Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I bet Palps would be a pretty cool dude to hang out with

One of the reasons he was elected to chancellor was because people wanted to have a beer with him more than his opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think when people say it's "boring" what they mean is the stakes of a trade agreement being struck or not isn't as interesting as the stakes of whether the galaxy will be freed from tyranny or not.

Although the actual stakes of the trade agreement were whether Palpatine would get more power, which he always does

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

What I think people are trying to say is that Star Wars is "supposed" to be this archetypal Campbellian adventure story with beats and characters that are dreamlike in their ur- simplicity: "The Evil Empire," "the captured Princess," "the Desert," "the Old Wizard," "the Dark Cave Where You Fight The Symbol of Evil and Then Really It's You Yeah That Seems Kinda Philosophical," etc.

Yeah, thats how I feel about it. There's nothing really wrong with trade disputes being a thing in Star Wars. I just...would rather it was something else, LOL. Its weird and i know its silly to feel this way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Minor correction, but that's wasn't Kiera Knightly anymore. She was only in TPM. The double who blew up in AOTC was played by Verónica Segura.

For the last time Jivjov, Starkiller Base is a Kiera Knightly in all but name.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Personally, I've never had a dream about inheriting a magic sword and going on a fantastical adventure. Does that actually happen? v :( v

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Corrosion posted:

The trade dispute embroils the characters in political intrigue, so the idea that once the Jedi are infringing on something that characters within the film view as "none of their business" means they have to die. It doesn't take up a lot of diegetic time for characters, but it absolutely is clear that there's a weight to the political situation. Qui Gon and Obi-Wan are not innocent observers, they're military/coercive agents, and the Trade Federation leaders recognize this.

A trade dispute isn't just politics to be debated, it's policy to be enforced and the attack is a way of conveying that tapestry. Other than that, you get the aforementioned talking heads, but no one's going to peacefully navigate the situation until Sidious/Palpatine begins his manipulations.

Thats cool and I have no beef with that. Its a good way to show that the Jedi are kinda shoving their weight around, thinking they can negotiate poo poo like this when they should be more concerned with freeing slaves, toppling dictators, etc. I get that its supposed to be Lucas' way of showing that, in the Prequels and in the events leading up to the OT, the Jedi weren't all shiny and perfect. So with this in mind, the trade federation and trade disputes are a decent place to start.

I just think clarity is important too, and is the situation all that clear? Like, why is the Trade Federation blockading Naboo, exactly? What treaty do they want Padme to sign, and what for? Maybe there's a reason that i missed, and maybe it's SUPPOSED to be opaque. I don't know.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of the reasons he was elected to chancellor was because people wanted to have a beer with him more than his opponent.

Theres not many Star Wars charecters I'd want to have a beer with.

Obi-Wan would probably cut your arm off

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Personally, I've never had a dream about inheriting a magic sword and going on a fantastical adventure. Does that actually happen? v :( v

people dream about lots of things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Yeah, thats how I feel about it. There's nothing really wrong with trade disputes being a thing in Star Wars. I just...would rather it was something else, LOL. Its weird and i know its silly to feel this way.

One thing I didn't entirely understand was why Amidala was elected as queen at the age of 14. A queen being 14 makes sense, and a queen being elected makes some sense (I believe the Kings of Malaysia are elected) but putting them together seemed like an odd choice to me.

My fanfiction idea would've been that Amidala wants to end the monarchy and join the Republic, but she has an illegitimate older brother or something who was passed over for the throne and resents that she's putting it out of his reach forever, so he asks his chums in the Trade Federation to blockade the planet and force her to abdicate so he can take over, and Senator Palpatine is playing both sides. That seems like more of a Flash Gordon thing to do.

Still, it's not a big deal. I think it's fine for the entire thing to start over something relatively petty like trade negotiations. It's not very exciting in my view, but maybe that's the point of it. :shrug:

Anyway, being interested as I am in numbers, I note that TLJ is expected to perform poorly in China. I know it wasn't expected to do well at all (because Star Wars doesn't have any meaningful history in China the way it does elsewhere) but as I've banged on about previously, I'm reasonably confident that TLJ won't be able to top Beauty and the Beast or Fate of the Furious and I think its inability to perform in China combined with its slowdown in North America may yet vindicate my expectation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

For the last time Jivjov, Starkiller Base is a Kiera Knightly in all but name.

My username is generally rendered with no capital letters. :)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Yaws posted:

Nevermind, I was thinking of George W. Bush. I always get those two confused for some reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

My username is generally rendered with no capital letters. :)

As unwavering as you are about what constitutes a Death Star, I am about capitalizing proper nouns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

As unwavering as you are about what constitutes a Death Star, I am about capitalizing proper nouns.

Not all proper nouns are capitalized. Look at the film mother! or the poet e e cummings.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AndyElusive posted:

Serious question: Did anyone ever encounter this much analysis on TPM anywhere on the internet before RLM did their review?

It's like now that RLM has extensively reviewed and nitpicked the PT it's almost become a goddamn meme unto itself for nerds of all shapes and smells to over analyze Star Wars.

Tell you the truth everyone already knew they were bad so there was no conversation to be had.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Not all proper nouns are capitalized. Look at the film mother! or the poet e e cummings.

Don't think I haven't given Aronofsky and the Cummings estate a piece of my mind. :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don't think I haven't given Aronofsky and the Cummings estate a piece of my mind. :argh:

Ahh, explains why there's so little left I kid, I kid

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You got me there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Darth Uber and Darth Lyft

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Is there a deinonychus-esque alien named Darth Saurus in the EU somewhere? Cuz that'd be my guy

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yaws posted:

Han would have a shot first.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My (re)interest in he prequels is a result of having HD versions available on a huge tv whenever I want and watching them approximately 20 times each over the last few years on sick days for my kids.

The main thing is I think tho Blue Ray quality on the huge tvs we have today. The don't look good on DVD on tvs in 2005.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I didn't entirely understand was why Amidala was elected as queen at the age of 14. A queen being 14 makes sense, and a queen being elected makes some sense (I believe the Kings of Malaysia are elected) but putting them together seemed like an odd choice to me.

My fanfiction idea would've been that Amidala wants to end the monarchy and join the Republic, but she has an illegitimate older brother or something who was passed over for the throne and resents that she's putting it out of his reach forever, so he asks his chums in the Trade Federation to blockade the planet and force her to abdicate so he can take over, and Senator Palpatine is playing both sides. That seems like more of a Flash Gordon thing to do.

Still, it's not a big deal. I think it's fine for the entire thing to start over something relatively petty like trade negotiations. It's not very exciting in my view, but maybe that's the point of it. :shrug:

Anyway, being interested as I am in numbers, I note that TLJ is expected to perform poorly in China. I know it wasn't expected to do well at all (because Star Wars doesn't have any meaningful history in China the way it does elsewhere) but as I've banged on about previously, I'm reasonably confident that TLJ won't be able to top Beauty and the Beast or Fate of the Furious and I think its inability to perform in China combined with its slowdown in North America may yet vindicate my expectation.

The holy roman emperors were "elected", I don't think the movies are ever like, also it was a free and fair election in which all were able to contest with universal suffrage etc

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Holy loving this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What a sad movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
No idea if any of this carries over into Story Group Canon, but legends stuff had an explanation that Naboo culture valued the idea of a young ruler who wouldn't be too jaded, with some older advisors that could temper any youthful excesses or whatever.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is another case where once again the EU answer is both the most straightforward and actually reinforces the interpretation nobody wants to admit---that the Republic has been the bad guys all along.

Basically Naboo is a paradise planet with a low population of wealthy homesteaders now that those filthy gungans have been driven underground and a handful of noble families who basically live like fairy-tale Kings and Queens (Padme and Sheev are both nobles from the same social milieu; Sheev as a young man enjoyed competitive racing in his tricked-out glider like Prince Harry doing Formula One or whatever). It's a population fully given over to leisure, I think they even mention tourism is the planet's main (only?) source of income. Padme really was elected by popular vote but the Queen (and they're all queens) is basically a just a centerpiece for ceremonies and parades and stuff--her powers are largely theoretical, or geared towards stuff like anti-litter campaigns, unless an actual immediate crisis for the planet breaks out. The Trade Federation blockade is the first crisis Naboo has faced in generations and nobody thought the Federation would have the balls to do it until they actually went and did it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

No idea if any of this carries over into Story Group Canon, but legends stuff had an explanation that Naboo culture valued the idea of a young ruler who wouldn't be too jaded, with some older advisors that could temper any youthful excesses or whatever.

Boss Nass didn't seem so young.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

What a sad movie.

I actually really liked Temple of Doom.

It blew my mind when I learned years later that it was actually a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Boss Nass didn't seem so young.

I was referring to the Humans of Naboo; I'm actually not sure what the ruler setup of Gungan culture is...I think Nass was an elected leader? But I'm not for sure.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AndyElusive posted:

I actually really liked Temple of Doom.

It blew my mind when I learned years later that it was actually a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I think you are confused.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

I was referring to the Humans of Naboo; I'm actually not sure what the ruler setup of Gungan culture is...I think Nass was an elected leader? But I'm not for sure.

I'm imagining it's like how the Irkins from Invader Zim elected their leaders. They chose the tallest/biggest. That or Boss Nass ate the competition.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tenzarin posted:

I think you are confused.

So were the film's creators, Temple of Doom takes place in 1939, but Last Crusade was also officially set in 1939 even while they were filming (initially only the end of the prologue on the Portuguese freighter was meant to take place in 1938) and somewhere along the line they realized.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Naboo is Hyrule after being discovered by the republic. Sheev is reincarnated Ganon, Amidala is Zelda. The gungans are Zora. Ganon stopped giving a gently caress about Hyrule when it became apparent there was a bigger Galaxy. He hand picked Anakin and caused his existence in order to have a right hand that hated sand as much as he did. The Naboo version of Link was one of the first in the trade federation concentration camps to die.

Snoke was basically just the Zant of the Galaxy, Ganon is feeding him power from where he is sealed.

Rey is girl Link reincarnated for this trial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Only if Finn is Tingle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maz is Impa

Yoda is Old Man

Next episode Rey is gonna find the master saber on Naboo

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Speaking of, did anyone catch DJ's line when he first opens the Canto Bight cell door and walks out?

It sounded alien to me, so I don't remember the exact sounds - like something Greedo or Sebulba would say. A dismissive "whatever" or "suit yourself." Was it one of their lines?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think you'll find that, according to the opening crawl, DEATH STAR should be all caps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So its just another lame movie trope I guess.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

So were the film's creators, Temple of Doom takes place in 1939, but Last Crusade was also officially set in 1939 even while they were filming (initially only the end of the prologue on the Portuguese freighter was meant to take place in 1938) and somewhere along the line they realized.

Pretty sure Temple takes place in 1935, Raiders in 36 and Last Crusade in 1939.

Tenzarin posted:

So its just another lame movie trope I guess.

Both Indy and Craig's Bond we're wearing it as a homage to Connery's Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just got out of the theater, TLJ had some pretty great highs (like the suicide ram goddamn) but wow the middle drags hard. I think I like Rogue One the most of the new ones so far.

Also the bird things look like my cat somehow