Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

IronicDongz posted:

He said "if only to be the first TAZ character death", though.

Then why Travis specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffleman_ posted:

You are making a big deal out of nothing.

EDIT: Oh, also here's another really good musical TAZ animation. Two in less than a week! Warning: this one's kind of a bummer. Balance spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJYV9nHGrjE

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 6, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Waffleman_ posted:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Does it help that I think Travis would take his character dying in stride, and would be the best sport about it when starting a new character?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fine, I'll drop it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
In MBMBAM-ancillary news, Elizabeth Gilbert's partner has died at 57.

Author Elizabeth Gilbert Announces Her Partner Rayya Elias Has Died
https://jezebel.com/author-elizabeth-gilbert-announces-her-partner-rayya-el-1821803225/amp

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

misadventurous posted:

Wasn't Stupid Taako basically just Regular Ol' Taako but once in awhile he'd call himself a "humble idiot wizard" or something?

Guys! Guys, bad news. I lost my legs!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/cartoonhangover/status/949389957340303360

So Justin is apparently in this!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

So Justin is apparently in this!

Man, Justin is getting all the gigs. Travis and Griffin better catch up if they wanna be in Trolls 2.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Griffin's workin' on it ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdoBCWFDAkc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is this a cartoon with a mentally disabled protagonist? Or does the fact he's silent since this is a video about someone else's lines give that false impression?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

Frankly, I'm also curious if this is the arc where a player character dies. I don't think it will happen during this mini-arc of course, but maybe if they go with this one for the full thing. The reason I'm curious about it is because Griffin made it sound like the characters are a lot more fragile in this system, and that there are better systems in place for death. Not like DnD where character death is basically just a big bummer.

PbtA is an interesting system because it's pretty easy to die, but unless you have exceptionally bad luck, you also don't have to give up your character until you as a player are actually ready to do so. Apocalypse World, the original game, gives you about four or five codified ways to come back from the dead and most of the other variants follow suit. It's entirely possible we'll have a character die, but it's less likely that they'll stay that way. That could be interesting in its own way too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is this a cartoon with a mentally disabled protagonist? Or does the fact he's silent since this is a video about someone else's lines give that false impression?
Clarence is something, that's for sure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Think of the sports!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

PbtA is an interesting system because it's pretty easy to die, but unless you have exceptionally bad luck, you also don't have to give up your character until you as a player are actually ready to do so. Apocalypse World, the original game, gives you about four or five codified ways to come back from the dead and most of the other variants follow suit. It's entirely possible we'll have a character die, but it's less likely that they'll stay that way. That could be interesting in its own way too.

Speaking of interesting death mechanics, I'm a big fan of how Tenra Bansho Zero handles player death. You have a "wound track" that you can channel damage points into away from your Vitality, and the further along the wound track you go the stronger your character gets. The final tick on the track is "Dead", which gives you the biggest boost of all, to have your character go out in a blaze of glory. But it's entirely up to you whether or not to check that box, because if you reach zero Vitality your character just passes out for the rest of the combat encounter.

It's a fairly complex and somewhat obtuse system so it'll never be a good fit for the Adventure Zone, but the character generation is so flexible and varied that they could probably make some very inventive characters with it, too.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i think it's less, "fire powers are going to kill a player character" and more, "they will probably burn down a resort or some part of the town/forest and have to deal with the consequences of potential NPCs burning to death," like the first arc's ending in TAZ.

i also think travis having lame pets is a weird brain bug that makes a detail that isn't nessacary. him begging for a dog in TAZ's early days sucked rear end and i hope griffin nips it in the bud with it getting burnt to a crisp by travis's powers in the manifestation of her powers or is eaten by the tentacle-wendigo to keep him on track. also people can cheer when he goes to make a big action and says, "this is for you, dr. dipshit"

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I will not stand for this negativity around Dr. Bonkers :colbert:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

New Butt Order posted:

Based on the source material (Buffy/Angel/Supernatural) yeah there will be no problem coming back from the dead, albeit somewhat changed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i think it's less, "fire powers are going to kill a player character" and more, "they will probably burn down a resort or some part of the town/forest and have to deal with the consequences of potential NPCs burning to death," like the first arc's ending in TAZ.

i also think travis having lame pets is a weird brain bug that makes a detail that isn't nessacary. him begging for a dog in TAZ's early days sucked rear end and i hope griffin nips it in the bud with it getting burnt to a crisp by travis's powers in the manifestation of her powers or is eaten by the tentacle-wendigo to keep him on track. also people can cheer when he goes to make a big action and says, "this is for you, dr. dipshit"

Yes, there's something mentally wrong with Travis because he gave his character a pet and Griffin should kill it immediately. This isn't a weird thing to say in the slightest.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Thank Travis for Travis.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

There are times when someone posts something on these forums and I can’t imagine how they looked at their post and said: “Yes, this is a normal thing to think.” This is one of those times.

EDIT: Waffleman, come back! We should have listened!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ojjeorago posted:

Thank Travis for Travis.

He's the best brother.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

this thread gets super loving weird about travis

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Griffin seemed completely on board with the rabbit

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if you aren't on board with dr harris bonkers, i can't know you

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm perfectly willing to believe Travis started with a cute rabbit pet, then reverse engineered a stage magician from that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Not Operator posted:

I'm perfectly willing to believe Travis started with a cute rabbit pet, then reverse engineered a stage magician from that.
I'm guessing the shell of the character was "stage magician, can pull a rabbit out of a hat, but the rabbit is a good, good pet"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Travis needs to get some goddamn voice work, he's being left behind by Justin and Griffo.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Justin gonna Mark Hamill himself outta the game.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/949725221375959040

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Travis is terrible.

He's the embodiment of a I loving Love Science post writer. His last character in the superhero arc was described as extremely rational and smart, though he's not capable of either as a player. Take off your ally safety pin and pack it up, Travis.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

Travis is terrible.

He's the embodiment of a I loving Love Science post writer. His last character in the superhero arc was described as extremely rational and smart, though he's not capable of either as a player. Take off your ally safety pin and pack it up, Travis.

Travis always makes me think of the white boards in the Workaholics writer's room of phrases that you need to stop doing in comedy. Travis is the embodiment of those boards.
https://twitter.com/John_Quaintance/status/799751549610168320/photo/1

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tough but fair

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
his character was mr. fantastic in a symmetra skinsuit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
jesus loving christ

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Travis is terrible.

Go outside.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Travis is terrible.

you sound like a VERY cool guy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why are so many people coming out of the goddamn woodwork today to be this terrible

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I had no idea people had such strong opinions on this. lol.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I am going to give Travis McElroy a stiff hooking lariat followed by a devastating sit-out powerbomb for the pin

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Travis is the normie brother and the podcast wouldn't be nearly as funny without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's not really normie, if say he has a very alt hipster type style