Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chop Sunni posted:

Honestly get a cheap rift, you might be able to get a pre-touch model for next to nothing now. Failing that, get facetrack (or cheap opentrack/ps3eye cam/headset) and set up head tracking on your regular monitor.

Elite with headtracking is fun, in VR its fun, but on the Glyph, at least, it's gorgeous but I don't reckon very playable for long sessions with the tiny FOV.

I'm going to give this company a solid shot at getting these working for me because I like their ergonomic design, but I am starting to suspect that this is a mothballed project (it can't really compete with the Vive/Occulus) and they are only trying to dump all of their inventory asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do people aim so well in pavlov? Between picture clarity and hand eye coordination Im lucky if I manage to randomly spray someones legs off, but theres players who'll headshot me from a distance with a deagle the moment they spot me. I heard there was a virtual shouldering thing to steady your aim but I couldnt get it to work.
Keep both your eyes open, practice, and use forgiving weapons with good iron sights and low recoil like the MP5 and M4. When hip-firing, you can also walk your tracers onto a target. The Deagle is accurate and powerful but the sights suck. The P90 is easymode aiming but does so little damage (and has just enough recoil) that it's not very rewarding despite this unless you nail headshots reliably. The virtual stock is a toggle setting in the options, but IMO it's a crutch at best; you shouldn't need it and good players aren't using it.

Alternatively, just practice with the new semi-auto shotgun until you don't even have to use the sights. I love that thing.

TDM is good for practicing on particular weapons without any pressure before going into S&D.

Some people just have tens/hundreds of hours of practice in with the deagle and are always going to be comparatively fearsome. The best tactic there is to outmaneuver them. If you're dying the instant someone turns a corner a lot in S&D, it's also probably because you're in a very predictable place and they were aiming before they even saw you.

At the end of the day, aiming in VR is a skill just like, but different than, aiming in a flat FPS. I'm sure when you first started getting into flat FPSs you were wildly inaccurate as well.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do people aim so well in pavlov? Between picture clarity and hand eye coordination Im lucky if I manage to randomly spray someones legs off, but theres players who'll headshot me from a distance with a deagle the moment they spot me. I heard there was a virtual shouldering thing to steady your aim but I couldnt get it to work.

Consider adding some super sampling, it tends to help with picture clarity. There is a setting in advanced settings where you can turn it up. I personally stream out all my VR with frame timings (SteamVR's settings to display frame timing) and taskmanager (showing CPU and GPU utilization) on screen so I can go back and see when I dropped frames/reprojected.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I suggest trying a game like Space Pirate Trainer, which compels you to aim and shoot at lots of moving targets, but quickly. A couple hours in that made shooting fairly easy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pavlov has proven difficult for me for the same reason I have trouble shooting at practice ranges IRL: I'm amblyopic, which means in my case that when my right eye is open, the vision from my left eye is deadened, because I never learned to merge the two images into a stereoscopic 3D picture. So I'm like the people who close one eye to ADS, except all the time.

Pavlov is hard :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also thanks for the advice on the TPCast transmitter. The cables are too drat short for me to get it up very high :argh:, but I was able to get it high enough to have LOS in 90% of the room. Made quite a remarkable difference, even with the router just sitting wherever.

Next thing I have to figure out is why the headset will lose tracking while the controllers (and the sound) continue to work. Not sure if it's a lighthouse thing or what, I'll have to check later.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

Pavlov has proven difficult for me for the same reason I have trouble shooting at practice ranges IRL: I'm amblyopic, which means in my case that when my right eye is open, the vision from my left eye is deadened, because I never learned to merge the two images into a stereoscopic 3D picture. So I'm like the people who close one eye to ADS, except all the time.

Pavlov is hard :(

So leave your eyes open. You’ll get the hang of it :)

Also try something like stand out. You can run around alone a lot longer messing with guns and scopes

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just noticed something in Stand Out. Does the M4 charging handle cycle each time you fire? Because lmao

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh gently caress son. I bet we’ll get hosed as far as selling off the existing units since they’d be insane not to drop the price to an oculus comparable level.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got Soundboxing due to all the praise in the thread. Played some this morning, initially I was confused and was thinking "this is more like sound yoga or something" but then I saw the strength meter :sweatdrop:

Seems pretty great, felt like there was a lack of prog rock but I didn't have time to look around too much.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

SwissCM posted:

The script extender doesn't work, sadly.

Someone made a VR version of Place in Red here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28670

Thanks for that! Has it worked well for you? It has removed the red for me but not actually allowed me full placement freedom strangely enough. Seems like it's a little better though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Brightman posted:

Got Soundboxing due to all the praise in the thread. Played some this morning, initially I was confused and was thinking "this is more like sound yoga or something" but then I saw the strength meter :sweatdrop:

Seems pretty great, felt like there was a lack of prog rock but I didn't have time to look around too much.

Yeah Soundboxing hasn't made it very clear how you're "supposed" to play it, I'm still pretty confused beyond "hold controller in roughly the right general area"

At least it was cheap :shrug:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah Soundboxing hasn't made it very clear how you're "supposed" to play it, I'm still pretty confused beyond "hold controller in roughly the right general area"

At least it was cheap :shrug:

When you start a round. Move the controls so they fit like gloves kinda.
Punch the air bubbles.
Harder you punch. More points you get.

Agreed, It needs a "Hey this is how you play". But its not complicated, its search just kinda sucks.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I wish soundboxing had some way to restrict how widely it spreads the targets-- what's the point of spawning ones outside of your guardian bounds?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Seashell Salesman posted:

I wish soundboxing had some way to restrict how widely it spreads the targets-- what's the point of spawning ones outside of your guardian bounds?

I feel like theres some scale setting that can address that for smaller spaces and smaller people. I know theres some hilariously fun tracks made by a guy clearly 4-6 inches taller than me, so I literally have to jump at "full scale". Its pretty fun.

Never used it, But I hear its there.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
The Infinadeck is looking a lot smaller than it used to. Still huge though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHmSC-MeGA

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Exioce posted:

Neat. That's what i imagined VR setups would be like back in the early 90s or whatever when i saw a documentary about it. I'd buy one of those provided they aren't super noisy and extremely costly.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Orbus VR is pretty fun so far. I'm still in the newbie area but the combat feels fun. It's kind of like the medieval mini-game from Rec Room but an MMO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Exioce posted:

The safety ring around the player is way too narrow, I'd be punching that all the time.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Neat. That's what i imagined VR setups would be like back in the early 90s or whatever when i saw a documentary about it. I'd buy one of those provided they aren't super noisy and extremely costly.

Literal and figurative and even more figurative baby steps.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've changed current and all future recommendations for new VR buyers with money to burn to buying a Vive. Pucks are awesome.

Holy gently caress do the pucks add so much to VRChat. Being able to hook your hips and feet up makes poo poo much better

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyTransparentMetal4Head

I'm hoping more and more games add this, the future of kicking poo poo is just around the corner, I know it!

From what little I experienced in demos, kicking stuff in VR is incredibly satisfying and is something Oculus users are not likely to experience any time soon.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 6, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That doesn't look like it's worth an extra 200 dollars or whatever.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cojawfee posted:

That doesn't look like it's worth an extra 200 dollars or whatever.

The pucks are $99 each so 300 for both feet and a butt. I'd consider it if they were 60 each.

It's too bad the Kinect adapter is no longer in production and they're hard to find or expensive now. Apparently that works in VRChat for full body tracking.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
100 for each puck, plus the 150-200 extra for the headset and lighthouses, and whatever the cost for the deluxe audio strap, compared to the rift.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dunno wtf is going on in the video but also the idea of VRchat sounds like some kinda digital hell to me. I'm already ambivalent about VR multiplayer without going near anything like Second Life.

Is Kinect tech locked down and thrown away? I screwed around with using a Kinect to do cheap motion capture and I'd think taking it a bit further would be a natural inclusion in next VR generation of hardware. Pairing high quality hand tracking with lower quality body tracking seems like a good middle ground to some kinda actual body suit or hanging a bunch of sensors off your body.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 6, 2018

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I dunno wtf is going on in the video but also the idea of VRchat sounds like some kinda digital hell to me. I'm already ambivalent about VR multiplayer without going near anything like Second Life.

Yeah I don't get it either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PerrineClostermann posted:

100 for each puck, plus the 150-200 extra for the headset and lighthouses, and whatever the cost for the deluxe audio strap, compared to the rift.

1000 dollars for a Vive, audio strap, and three pucks,.

FuzzySlippers posted:

When the headsets first came out, Altspace was kind of cool. It was just regular people hanging out and talking about how cool VR is. Whenever I see a video about VRChat, it looks like some horrific weeaboo disaster.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Whenever I see a video about VRChat, it looks like some horrific weeaboo disaster.

Same. I have a buddy who keeps telling me "Grab it, its a lot of fun".

I just cant download it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah I don't get it either.
We covered this, 9 pages ago:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PunchyAthleticEagleUWot

Gaben knows his market!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

So leave your eyes open. You’ll get the hang of it :)

Once I learned this I think I got twice as good at shooting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

When the headsets first came out, Altspace was kind of cool. It was just regular people hanging out and talking about how cool VR is. Whenever I see a video about VRChat, it looks like some horrific weeaboo disaster.

When I first got my headset, I used VRchat. It was basically people hanging out, but they're all nerds. And that's great for me.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I dont know if it’ll ever happen, but it would be great if TV shows could one day scan in their sets so we can move around in them. Obviously their time is long past, but I’d love to explore the parks and rec office in Pawnee, or Downton Abbey or any other number of locations. Hopefully we at least get The Orville ship in the coming years.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I dont know if it’ll ever happen, but it would be great if TV shows could one day scan in their sets so we can move around in them. Obviously their time is long past, but I’d love to explore the parks and rec office in Pawnee, or Downton Abbey or any other number of locations. Hopefully we at least get The Orville ship in the coming years.

Star Trek: Ten Forward And Those Little Hotel Chairs In The Hallway Intersections Crew

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

GlyphGryph posted:

I've changed current and all future recommendations for new VR buyers with money to burn to buying a Vive. Pucks are awesome.

Holy gently caress do the pucks add so much to VRChat. Being able to hook your hips and feet up makes poo poo much better

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyTransparentMetal4Head

I'm hoping more and more games add this, the future of kicking poo poo is just around the corner, I know it!

From what little I experienced in demos, kicking stuff in VR is incredibly satisfying and is something Oculus users are not likely to experience any time soon.

I've spent a lot of time the last few days watching VRchat videos. That type of stuff there is why I'm getting more excited about VR. Grand epic things sure, but some stupid fun stuff as well. Get some eye tracking in there and now you have even more translation to your avatar. The pucks are expensive now, but if VR continues to take off there's gonna be generic 3rd party pistols and rifles and stuff with it all built in you'll be able to buy for a reasonable price.

I'm building a new gaming PC this month, with the intent of getting the next new Nvidia card to upgrade from my 970 when it comes out. The teaser from HTC today has me super goddamn excited. I've been waiting for the next gen Vive to jump on board and hopefully it's something coming out by Q2. So much cool stuff has been coming out recently the last few sales have been super tempting. Time to consider what furniture to get rid of...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
VR Megathread: Time to consider what furniture to get rid of

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

That's my secret, I don't have any furniture.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

VR Megathread: Time to consider what furniture to get rid of

I cut my mattress in half

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

EbolaIvory posted:

I feel like theres some scale setting that can address that for smaller spaces and smaller people. I know theres some hilariously fun tracks made by a guy clearly 4-6 inches taller than me, so I literally have to jump at "full scale". Its pretty fun.

I'm like 6'2" and there's still some tracks where I'm like "you motherfucker, why did you do this" in terms of how far apart the beats are in various directions.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I don't think I could ever be arsed to put pucks on my feet for a gaming session, just so I could kick at things. I sure it's fun, but putting on controller wristbands and getting the oculus remote about me (for volume control) is enough already.

Played some Dead & Buried this eve for the first time in ages, it's nice to know there's still something of a player base for an oldy like that. It's still the best VR instant gratification app I've encountered.

e: also I finally got around to starting the Unspoken single player campaign. It's cool! Basically what I expected, some nice story/character stuff with great environment visuals and effects, interspersed with some pretty typical Unspoken gameplay... The really cool thing is how they've integrated the campaign into your apartment so that you can just pick it up whenever, and as you progress it's all there for you to step back into as you like. They really are good at world-building.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Darke GBF posted:

I'm like 6'2" and there's still some tracks where I'm like "you motherfucker, why did you do this" in terms of how far apart the beats are in various directions.

Right? Then somehow theres 90 people with 100%s on it and you're like "HOW?!"