Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Alabama doesn’t deserve nice things, but is swimming in a vault of trophies. This loss will not affect them negatively.

However UGA losing after waiting 37yrs for a title would be crushing and hilarious.

roll tide?

Saban losing two in a row would be funnier imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Quandary posted:

What the hell is the M in MNC stand for I've been wondering this for years

This year the C stands for Consolation

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

Saban losing two in a row would be funnier imho

Game done passed him by, Pawl.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

LOL knew that was coming. Not like ours is barren tho.

Sometimes, I’ve gotta work for it, and sometimes, it just walks up and slaps me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Out of curiosity, why has the NCAA never awarded titles for football? Like, what is the difference between March Madness and the College Football Playoff? The number of teams? The way the teams are selected? Are there rules the NCAA would mandate on schools that they don't want to follow?

Dunno. I assume money and wanting to keep the bowl system intact.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vikingstrike posted:

Out of curiosity, why has the NCAA never awarded titles for football? Like, what is the difference between March Madness and the College Football Playoff? The number of teams? The way the teams are selected? Are there rules the NCAA would mandate on schools that they don't want to follow?

They do for FCS and the other divisions, so I assume there isn't enough teams.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

USA Today did one of those dumb little things where they let Twitter randos write the article for them about how Oklahoma's band plays Boomer Sooner a lot. OU's band is taking it in stride...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mean, everyone gets that they play other stuff at halftime or whatever, but there’s no denying that they play Boomer Sooner like 100x per game. I’m sure they’re all great dedicated kids, very proud.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
There’s so much salt there that Mt. Everest is no longer the tallest mountain in the world.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This game is basically going to be an Alabama-Michigan State redux right? It is impossible to out-Bama, Bama, their run defense is the best in the country and Georgia has a true freshman playing QB. This has 31-0 written all over it.

I'm so tired of the Alabama reign of darkness.

E: Donald Trump, Bama Football and a stadium built with enormous amounts of public funding to replace a 20 year old stadium built with enormous amounts of public funding. This game is just an amalgamation of all that ills the nation.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Sab0921 posted:

This game is basically going to be an Alabama-Michigan State redux right? It is impossible to out-Bama, Bama, their run defense is the best in the country and Georgia has a true freshman playing QB. This has 31-0 written all over it.

No, Georgia has about 10 times the talent that MSU team had and Bama's linebackers are all dead.

The coaches being interviewed anonymously about this matchup have it pretty close.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The game is gonna loving suck but it's fine, no one needs to watch it. We already have a national champion and they're extremely dope. Go Knights

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

Georgia has a true freshman playing QB.

Connor Cook, 2015:
56.1%, 3131 yards, 7.7 YPA, 24 TD, 7 INT, 136.6 QB rating

Jake Fromm, 2017:
65.7%, 2383 yards (admittedly), 9.2 YPA, 23 TD, 5 INT, 166.4 QB rating

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Noctone posted:

There’s so much salt there that Mt. Everest is no longer the tallest mountain in the world.

Nothing compared to the Salty Mons Olympus SEC fans are piling up in Orlando

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 5, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I’m pretty sure we also have a good enough defense to make Hurts win it primarily with his arm and not be able to extend plays as much. So like 10-6 SEC defensive barn burner

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

An improvement on what they were doing before? They've never awarded titles at the DI-A/FBS level, it's not something unique to the current system

I'm saying that it makes it more obvious that the playoffs as they are now are just a cash grab. Having a committee for just four teams is weird and unnecessary to me. They could've just kept the BCS computers and maybe fudged the formulas a little. The committee changes its criteria for the teams it puts in constantly, just to justify the teams it wants in. I could see having a committee for a six team playoff where it's the P5 champs + an at-large. I also don't like how it's basically impossible for a G5 team to make it, no matter how good they might be.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://twitter.com/CFTalk/status/949392101544005632

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

this fuckin rules.

gives urban meyer another title too

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Emron posted:

Sometimes, I’ve gotta work for it, and sometimes, it just walks up and slaps me.

You're alright Emron

For a bama fan anyway

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
*professes neverending hard-on over running football*
*game features 2 teams who excel in running the football*
"Aw man, this game is gonna be so lovely and boring".

:rolleye: this forum

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the mean lunch lady posted:

I'm saying that it makes it more obvious that the playoffs as they are now are just a cash grab. Having a committee for just four teams is weird and unnecessary to me. They could've just kept the BCS computers and maybe fudged the formulas a little. The committee changes its criteria for the teams it puts in constantly, just to justify the teams it wants in. I could see having a committee for a six team playoff where it's the P5 champs + an at-large. I also don't like how it's basically impossible for a G5 team to make it, no matter how good they might be.

most people hated the computers

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

most people hated the computers
They were idiots

The computers were fine EXCEPT that MOV wasn't included, and Billingsley was allowed

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Crotch Bat posted:

Pretty sure it's because the last decade has shown that only spread teams have any sort of success against Alabama, so this game is going to be a generic Alabama midseason game where they slowly choke the life out of an opponent who can't run on their defense.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

wait are you telling me the people saying "run the dang ball" weren't being ironic?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Crotch Bat posted:

If Bo hadn't broken his leg last year and lost his burst this game would be awesome. It'll still be good + i hope there's next to no throwing or read options and just power sets all day long

Bama's defense is the worst against the run I've ever seen (granted i didn't watcha lot of bama football until recently) so it should be good, unlike the michigan state teams where a bama copycat with 1/2 the talent went heads up and got steamrolled

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Sab0921 posted:

E: Donald Trump, Bama Football and a stadium built with enormous amounts of public funding to replace a 20 year old stadium built with enormous amounts of public funding. This game is just an amalgamation of all that ills the nation.

Cook never fully recovered from Maryland wrecking his shoulder, and Dave Warner is the worst loving play caller on the face of the planet.

Georgia may not win, but they should avoid 38-0.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Please let this open the floodgates

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

gently caress yes, just bought one.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT has not one but two, count 'em, two undefeated seasons in their history.

BRING BACK THE CASE
FILL IT THE gently caress UP

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

if yale and princeton get credit for a zillion championships from back when they used to play against high schools, YMCAs and rotary clubs, i believe all of these mid-majors should get championships

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Just booked tickets to Atlanta. Can't wait to spend this cash for a crushing Bama defeat

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I will buy a Tulane 1998 National Champions shirt.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

vikingstrike posted:

Just booked tickets to Atlanta. Can't wait to spend this cash for a crushing Bama defeat

best decision I ever made was not going anywhere near the 2015 semifinal

worst was not taking days off to go to the 2014 rose bowl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
2016 rose bowl would have been my favorite day ever as a sports fan if I had just skipped the actual game. Tailgating around the Rose Bowl with a sea of giddy Iowa fans was amazing. Then I walked in the stadium, took in the majesty of the Rose Bowl and surrounding mountains, and realized Christian McCaffrey was running right at me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

b-minus1 posted:

lol. that was before my time. I didn't even know this happened.

I forgot to respond to this, but it's even funnier when you realize that Tulane's undefeated season also unleashed Tommy Bowden on Clemson.

Also, Shaun King was a god that year.

I love this, but at least Tennessee was undefeated and won the SEC that year so it isn't quite analogous to the eventual UCF v Bama debate.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Chump Farts posted:

best decision I ever made was not going anywhere near the 2015 semifinal

worst was not taking days off to go to the 2014 rose bowl

Wife went to the Rose Bowl this year and obviously had a great time given the outcome.

Trying to decide how much I’ll spend on tickets to the game without feeling nauseous. I could always go party in Athens and watch the game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I love this, but at least Tennessee was undefeated and won the SEC that year so it isn't quite analogous to the eventual UCF v Bama debate.

Idk I want to think it’s funny because I think the UCF thing is hilarious but this just seems like a “me too!!!” kind of thing

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

I forgot to respond to this, but it's even funnier when you realize that Tulane's undefeated season also unleashed Tommy Bowden on Clemson.

Hey, he was better than Tommy West...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dumb title claims are a proud college football tradition, everyone who can find a dumb excuse to do it should. It's a sport with 124 teams that determines a champion with a four team tournament (and before that a 2 team one or no tournament at all!). Everything about it is dumb, go nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That Tulane season also introduced the world to RichRod and the zone read

Imagine being a DC and seeing the zone read for the first time

What do you think?

"Oh my gently caress"?

• Locked thread