Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingNastidon posted:

Trying to catch-up on the DSA/leftist twitter drama of the day. Is the Timothy Faust/@crulge outrage just that he has a job in the field that his education is focused on and and is the area he's most knowledgeable about?

Yes. Also he has mentioned it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/949100087350710272

incoherent posted:

the most overt name dop of SA D&D
Who was he referring to?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KingNastidon posted:

Trying to catch-up on the DSA/leftist twitter drama of the day. Is the Timothy Faust/@crulge outrage just that he has a job in the field that his education is focused on and and is the area he's most knowledgeable about?

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/949466894146433025

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/razlime/status/949443075281227776

DSA extremely online people are mad at Amber now apparently.

DSA is too online. The constant drama reeks of amateur bullshit to me, a guy stuck in a super red area with zero DSA presence.

twitter was a mistake. DSA president Nick Mullen needs to get on top of this poo poo

Malaria fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 6, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
see, all that knowledge about how the insurance and health care industries work, he just pulled that knowledge out of the Aether using Psychic Energy. he willed the knowledge into his brain.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank there are two instances of this, where an earlier one involved him boasting one of the insurance companies and, which is where it started. It was solved a day before and was brought up by poor lefties wjo are being crushed by said premiums and being accused by fanboys of being either healthcare plants or ungrateful peasants . And there's the dishonest _Jordan one, which is happening today.

So of course the latter is being blamed on the earlier.

Also oh gee, turns out the dsa did listen to that "extremelly online" criticism and actually bothered to get feedback from the dsa disabilty ordeal for their disability related policies. Oh geez it's almost like they have a point and Amber is being super lovely there!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 6, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gover and friends

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Best part of that is the simultaneous belief that invading troops would both sustain only 15 losses AND be subject to attack from chemical and biological weapons.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
what exactly did the M4A proposal leave out about disability that was a concern, or was it just that a twitter account I'd not heard of until this incident with sub 3k followers didn't get contacted? not trying to be dismissive if there are real concerns in the proposal itself, but I am genuinely curious because I could see the oversight being the result of that WG not being exactly visible. it is good they're being contacted now because they receive the feedback and act on it, but if a work group with about the same amount of visiblity as loving DSA Dog Rates was overlooked in the decision making, the whole, "they're trying to silence the disabled community" cries are a little dramatic.

it's hilarious though seeing the comrades immediately go bloodthirsty about the fourth host of cum town saying something lovely on the TL in defense of her group's work because of this relatively unheard of work group wasn't contacted. i wouldn't be angry if she never brings it up, but it'd be cool if she does apologize for solidarity sake.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

what exactly did the M4A proposal leave out about disability that was a concern, or was it just that a twitter account I'd not heard of until this incident with sub 3k followers didn't get contacted? not trying to be dismissive if there are real concerns in the proposal itself, but I am genuinely curious because I could see the oversight being the result of that WG not being exactly visible. it is good they're being contacted now because they receive the feedback and act on it, but if a work group with about the same amount of visiblity as loving DSA Dog Rates was overlooked in the decision making, the whole, "they're trying to silence the disabled community" cries are a little dramatic.

it's hilarious though seeing the comrades immediately go bloodthirsty about the fourth host of cum town saying something lovely on the TL in defense of her group's work because of this relatively unheard of work group wasn't contacted. i wouldn't be angry if she never brings it up, but it'd be cool if she does apologize for solidarity sake.

blame social media

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Trabisnikof posted:

blame social media

https://twitter.com/Ruleyork/status/920139200791547904

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Guys, can you think for 5 seconds re: M4A and disabled people? If you're disabled, do you know what you ALREADY GET RIGHT NOW? Medicare. This is about expanding it to everybody. There was no reason to include people who're already the very specific subset of people included in Medicare. That's an actual defense of what went on with regards to someone forgetting to include the DSA's Disabled People Caucus or whatever.

Now the real poo poo: This person is just an annoying identity politics warrior who weaponizes his identity as 'disabled' in order to attack others dramatically as being 'ableist'. GUYS. HE'S SO loving ANGRY RIGHT NOW HE IS LITERALLY SCREAMING AND CRYING ON THE PHONE! LITERALLY!

https://twitter.com/petermorency/status/949449510824144896

These people aren't 'disabled' so much as they're goddamn drama queen tweens. They're mental and emotionally 13. They don't belong in the DSA in any position of prominence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I wouldn't say that Twitter was designed to neuter political movements, but it sure has that effect.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i don't give a poo poo if you publicly advocate universal healthcare, are taking action to make that a reality, etc. unless you're ruining your life to become the Purest Poster you aren't doing anything

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sounds like in order to fund his life of activism and public advocacy he made a deal with the Devil. Seems fitting.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Apoplexy posted:

Guys, can you think for 5 seconds re: M4A and disabled people? If you're disabled, do you know what you ALREADY GET RIGHT NOW? Medicare. This is about expanding it to everybody. There was no reason to include people who're already the very specific subset of people included in Medicare. That's an actual defense of what went on with regards to someone forgetting to include the DSA's Disabled People Caucus or whatever.

Now the real poo poo: This person is just an annoying identity politics warrior who weaponizes his identity as 'disabled' in order to attack others dramatically as being 'ableist'. GUYS. HE'S SO loving ANGRY RIGHT NOW HE IS LITERALLY SCREAMING AND CRYING ON THE PHONE! LITERALLY!

These people aren't 'disabled' so much as they're goddamn drama queen tweens. They're mental and emotionally 13. They don't belong in the DSA in any position of prominence.

under M4A wouldn't services for disabled people improve because they'd be in a massively expanded bargaining pool (everyone in the US)?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

padijun posted:

under M4A wouldn't services for disabled people improve because they'd be in a massively expanded bargaining pool (everyone in the US)?

Yes.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The concern by the folks involved isn't about whether M4A would serve disabled people (it will), it's that the organizing manual would not be taking in account the needs of disabled members sufficiently. As in, the tactics and suggestions of like actual campaign work.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

the next tweet is more relevant to the thread:

https://twitter.com/petermorency/status/949452848345083904

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
here I think I can do a transcript of the latest episode:

*a bunch of idiots yelling over each other about the noid*

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm sorry, but... Maybe podcasts aren't for the deaf. Blind people don't get to enjoy great artistic paintings. The deaf don't get podcasts. It's fine. Move on with your loving life.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, Chapo should pay me to transcribe their episodes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Apoplexy posted:

I'm sorry, but... Maybe podcasts aren't for the deaf. Blind people don't get to enjoy great artistic paintings. The deaf don't get podcasts. It's fine. Move on with your loving life.

Yes, those are to perfectly comparable examples, and there’s no possible way to try to meet the needs of the deaf.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Easier solution: Get some form of UHC in place. Give every deaf person that cochlear implant. Ya got ya podcast, ya got ya deafness fixed, bing-bang-boom, no need to transcribe poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Easier solution: Get some form of UHC in place. Give every deaf person that cochlear implant. Ya got ya podcast, ya got ya deafness fixed, bing-bang-boom, no need to transcribe poo poo.

I don't think the Big D Deaf community will be down with that solution.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Big D Deafers are weird morons who do things like spend their life savings to go to a foreign country to forcibly surgerically deafen their normal child. I don't much care about them any more than I care about what the bug chasing community has to say about the right to intentionally catch HIV.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

imagine being fuming mad at someone for a podcast

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

chapo, hire this woman

https://i.imgur.com/vlfIGlx.mp4

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Excuse me, but can you please translate this video into an audio experience for the seeing-impaired? TIA

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Apoplexy posted:

Excuse me, but can you please translate this video into an audio experience for the seeing-impaired? TIA

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Eyy, I'm seein' double 'ere-- EIGHT gifs of d'ohs!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Crotch posted:

Actually, Chapo should pay me to transcribe their episodes.

But doesn't red kahina already do it for free?

Trabisnikof posted:

gover and friends

Lol classic. Have they ever mentioned his house?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Big D Deafers are weird morons who do things like spend their life savings to go to a foreign country to forcibly surgerically deafen their normal child. I don't much care about them any more than I care about what the bug chasing community has to say about the right to intentionally catch HIV.

what the god drat gently caress are you talking about

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Breadallelogram posted:

what the god drat gently caress are you talking about

there's a genuinely huge rift in 'deaf culture' where you have a small, very vocal, side who base near their entire identity on it who get angry at things like hearing aids for being 'genocide' and insist that deaf people shouldn't have non-deaf kids because it kills the 'culture'. It's an extreme minority but 'capital D Deaf' is a genuine thing.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yes, those are to perfectly comparable examples, and there’s no possible way to try to meet the needs of the deaf.

Podcasts are incredibly hard to transcribe, a lot of youtube channels that do it rely on fans using the existing subtitle system on the platform to help, there's nothing like that for podcasts and considering how many of them are just 'some people sit around a table and riff with zero visual component' yea that's a pretty big task.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Real transcription services also cost a fortune. Chapo could maybe afford it but they aren’t the official podcast of dsa so I get why they don’t think it’s necessary

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

I don't much care about them any more than I care about what the bug chasing community has to say about the right to intentionally catch HIV.

Do bug chasers listen to pozcasts?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

there's a genuinely huge rift in 'deaf culture' where you have a small, very vocal, side who base near their entire identity on it who get angry at things like hearing aids for being 'genocide' and insist that deaf people shouldn't have non-deaf kids because it kills the 'culture'. It's an extreme minority but 'capital D Deaf' is a genuine thing.

that's some wild poo poo

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sexpig by night posted:

Podcasts are incredibly hard to transcribe, a lot of youtube channels that do it rely on fans using the existing subtitle system on the platform to help, there's nothing like that for podcasts and considering how many of them are just 'some people sit around a table and riff with zero visual component' yea that's a pretty big task.

I think it’s totally reasonable to say “this is too expensive and time consuming for our current setup to handle”, writing it off as “those people just don’t get to enjoy podcasts so they can gently caress off” is a very silly take.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Breadallelogram posted:

that's some wild poo poo

yea to be clear these guys are like most insane people online, it's like 90% just the same ten weirdos screaming at each other and sometimes someone reblogs a 'my take on hearing implants for babies' post they think is good without realizing the writer compares 'I'd like my baby to hear' with the holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I think it’s totally reasonable to say “this is too expensive and time consuming for our current setup to handle”, writing it off as “those people just don’t get to enjoy podcasts so they can gently caress off” is a very silly take.

No one actually did that though except the one guy in this thread.