers. No more clicking possible!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I'm quite partial to Star Ruler's tab based design, you can open tabs across the top focused on anything from the different menus to systems in the game.

How is that different than the tabs in Stellaris?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wiz posted:

Alternative: remove mouse support.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OddObserver posted:

But what if they end up clicking on other applications, or to do some super micro intense task like click the powet button to turn the computer off? This level of micro is not ok!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

OddObserver posted:

But then we'd have to use hotkeys!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Wiz posted:

But what if they end up clicking on other applications, or to do some super micro intense task like click the powet button to turn the computer off? This level of micro is not ok!

I think you need to create a mind-computer interface to remove all possible micro. It should be easy. You can make it a 5 buck DLC.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What's an ideal fleet composition look like? I've just been building a little bit of everything as a policy so far but it's really inefficient

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

How is that different than the tabs in Stellaris?

Stellaris doesn't have tabs?

Like it's got the control group things at the bottom but it's not the functionality I mean, all the things stellaris has in the drop downs at the top are tabs in star ruler and you can open and save whichever ones you want across the top of the screen, quite handy, and it saves your state in all of them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 6, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GorfZaplen posted:

What's an ideal fleet composition look like? I've just been building a little bit of everything as a policy so far but it's really inefficient

As many of the biggest ship you can make, using a mix of plasma/kinetic weapons, with enough cruisers or destroyers with point defense to take out missiles if you're facing someone with missiles.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any thoughts on adding Titans as a super late game research option?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

You can get fancy with it, or you can also just build as many cruisers as you can with all plasma and roll face. When you get battleships, throw some of those in there with Kinetic Artillery.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Wiz posted:

I feel like the ideal solution would be full removal of the user’s fingers. No more clicking possible!

Stimpire expansion confirmed.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
People always talk up plasma but am I doing okay going all kinetics? I don't like the idea of being gutted against shields, and I'm partial to the L-slot artillery.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Jabarto posted:

People always talk up plasma but am I doing okay going all kinetics? I don't like the idea of being gutted against shields, and I'm partial to the L-slot artillery.

That will work just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The game will shoot weapons at the target with the least penalty against that weapon. In practice, this means that your fleet with kinetics will spread out its fire, but if you also have plasma, they'll focus on a ship as soon as its shields go down.

• Locked thread