Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanakyris
Aug 22, 2015
I'm not sure but maybe you know Melth: The lore surrounding shouting was originally introduced around the release of Redguard, yes? Cause Redguard seems to be the dividing point between the classic Elder Scrolls and the modern. Or was it an Arena/Daggerfall era thing as well?

Either way, I always like it when they throw some classic TES stuff into the newer games, like taking an oath frequently uttered in Daggerfall ("By the Hoarfather...") and referencing it in some of the Word Wall texts, possibly as another name for Shor, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

the greybeards taking 5 minutes to train you and letting you use acts of violence with no consequences whatsover

It is pretty funny that they tell you that the voice must never be used for the benefit of men, only to praise the gods, and then "hey, do whatever you want with the voice, you're dragonborn so everything you do praises the gods by default".

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Qrr posted:

It is pretty funny that they tell you that the voice must never be used for the benefit of men, only to praise the gods, and then "hey, do whatever you want with the voice, you're dragonborn so everything you do praises the gods by default".

But that's them sort of being sensible. What I like is that then they're total hypocrites and try to stop you precisely when you're actually doing what the gods want because they don't want to admit that their whole philosophy of sitting around while the world burns is not actually divinely approved.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Qrr posted:

The Dragonborn is a divine being, so everything he/she does for his own benefit, is done to praise and glorify the gods.

This seems to be the logic.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Guy Fawkes posted:

The Dragonborn is a divine being, so everything he/she does for his own benefit, is done to praise and glorify the gods.

This seems to be the logic.

Then why does he/she get thrown in jail?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

That's just by humans who don't know any better.

Thinking about it, that theory makes a bit more sense given that in Oblivion the Gods wouldn't heal or bless you if you were unknown or enough of a bastard.

In Skyrim they don't seem to mind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When Melth shouts it sounds like "Boosh!" to me.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

ApeHawk posted:

If a god came down to earth I'd still be pissed if they stole my stuff.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe it's a difficulty difference (I don't usually play on Legendary due to it dragging fights out for far too long), but when I've gone up High Hrothgar at low level, the mandatory Frost Troll is usually the only dangerous encounter on the 7,000 Steps. Otherwise, it's mostly spiders, wolves, and the occasional ice wolf.

You say that the cultists "don't count" because the guards did most of the work, but you count that dragon you lured into an Imperial base specifically so that the soldiers could do most of your dirty work...

Melth posted:

This touched upon something about Skyrim’s dragon language thuum thing I’ve always disliked. See the notion that masters of the voice couldn’t speak without causing devastation goes back to the beginning of Elder Scrolls- it was often said for example that great tongues constantly had to wear gags and communicate only in writing and so forth.

The dragon language concept makes this ludicrous because tongues could just speak a normal language and be fine. Presumably so could the graybeards, but the game does seem to imply that at least for them even normal speech would also be destructive. Which would mean the game isn’t even being consistent to itself with the silly idea that shouting is all about the dragon language.
I actually like the idea of the Dragon language being a language of power and the study of the Voice being the study of the dragon language. I'm not saying Bethesda implemented it spectacularly in this case, but I like the idea. It's obvious that simply knowing the word isn't the only thing involved in Shouting; if that were the case, it would be just like studying any other language, rather than having to practice for years in order to learn three or four words (and not even a complete phrase) in the dragon tongue. If they'd actually expanded on that a bit, say in books in High Hrothgar, they could have made the whole lore clusterfuck make sense. Maybe the process of learning Shouts is so involved that nobody can speak both the dragon tongue and any other; perhaps the words of a Shout must be your only association with those concepts in order for the Shout to work. Or perhaps learning the dragon tongue slowly erases other languages from your mind. Obviously that's simply the limitation for humans; the Dragonborn counts as a dragon and dragons are exempt. Then you say people like Arngeir and Ulfric are only partially trained and not strong enough Tongues to have lost their ability to speak other languages (and maybe that's Arngeir's purpose in the Graybeards) and you're fine.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Arngeir's their leader though. I suppose you could change that, but as it is Arngeir's the only one able to speak normally because he's the only one to have enough mastery of the Voice to not accidentally Shout. Maybe you can Shout in any language, but for non-Dovahzul languages absorbing dragon souls isn't going to help so they don't mention that? And then the Greybeards mostly use it to shout because they were taught by Paarthurnax. That's the best rationalization I can think of.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

MinistryofLard posted:

That's just by humans who don't know any better.

Thinking about it, that theory makes a bit more sense given that in Oblivion the Gods wouldn't heal or bless you if you were unknown or enough of a bastard.

In Skyrim they don't seem to mind.

I kind of figured the gods are desperate and will take what they can get at this point. The Hero of Kvatch wasn’t really special, just an ordinary person who rose to the challenge of extraordinary times to do something other people could have but didn’t. Afterall, the Argonians stomped Dagon’s army on their own and there are a couple of quests in Oblivion where you teach other people how to storm and close the gates on their own.

But Alduin is going to actually destroy the world and everyone in it body and soul, isn’t killable by anyone ever even if they can beat him in combat, and the nine divines themselves are under successful assault by a bunch of elf nazis who control like 1/3 of the entire world already and who are themselves getting close to destroying all creation.

They’ll grit their teeth and put up with a Dragonborn who does things they don’t like if they have to.

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe it's a difficulty difference (I don't usually play on Legendary due to it dragging fights out for far too long), but when I've gone up High Hrothgar at low level, the mandatory Frost Troll is usually the only dangerous encounter on the 7,000 Steps. Otherwise, it's mostly spiders, wolves, and the occasional ice wolf.

You say that the cultists "don't count" because the guards did most of the work, but you count that dragon you lured into an Imperial base specifically so that the soldiers could do most of your dirty work...

Difficulty has nothing to do with it, it’s all about your level when you get there. If you’re high level you will fight ice wraiths, snowy saber cats, cave bears, etc. and on those narrow paths where they always see you first that can be very hard.

But if you get there at low levels yeah you find weak stuff like I did.

Anyway, with the dragon I actually had to do some work, dodge and heal, lure him a long way across the country, keep him from getting distracted, etc.. The cultists just walked up to the guards and attacked while I walked around a corner.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gah, there's so much coming up that I'm looking forward to hearing you talk about, between The Grey Beards, the Thalmore, and a third faction we haven't met yet.

I can't actually post anything else, cause all the questions I have for you about your opinion on things are still spoilers.

That said, with regards to the Hero of Kvatch not being special, that isn't 100% accurate. But I supppose that depends on what you believe about Lorkhan.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Also the Nerevarine in Morrowind, although it's kept ambiguous, is likely the first schmuck that ever fit all the ridiculous requirements. I mean, the Empire was sending in people who roughly fit the profile until one of them managed to jump through the hoops without dying, is the implication. Azura, too, was like 'hey I guess you kinda fit the bill, would you be so kind as to do this one thing? Here's a ring so you'll have an easier time convincing people'

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

ApeHawk posted:

Humans have a habit of imprisoning the divine.

Thanks for doing a goon guide to skyrim, you talk fast enough to fit in a lot of info while still speaking clearly. With no VATS system or ways to abuse i-frames the combat side frustrated me (the way cutlery frustrates a toddler) so thank you for the kick up the bum that got me back into this game. And the post-edit recordings you paste in with more info are really appreciated too, I like your age of mythology series so it's good to hear your big break down of skyrim.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

mortons stork posted:

Also the Nerevarine in Morrowind, although it's kept ambiguous, is likely the first schmuck that ever fit all the ridiculous requirements. I mean, the Empire was sending in people who roughly fit the profile until one of them managed to jump through the hoops without dying, is the implication. Azura, too, was like 'hey I guess you kinda fit the bill, would you be so kind as to do this one thing? Here's a ring so you'll have an easier time convincing people'

Nah, the failed Nerevarines were Morrowind natives who mostly predated the Empire, and typically fulfilled parts of the prophecy without really meaning to. You can talk to their ghosts in the Cavern of the Incarnate and learn their stories. But I think you're right about Azura. I've always thought the Nerevarine was more of a figurative reincarnation of Nerevar rather than a literal one. The prophecy comes true only because the player willfully makes it come true.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I'm usually annoyed how any individual chooses not be a mage in fantasy settings where learning magic is just, like, sorta hard work, how lazy do you have to be? So it really pisses me off how there's precisely (i think) 1 non-dragonborn who even bothers to try and learn the voice and use it for practical reasons, and in just 10 years of study he becomes powerful enough to become high king, because yeah it's OP, and nobody else is trying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Nah, the failed Nerevarines were Morrowind natives who mostly predated the Empire, and typically fulfilled parts of the prophecy without really meaning to. You can talk to their ghosts in the Cavern of the Incarnate and learn their stories. But I think you're right about Azura. I've always thought the Nerevarine was more of a figurative reincarnation of Nerevar rather than a literal one. The prophecy comes true only because the player willfully makes it come true.

My opinion is that the player character Mantled Nerevar. The 'prophecy' was more of a step-by-step guide to performing the Mantling than a vision of the future.

"Mantling and incarnation are separate roads; do not mistake this. The latter is built from the cobbles of drawn-bone destiny. The former: walk like them until they must walk like you. '

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Except that Almalexia literally recognizes you as her dead husband, even if you haven't started the main quest. You even have special dialogue that is basically you going "Uh, what?" And she responds with something along the lines of "Oh, you don't know yet. Sorry."

One of the conceits of the series is that the Septims have the gift of prophecy and future sight, and every one of the main characters from the Elder Scrolls games has been hand-picked by them for their task, with the exception of the Dovahkiin here (I still count the protagonist from Arena among those, even if you were technically picked by one of the Emperor's agents). In fact, the Dovahkiin could not have been picked out by a Septim because the Septim line died with Martin.

I think that's as far as I can get into that without talking about things like how dead god Lorkhan isn't actually dead, why Talos and Tiber Septim are important, and who the Elder Scrolls protagonists are actually avatars for.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

RickVoid posted:

That said, with regards to the Hero of Kvatch not being special, that isn't 100% accurate. But I supppose that depends on what you believe about Lorkhan.

I’m aware of zero actual evidence that the Hero of Kvatch (or any other protagonists) are shezarrines. Maybe there’s some that I just don’t know about, but even when the developers were asked directly for a list of Shezarrines the list they responded with did not mention any of the heroes in any way.

There’s also some weak evidence against it.

I may be biased because I prefer stories of people doing awesome things to stories of gods doing regular god things, but I’m pretty confident that my view is less speculative.

Powerfrog posted:

I'm usually annoyed how any individual chooses not be a mage in fantasy settings where learning magic is just, like, sorta hard work, how lazy do you have to be? So it really pisses me off how there's precisely (i think) 1 non-dragonborn who even bothers to try and learn the voice and use it for practical reasons, and in just 10 years of study he becomes powerful enough to become high king, because yeah it's OP, and nobody else is trying.

Well the Elder Scrolls has a problem with regular old magic being really common but regular people not using it in general. This is kind of always a problem with high magic settings though. The more magical your world is the harder it is to reconcile with the kind of understandable human behavior that will make for an interesting story.

I’m going to keep saying I have more to talk about with regard to people not using the voice in particular.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

ApeHawk posted:

Dura Lex, sed Lex, even for a divine being...

(trasl: the Law might be harsh, but is the Law)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I thought the deal was that lots of people would like to learn to Shout but the only place you can learn is High Hrothgar and the Greybeards accept hardly anyone, but they accepted and trained Ulfric for reasons I don't remember and which probably don't make sense anyway.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

As I remember Ulfric only learned Fus Ro Dah anyway and the rest was just his stabbing skills?

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I thought the deal was that lots of people would like to learn to Shout but the only place you can learn is High Hrothgar and the Greybeards accept hardly anyone, but they accepted and trained Ulfric for reasons I don't remember and which probably don't make sense anyway.

Apparently, Ulfric was accepted into the monastery at a very young age, and was slated to be a Greybeard. Except then the whole Great War with the Thalmor thing happened, and Ulfric abandoned the monastery to help the Imperials. He never did get very far in his studies of the Voice, but apparently far enough to provide a critical advantage against someone who wouldn't be expecting it. Incidentally, this is also probably why Arngeir is so adamant about the Voice not getting used for mortal affairs - even discounting Jurgen Windcaller and his teachings, he knows that it didn't work out well the last time someone tried. Still hypocritical, but at least an understandable sort of hypocritical.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I think this new episode is one of my better ones:

Day 7: Tome Raider

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008
drat dude, you're way too good at this and age of mythology.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Man that was cleverly done! I applaud you!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Very impressive showing here, drat.

Also, I feel like that fort is part of an unfinished questline or something. The pile of dead people are clearly the family members he asked about, but you can't mention it. The cells they would have been in if alive exist, and are locked, with a key nearby, but are empty. The questgiver mentions another guy by name, and your even given the option to try to learn more informatio (for which you get a brush off, suggesting there is more going on), but the keep is just full of nameless bandits.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alberto Gonzalez posted:

drat dude, you're way too good at this and age of mythology.
It's like watching him first person AoM.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

RickVoid posted:

Very impressive showing here, drat.

Also, I feel like that fort is part of an unfinished questline or something. The pile of dead people are clearly the family members he asked about, but you can't mention it. The cells they would have been in if alive exist, and are locked, with a key nearby, but are empty. The questgiver mentions another guy by name, and your even given the option to try to learn more informatio (for which you get a brush off, suggesting there is more going on), but the keep is just full of nameless bandits.

Yeah, it's pretty clear there was intended to be more to the quest. I have my suspicions that it might have been meant to interact with the civil war questline, which was greatly reduced from its original planned scope and complexity. I'm not sure about the dead people being clearly his family though. It's certainly plausible, but lots of bandit forts have piles of dead people around and they aren't even all nords or anything.

Poil posted:

It's like watching him first person AoM.

Thanks! That would be an awesome game actually. And I'd probably be amazing at it.

Melth fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 11, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I get deadline pressure and all, but I'll never understand why a greatly expanded Civil War questline didn't become a DLC instead of just being scrapped. :effort: I guess.

Melth posted:

I'm not sure about the dead people being clearly his family though. It's certainly plausible, but lots of bandit forts have piles of dead people around and they aren't even all nords or anything.

I think it's usually vampires or necromancers who have dead people lying around their hideouts though. In any case it's pretty weird to just have a pile of corpses rotting in a closet inside your fort for no apparent reason, rather than e.g. tying rocks to them and tossing them in the lake that's right outside or burying them out back or whatever else that doesn't result in rotting human flesh permeating the whole fort with a horrendous wretch inducing smell.

When the dude first recruits you he mentions that he recently made a failed attempt to retake the fort, so the headcanon I developed about it is that the bandits executed his family after that and just have them all stuffed in a closet until nightfall so they can discreetly dispose of the bodies outside :shrug:

e: or the bandits expect the fort to be re-taken eventually so they're just leaving the corpses there as a horrific gently caress-you, maybe?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 11, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mzbundifund posted:

Can't tell a Nord from a Dunmer by their model size alone? And you call yourself a Skyrim expert!

Without mods everyone looks exactly the same so I wouldn't blame him!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

There were some decent Civil War mods that added a couple zones around the world that would occasionally have pitched battles of 5-15 on each side (there was a sliding scale you could set iirc). Was nice to liven up the world a bit more, I think it also changed the Imperial/Stormcloak missions to have more foes and allies on each side so it didn't feel as much like clearing bandit camps for the 400th time.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Chronische posted:

There were some decent Civil War mods that added a couple zones around the world that would occasionally have pitched battles of 5-15 on each side (there was a sliding scale you could set iirc). Was nice to liven up the world a bit more, I think it also changed the Imperial/Stormcloak missions to have more foes and allies on each side so it didn't feel as much like clearing bandit camps for the 400th time.

Those civil war battles honestly felt much LESS interesting than bandit forts

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I actually enjoy clearing almost all of the bandit forts in Skyrim, it's Generic Draugr Tomb #53 that starts to feel tedious after a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I saw this LP was happening in my recommended videos a while back but only now got around to watching it because I didn't have time for hour-long videos until recently. It's pretty good! Got me to re-install at any rate, though with a number more mods than you're using

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Melth posted:

Those civil war battles honestly felt much LESS interesting than bandit forts

Unmodded absolutely, it's such a drag. The entire questline is pretty much a massive drag to be honest, it's one of the most boring in the entire game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I actually enjoy clearing almost all of the bandit forts in Skyrim, it's Generic Draugr Tomb #53 that starts to feel tedious after a while.

Draugr are among my favorite enemies for all kinds of reasons. It's a good thing too, because the game certainly WOULD feel tedious after a while if they weren't!

cheetah7071 posted:

I saw this LP was happening in my recommended videos a while back but only now got around to watching it because I didn't have time for hour-long videos until recently. It's pretty good! Got me to re-install at any rate, though with a number more mods than you're using

Glad you like it!

Chronische posted:

Unmodded absolutely, it's such a drag. The entire questline is pretty much a massive drag to be honest, it's one of the most boring in the entire game.

Also one of the most glitchy and slipshod. I have actually to this day never completed the Civil War for the Imperials. It always glitches partway through in a way which proves completely unfixable with all known workarounds AND the console.

I'm pretty confident it was one of the last things they worked on and they ran out of time halfway through.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Even though the civil war is supposed to be one of the driving aspects of the game it's the least thought out. It's too bad, because for EITHER party it's pretty clear that the DRAGONBORN is the rightful High King/Emperor but that's never an option, despite being able to be the guildmaster of every guild on the continent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh the draugr themselves don't bother me. It's just how samey most of the dungeons you find them in are.

Chronische posted:

Even though the civil war is supposed to be one of the driving aspects of the game it's the least thought out. It's too bad, because for EITHER party it's pretty clear that the DRAGONBORN is the rightful High King/Emperor but that's never an option, despite being able to be the guildmaster of every guild on the continent.

I've developed a pretty specific headcanon about this which I won't bore you with until much later in the LP (like after Melth has had a chance to discuss the whole thing) but I will note now how much it pisses me off that you're forced by the script to swear an oath of loyalty to the Emperor/to Ulfric to join either side of the war and it's goddamn ridiculous. You can kinda justify it if you do the civil war stuff very early in the game, but the Last Dragonborn, Consumer of Dragon Souls, Slayer of Alduin, would never ever in a million years swear an oath of lifelong obedience to anyone and it drives me batty.

And furthermore :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If TESVI does another timeskip I wouldn't be surprised if the last dragonborn is said to have founded an imperial dynasty in some book somewhere